Heron Lake Plateau New life, new start?
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Joining 
Hello, hello! I hope this is good!

Rye had been walking for days, wondering aimlessly in the direction he was told to go by a passerby a few weeks back. The multi colored male had inquired about any packs that resided nearby and unfortunatly none were within a days walk, or even within a week. Wearisome news to Rye but news he was hoping for nonetheless, a pack. One he could possibly join, live in, and thrive in. A place to call home, a fresh start and new faces to meet. A chance at a mate, a family, however Rye knew that was far off if he was to join a pack. Though, it was all just passing thoughts as he traversed the land around him, hoping to run into a border. Rye shook out his fur of any debris within, from simple dirt to small fallen twigs, maybe even a sticker or two that decided to hitch a ride. A cleaning was in order but it would have to wait, a strong scent emerged from a nearby tree, piquing Rye's interest.

The male walked over, breathing in deep with his muzzle close to the scent. It was markings, perhaps Rye had found the place that was rumored to be. Redhawk, if he remebered correctly. At last, there he was, standing at the metaphorical gates, ones powerfully scented by unkowns. The male stood at the border, pondering if he would be welcomed or shunned away. Risks were high, and so was Rye's worry, alas it was no time for dawdling. If he was to gain access to the grounds a meeting was to be arranged.

Rye sat where he stood, throwing his muzzle back into the air and filling his lungs with air to full compacity. He let out a deep, earthy howl, one to merely alert to his presence at the border. With that howl came even more dangers, unknown creatures could lurk within the land and Rye would be none the wiser, all he could hope for was a speedy response.
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The sun shone brightly in the January sky, though it did nothing to warm the frigid lands below; the temperature remained well below freezing. Towhee plodded across the frozen landscape, gazing dully ahead of her as she made her way to the borders. The sunlight did little to cheer her or put any pep in her step. If anything, she felt like she was dragging, her leg feeling particularly numb with the deep cold. A sigh escaped her, warm breath unfurling slowly from her mouth and nostrils as if she were some sort of dragon.

When she arrived near the northern boundary and climbed down to begin a circuit, she spotted a stranger waiting below. Towhee didn't brighten so much as sharpen, moving with a little more haste now as she closed the distance. She was a lot less inclined to bully outsiders away lately, a fact motivated by the fear that Redhawks would crumble as her pack mates were drawn to Firebirds like, well, moths to flame. They could use more able bodies on the plateau and this unfamiliar wolf appeared rather hale.

"What's your name and business?" Towhee queried, her voice as clunky as ever as she slowed to a stop, body held rigidly, and continued her visual assessment.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye stretched, his front paws extending forward while his hind quarters extended up. A series of pops, and cracks sounded as he furthered his stretch. Most of the cracks and pops coming from his back and legs, it felt wonderful to Rye. Not a thing could match the feeling of stretching out stiff muscles and ridgid bones, almost adequate to catching a meaty rabbit in the dead of winter. The males stomach rumbled, griped at the lack of food within, that was yet another thing he had to consider but first thing was first, his contiuned attendance at the borders.

Time had slowed as he waited, his mind gnawing at his patience, or rather what little he had left. Waiting was one of the many things he considered himself to be terrible at. Rye blamed his mother for this weak point in character, she had always doted on him, never letting a need go unsatisfied for more than a a day. Fortunately, Rye's bordem was, interupted by a set of paws padding against the ground. Rye looked swiftly, alert and alarmed, he could see a dark wolf was approching. In the short time the multi colored male had to gaze, he took in the others stature, their height, coloration and how they carried themselves. Rye determiened they were of high importance but it was simply a guess based on apperance, however respect was due nevertheless. As the other neared, he bowed his head, fully aware of the etiquette expected from wolves.

"I am Rye, I have travled far and wish to join your pack. I had heard rumors of a large pack that claimed territory here. Redhawk, I believe. Is this correct?" The male asked, his voice even and smooth, a purposeful attempt at keeping nonthreatening. His head lifted, deeming proper dues of respect was sufficently made, but keeping his eye contact at a minimal.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
89 Posts
Ooc — belle
feel free to skip, he's just watching

The stub-tailed Blackthorn did not frequent the borders, either passing right over them or remaining within the central areas of the redhawk claim, surrounded by family and friends. The outside world intruiged him, of course, but he had no desire to run into another lynx and get his ass beat up again, not any time soon - he was lucky that Phox had been there with him before, else his head might've ended up on a stick. Well, not really... but a part of him wouldn't have been surprised.

Crystals of snow crunched beneath pale paws as the boy (young man?) strolled toward the source of the howl, aiming to catch a peek of whatever was going on; he was tracking Towhee's familiar scent, still cautious but taking comfort in the presence of a trusted wolf to keep him company. When he emerged, Rabbit hung back, bronze gaze gleaming from a short distance and ears cupped forward on his crown to listen to the discussion occuring between the Beta and the newcomer - it was the very thing that drew him here in the first place that kept him here: the burning curiousity. He wanted to know how the others dealt with strangers at the edge of the plateau.
for you,
there's nothing in this world i wouldn't do
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee groaned inwardly when the stranger bowed his head and started talking to his feet. Rather than interrupt the words she couldn't hear, she waited for him to glance upward again. He didn't quite meet her eyes, though now she could at least see his lips.

