Silvertip Mountain pikpaksriruk ∅
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,114 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
fight for him? kukutux refused to show the flicker of confusion within herself; the longer wraen spoke, the more she understood that the other did not even know what it was to be a wife.  and she did not know how arcturus had looked at the duck, had spoken to her; how his heart had beat beneath her ear in their embrace; how when kukutux called, the blackrock would answer.  

women did not fight for men. that was beyond her desires, beyond her comprehension of how things must be. a man came to the father of a girl and asked her bride-price. she was free to accept him, or decline. hydra had set kukutux before arcturus, gave the word of her skills, and he had not chosen her.  

a womb — kukutux shuttered her eyes with long lashes a moment, veiling the smile of pleasure that had come at the mention of it. love had no part in the beginnings of a marriage. such sensation might come after, when you had grown accustomed to your husband, when he had treated you kindly outside of the ulaq and within the sleeping-place. to bring forth children was a twofold esteem. it had given kukutux blood-tie to the mountain, and it had raised her in the eyes of jarilo.  

"then i will have moonspear," the duck said softly. "and i will go the dancing lights when i have told my last story to the sons and daughters of my own children, wherever they journey." wraen, seeking to slide a flat blade beneath the edge of her heart, but kukutux knew that some place in arcturus glinted for her.  

"if you knew the proper ways, then you would understand that when a man says 'i will not have her for wife,' it is not good to press him." her own gaze traveling sidelong, back toward moonspear; she thought of the gentle man who had taken her, and who she had accepted — love in the cold places of her youth did not act in the twisted words of wraen's mouth.  

"i have respect for arcturus. it is part of my anger, that my brother has chosen to spoil his years with someone i do not think is worthy. it is my bitterness, that i look down the mountain and do not see him." a breath, hard jade gaze skimming back to wraen.  

"but i have no jealousy. not for you. you have no answer for my question." the thin smile reappearing, and this time it was cruel in its curve. "on my island, a man might choose a widow or a woman with no children to warm his bed, until he found a wife." the cluck of her tongue."you say i am only womb. i say that is all that matters to a man: the promise of children to carry his name and his face."  

"the truth is that you have nothing to give my brother. love will not be enough. you say you have accepted this. but you have no choice," kukutux pressed, small teeth gleaming. "you can give him pleasure, for a time, and i am glad arcturus has you to relieve his need." a dire green flame in her stare. "i will teach you a word. it is aglu, and it has the meaning of 'hole.' my brother's aglu. not more than that, for all your words."  

kukutux straightened, a snow-spirit with darkened eyes that held her knowledge of wraen's inferiority. "i cannot call you sister. and i will not be aunt while he believes his place is here. it has always been blood, and now blood ties arcturus and i together. through my womb."
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Messages In This Thread
pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Kukutux - November 02, 2020, 03:59 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Wraen - November 03, 2020, 01:29 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Kukutux - November 03, 2020, 02:24 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Wraen - November 03, 2020, 02:36 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Kukutux - November 03, 2020, 02:55 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Wraen - November 03, 2020, 03:07 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Kukutux - November 03, 2020, 03:18 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Wraen - November 03, 2020, 03:29 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Kukutux - November 03, 2020, 03:41 PM
RE: pikpaksriruk ∅ - by Wraen - November 03, 2020, 03:54 PM