Moonspear we receive you
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
@Rannoch BACKDATED DOE.

Hydra had returned home with a +1 in tow, though he had briefly stopped behind some to search for Cypress who—evidently—had not returned to the Vale after his journey to Moonspear. @Lyra or @Alya had accompanied him (she would not let him be alone, even though she was sure he was capable), but Hydra wanted to see the still-living Rannoch. 

She found his resting place easily enough. She chuffed into the den, hoping to rouse him if he slept. Rest was important, but so was understanding what the hell happened that day... and why it might have happened.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"I just don't know what to do," admitted @Vela with a sigh. "It seems like everybody knows that they're doing and I feel ... lost." 

Earlier that day, Osprey and Drake had urged her to seek out the stranger in Lyra's care. Though hesitant at first, as she had no desire to meet him, she eventually obliged to their recommendation. Though Vela wasn't exactly sure of what they would even talk about, the child went boldly into the cave with the intent to at least introduce herself. 

Hours later, she was still in his company. Even with his annoyingly grating voice, she lingered as she found herself genuinely involved with their conversation.

Vela's company was a welcomed distraction to Rannoch's worries. There was still no news of the whereabouts of Liffey, Cypress, and Rian and because of this, he found himself growing wearier by the day. But, for now, he pushed his thoughts aside to try and help Vela through her internal turmoil. 

She had happened upon him randomly, just had he had woken from a mid-morning nap, and despite Vela's initially guarded demeanor, she grew more comfortable in his presence with time. In fact, she had become so comfortable that she had begun to express concern over her lack of a path in regards to settling on a trade. 

"You need to do what makes you happy, Vela," Rannoch replied with a furrowed brow. "It doesn't matter what trades your siblings pick up; you need to choose something that is beneficial to both the pack and your happiness." 

It was as he fell silent that Hydra's chuff reached the both of them. Rannoch, who laid facing the mouth of the den, recognized the visitor withing an instance. Vela, who sat facing Rannoch, had to turn to see her sister and once she did, she smiled. 

"Hi Hy," she called with a wave of her tail. Without consulting Rannoch, she added quickly, "Come join us!" 
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The scent of Vela came to her nose and once it did Hydra made herself welcome. She greeted her sister with a fond, if a little rough, nip to her flank (her brand of adoration and affection was rougher than most but by now, Vela would understand that). She looked to Rannoch who she liked but had yet to fully trust, and then peered at Vela. I'm interrupting something, she observed, reclining onto her haunches. I wanted to ask you some things about the day I found you, while it's still relatively fresh on your mind. She looked to Vela. If Hydra had been her, she would want to stick around and hear about this kind of stuff, but she had always been fascinated by rough events given her desire to become a guardian and warrior. She understood Vela liked the stars, but did not know much about her other passions or pursuits yet. How do you feel about fighting? You want to stay and listen? She asked, ears pricking forward. Hydra was keen on taking one of her siblings under her wing to employ in fighting.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"Hydra, hi," Rannoch greeted once Vela had invited her sister to join them. Unlike the freckled child, who sat as tall as ever as the pack's Beta fondly nipped her, Rannoch lowered his posture. Even though the pair were on friendly terms, the Iota was well aware of his position in the pecking order. "It's good to see you," he added honestly as he set his gaze on her dark chin as she reclined.  There had been a time in which it had appeared doubtful that the pair would ever see each other again and he was thankful that it had not come to that. 

To her observation, Vela spoke first. "You're fine, Hy," she assured the leader of the Cerebus with a wag of her tail. Though her woes were important, she understood that Hydra's reason for being here trumped the pair's current conversation. When it was disclosed why Hydra had stopped by for a visit, Vela found herself losing interest quickly. Unlike her siblings, she had never been drawn to fighting and, frankly, felt as though it was her time to leave. "I'm good, Hy," Vela replied before nudging her sibling's shoulder fondly. 

