Silvertip Mountain No Easy Way Out
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Though his pride was bandaged by Ezekiel's assurance, Day still knew he'd made himself look pretty silly - and it was pretty silly for him to have lived so long without ever learning to fight. He was not used to thinking this way, as his pack and the surrounding areas had been peaceful, but he was learning that these harsher lands were far different than the ones he'd grown up in.

The other male, Chaska, introduced himself, and Ezekiel introduced Day in turn. He wagged his tail at the older, battle-scarred man, wondering how good of a fighter Ezekiel must be to have bested such a battle-hardened warrior. Day was lucky he'd gotten free at all.

"It's nice to meet you, too - I know I've seen you around, but we haven't spoken much, have we?" he said covnersationally, taking the opporunity to catch his breath and still his nerves.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
The exhausted grey wolf was also surprised by Grayday's spar. Even though it was short. But taking into account this was his first, he did well. Chaska nodded to Ezekiel's advice. Practice was the most exceptional way to get better at things. And he planned on using that advice sooner than later. But for now, he was still mildly exhausted from his turn in the ring with Zeke.

So Grayday was their name, as Zeke had said. "I believe we have not had the chance to speak. I thought I had met everyone on this mountain. Seems I have not reached that goal yet" he added, a small humoress smile appearing.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Last from me <3 Thanks for the fun thread!

Ezekiel was glad to see the two males getting acquainted, but he could tell the small talk was about to commence. Something that he rather hoped to avoid. Not to mention those two spars had gotten him rather tired. It was probably time for a nap. With a sigh and a boyish smile, he stood and stretched, preparing to make his grand exit. Well I'll let you two old men get to the talking. I'll be in my den if you need me. If was a very laid back and playful comment, but he couldn't help but tease. Grayday had definitely grown on him, and when he got closer to others, he started to show his wild side. The funny Zeke, who loved a good joke. 

With a quick and respectful nod to both pack mates, the gamma trotted off slowly towards his den, the hollow under the tree. How nice a nap would be.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Day appreciated the joke just as much as Ezekiel, and offered the other male a happy flick of his tail. "Have a good one," he said in parting, surprising himself with the jovial feelings behind the words. Huh, he thought, I guess I can put the past behind me. Good thing, too, because it appeared that Ezekiel could do the same.

Turning to Chaska, he offered another wag of his tail. "I don't stay in the territory very much," he admitted, a bit sheepishly. "So you might not've gotten the chance. I think I've met just about everyone else, though. Strange, that."
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
So sorry! I forgot about this thread

Chaska tipped his muzzle in farewell along with a flick of his tail to Ezekiel, who headed off. Then he turned his gaze on Grayday to converse in conversation with. "Funny. I stay in the territory most of my time. Don't go out much." He enjoyed staying in one place, peacefully and with friends around. "So, what do you aspire to be?"
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
An easy chuckle fell from Day's lips at the question. Truly, he was not a very ambitious wolf. When he saw something he wanted, he might attempt to attain it - but only if the time was right and the means were just. To him, striving was a meaningless endeavor, and to work to be something other than oneself nothing short of a travesty.

"Happy," he answered, in short, aware that Chaska was probably looking for something a bit more solid than that. "I like to hunt," he added, lamely. Truthfully, Day was a rather lazy individual. If something did not need to be done, why do it? Oh, he would pull his weight and then some - but that was not work to him.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska was a bit surprised by Day's dirst answer, unsure if he was joking or serious. Then a follow up answer came that made more sense. "Ah, hunting. I prefer story-telling. I guess both of ours are adventurous in some way" he said, trying to make a joke out of it. Even though it was the truth.

"So, how long have you been here?" Chaska asked, curious as to how long he had been missing out on meeting Grayday. "I've been here before for about a year I think it was but left, but came back after...two months? I think it was two months." He still felt touchy on the subject, but felt more open about it.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday could not really remember how long he'd been in the pack, but he seemed to remember hearing about an injured wolf just returned from some long journey. Naturally, he'd given the wolf its space. It must've been Chaska, looking back - for indeed, the scent that'd surrounded the avoided den was the same as that of the wolf he sat with now.

"I think you got back around the same time I joined, then," he explained, sharing this information with his companion. "I'd been on my own for a year or two by then - yeah, I remember now. The famine was just ending. I think I've been here a month or two, then."

