Chasing the Sun
73 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
All welcome! I'm assuming a couple things here... Hope it's alright!
This post is SUPER awkward, but I am too so that's a match :}

Aariak was lucky to even be alive. The storm that destroyed the Spine had been the reason for the young Tartok's disappearance, and he had been searching for his pack ever since. Nothing had ever been so discouraging and frightening than to think of Tonrakik, who was close to giving birth, being hurt in any way. He needed to get back to her and make sure her brood was born in safety. Aariak hoped that Iqniq had made all he could to protect his mate.

The hints of where the former Spine pack had gone were almost impossible to track, but Aariak was determined. He followed the clues for days and often took wrong turns, but in the end he was sure that Tonravik and Iqniq had taken the pack up to the mountains. It was just the logical thing to do when floods threatened your life. If there was a spot that Aariak's nose hadn't hovered then it would definitely be a lie, because he tracked the hell out of his leaders and got to the most dangerous place he'd seen in ages.

Teeth-like pikes that acted as a barrier were the last of his obstacles, and when he finally crossed -not without a bunch of cuts and bruises, and probably even two or three accidental down-hill rollings- he was sure that he was in the right place. The borders were cautiously marked by the scents he already knew, but he was smart enough not to cross. He howled. He called for @Iqniq, knowing that Tonravik was probably tucked inside her den unable to move, and he hoped that he would get his place back in the pack that was supposed to be his home.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Totally okay! It's good to have him back!

They'd failed with the coyotes. Somehow, their efforts to protect and secure the borders had been outmaneuvered by those wily things. It was a huge slight to his personal opinion of himself and he knew there were others who also felt unsatisfied with their own efforts. It was evident in the level of tension that riddle through the wolves of the Spire. They'd failed and lost one of their own that day. Between the coyote invasion and a number of other wolves they'd lost in the storm, they were down and out for a count. To make it worse, it was starting to feel like they were losing more faces than they could gain.

He put on a good face for his children, or at least, put on that good face as he attempted to entertain himself with thoughts of life and newness and the future. It did little to ease the present state of things, but he tried. For himself. For the other members of his pack. In solitude, he'd have his own doubts, but it was evident he needed to put more of an effort towards their security and encourage the rest of their number to do the same. As such, he'd made a number of spirals, starting from the entrance of the birthing den and spreading outwards to ensure every nook and cranny of their land was properly explored and that any unwelcome scents or threats were eliminated.

In doing so, a howl rose up on their borders. He turned his ears in the direction of the call. Whoever it was asked specifically for him. Was it a trap? Or simply someone who remembered him. He rolled through his memory. Only the wolves of the Spine, now Spire, called him by that name... Perhaps?

His thoughts drifted as he turned his paws and altered his path to come across the wolf who howled. Approaching, he realized that scent to be familiar. "Aariak," he barked, nearing the wolf who lingered respectfully on their borders. "You survived the storm." The surprise was evident in his voice. Iqniq had circled their inner territories looking for this wolf and others, but had only found a few. Nanuk had done the same as she circled the perimeter of their former lands. In the end, a lot had gone missing, but it pleased him to know this wolf had found them now.

Looking Aariak over, it appeared as though he was a little worse for wear. A few superficial nicks and scratches, but nothing that wouldn't heal on its own given enough time. "It's good to see you got out alive. We searched and howled. Where were you?"
73 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
It's good to bring him back! I didn't get enough time to enjoy him and OS/SS :(

Patiently, the young Tartok waited for his call to be attended. There was nothing else he could do, but he knew the wolves of the pack would not let a situation at the borders unattended.

Iqniq was quick to come, and Aariak was evidently happy to see him. His tail went hoola for a moment and he got up to greet his leader. He was still loyal to this pack.

"It wasn't easy..." he commented, trying - and failing to be funny. "The storm made everything so confusing. I tracked you down to the Moonspear, but you were gone, and then I looked everywhere. I'm glad you got out before the flood. No one would have survived that..."
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
And totally just had a sizable mimosa. This post might get fun. Or weird. Whatevs.

It seemed as though Aariak was pleased to see him. If his mind wasn't mostly occupied by other things, he might have returned the same enthusiasm. As such, Iq lifted his tail in a quick wag before his stance fell mostly neutral. This wolf was once of the Spine. He'd be welcomed just as much here as he had been before. It was always good to run into family who'd found their way back home.

With quipped ears, he listened. It seemed as though the storm had separated all of them and by the time the wolf had located them at the Moonspear, they'd already moved on. "Haha, yeah," he said, somewhat bashfully as he realized it might have made more sense to linger a bit longer just in case anyone else tracked them their. Then again... they'd had to move quickly since Tonravik had been so close to bursting. Puppies and all. "We only stayed there a night before moving on."

"Glad you found us though." Their trail had been pretty straight forward. Not much deviation nor backtracking or anything of the sort. Just a clear cut across the wilds until they found a place that screamed home. Enter Sawtooth Spire. "We just set up shop here. Managed to get a few faces out alive. Lost others. We made it here before the pups were born..." and... how much to reveal? "But we've had a bit of a coyote problem. And rattlesnakes. See any of those and kill them quickly."

Perhaps he was putting the cart before the horse. Might as well find out. "You looking to join us again or just checking in before traveling?" He'd honor either choice this wolf made. They'd all been rattled enough lately that second guessing and reevaluating life choices was something he could understand and honor.
73 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
Still SUPER awkward. I swear I'm trying hard.

