Moonspear I never miss a beat
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
All Welcome 
Speedy was on her way outside their borders to gather up some more plants when her attention was drawn by a familiar scent. She had not smelled it at all since leaving home, and she grew excited at the possibility of finding the source. Nose to the ground, the healer followed the draw of the sweetish scent through the dense woods at the base of the mountain until she came to the edge of the forest where some sun was allowed to peak through the thinning of trees. She was looking for a particular indicator and before too long, she found it; a dying tree with some of its leaves missing. 

She darted up to the tree and sniffed around the base a few times before looking up the length of the trunk. There, she saw the lichen that had attached itself to the bark, drawn by the increase in sunlight. Speedy stood up on her hind legs and stretched her lithe body as far as she could; she could jut barely reach the plant, but she managed to get her teeth around a good portion of it. She gave a a gentle tug, careful not to damage the lichen too much, and with a mouthful of the strange-tasting plant, she dropped back down on all fours, dropping her find on the ground. She sniffed it for a few seconds, hardly believing what she had just found. The plant was very sensitive, and she hadn't been able to find any of it since coming to Teekon. It was a good aid against infection, and her tail wagged a little at her excitement at finding such a gift.
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
His rounds had swung him out wide around the mountain's base, and a little beyond at certain points. Chiefly, the sterling yearling was out on lookout and it had yielded him nothing yet for today—certainly no traces of his sister he so sought, or anything else of note to busy himself with, so he began to head back in to nose around there on a new prowl.

On his way, he came upon one of the new faces on the mountain and approached her doings far too easily, tail curled into a wag with a bit of lift. Hey, hi, he said as he trotted nearer and glanced between her and the lichen now on the ground. Though his expression scrunched with a hint of a squint at the leaf-like find, his demeanor and stance was otherwise friendly—all curious about her and her business. Pointing his muzzle towards the plant in question, he asked: Needing that for something? He was sure it probably had some use somehow, even if he had not seen it out to use right before his eyes; he'd collected a number of strange things at the order of more knowledgeable wolves, so he was open-minded and eager to find out.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The voice drew her attention from her find, and she turned her head just as an unfamiliar packmate approached. She wagged her tail in response to his greeting, smiling and dipping her head in return. Hey, Speedy replied, taking a couple steps towards him. I was going to store a little in my cache; it's really good for wounds, she stated, answering his question. Offering him another smile, she added, I'm Speedy, by the way. I'm new here. 

She had been doing a lot of exploring and trying to keep herself busy. Before coming here, she had been a wanderer for a while, and she wasn't used to not having something to do. Luckily, building new herb caches here had kept her pretty busy, especially with the added pressure of winter being around he corner. She had met some of her new packmates already, but she knew there were still a few more around that she didn't know yet, so she was glad for the surprise run in with this wolf.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He finished his approach well enough to come in plenty close to her (her demeanor suggested friendliness anyway so he wasn't really worrying about it to be honest), and squinted appropriately at the lichen as she revealed its purpose. Oh yeah? How do you use it? he asked, trying to decide if he should conjure images of a paste or just.. putting the flaky-bits on a wound.. or what. I see it around sometimes.. on different things and places. Does it have to be a certain kind? Are there different kinds? he asked when it spurred his realization that it did look different sometimes. Although he could admit that he did not usually pay extremely close attention to lichen around this mountain.

Ah, I'm Jarilo, not new here. he added, backtracking a bit and leaning over to investigate where she had peeled it from better.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She smiled, glad to indulge in another's curiosity. I always learned to soak it in water and apply it to a wound to prevent or treat infection, she answered first. She nosed the sage green lichen in a pile at her feet. This type isn't super common. This is the first I've found any since coming to Teekon, she added with a small shrug. 

It's nice to meet you, Jarilo, she replied, giving him a friendly smile as she watched him inspect the part of the tree where the fungus had once been. Do you have an interest in healing? Speedy asked, still watching him inquisitively.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All noted, he nodded, all quiet with a thoughtful silence while drank in her explanation. Eyes trailing from its former space, to the lichen now.. he supposed everything she said made sense; though he'd definitely never looked at the bizarre growths on rocks and trees in that kind of light before. Maybe now he might. Neat, he finally did breath, and had started to wave his tail gently then too.

His first exposures of what the right plants at the right times could really do had come from helping medics with their collections and caches. Learning about healing had come from that, and knowing what he needed to get that was useful. But he mainly enjoyed other aspects of it, he felt. Kind of? I like the plant stuff, mainly.. It seems to really come second-hand learning what can do whatever, he answered. It was way too useful, so he wasn't complaining, but he wasn't looking to expand exclusively into medicine himself. Do you have a spot for your cache yet? he asked.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy nodded. Yeah it does, she agreed. She had come to pretty much the same conclusion when learning from her mother, although she had learned the were also a lot more to it once she actually started honing her skills. She always enjoyed helping others, though, so she was glad to do it.