"Please look toward me when you speak. I didn't catch any of that. I'm deaf," she explained as patiently as she could. "Now, repeat what you just said," Towhee added, oblivious to Cinder's presence somewhere behind her.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
A deaf wolf? Rye's head slightly cocked to the side with intrigue, though yes the male had met deafened wolves before, he was still interested in how and why the wolf was deaf. Pushing his questioned out of the way, he nodded at the request given and repeated himself.

"My name is Rye, and I wish to join your pack. I heard rumors of a pack that claimed territory here, Redhawk, I believe. Is that correct?" Rye opted to word himself slightly differently, simply to leave out unneeded information.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He took the information in stride, repeating himself as instructed. She wondered what rumors he'd heard but wondered if she could be bothered to ask. What did Towhee care what others said about the Redhawks? The only wolves whose opinions mattered lived right here.

"Yeah, this is Redhawks territory. I'm Towhee, Beta." She paused, tongue swirling around the inside of her mouth as she pondered what to ask. She wanted to make this as quick as possible, so she rapid fired two questions at him: "What makes you want to join us specifically? And what have you got to offer?"

443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
How do you pronouce Towhee's name? Tow he? Just want to make sure!

Towhee, a Beta. Rye had guess right, it was someone of great importance. He would have to pat himself on the back later for two quick questions shot his way. He took a minute to respond, knowing his very answer was going to decide his future. Rye's father taught him to hunt at a very young age but he was no great hunter, just enough to get the job done and fill a few bellies. Rye's swallowed hard, looking past and around Towhee as if looking for answers. Time was growing longer, and he wasnt fond of keeping the other waiting, so he settled on scouting. Risking his life for the furtherment of the pack, or a simple scouting ahead for dangers, packs, wildlife, ect. Yes, it would have to do and Rye hoped it would be enough.

"I could make a good scout, messenger if need be. Truthfully anything to do with that sort of work, long distances is no trouble for me, as well as danger. I don't care, if it needs to be done, I will do it within a heartbeat." Rye sounded almost proud of his willingness to go into danger, or scout alone for days, and he was proud. Perhaps a little too proud but he was young, and a bit niave. "As for why I specifically wanted to join here, well, in all honesty, this pack was closest."
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Yes, "Toe-hee"! :)

His mentions of scouting and danger immediately made her think of Bat. Towhee's eye twitched but she didn't say anything, letting him finish. Even without the recent tragedy, the Beta didn't see a whole lot of merit in these particular skills. Life in a pack should be sustained in the pack's territory, for the most part. She'd already thought little of ranging just for the sake of it and now Bat's loss made her distaste all the stronger.

"We don't need any scouts or messengers," she said frankly. But she hadn't forgotten that she did want to recruit him. "What about hunting? Guarding? You any good at those?" Towhee pressed.

443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye nodded, understanding the lack of need for scouts. His mind flipped to his father, and all that he had taught him, so much knowledge within one wolf. Yet so little time to gather it all, part of Rye regrets leaving so early but he can just blame that all on his youth.

"Hunting? I am no master hunter but I can get the job done. As for guard? Yeah, I'm more than willing to be a guard but I am not one for fighting, however that does not mean I am above it. I prefer to talk tensions down with words first rather than resort to violence immediately." Rye informed, unsure if his reluctance to violence would work agaisnt him in getting a spot as guard.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She appreciated his honesty when, instead of simply saying what she wanted to hear, Rye included a couple of disclaimers. Towhee nodded and said, "Fair enough." She then lapsed into silence for a few beats, considering. Once upon a time, she would've drilled him harder than this. Yet she was genuinely afraid the Redhawks would fall apart. The only thing she could think to do was recruit, even perfect strangers with zero ties to the family. Would it really be Redhawks anymore, when everyone she knew left, to be replaced with anonymous warm bodies? Towhee shoved that thought away.

"All right, Rye. You're in," Towhee said, ignoring the slight unease as she stepped aside and motioned to the slope that led up to the plateau proper. "Make yourself at home, I guess. Oh, and make a point to introduce yourself to Quixote. He's the Alpha. Other than that, just earn your keep and I'm sure you'll fit in." And with that done, she had a patrol to do, though she waited to see if Rye had any last words.

443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
More than welcome to post one last post, or just leave Rye to explore! Up to you. Thanks for this piece!

Rye could hear the consideration in just those two words alone, it got him excited, something he was trying hard to stifle but the subtle signs were there. His ears had lifted from its nuetral resting position, to a more alert and attentive one. His dirty tail slightly swayed side to side, and his once relaxed posture turned more ridged and stiff. Yet even with his excitement being contained by a thin layer of self control, the anxiety of it all still ate at him, picking small bits of excitement away as the seconds dragged on. Something the male was moderately thankful for, another layer to keep his childish excitement in.

Hearing his accptance was quite the relief, easing all anxiety within seconds but leaving plenty of room for unbridled eagerness to go left unchecked. Though Rye's save and grace was his distaste for making a complete and total fool of himself, so he nodded his head and spoke, "I appreciate you giving me this chance, I will make the best of this and earn my keep. It was a pleasure to meet you Towhee, I'm sure I will be seeing you around." With that, Rye stepped within the territory and into a fresh start. Redhawk, his new home awaits.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."