Again, he wasn't really sure. He did wonder where Chaska had gone, but didn't press the subject. After all, he'd rather not share what he'd been up to for all those months. Aside from it being a lonely and painful experience, there just wasn't much to say.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
What a crazy coincidence, them having arrived near the same time. "The famine. I was here for part of it...I heard that June passed during it." Chaska still wished he had been here. She had been so young, too young for that to have happened. But such was life. "And Zaria." Two wolves that he knew. Gone. And before that, Fitzdutiful. Wherever mason was, Chaska could only hope he still lived one. His face fell after thinking of them. "You didn't meet Fitz, did you? He was the alpha before Steady. His brother, in fact."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday shook his head, licking his lips and tasting the sorrow in the air. "No," he agreed, "I haven't met any of them - I've never heard of them."

A sense of guilt overtook him, then. He hardly knew anything about this pack, and he'd been doing a good job of keeping it that way, lately. He'd been promising himself for weeks that he'd settle down and interact, but there was still something holding him back. Even his new camaraderie with Anita and his somewhat-one-sided friendship with Adeline couldn't keep him in this pack forever.

Was it time to move on?

"Sometimes I don't really feel like I belong here," he confided, looking sidelong at the other male.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
"Zaria and Fitz were Adeline's parents. Zaria passed soon after I got back, but Fitz, he died just before the famine." He still did not know how the pale alpha had died. Even though he had been there. There had been no blood, no known illness going around. Yet he still died. It was a sad day.

Chaska's left ear flicked at what Grayday said. "Don't belong here? What gives you that idea?"
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
He knew all over again that it was his own inaction, and not any twist of fate, that brought such feelings into his gut. But it was healing to speak the words, as it had been with Banner. For a moment, a strange tightness of his throat stopped the words on his tongue, but he waited a tense moment and felt it ease.

"I guess I've just had trouble adjusting," he said at last. "I keep telling myself that I'll spend more time around here, but even when I do, I keep to myself."

The words were bitter even to his own ears, and he tried to lighten his tone in the next sentence. "But things will get better - I just... need time, probably." He'd had time. "Sorry - that was a little heavy for first impressions," he admitted, feeling a little guilty for having unloaded his sorrows on the kindly male.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska tilted his head in confusion. He sounded like how he himself was upon coming back with his injured leg. He hadn't taken Grayday to be the type to keep to himself, he seemed pretty open. Maybe he could help Grayday in his little situation.

"No, it's all fine. I was not one for first impressions either" Chaska replied. "I could try to help you, though. To get out more. Maybe if I arrange a meeting with another wolf of this pack, or tell you more about them..."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
He was grateful for the man's offer to introduce him, to strike up conversations; it just seemed a little overwhelming, all of the sudden. And that was odd. Grayday wasn't a shy man, and he'd never considered himself to be reserved in the past... but suddenly, he couldn't remember the last time he'd been unreserved, and looking back on these past few months, he realized that he couldn't even recognize the wolf that he'd become.

"Maybe... maybe just tell me about them," he said, somewhat sheepishly.

He didn't know how to act anymore. He didn't know how to be himself. He didn't know how to not be.
omg. I'm so sorry about this. He's so pouty lately.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska decided against asking Day why, as it was his business why with his decision. Although Chaska was not sure who the other wolf had met already, besides Ezekiel and himself. Even though he had said he'd met just about everyone else, Chaska suspected he didn't really know them.

"Well, you obviously know Ezekiel. And now you know me. So there's...Anita is kind enough. Not quick to judge. Polaris, I haven't gotten her figured out yet. You must obviously know Steady, our alpha. And there was Krypton, who left somewhere" his face fell at mentioning her. She was a good friend. After a moment's pause, he recalled Grayday was not the only one he had not met. "Oh, I just recalled there is Valette. Have yet to meet her."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Yes, he knew Ezekiel. He was probably most familiar with that particular member of their pack, and after today, that didn't seem like such a bad thing anymore. Anita was a friend, too, and everyone knew Steady. It would have been hard not to know him.

"I liked Krypton," he admitted, easily now that she was gone. He'd been disappointed, in spite of his intentions, to see her go. "And I know Anita, and Steady of course. The rest are less familiar. I know Valette because she talked a lot during that big hunt at the end of the famine and Polaris - she was the one that got a little skittish near the end."

Adeline wasn't mentioned - he wondered why. The younger girl was probably his favorite member of the pack, perhaps because she operated more on his level than most of the other wolves here, but apparently not worth mentioning in Chaska's run-down. Maybe their brief encounters were more common-knowledge than he'd thought, or maybe Chaska didn't think he'd want to be friends with a little kid.

