Moonspear How long have I been on the hunt for you?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Pre-Speedy/Zafina thread! @Dirge

Dirge did not leave Hydra (though she did not seem to begrudge him this). Each morning, evening, and night, the flame that would not be put out without him burned. For a little while, he was able to smolder it so that the overwhelming feeling of it would not destroy everything else in her wake. Such had just occurred, and they rest in the upper reaches of Moonspear. Hydra let herself lay and rest for a time; she had been active in the packlands, making sure no other women got any wicked ideas to take what was hers—

What was hers? 

Her gaze shifted toward her handsome, tawny companion. Her mate, devilish knave that he was. She smiled to him, sighing; why had she waited so long for this? The days felt like minutes in the ways that they spent it, seldom apart. But it had been worth it, she felt. By the look on his face, it seemed as though that wait had been forgotten. 

Would you rather sons, she asked, very much so wanting them, or daughters? She finished, tail thumping against the earth.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
Of all the things to cross his mind, that had not been one of them. Hydra's brain seemed firmly lodged in one position and one position only; Dirge had been busying himself with his foot for several long minutes. The betrayal that anything at all crossed his mind, when there were many topics he cycled over. His teeth grazed over a callous he had only begun to pull at when she poised her question in the lazy, humid air on a day already long. It was not the question he had anticipated from her but words had been few between them recently; nature took its course, guiding them unconsciously where conscious thought did not go.

”Do you really get to choose? Some magic edible out there you're going to ingest?” he baited, moving to worry a spot between toes. He did not think she got a choice in the matter, whether children were boys or girls. Women certainly possessed their own power, exuding their own control over many things, but biology? It seemed random. As his tongue loosened a clot of mud from who knew when free, he almost thought to change the subject on discomfort alone—he may have had his way with her and she him, but there had been no suggestion across his radar that anything would come of it.

After all, he had never had anything come of it, season or not.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She watched as he worried away at himself, and Hydra thought then to preen her own foreleg. Let it never be said she was not presentable, even in her more exhausted of states. His words were heard and her eyes flashed as she wondered at such a thing. Perhaps Lyra might know the true answer to that, though Hydra doubted such plants existed. 

I do not think so, she drawled, the corner of her lip curling into a smile as her tongue paused in its stroke once she reached her ankle. Still—I cannot help for all boys, she dared to hope aloud, tiring of grooming herself and crawling to interject herself in her mates trajectory, which she was never truly ever out of. She lazily pushed herself to a seated position to groom him, teeth playing at a knot that was no doubt the result of a tussle of theirs. Hydra was gentle, however; her mind was elsewhere, yet present. Dirge certainly never left it.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
Didn't think so? So it wasn't out of the question that maybe such a thing existed. He still didn't think so, for if it were the case then perhaps he would have come out differently and would not be in the present situation that he found himself in. One that he handled delicately and not for want of her or of his own, but rather what it would mean down the road. It was such a haphazard thing to plunge into, the risks more numerous to him now that he had started down that path. But for now, it was worth it. It was worth every touch against a body that felt feverish now more than ever. He liked the taste of forbidden fruit most of all, even at its expensive tag.

As though on cue, she hovered over him and his lazy ministrations stopped for a moment. His muzzle rose to meet hers until he realized what it was that she sought to do, and he hummed curiously. It had been a while since the favor of grooming had been repaid and in that fevered flush, he recalled the hot springs hazily as she spoke.

”I do have four sisters, for whatever that's worth,” he commented, and the previous scene whisked away. He settled again as her teeth combed through a knot he couldn't have reached had he tried, and a question sprang to life off his tongue. ”Why only boys? Afraid your daughters might be prone to being stolen away by knaves? We are a persistent lot if nothing else.” Humor escaped him in a gust, though it was not lost on him that these could potentially be his as well.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her mind wandered to the same place; he had done well, courting Moonspear's Beta. In little time, Hydra revealed she was well worth it—and she was far from finished. Four sisters, hm? She had only known of the one, but in her haze could not recall having ever met her. It sounds as though you are owed sons. My mother had daughters before she had sons, she rest her slender muzzle upon his shoulder for a moment. 

I suppose it does not really matter, she decided. Daughters, or sons... they will be ours, and they will be strong. Should they take to Dirge's wanderlust, she would at least be certain they would always know their way home, as Dirge had found his way back to her. Hydra sighed at his inquiry, missing entirely the moment he referred to them, and resumed her ministrations to make sense of her thoughts. 

