Two Rivers Isle Made me into something new
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
for @Rye
set for just before sunset
making some assumptions; let me know if i need to change anything <3

Their hunting adventure wouldn't soon be forgotten by Effie, and the deer they had taken down had kept them fed for a while since it was just the two of them; it probably would have lasted longer in the winter, but she still had no complaints.

Their travels had brought them to a moderately wide river that they had followed until it was small and calm enough that they could cross over into the lush lands on the other side. It had rained all day, and she was trying to ignore the discomfort of a perpetually wet coat so as not to add anymore stress to Rye's shoulders. Their first mission was to find somewhere to settle down for the night, and it had taken them most of the day to find the dry thicket in the southern part of the isle, and as Rye patrolled the area to make sure it was safe, Effie doubled back just a bit to collect something she had seen in the way there.

It was only a few minute's walk back to the light purple flowers, their scent leading her back to them from the thicket. She plucked a few of them from the ground and promptly headed back. She set the lavender in the entrance of the den once she returned and then waited for Rye. He wasn't gone much longer, and when he presumably glanced to the plants on the ground behind her, she gave him a shy smile. I picked them for us, she told him softly. The scent is supposed to be calming. Whether or not that was the truth, she honestly wasn't sure; she had always heard it but never actually tried it out, but the scent was nice regardless.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
is made up of light and shadow
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Whew sorry! It's been a rough week and a half for sleep. I'm still pretty deprived so my posts aren't gonna be any better lol

A full stomach that lasted longer than an hour was a luxury Rye had dearly missed, even the afternoon sleepiness was warmly welcomed. The nights were comfortably cool thanks to the river and the den was all the more comfortable with no hunger pangs disturbing his sleep. Life was good, and so far, they were safe. Rye kept his patrols frequent and quick, always anxious to return to Effie, wondering if she'd be gone again. Thankfully she would always be there to greet him and vanquish his worries in an instant. Rye couldn't quite put his paw on it but there was something about Effie he truly liked. Maybe it was her elegance, perhaps her benevolent manner, possibly her beauty, or it could've been all of it combined? For now Rye was left pondering.

After his final lap around the small portion of land they claimed for the night, Rye trotted back towards the den. As he rounded a tree he saw Effie in/by the den, a small smile formed as he neared. He stopped just outside the den, noticing the light purple flowers placed in front. Just then Effie picked up, explaining things. Ryes smile grew and he dipped his nose down to smell the flowers; he breathed in but momentarily regreted it as he felt a sneeze building. Quickly, Rye turned away from Effie and let out a rather loud sneeze, his whole body getting zapped with a strong shiver. 

He turned back and sniffled, the pollen beginning to irritate his nose. "Sorry, I shouldn't have gotten so close." He admitted, " Thank you for the flowers, what kind are they? I recognize the smell."
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
nw! i hope you can get some sleep!

Her eyes widened in concern when he released a large sneeze in response to the flowers she had placed in the entrance of their temporary den; it was a response she hadn't anticipated. Oh, I'm sorry, she said, quickly getting to her feet and picking up the plant. She set them outside the den and then returned to sit in front of Rye. It's called lavender, she answered as she settled. It's one of my favorites.

She settled into a laying position in the front of the den, glancing out at the rain as it continued to beat at the ground outside. A rumble of thunder could be heard in the distance. it was kind of nice to be somewhere dry. She turned to look at Rye, hoping he would come join her. Do you have any plans for where we should go? she asked. I like travelling with you, but with winter around the corner...I don't know how well we can do just the two of us. Really, she knew she was the weakest and might hinder them during the winter if they didn't have a pack. She lowered her gaze before looking back outside. Clearly she was worried about it, although they still had some time yet to figure it all out.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
As much as he wanted to reassure Effie, Rye wasn't entirely sure himself what they were to do winter. With Effies' inexperience and his own lack of experience, disaster wasn't simply a possibility but a guaranteed outcome. Rye could feel the weight of responsibility relaxing comfortably on his shoulders while a pit formed in his stomach. The anxiety swelled to his chest and wrung the air out of his lungs. He was panicking, scared out of his mind and visibly confused as to why he was losing control of himself. His eyes kept darting around as if an answer lied within the trees. Rye stood frozen for what felt like an eternity but in reality was only a handful of seconds. The feeling fled nearly as soon as it arrived leaving only a racing heart and a queezy stomach.

"Forgive me, I-" He stuttered, still deciding on what he should say. A moment more of gathering composure, "I overreacted to my own worries and concerns." He swallowed hard, shame and embarrassment encompassing his emotions. Rye took a step back, deliberately distancing himself from Effie to gain whatever it was his mind desperately craved. As his body calmed Rye was able to push (if allowed) the topic towards what it originally was. 