Rannoch watched silently as Vela pushed herself onto her paws before she turned from the older wolves to make her way out of the den. Once she was out of sight, Rannoch returned his attention to Hydra. 

"How can I help?" he prompted kindly. Despite his increasingly sore throat, Rannoch wanted to do everything that he could to help the woman that had so selfishly saved his life. He just hoped he had the answers that she needed.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When her sister spoke, Hydra's brows rose. I know, she hummed—this was official business, after all, and though she valued Vela and her feelings, well, she valued Vela's life and wellbeing more. When Vela departed, Hydra's attentions returned wholly to Rannoch. I wish one of my sisters had an interest in fighting. Looks like Jarilo is going to be my apprentice, he seemed to be adept at taking direction and fighting, anyway. It was for the best. As long as Galaxy and Vela did not turn out useless, all was well at the end of the day. 

To his inquiry, she responded immediately. Did you know the guy that attacked you? Does anyone have any reason to attack you?
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
He nodded to what Hydra had to say, though, he lacked the proper knowledge to reassure the Beta in her decision in Jarilo. Though he had heard of Vela's littermate, he had yet to meet him. "I'm sure he'll do great," he replied, wanting to say something about what had been decided. "Once I've healed a little more, I'd love to help teach him if you want any help." He did not doubt her ability to train, but, he wanted to make himself available if he was needed. To add more clarity, as he didn't want to make it sound like he doubted her ability to teach, he offered, "I'm a practiced Guardian and Sitter by trade, but, I also want to become a Coach." 

When it came to Hydra's question, Rannoch shook his head. "Quite some time ago, I met a child that resembled the man who attacked me, though, I'm not sure if it was the same wolf." Spoiler alert: it was. "I never got his name as the whole conversation lasted no longer than a brief Summer's shower." But, something had been off about the kid. "The child I met was strange, that was sure. He was young and alone and demanded that I tell him about the ocean. After I told him what I knew, he got up and left suddenly." He shrugged at this as he didn't know what to make of the conversation they had exchanged. 

"But," he added as concern crept into his voice, "that child did smell like the man that attacked me-- like death."  
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
At his offer, Hydra nodded. She didn't see why not. He mentioned being a guardian, and Hydra looked thoughtful. I'd also like to become a guardian. Any tips for me, there? She asked with a grin. Hydra always enjoyed learning; though she was intelligent and adept, and a brilliant fighter well above the skills expected and required of any her age, she never would turn down the chance to learn. His interest in becoming a coach was one she did not share—Hydra would likely not be the best of teachers, impatient as she could be. 

Rannoch's description of the man was one she listened to with open ears. What did you tell him? she asked, squinting. Why in the world would he just try and kill you? It made no sense to her at all. The Glen belonged to no one, but if any had a claim to it it would Moonspear. When he went on to speak on his scent, Hydra nodded. Given she had been even closer to the man, given she had tasted his blood, she said: rot, and feathers. It was putrid, and a strange mix. Have you ever smelled it before? Beyond the two of them? Or, probably, they were the same, hell if she knew. It didn't make sense, no matter what angle they looked at it from.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch smiled to Hydra's reply, his grin only growing when she asked for any tips that he could provide. After a moment of consideration, he offered a suggestion that he had learned long ago, "Never take your eyes off of whoever you're greeting at the borders." Though it seemed obvious, there had been times that Rannoch had forgotten his mother's advice. "If you take your eyes off your opponent, you give them the advantage to strike when you're not looking." He smiled at the faint memory of the day that Eshe had taught him this lesson and he found himself suddenly missing her more than ever. Despite this, he attempted to shake his feelings of longing to focus on the conversation at hand. 

Thankfully, his reflecting on the encounter with Vaati distracted him. "I told him about how the ocean is like an endless lake of salt water and gave him directions to find it when he asked. Even though he was demanding, he showed no hints of being violent back then," despite that fact, Rannoch knew how time could change a wolf. He paused to clear his throat, that was growing sorer by the word, before he continued his thoughts. "But why he'd attack me?" Frankly, he had had no reason to do this. "Honestly, I don't know. I don't think that he had no reason to." Since Charon had inquired of Vaati's potential motive, Rannoch had been unable to come up with one. 