Before long, though, she paused again. No real reason, I suppose, history revealed that the women in their family were just as capable as the men. But she recalled the way she had felt when she had seen her mother the first day of her season. Dirge had spoken to her at length after, and once her heat concretely began, causing Hydra and her mother both to actively avoid one another. But she respected her mother, loved her mother. Truth be told, though... It's only... I dreamt of sons, and she was never one for dreaming. She knew they were fickle things. She would be happy for any life at all within her womb.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
It was quiet, but it was a scoff that left him—he didn't believe he was owed anything. It all was a fever dream right now, too surreal and alien. She dreamt of sons and he, well, he wasn't so sure that he dreamt of anything at all. This was the dream, he supposed, and his gaze by then had ventured out to the horizon where sky and mountain almost melted together. He supposed it did not matter, whether this was reality or dream; the truth would reveal itself in time and he would come to his crossroads then. For now he simply enjoyed her touch.

”I truly never thought any of this possible,” came a slow rejoinder to follow, fatigued suddenly by her actions. The day was still young and they should have been busier, in the throes of some constant motion doing whatever it was that was expected of them. But the lazing about was unavoidable to some degree, for it had been the morning that they had busied away.

”I have no thoughts,” he added, eyes half-lidding for a moment... until her teeth caught a snag and he felt his skin pull—purposefully or not, did it matter? He grumbled nonsensically, peering to her and wondering aloud: ”This must be a strange time for you. I don't believe I've ever heard so much from you.” Had it been this way for Nyx? He couldn't help but wonder what had driven her, but he did not claim to understand what drove another. He knew what drove him, or at least what names he had attached to it. Biological imperative did not seem to care about genetic muster, but if something were to truly come of their union, then her remarks were true.

”Frankly I'm surprised you haven't a line of suitors to try and knock me out.” His words were baiting again but all in good jest. It wasn't just that he had come back to her in the end of things—she had not gone looking elsewhere, either. Maybe it was he who had played the long con after all.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His words did not surprise her. Hydra was sure he did not; she had flirted with him, but had denied his advances even when making him know verbally she did (without knowing it for what it was, by name) desire him. Surely he thought it all a game, or something to that effect. Hydra had no idea either, truly; but their time together, long and well spent, had led to this. And this, she knew, was not even the half of it. 

As he looked to her, a ray of sunlight seemed to cast in her direction. Squinting, now, Hydra lowered herself back down to rest at his legs, rolling onto her side with a contented huff. It is, she admitted, words muffled by the earth some. Hydra adjusted her body some so that her head was propped up against a foreleg and she could be heard. All at once she no longer could think to talk about it, and she rubbed against the ground to leave the impression of her scent there. A thoughtless, quick thing; touch by all things was quite intoxicating, but especially her beau. Who was right above her, she remembered—her blue eyes shifted, a suggestive look within them as she rose to all fours—

That done, Hydra slid again to a comfortable laying position once the swelling had ceased and they were no longer joined. Her heat did not let her think clearly for long, but there was one way to help, and they had done it. You are the only one worthy of me, Hydra hummed; she did not advertise her season as most woman would, as Dirge had courted her for a long time. He was more than just consistent; he was mentally sound, handsome, and she did so enjoy their battles of wit. Speaking of worthy—I want none other but for my mother to have children upon this mountain this year. She gave no approval for further litters, and you and I are the only mates upon this mountain other than my own parents. They will be the only mouths we feed, her tail waved at the thought, pleased as she basked in the sun.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
She was eager to produce concrete evidence of their union and who was he to deny her—he heard her again, carrying on through a post-coitus bliss that popped in and out like tinny static, telling him nothing he didn't already know. Moonspear, for all its breadth, was not teeming with the likes of wolves from stem to stern. It had never been difficult to determine who followed who, and where they chose to settle within the claim. At least, it had never been difficult for him.

He placated her with a noncommittal note at first, testing the air around them as though something may have been about to go astray. ”And you believe they'll approve of you and I?” he queried, falling back to old conversations. ”Or does it not matter,” he continued, then stretching with a slow roll to his back, ”perhaps you simply could not stand resisting my charm any longer and threw caution to the wind.” He was never certain of his approval, not at least with her parents. Charon was absent from the mountain and didn't count in his thoughts then, but Amekaze? Hard to say.

He could have really nipped it in the bud by finding out himself, but it never hurt to have a buffer.

”What did she say—your mother,” he pressed then, without waiting on an answer.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra hmm'd at his inquiry. I believe my father may take longer to approve, she said with a wan smile. Among his children, I am his favorite. He will want nothing, no one, but the best for me; likely he will test you, your willpower, and perhaps your strength, best he be prepared for all that; she let him know after the fact, and she grinned in a catlike manner. He was still away, for the time. She supposed they could cross that bridge when they came to it. I am sure they will both come to approve it. I know that when discussing my season at length with my mother, she trusted me, and the choices I would make, to have children, to become a wife, among those choices. They were what mattered most to her, second perhaps only to her growing ambition. But she was patient, and lately her priority had simply been this

Hydra grinned at him. Your charm and your persistence both became suddenly irresistible. But I would not endanger what may come; she said I should be sure, very sure, in my choice. And I am, she hummed, pawing him. She was certain she had picked the right candidate to be by her side. He had all but been there throughout the past one, what was another—and then some?
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
He anticipated the tests that would come, but he had felt they had always been there in some way, shape, or form. These things were not things he particularly looked forward to; in part it was drove him to wonder and wander after the potential in a claim of his own. It was always far easier to shape things than mold to them, but there was plenty of history in his actions if one even dared to examine them. Which fortunately, Hydra seemed a forgiving sort—or maybe he more likely to be molded—and had not try to pry or venture down roads better left in the dust.