Speedy shook her head at his question. I've been storing them in my den, she explained. It was a far better place than what she had as a lone wolf. I used to have a cache near here, and I moved everything to my den, plus I've been gathering extra to try and stock up for the winter, she added. She smiled warmly at the dark male when she finished talking. As much as she had dreaded joining a pack and ending her wandering ways, she couldn't deny how much she enjoyed the social aspects. She had only found her friend Slavik a few weeks before joining Moonsper, so the months before that had been pretty lonely, which she thought was probably the worst part of being a loner.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
The yearling dipped his head, listening through a soft nod and he was relieved she had already found a den to stock, too. That worked. It was good she got right to the point on that., he thought. and he was instantly thankful the pack's stocks had another skilled eye tending to them.

As for winter, he tried not to let himself frown. Already much had wilted back as far as certain plantlife went. There was no way they could expect some of the more delicate things to survive a mountainside hard frost.. but it still made him feel kind of somber, and almost like he was missing out on something. I've helped my sister with some of her stocks, like gathering stuff mainly, and know some things, he boasted so subtly, curving it with a smirk. Mainly he was keen to learn more, if he could. So let me know if there's anything you're after in particular. I can keep an eye out. he offered.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy offered a friendly grin. That's sweet of you. Thank you, she answered first. I can always use cobwebs, so it would be super helpful to have someone else keeping an eye out for them. She hoped it wasn't too much to ask. Some may not want to mess with cobwebs, but they were very useful, and she could never have too many. 

What do you like to busy yourself with? she asked with friendly curiosity. If healing and gathering herbs wasn't his work of choice, she wondered what he did like to do. Speedy was eager to get to know her packmates, especially this one since he seemed so nice and helpful.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Cobwebs? Surprisingly doable to him, and helpful that it was simple so he was nodding without a second thought. He didn't mind--and would have to keep that thought present, though. Jarilo did tend to cover a good share of mountainside in his typical day, and he reasoned if he paid attention enough, he'd come across some and her stocks would be in luck if so. She seemed to appreciate the offer, so he dipped his nose again and said You're welcome, I'll see what I see.. and again, punctuated with a small smirk and friendly tail-wag.

What didn't quite occur to him yet was actually gathering them, and neatly transporting such a matter but he'd learn as he went when the time came—or he'd bomb it entirely. He had never tried. His web-related encounters were usually by accident so none of that even registered as a potential concern, especially not after she asked about him. Oh mostly I patrol, and, scout a little sometimes... or lately train with my younger siblings most of all, which was his condensed way of saying he looked after them when his parents or other siblings didn't want to anymore. So a little bit of a lot of things, really, he nodded, knowing he was far from a specialized wolf; he liked to balance his interests with a lot of this and that.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The mention of scouting further piqued her interest but first, she was curious about his siblings. How many siblings do you have? she asked first. She figured it would be helpful information to have when trying to make sure she got to know everyone in her new pack. Do you guys train to fight or something? Speedy asked next with a curious tilt of her head. She hoped he didn't mind the questions; she liked to learn about other wolves and so she usually asked a lot of questions at first. 

Next, she smiled a little and asked,Do you go far when you scout? She thought that if she wasn't already pretty set on helping others physically and emotionally, she would most definitely be a scout. I traveled around a lot before I joined this pack and became pretty familiar with a lot of places, so if you ever need help or just want some company when you're scouting, I'd be glad to tag along, she offered with a wag of her tail. It was only fair to offer her help in return after he had been so willing to help her out. Plus, she would love to explore again; she loved her time as a lone wolf and had been reluctant to join a pack at first before winter sort of forced her to find a safer, more permanent home. She had forgotten how much she loved pack life, though, so she was ultimately glad to be here and have packmates to help again. But, she still had the urge to wander and felt like she should allow herself to do so every once in a while.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Quite a few, he said, lifting his nose very slightly. Did you have any? he asked back, head tilting. She surely knew some of his.. she was here, after all. It was actually a complicated story on the exact number to answer her, though, so hence his vague reply to start. For one, he knew there was one misplaced older sister who he vaguely remembered and he knew Galaxy had died when they were all pretty young still. Because his mother was shady about the subject, he was prettty sure there was another sibling. At least. Again, considering the topic and a matriarch's endless riddles to never give a straight answer about anything ever, he wasn't sure—and was learning to accept that. Here though, there's my three older sisters, then Vela my littermate sister, and my two little brothers and a little sister. Hopefully that was a decent answer. He was very much the middle sibling among them and right now, those seven (eight if Yami would ever get home!!) were the ones he cared most about.