Either way, he decided not to bring her up. Not if Chaska wasn't going to.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska was a little surprised he knew Krypton. "She was great. Patched me up a couple times. I was rather stubborn the second time and the first...well, let's not talk about the first." He sometimes laughed to himself about that first time, after the mountain fall. But after Krypton left, he couldn't think of anyone who could replace her. Except Niita, who helped a bit on his leg.

He recalled Adeline, but he doubted Grayday hadn't heard about her. If he had met Steady, the alpha would have mentioned her at some point, as her being a pup her protection was crucial. "Yes, Polaris did seem a little skittish."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
A part of him still wanted to know more about the beautiful beta. He wanted to ask where she'd gone, mostly, but also about her past, her personality, who she was around friends. But she was gone, and Grayday wasn't going to dwell on her. "I never really knew her," he admitted with a sheepish smile. "But I admired her, and she was beautiful."

There was not much else to be said about her; not by him. Day moved on to other topics, deciding that he would learn more about the present members of his pack. The important ones. "How did you come to Silvertip, Chaska?" he asked, deciding that the skittish nature of Polaris warranted little comment. He didn't like to speak ill of people behind their backs. Maybe, though, he'd seek her out, and see if he could find out more about her.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska's mouth formed an 'o' shape as he realised what Grayday meant. He 'liked' her, and not in the way he thought. Must have been hard on him. "She was, wasn't she?" Chaska never really admired her in that way, but he could at least say she was beautiful. At least, that's what he msut have thought after taking that long fall.

Chaska shrugged. "To get away. My pack got raided by another...I ran while everyone else fought." Chaska shed no tears. Not this time. He'd gotten over that. Over his revenge. Over all of it.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Several possible responses came to mind right away.

Oh, that sounds rough.

Sorry to hear about that.

Wow, and I thought I had problems!

None of them seemed appropriate, and even after thinking about it for a moment, Day decided he didn't trust himself to say something constructive about that experience. He'd never been through anything quite like that, though he thought that maybe the fires came close. No one had been hurt, though.

He wondered how many friends Chaska had lost.

Grayday would never understand why wolves killed other wolves. It seemed strange to him that it could even be in self defense. Why fight at all? Or if fighting seemed necessary, why did it need to be to the death?

"I didn't mean to bring up bad memories," he said after a moment. "But I... I'm sorry that happened to you."
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska shrugged. He was past all that. "It's all behind me now...But thanks anyway." Grayday did seem to genuinely care, and that put his spirits up. He felt Grayday would be a great friend, and not only to him. But everyone else as well. "You know, you fit in quite well here."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
He was glad Chaska thought so, and even more glad that he'd finally met the man. His scent was as familiar as anyone's - it was almost a miracle that their paths hadn't crossed until now.

"Thanks," he said with a half-relieved smile. "I'm glad that you're here, too. If I belong, then you definitely do; maybe things had to be this way, just to get us here. Maybe things would've been different if you took another path."

He looked away near the end of his thought, unsure if that'd been an insensetive thing to say.
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
One of Chaska's ears twitched. He was caught a bit off guard by that last statement, a questioning expression crossing his face. He thought on it. Then a smile followed.

"Yes, things would have been different. But if I never came here, I would never have met Fitz. I would have most likely died fighting. No one can know how different things would have been. So it's best not to think about that, and always look forward." To Chaska, it was the greatest self-taught advice he had. And one he could share without telling a long story to say it. A story would only further the point.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Chaska's platitudes were a lot better than his own. Day took a moment to mull over the wise words, and found that they applied rather nicely to his own life. Maybe he would seek Chaska out next time he needed advice instead of trying to puzzle things out himself.

"I'll remember that," he said, distantly, attempting the second part of Chaska's words. It was hard to look forward when one didn't know what the future would bring, but that was just another part of life. Day supposed he was meant to think about what he hoped might happen, and he could do that. He hoped a lot of things.
We should wrap up and have another sometimes soon!
What's Mine is Ours
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Sure. I need more threads on Chaska anyway

Chaska stood up. "Well, I think we should part ways now. Got stuff to do and all that." Chaska went to pass Grayday, stopping just past him. "Remember, don't look back. And try to make some more friends here. The more you know the others, the more willing they will be to help you. We're all family here." Everyone watched each other's backs. And Chaska was sure Grayday would not forget that.