An appraising note left him as she spoke, more humored when her conversation rejoined his statement. ”I knew I'd get you eventually,” he commented, unable to avoid a wispy, knavish smile. He sounded satisfied, and he was. ”I suppose I can add persistent to my list of quality traits now, unless you've more to add,” or to take, though he didn't think she would try and strip him of ego in the present moment. Though if she were to... well, he certainly knew how to stoke a fire and let to smolder.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Whether they be here or anywhere else, he was like to be subject to these tests; in this Wilderness, as in any other, she loved Charon. She could not help but desire his approval. The difference was the length of time in which he might need to endure it. She did not think Dirge had too much to fret over; he was a good man, a smart one, too. Noting his silence on the matter, Hydra shifted a measure to be nearer to him. His heart is not too difficult to melt, stony though it can seem. Feeding his ego should do the trick, she spoke, entirely unaware of just how similar she and him were in this realm. 

Hydra snickered at his words. Did you? I was not so certain, she teased, moseying even nearer to him. When he presented her with her favorite of expressions, Hydra offered him a scandalous look of her own, tail swaying some behind her. When you look at me like that, you make it difficult to think of much else beyond what we have been doing, came her flirtatious words, ears flicking atop her crown as her smile became all the more suggestive in what, precisely, was on her mind.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
Yes, let's feed his ego, he thought. Feed it until it bursts. Which all and all may not have been a bad idea if he didn't know what trouble it brought. It was one thing to grease a squeaky wheel or to give credit where it was due, but there was a line. And for all his worth, he was quick to learn where that line lied with certain individuals. But he had never been able to get a read on Charon, instead likening him to his grandfather. Stroke their egos all one could or wanted and in the end, it would be for naught when they were caught in the crosshairs. It may have been that he simply read him wrong, but Dirge was not so sure this was the case. Later days would bring him to ruminate this again and again and he was thankful that Hydra became distracted with the tips and tricks.

”I did,” he told her, ”every wolf may enjoy a conquest, but I wanted more than just to conquer.” It would not have been that difficult in his estimation to simply go out and find the willing. All one needed to do was look. His own he would keep to himself, his appraisals no doubt to be conducted from afar, but there were few that could perhaps match what he saw in Hydra. Potential, being one of those things, but it was far more than he could possibly stand to gain from their arrangement.

Simply put: he enjoyed her company.

”And besides, I enjoy a good challenge. You've spent more than a season keeping me at arm's length. You've tried to feed my ego, even, for all you thought it worth.” Her touches and words may have hinted towards something else, but he would make her wait, this time. She could speak volumes of how worthy he might have been and he may have never known the truth that he had simply outlasted any other she had set her gaze upon.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She could appreciate, and even agree with his words. True, she did want to conquer... but with him, it was different. He was not one to be conquered, just as she was not; she had sought something of an equal. He was not simply the most resilient of those that she may have had a dalliance with, he was also someone she could see and desire a future with. Who was it she wanted alongside her when the time came that she did claim what was her right? He, despite his wanderlust, was who she saw; he had been there for all this time. His longevity had its appeal, but there was more to it than that.

Hydra thought it worth plenty; look at where she had arrived to! But his thoughts to make her wait were all but ignored; her one-track mind had arrived to its destination, and she rose to all fours and frolicked away with a wanton wine. She was not in the state of mind to articulate it all, but she thought she could show him at the very least.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
She rose then, seeming set on letting his words fade into the ether unseen that spilled in to fill the void she left. He watched her, curious then just what it was that her intentions were. Perhaps she would go out enough to draw his gaze even with the horizon and poise, about to make a grand speech. Or perhaps, rather as it were, she would entice him yet again in the same shameless fashion that his company warranted.

The edges of his lips curled lecherous at this sight; she did not speak of debauchery but it was suggested; there were teasing giggles whispered in every calculated step against the stone. Hydra did not wish to humor him further with words any longer and he soon found his feet beneath him to rise and follow. He did not pursue her with the haste that drew her away, but he did not dally any longer than he needed. She would never go quite out of his earshot, not during these days.

"I'd still like to steal you away," he hummed pleasantly. An age old song sung once or twice before, but he had said that he was persistent, hadn't he? "How lovely it would be for you to be free from your trammels and do as we please." And here he supposed she would contest if words would find her, that she did as she pleased. Yet he knew how the world favored those with no masters, and how it awaited those who did not yield. He could sate the ache of his loins with relative ease, but it did little to anchor his desire to roam. It did not stifle the siren song of the desirable something more.