Anyway, it was the life he was handed, and it had worked so far. Fighting, yeah. Hunting.. mountain-climbing. Lots, and it depends. Jarilo added; with his tendency to be more talkative than most of his family, having questions to ping from kept him going, but she'd asked! I don't usually go too far but I want to visit the seaside again, more.. he rambled on, happy that she had offered what she did now when he had plenty to see beyond, and a growing curiosity in the subject. Whenever winter isn't too bad to.. and things aren't busy here, of course. I'll remember that, he said.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Jarilo answered that he had quite a few siblings, and she could relate. She smiled when he asked about her family. I also have a lot of siblings. Most of them are older, but I have two younger brothers and a younger sister that were born right before I left, she started, her smile faltering a little when she thought about how she had missed them growing up. Her decision to leave definitely gave her some regrets, but it was what she needed to do. I also have three littermates--three brothers. She missed them the most; the four of them were very close. All this talk about her family was beginning to make her sad, so she was thankful for the change in subject when he began to list some of his own siblings. She was curious as to why he made the point say 'here,' so naturally, she asked, What do you mean by here. Have some of your brothers and sisters left the pack? Maybe they were like her and wanted to forge their own path in life?

He went on the describe what all they did when they trained, and it gave the empath an idea. Since you seem to have experience training, would you be willing to teach me how to defend myself a little better? she asked. I mean, only if you want to...don't feel like you have to or anything, she quickly added, not wanting him to agree because he felt obligated. That had only just met after all. She really did need to learn more self-defense, though. She had really just gotten lucky that no one ever tried to hurt her while she was out on her own for all that time. It wasn't like she refrained from being social either; she very frequently waltzed up to strangers and initiated conversations with them--surprisingly enough, it had never gotten her into much trouble. The only real trouble had been the accidental run in with that damn lynx, but she had survived with only moderate injury, so again, lucky.

Her dark packmate mentioned the coast and her tail began to wag. I love the coast. It was one of my favorite places to be, she stated with a smile. Her smile turned to a grin when he accepted her offer to join him on scouting missions. He stated it would have to wait until after winter, which she totally understood ;it could be kind of dangerous now, not to mention way too cold. Of course. Thanks! she replied, her tail wagging excitedly again. She had plenty to do and explore until then, but would be looking forward to spring.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Ohh, he definitely related—although her sibling balance was different than his, she sounded like she had way too many brothers whereas he was surrounded by sisters, he was glad to find she was a fellow middle sibling, and an outnumbered one at that. Yeah, some have left. One sister is dead.. well, for sure Who knew, but fact remained that Galaxy was dead. Maybe the ones that had left had joined the ones that had died by now, who was he to say anything like that for sure? When his family's history was so much older than him, and draped in enough mystery, he didn't know.

Of course, he chirruped, trying not to seem too eager on the spot though. He had nothing to argue with helping her get better at defense. We can spar some time.. and I can show you some stuff then too, he added on eagerly. With his brothers, it was a lot of physical doing, the same way his parents and sisters had helped shape him. Really, he just looked at it as a lot of practice sometimes, but time helped finesse get better, too. Whenever. Jarilo grinned toothily. He was usually around in some capacity, or not hard to find in skimming across the mountainside.

As for the oceanside, he wondered why so many liked it so well. He was understanding the allure in part, but he was too swept up in the newness to know for sure—which was why he needed to go back, and see more of it too. I've only been all the way to it once, he explained. What makes it your favorite? he asked.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Concern twisted her expression when he told her one of his sisters might be dead. He didn't seem very upset as he spoke the words, and she wondered if maybe he was being stoic. She would be devastated to lose a sibling and assumed others would have the same reaction. That's awful, she replied solemnly. I'm so sorry. Even if she couldn't be sure how he felt about his family member's death, she couldn't not offer sympathy. She simply had to offer comfort where she thought it was needed.

He agreed to help her learn to better defend herself, stating they could spar whenever. His words were followed by a wide grin; it was contagious and so she responded with a grin of her own. Thanks, she replied excitedly, extremely glad that he showed no hint of being put out by her request.

I like how calm it is there and how it smells, she answered when he asked why she liked the coast. She guessed she was easy to please most of the time, but oh well; no sense in making life difficult. Have you been anywhere else?she asked, tilting her head curiously and smiling.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Her condolences kind of caught him off guard, but he blinked and rolled his shoulders. Ah, thanks.. he brushed it off, mainly because he wasn't too hurt about it. He had barely known Galaxy, had never had time go grow overly close to Korei, and didn't think he wanted to know about any of the other shady shit his parents might be hiding, so didn't care to be bothered by it right now. I was really young when it was, though.. so.. Yeah, he felt it necessary to elaborate poorly there, for her sake. He was far more invested in his living sisters anyway, made clear by his relative nonchalance. They were enough to keep up with as it was.