For what Aariak heard the pups were alright, which was a huge relief. He had been thinking about Tonravik since he got lost, and hoped they would find a place for the birth that was safe enough as it would be the brood's home for, at least, a moon. "I almost died way too many times trying to get up here... I like it. There won't be a lot of intruders, I hope..." he said. The territory they'd chosen was nearly impossible to find, which, in this case, was a good thing.

However, the next thing Iqniq mentiones was a bit worrying. Coyotes could be lethal when they banded up, and it seemed like the pack had been struggling with those. "Coyotes? Is everyone alright? The pups? Tonravik?" he asked, evidently worried about the safety of his pack-mates.

"Leaving was never in my plans... Besides, how do you even get out of here?"
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Haha. No worries. Let's iron him out, shall we?

Heh. Based on the way Aariak looked, no wonder the wolf was worse for wear. If he had that much trouble navigating the foothills of their mountain..? Seemed as if this wolf would be stuck here forever. "And yet, watch them try..." he murmured. There was bound to be a brave, stubborn soul here or there who'd risk their borders. Like that pack of coyotes who'd gotten the upper hand on them. Damn it. That attack was effecting him more than they should have.

"Um yeah. Not too long ago." They had a coyote infestation. They were handled. Was everyone alright? "No. We lost a newer member. You hadn't met him." As for everyone else. "Pups are fine..." Tonravik? Why the hell would any wolf worry about her? She was a bear of a wolf and damn near immortal. Iqniq eyed Aariak curiously. "You didn't hear?" A beat. "She died in childbirth."
73 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
o____________________________o

Although Iqniq noted that Aariak didn't know the member lost to the coyotes, the male closed his eyes for a second to honor his sacrifice to the pack. He had died protecting the pups and that was worth a mention.

But the next thing Iqniq said was like a nuclear bomb exploding in his face. Aariak's wide-open eyes fixed with Iqniq's, expressionless, blank, and gravity seemed to pull down ten times harder on his facial muscles. He was in shock. He had no reason to mistrust Iqniq's words, not yet.

"What?" he murmured.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
The look on Aariak's face was priceless. The question that followed was even more so. One word. "What?" Yup. Shocking. Playing it up a bit, Iqniq turned his yes to the ground, somewhat sullen as he decided how far he wanted to spin this yarn. Suggesting Nanuk had taken up a phantom pregnancy and was now caring for the pups seemed a bit too far a tale. Yup. Time to come clean.

"Just kidding. She's fine. The only thing that will kill her is old age." Which... he was fairly certain would be the only thing to ever kill her which meant any concern for her at all was misplaced. She could hold her own. Always had. Always will. "No need to sweat or worry your mind over her." Seriously. There were plenty of other wolves in this pack where worry was better placed. Aariak probably just hadn't met them yet.

Iqniq shrugged. "Welp. If you're here to stay, might as well come on in. Word of advice though? Stay away from the whelping den. My mate will let everyone visit as soon as she's ready to present our pups to the world." Meaning she was highly territorial and equally as aggressive. More-so now that the coyotes somehow slipped through every diligent patrol and what not every wolf in this pack had tried to accomplish before their efforts proved to be in vain.

Second thought? "Actually? I was just circling the pack lands to make sure nothing else was out of order. Come with me? Let's get you to a cache and get you all fed and up to speed." He tipped his head aside as if to say, this way.
73 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
For a moment, Aariak's heart stopped. Iqniq lowered his head to look at his paws, which made the scene even more credible, and at the same time, unbelievable. Aariak knew that Tonravik was a bear. All Tartok wolves were bears in one way or another, but no one was immortal.

The moment he came clean, though, Aariak's lungs filled with air at last. Holly shit. That had been one huge and very unnecessary fright. "Oh! What!" This time it hadn't been a murmur, it was almost a scream, which he realized was probably a bit disrespectful with his Alpha. "I did not need that." he said re-taking his breath.

Iqniq advised the male not to come close to the whelping den, which was unfortunate. Aariak was eager to see the new Tartok generation, but he knew how mothers got those first days after birth. It was, actually, a very good piece of advise. Even if he knew little of her, Aariak knew that Tonravik could get scary sometimes. "I'll keep that in mind." he said with half a laugh "I'm sure they're strong." he commented. That was all a father could want of his children.

The Alpha then offered taking Aariak to a cache to get some food, which was like sweet to his ears. "Sounds great..." he nodded thankfully and smiled, waiting for Iqniq to lead the way.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Fade here? Or we can keep going if Aariak has other questions. :]

A grin stole across his lips. Did anyone need a little scare? Nah. But! "Ask a silly question. You're gonna get a silly answer." There was no need to worry about Tonravik at all. She could hold her own. It was the rest of them who needed to worry. Hell, if he even got too close to that den, heaven help him. Swamp woman had no mercy for any wolf, her own mate included.

"Mm," he murmured. "Four boys." That was all he knew about them so that was all he could share. He wished to know them just as much about them, if not significantly more-so, as all the other wolves in the pack, but if he had to wait to visit them? Sure as hell every other wolf had to wait for their turn too.

They were in agreement about food. Without hesitation, Iqniq turned and began to guide them towards a cache filled with fresh coyote corpses and a decomposing stoat to add a little variety to the mix. Aariak was welcome. He could eat as much as he needed and replenish their stores as necessary. It was all part of pack life. Give a little. Take a little. Easy, peasy.