"I say we head to the Grove, our odds of survival are better with a pack than just us." He stated blankly. His eyes averted from Effie and remained anywhere but near her.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her question seemed to elicit a concerning reaction from him, and she stood, shifting closer and looking at him with a worried expression. Rye seemed frozen for a few moments, his eyes darting around the trees outside the temporary den. Effie glanced outside but saw nothing, and when she turned back to him, he was apologizing and trying to explain his strange behavior. 

She shifted closer, but then he took a step back. She stayed were she was and watched as he tried to calm himself. He did seem to relax some after a few more moments. She stepped towards him again, not wanting to let him put space between them when it seemed like he was struggling with anxiety over what they would do next. 

He spoke again as she came to stand in front of him. If allowed, she would nuzzle her head under his chin and then lean back a little to look at him. I think that's a good plan, she told him. She had liked the grove and had no issue with going back there. I'm sorry things are so stressful right now, she offered softly. Guilt settled in her stomach, heavy and uncomfortable. She hated that he worried so much, but she could definitely understand. We'll figure it out, she promised with a small smile. She trusted Rye completely.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
His distance was met with resistance, Effie closed the gap and gave the male the needed comfort he secretly craved. He relaxed into the nuzzle, focusing his mind on Effie and letting himself get swept up in the peace. Rye snuck a quiet 'thank you' in before Effie parted and gave her a small smile. 

Ryes' features softened as Effie apologized, he knew she had no need to feel sorry but so far she was taking the burden even if she need not bear it. The male could sympathize with the females thinking, he too often took blame when he needn't take it. In his mind, it was better him feel the guilt than anyone else but somewhere in his life he realized that wasn't always the right thing to do. Although, old habits die hard. "Effie," Rye cooed. The male sat where he stood, still keeping close to Effie. "You do not have to apologize for this, you didn't have to apologize for us getting split up either. Neither are your fault and that is the end of it." His voice got deep, harsher and courser as he neared the end of the sentence. It was demanding, nearly threatening and although Rye did not intend for it to be that way it certainly could've came off worse than it truly was.

Realizing his tone Rye would try to steer the conversation towards Effie before she could speak up. He cleared his throat, "Effie," He began hastily, "How are you feeling? Your shoulder and your mind." Too much focus was on Rye, it was pushing his feet out of his comfort zone and the male would gladly welcome a change in focus.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She nodded and smiled at his quiet thank you, although it was not necessary for him to thank her for that. 

His next words made a thoughtful look spread across her face. She really did think she was the source of all his stress. Of course, she knew there were other variables too, but at the heart of it all was the fact that she needed him. She had survived on her own, but just barely, and not well at all. She had no doubts that he would be perfectly fine on his own, and she worried that he knew all of that as well and felt obligated to stay with her and keep her safe. And maybe that wasn't the only reason he was here with her, but she felt like it might be a big part of why. His next words, as well as the stern tone, pulled her from the negative spiral of her thoughts. He tried to steer the conversation to other things, but she didn't answer his questions at first. Instead she was going to bring the conversation back to what he had said before. Effie swallowed and looked at him worriedly. She wasn't used to speaking about her thoughts and feelings with others; that's not how she was raised to be—quiet and agreeable at all times. So this was difficult for her. Still, she felt safe with Rye and was surprised to realize that she very much wanted to start offering him more of what went on inside her head—at least some of it. I know, she said softly. She wanted to apologize for apologizing so much, but that wouldn't be heeding his suggestion. I just— she paused and swallowed again, very much out of her comfort zone. I just feel like I'm the reason things are so difficult for us and I don't want you to feel obligated to stay with me. There, it was out. Her heart raced and she watched his expression closely to see how he would take what she said. 

She would answer his questions in a minute, although mostly because she didn't want him to worry about her so much.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye could almost see the gears turning in her head- the hesitation in her eyes. It was clear Effie had something on her mind and at first Ryes' concern over his austere tone set into his belly like a pit. His fears only worsened as her expression turned to worry, along with the sinking feeling his ears lowered in remorse. However his eyes held an inquisitive gaze to them, some part of Rye believed it was something other than his tone she worried about.

At last the truth flooded out like a dam break, for once Effie spoke her true feelings and Rye felt relieved. It was something he could make better, perhaps not perfectly but nothing is ever perfect with him. As she spoke, the males' expression eased and tranquility took over. After the female quieted down Rye took a minute to gather the correct words to fit his feelings, although it proved to be difficult. He stayed silent for over a minute, his brows pursed together in thought. Finally, after way too much time, Rye found his words.