Anyway... he couldn't disagree with that, either, and could imagine a smell like the coast growing on someone. Knowing it once, and only through others before that, he was still in the process of getting used to it when faced with it. Yeah? The smell there is so different.. the way it.. feels, even? Weird. he breathed deep, trying to recall it. Maybe she would understand in part, but he was remembering experiencing salty, relatively humid air when he was used to mountain elevations.

As for her question back, he nodded and swung his nose south first--off towards where smaller mountains spawned, then tracing back to the west where the barrier mountains backed them. Up north/northwest of that all, it opened up, and well, that was the way they had taken to head towards the sea. He was familiar in that way. Nothing far away from here. Mostly all over the mountain range's places, and like, just around by it in the valleys and flatlands. We went to the ocean heading off that way,. he kind of tried to point that way, which was roughly towards Ouroboros Spine. And over towards Neverwinter's way then south of that is where I've been more. His directions were haphazard but maybe worth a scrap.

The yearling had been here and there. Mainly, he wanted to see what was further away. He was reaching a point in his life where, apparently, his feet were feeling kind of itchy--even for him, someone well-rooted in his routine that involved home at the end of it all.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The concern didn't leave her face, but she understood. If he had been young and not known them very well, then it was easy to see how he might not be very affected by the passing of his siblings. Still, it kind of made her sad, but she only nodded in response, her expression full of sad understanding. She didn't want to to press him any further on it even if it seemed to not be too troubling for him.

Yeah. It's so warm. I love it, the empath clarified. I grew up very far south from here, so the cold is...not always easy, she explained further. She figured she would get used to it--she hoped so anyway. The mountains were especially cold, but that was probably her only compliant so far. The coast had been warm and humid, well save for the last time she went when it was almost as cold as everywhere else, but she still liked to remember the way the sun had warmed her coat every time she had visited over the summer.

She listened quietly, nodding and following along with his directions as he told her all the places he had visited. She looked forward to being as familiar with the mountains as he seemed to be. She had spent most her wandering days in the flatlands and the valley at the bottom of these mountains, so she had no problem understanding his descriptions of where he had been in those places. Yeah, I know those places. I've been there a lot too, she offered with a wag of her tail and a smile. Well, the places in the valley and flatlands, the healer clarified. I'd like to know the mountains that much eventually. Once it was warmer, she would be doing just that.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Warmth—a reasonable answer, of course! He nodded while her mention of growing up south of her made him look at her coat in greater detail, meanwhile wondering if that was so. Maybe it was something that explained why Yama and Yami were mottled tans too when none of the rest of them really were. Mom said her family came from northeast here, and Dad didn't know his blood parents. Maybe it was south.. like Speedy. It was something to mention, maybe!

Ah.. my mom said sometimes the cold isn't so bad here. Some years it really is, though.. he sighed, kind of with a too bad sort of attitude towards it. He grew up with it, acclimated well, so didn't get to have much of an opinion really. But it does make it hard to get to know the mountains in the winter. Spring will help, trust me, he said, feeling sympathy for her there, but it was how it was. Winter wasn't even on its way out yet, so they just all had to get comfortable and wait it out.

Anyway, he was guessing she had probably had about enough of him, and he was kind of fancying a change of scenery himself. I should probably get going soon but I'll be around, and all. And if I see the.. cobwebs, he gestured his nose kind of vaguely around in a circle up towards the trees. See you later, okay? he said, kind of getting ready to trot off and go rally up his brothers like usual. He had enjoyed spending a bit of time with her, so didn't think against doing it again sometime soon. She seemed like she would fit well in with the Moonspear routine, he thought.
hope a fade is okay, he needs some ends and i don't wanna be a holdup much more! :D
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Totally fine! Thanks for the thread!

Spring. She would remember that and come spring, she would be all over the mountains. The urge to explore was strong for her, and so she looked forward to the having a whole mountain range to keep her occupied. I'm sure you know better than most, she replied with a warm smile. He had grown up here after all. 

It seemed their meeting had come to its end, and Jarilo stated he should probably get going. Speedy nodded. Of course, don't let me keep you. when he mentioned the cobwebs, her smile widened and she replied, Thanks. That would be a great help. She nodded again when he said he would see her later. I'm sure you will. It was nice meeting you, Jarilo, she offered brightly. She watched him leave and returned to her work pulling a little more lichen from the tree before eventually taking it back to her den to store for later use.