Nimbus Summit I wish that I could just be brave.
25 Posts
Ooc —
Zephrine was used to being the one listening to the lessons and lectures, not giving them, but when Niamh began to not along as if she understood, the girl gathered some confidence. Having someone actively listening to her was refreshing; very few wolves of Old Kingslend would give her the time of day, let alone sit and pay attention as she spoke. She had hoped New Kingslend would be different - but then, she was afraid to be alone with anyone for too long, just in case they balked at her looks or something.

Gradually Niamh's face contorted to an expression of disgust and Zephrine did not know what to do. She thought, maybe, she was saying something wrong; but she went over the lessons in her head, remembering tidbits and trying to suss out what the matter was. Thankfully the woman was not quiet in her assessment: her response, once verbalized, eradicated any confidence that Zephrine had begun to build.

You're telling me — your family would judge another wolf by something they had absolutely no control over? She sounded matronly, but also deeply offended, or maybe confused. The kind of voice you hear from a woman named Karen whose unable to wrap their mind around a new concept.

Wh--well, n-no, its not -- that's -- Zephrine fumbled.

And then the most ridiculous thing came out of Niamh's mouth. While Zephrine stood there trying to backtrack and explain better, clearer, differently, somehow - the older woman called Zephrine beautiful, and the girl was so busy trying to rehash the earlier concepts that she didn't fully process it. We don't determine anything -- its His will, that's... The High Elk, a-and his apostles -

I hope each and every one of them starts going grey before they even hit three years of age -- W-what? No! No that's... That's a curse, why would you— Do yourself a favor, girl—leave them.

L-leave...?!! This had been a mistake. A big, awful, terrible mistake. Had she been more attentive Zephrine would have recognized Niamh for the witch that she was; having now brought a curse down upon her family, Zephrine could hardly function. Her mind was buzzing with all that Niamh had said and the implications of this conversation.

What if the High Elk could hear them? What if this golden-coated woman was placed here by His will, to test her or - to corrupt her? With this in mind, Zephrine began to draw away from the other woman. She couldn't look at her; at war with commonplace polite behavior and the desire to put as much distance between herself and this witch as she could, the Deorwine tumbled backwards.

I... I should go. A sheen caught across her eyes. Something constricted in her throat. Nice to meet you, I should -- I have to go. And just like that, she was bolting away through the trees, heading for home.
Messages In This Thread
I wish that I could just be brave. - by Zephrine - October 17, 2020, 04:36 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by RIP Niamh - October 17, 2020, 04:46 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by Zephrine - October 17, 2020, 05:04 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by RIP Niamh - October 20, 2020, 11:13 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by Zephrine - October 21, 2020, 01:10 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by RIP Niamh - October 21, 2020, 01:49 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by Zephrine - October 21, 2020, 02:09 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by RIP Niamh - October 21, 2020, 08:52 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by Zephrine - October 26, 2020, 05:04 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by RIP Niamh - October 26, 2020, 05:38 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by Zephrine - October 26, 2020, 06:15 PM
RE: I wish that I could just be brave. - by RIP Niamh - November 01, 2020, 01:06 PM