To Hydra's second question, Rannoch hesitated. "I think I met somebody from the same pack. She called herself Nyx, and she smelled like my attacker, but, she said she came from a place called the 'Feathery Woods,'" his brow furrowed as he reflected on this memory. "Have you heard of a territory or pack that goes by that name?" he asked as wondered if there was even such a place.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His words were wise, and Hydra nodded to them. Smart, she complimented. On, or off, the borders, it seemed like sound advice to follow. She didn't know it was his late mother that had given it to him. She decided she would ask him more advice next time; it seemed, or sounded like, his throat hurt as he continued to speak. A mark the nameless dude had left.

I guess you never know when to trust a wolf, she said with a huff. Which was strange... Hydra decided that, other than the wolves she knew, she didn't really need to know anyone else. Moonspear was home, and she had all she cared about here. Though Alya would be leaving, soon... well, no matter; Hydra would fetch her before long anyhow. 

What did she look like? she pressed next. Nyx. Feathery woods. And the scent of death and feathers. Her father would appreciate this intel, she imagined. The "feathery woods" matched the peculiar scent description, at least... feathers being a scent the man had carried. No, I haven't. Sounds like a place best avoided. Would Nyx want you hurt...?
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
To Hydra's conclusion, Rannoch nodded stiffly while he attempted to avoid any further damage to the injury on his neck. Like Hydra, this experience had opened the Iota's eyes, and he was sure to act upon what had been learned. There were many wolves out there that couldn't be trusted, and Rannoch thankful that he had landed amongst those that he could believe. Reflecting upon this brought about thoughts of Liffey, the wolf Rannoch trusted most, and he frowned suddenly. "Hey, uh, random question for you: did you happen to talk to a wolf named Liffey when you went to the Vale?" he asked, feeling his breath catch as he waited for her answer. 

"She was one of the most fascinating wolves I've ever seen," replied Rannoch as he thought of Nyx. "She had mismatched eyes that were blue and green, and her fur was mostly black, but had specks of white over her coat." As far as her intentions, Rannoch couldn't have been sure of what they had been. "When we first claimed Northstar Vale, she came to my borders and introduced herself as the sister of the Alpha of her pack. She was respectful and seemed to care about her new neighbors. But, after that visit, I never saw her again. But even with our brief meeting, I don't know why she would want to see me dead." he said, clearing his throat once he had completed his thought.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
No, not Liffey, Hydra responded immediately. But Rian came back with me. He'll be here soon, I'm sure. He was investigating around for the scent of your brother, who I guess had not come home from when he visited us, she frowned at that. He's with Lyra, so he's not alone. And Lyra knows how to fight, she had learned from Hydra, and was pretty skilled, actually... one would not guess the sweet-natured Lyra to be so, but she did what she needed to do, and she did it brilliantly. 

Nyx sounded like a wolf that could not possibly be missed. Good. She would need to tell her sisters about her, too. Huh. Alright, she said with a sigh. Thanks for all the information. If anything else comes to mind... let me know. Ly told me not to interrogate you for too long, she quipped, you should get some rest. Her tail waved, and she moved to depart, though waited for any last words from Rannoch.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch felt his heart drop as Hydra informed him that Liffey had been absent when she visited. It was unlike her to not answer when somebody called at the borders, and he couldn't help but wonder if she had been in the Vale that day. Perhaps, he reassured himself quickly, she had been scouting the neighboring territories-- just like Rian was currently doing with Lyra. He sighed happily at this news, as he was relieved that one of his brothers was accounted for. 

With that, Hydra made her move to depart, and at this motion, Rannoch dipped his head towards the younger wolf. "Hope it helped, Hydra." And with that, she made her exit to allow Rannoch to rest his throat. He appreciated this and settled his head upon his forelegs as he watched the den entrance idly.