He began gently with, "Effie," His eyes seeking out hers, "You are not the burden you think you are. Without you I would've never taken down that deer." He spoke from his heart and he hoped his soft voice conveyed his sincerity. "I know I am not obligated to you, as you are not to me but I chose to stay because-" Rye swallowed hard, hesitation thick in his heart. He wasn't confident in his choice of words leading up to his stall, it may have sent a message he wasn't prepared to send just yet. "Because you are my friend?" He sounded confused, and truth be told he was. Too many things happened that hinted it was not simply a friendship. Then again he screwed Towhee and it never went farther than just a one night stand. Not to mention he got rejected months later. Rye, being fed up with his own incompetence, began to freely speak his mind. "Look I don't want to leave you, I don't feel obligated. I'm staying out of my own choice, I promise." A smooth beginning, catastrophic middle but a humble ending. Although embarrassment was still gonna do its thing cause of course it would.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
His tone was gentle as he spoke her name. She offered her gaze when he sought it, her own shy and insecure. When he brought up the deer, she couldn't keep the small smile from her face. That was pretty awesome, she said, although she couldn't help but feel like things may have been easier if he had a better hunter with him; she kept that thought to herself, recognizing it for what it was. Plus, she didn't want to disregard his compliment. He continued to speak, pointing out that neither was obligated to the other. But of course, she wasn't obligated to him; she needed him far more than he needed her, something she felt compelled to make up for in any way she could. Things might actually be easier for him if she just left and let him get on with his life, but it was becoming more and more apparent that she was hopelessly attached to Rye. It was different than anything she had ever experienced before, and she had no idea how to go about things. His pause pulled her from her swirling thoughts, and she looked at him with concern. He seemed unable to say what he wanted to say. 

When he did finally speak, what he said was not quite what she expected. It felt like more than friendship between them, at least on her side, but maybe she was reading things all wrong. Still, it was nice to have him as a friend, one that would stay with her even when things were difficult. 

He assured her that he was staying because he wanted to, and she smiled. Me too, she quietly returned. But if you ever change your mind, please tell me. She would hate to ever make someone feel obligated, especially someone she cared so much for. I'm glad you want to stay, she offered shyly as an afterthought, wanting him to at least know that.
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
You can wrap this thread up with them moving on the next morning, or I can. Up to you!

Hearing of the females enjoyment from the hunt brought a smile to Ryes' lips, he was more than willing to revel in their victory once more with an added swish of his tail. Although worries of their future krept in like sly fox, winter was stalking Teekon and soon food would become scarce along with heat, that would be impossibly hard to come by with just two. Ryes' original plan stayed the same but getting to the grove would be more or less difficult. Nearly half a year since he laid eyes on the wilds, his memory would be scattered but they still had time before it was too late.

Rye listened to Effie as she spoke and nodded in agreement but knew he couldn't simply up and leave her. The very thought made him cringe. It was no secret Effie needed Rye, knowing that fact, leaving her would be torture on his conscious, even if she requested his absence.

Suddenly a sharp, precise gust of wind swept up part of his fur, leaving delicate skin underneath exposed to the cold air. Rye shivered and desperately moved to face the wind, the sharp air nearly stung his nose and left stubborn dry spots he'd have to resolve later. He looked back to Effie and cleared his throat, "That reminds me," He began, talking about the wind, "We need to get going to the grove. I know we still have some time before winter but I don't entirely remember how to get there. It may require some searching, unless you know the way?" 
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
84 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The cool breeze made her shiver a little, bringing forth thoughts of winter like it had for Rye. He spoke of finding the grove, asking if she remembered how to get there. Her mouth twisted in thought for a few moments. Sort of, she admitted. I think between the both of us, we should be able to find our way back. Hopefully anyway; it would feel nice to be able to contribute something for once. 

But let's sleep here tonight, she said softly. It's cold, and we're both tired and could use the rest. Effie looked around and when she found a spot deeper and off to the side, she touched her nose to Rye's shoulder. Over there, she told him. We should be protected from the wind there. She trotted over to the spot and settled down on the ground, her expression indicating that he could join her if he wished. They would be even warmer if they slept next to each other. 

maybe wrap up with your next post?
All the variety,
all the charm,
all the beauty of life
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye simply nodded in agreement, he trusted their abilities to find the way back home. Hell, they took down a doe together and he was still surfing off that victory. One more trophy to the list of accomplishments would do no harm.

Effie found a spot before Rye, and was greatful for her keen eyes. He wasted no time settling in, wrapping his tail around his feet and scooting closer to Effie. For a while, he stayed awake, listening to the sounds of the land surrounding him. Waiting, expectantly for a missplaced sound, a footstep but it never came. Drowsiness overtook the male and he was out like a light before long.

I'll get a post up here soon! I should be more active now, so faster response times for me
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."