Swiftcurrent Creek fold out your hands; give me a sign [birth]
1,215 Posts
Ooc — Thalia
Master Ambassador
Tracker
she runs at the heels of the deer like an arrow loosed, swift and sure. the day is fading, but the light seems to tint everything pale orange, and the air smells of rain. there is nothing but the rhythmic pounding of her paws on the earth, again and again until she breaks and veers sideways. the deer falters beneath her and together they fall. there is blood on her fangs and joy in her veins, and the scent of it is thick and heady and overpowering. she tears at the deer, rents open its sides and tears at its stomach as it falls still, but it hurts and the smell of it all is so close. she falters, and in the moment of doubt, she wakes. 

inhale, sharply. blood. there's pain too, and she sees still vividly the deer and wonders why she's here, in a den, and her pelt is tawny and her paws hooves. wake up. she does, and staggers upright suddenly. inhale, sharply. the blood's still here, and it's hers. 

her nares flare and she staggers out of the den, knowing she must put distance between herself and here. her breath comes fast, heavy, but the blood's still here and she can taste it. 

she's on fire again. the flames are reaching up, and she feels only loss and fear. they burn the grass and bones and her and she's on fire, and the hunter screams her loss into the twilight and she's here again. something tells her to look, and behind her in the grass is something, something that can't possibly be hers but it. she can see its eyes, tightly sealed and barely visible through the membrane enveloping it, and there's bile on her tongue and on the ground. she staggers away, leaving the bundle where it lays. it is too small and would never have taken breath. she does not know that. 

she curls in on herself, turned away from the bundle in the grass, and her breath comes ragged.
Messages In This Thread
fold out your hands; give me a sign [birth] - by Dawn - June 10, 2019, 09:32 PM
RE: fold out your hands; give me a sign [birth] - by Dawn - August 11, 2019, 03:25 AM