Redhawk Caldera I'll always keep you with me
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
He didn't want to have to beg, but he would if necessary. Sure, he supposed that Fennec maybe wanted some time to herself even after giving birth. And there was no way for him to tell, presently, if she was done or not. Maybe she wouldn't invite him back in for hours yet, if she carried on giving birth to puppies with a fair amount of time in between them, but that was her business. She'd booted him from the den, and now he simply had to put up with the excruciating helplessness of having to wait for her to let him back in. 

Thankfully, Towhee showed up, and she'd be a welcome distraction that might help the time pass more quickly. He smiled brightly and nodded his head. -"She's in labour"- He said, though clearly he had no idea that Fennec had already been through the labour, and was now resting with their one child. "-I think everything's OK so f-" 

He cut himself off when he heard a soft sound from inside the den. A quiet, pleading note that to him sounded close enough to an invitation for him to wriggle excitedly. She'd said he could come in- did she know that Towhee was there too? He didn't want to be as hostile about allowing visitors as his mother had been- she hadn't allowed anyone but her mate near the children for a few days after birth and it had been so incredibly frustrating to have to wait to see them. Bronco wanted Towhee to see the kids, and he knew that his children would always be safe with their grandmother...Still- he'd leave the decision-making up to Fennec, in terms of how many visitors were allowed to come in. 

-"She's invited us in,"- He said, his gestures a little bit shaky and rushed. Well, he wasn't sure she'd invited them both in- but he figured that if Fennec got too crowded, one of them could always back out. Given the fact that he was already halfway inside the entrance, he lowered his head and snuck inside, giving himself a moment to allow his eyes to adjust so that he could see properly in the dark. The last thing he wanted to do was step somewhere he shouldn't. 

And in the darkness he saw the pale fur of his beloved Fennec, who looked tired, but hopeful too. For a moment, he didn't see the pup nestled at her side, and he cast his glance around nervously as though dreading to see the little ones scattered here and there. He had no reason for it, but he'd been assuming that they'd have three or four pups- so he was a bit surprised to see that only one was tucked in at Fennec's side. While this did mean that his expectations of having a large litter had been foiled, he did not feel disappointed whatsoever. Especially not when he saw just how big his child was. 

He uttered a soft, crooning note as he drew a bit closer, hesitantly nearing Fennec, aware that she might choose at any point to push him away from her child. His mother had been all snaps and snarls, so he chose to respect Fennec's boundaries until he knew exactly how comfortable she felt having him close. 

The sight of the dark pup snuggled at Fennec's side made something in his heart twinge, almost painfully. His eyes burned, and with a knot fixing itself squarely in his throat just at the base of his tongue, he more or less lost whatever composure he'd ever been blessed with, and started to choke softly on a sob that begged to escape. "Oh Fennec," He breathed shakily. "What a beautiful baby." He trembled as he reached out to touch her cheek, and even in the darkness of the den he thought that she glowed a bit. Perhaps it was just the tears in his eyes, or perhaps it was because he was so completely overwhelmed- but he couldn't have ever imagined a more perfect moment.
Messages In This Thread
I'll always keep you with me - by Fennec - June 04, 2021, 12:19 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by Killdeer - June 04, 2021, 12:56 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by RIP Bronco - June 05, 2021, 06:31 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by Towhee - June 05, 2021, 06:42 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by Fennec - June 05, 2021, 07:02 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by RIP Bronco - June 06, 2021, 01:55 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by Towhee - June 06, 2021, 07:19 PM
RE: I'll always keep you with me - by Fennec - June 06, 2021, 07:47 PM