Moonspear so you want to play, step right up
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior

Rannoch was now more recovered than before. Given he had offered to help her, and she wanted his help pronto, she supposed she could help him some, too. So on one (warmer than most) morning, Hydra arrived to his place of respite. She peered inside and in no time, got him out of there. In no time at all, the duo were walking with one another. She didn't think it'd be a good idea to go to the borders in his state. Anything, maybe even a slug, could get past him in this state. 

But Terance had once needed to recover too, and that had taught her patience. So, what guardian advice have you to give today? She inquired, head turning to him. She was a devourer of wisdom; some day, she would be the best, and though the princesses beginnings were far from humble she still accepted she had plenty to learn.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
The morning had brought Rannoch, an unexpected visitor and as quickly as she had shown up on his doorstep, the Iota found himself being whisked away by Hydra. Even with his progressing health, Rannoch found himself prowling with a slower gait as he followed the Beta's lead through the craggy territory. 

Turning towards Hydra, who seemed to be keen on learning about becoming a Guardian, that Rannoch paused to think of the best advice to give her. "I would make a point to have somebody within the pack patrol the borders at least twice a day," he advised after some consideration. "There's a lot that can be missed if you do not have somebody re-marking frequently." In the Vale, Rannoch had made patrols a priority and, thankfully, he had several aspiring guardians within his ranks. With his advice given, he set his eyes at a respectful level as he found himself curious to know what she would make of his words.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Oh, yeah... We do that, she informed. The mountains pretty big, so we know we have to be more diligent. Foxes and coyotes do try and take advantage of that, she forewarned, glancing to him. He ought to be aware of them, being a guardian and all. If you were aware, how would you defend yourself from a wolf larger than you? he was a guardian, and Towhee had spoken on that as though it meant being strong defensively, as well. Perhaps she only meant defense of the pack, rather than defense of the individual?
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch's ears lowered slightly to her response, and he apologized quickly. "I should have assumed that you all patrolled frequently," the Iota replied sheepishly. But, despite his misstep, Hydra offered him a chance to redeem himself. 

To this question, the answer came easier to him than the previous one had. "As you know by being a Warrior, no two wolves have the same fighting technique," he began, "so, as you fight, you quickly learn what your opponent is good at and what they're bad at. When you find a weakness in the bigger wolf, you use that to your advantage and strike them down using their vulnerabilities." 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
What he said was good, valuable insight she could use. I suppose every wolf does have a different weakness, and for the most part, in larger wolves, it was their stamina. But not all. She wanted to know of other potential weaknesses a larger male might possess. What would you say yours is? She inquired with a tilt of her head. Hydra wanted to be aware of any and all possibilities. This Vaati... he had been quite large. If stamina wasn't his issue, something else certainly could be. The man had seemed to revel in the pain she inflicted upon him, too. Hydra did not know what to make of that, but knew that the end of the day, blood loss would kill you... and death was death. None were unable to avoid this... not even she, herself.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
It did not take long for Rannoch to consider what his weakness was. "How easily I trust strangers," he replied easily. Whenever he had been upon Moonspear's borders, Rannoch had found himself inviting in multiple strangers without much questioning. Looking back, with the perspective of Vaati's attempted assassination still fresh in his mind, Rannoch knew how such a trait could hinder border security. "Apparently, I'm like my Mother in that regard," he explained in a manner much happier than he had anticipated. Though it had been a rough road to get where he could talk about his late parents easily.  After all, his only memories of Eshe had been of her love, and such recollections radiated so brightly. Rannoch had not been the one to discover his deceased parents, and it made it easier to remember them as they had been when they had been living.

Rannoch couldn't help but wonder if she and Scimitar were looking down on him now and she wondered what she made of his life's adventure thus far. 

"How about you?" he inquired with a tilt of his head as he broke away from his thoughts. "What is your weakness?" 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I meant when it comes to fighting, she said with a grin. As far as being too trusting of strangers, well... he had just experienced an incident that might change that. At least that is a weakness you can adjust. You know, now, what strangers are capable of. Even I did not think a wolf would just... attack like that, she shook her head. It made no sense. Vaati was an open, unclaimed land—land that if anyone DID have a claim to, it would be Moonspear. I'm sorry it happened to you. But hey, at least we were there. Right place, right time... Rannoch could be dead without she and her sisters, she realized, as her eyes drifted to his throat. Expect the unexpected... that's all this meant. 

As for her own weakness, Hydra had to think hard on it. I'm not big, she decided. She thought that wolves who were large had an absolute advantage over her—meaning Rannoch. It was her weakness. Of course, she knew this weakness and knew how to work around it. As for the others? She would like to eventually learn them.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite the dark subject matter that was being discussed, Rannoch found himself smiling as Hydra managed to lighten the topic. "Yeah," he agreed with a wag of his tail, "I would have been dead if it weren't for y'all saving the day." With that said, Rannoch came to realize something. He had not yet had the opportunity to thank the Cerebus properly. Somewhat embarrassed by his manners, as his Momma didn't raise him to be an improper man, he added after clearing his throat, "I never got to thank all of you for what you did. So... thank you. I owe you guys." Rannoch was confident that he would repay his debt to them in time. 

As Hydra's answer, Rannoch found himself lifting a brow as he considered what she had said. "You seemed to have learned how to use your disadvantage to your advantage," he complimented, knowing that a wolf with ordinary mercenary skills could not have diverted the man who had attempted to assassinate him. Curiously, he wondered, "How did you work with your disadvantage when you first learned to fight?" 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He wasn't wrong. His smile might have seemed out of place in the moment for some, but Hydra understood it at least. She had saved him; he was alive. I'm sure you'll find a way to repay the debt, she hummed, and if she was teasing (or not) there was no indicator of either. Honestly, he was pack now; as long as he was a good pack wolf and carried his weight when well, she would consider herself and him square. Really, it was Lyra and Alya he needed to think of; she was high-maintenance only in matters of Moonspear, not self. At least, for the most part. 

His question was met with a laugh. I just had to face it. You get knocked down, you get back up again, and you figure it out. That's what I had to do: figure it out. My teacher wasn't out for blood, so that helped, she admitted. She learned more in the actual field, and fighting others, but to have a base to build up was essential.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
The combination of Hydra's reassurance and her reply allowed his smile to linger. "That seems to be the best way to learn," he agreed with a nod. At least, that was the way that he had learned some of his life's lessons. In an attempt to connect with her, he added, "In my experience, life seems to have a way to knock you down time and time again," he sighed, and his smile faded, "It's only when you stand again that you learn something new about yourself or about whatever knocked you down in the first place." It would be something that Rannoch would remain mindful of for the rest of his life.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She hadn't had the same experiences as him. Life had built her up to be who she was now, the Beta of Moonspear and nearly a Master of her trade. Her losses were few, and they had been merely spars. His losses were far more significant, and she'd never understand them from a personal standpoint. She wasn't an empath either, and so could not even look as though she might get his meaning; she nodded her head and agreed. Always get back up again, she responded. Hearing her sisters howl for her, Hydra nods to him. See you again soon! and then she was on her way.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
It was as Rannoch nodded in agreement to Hydra's words that a haunting duet rose to break the silence of the background. Hydra was quick to heed their call, and Rannoch did not blame her. "See you again soon," he called after her fleeting form. He lingered until she had vanished and once that happened, Rannoch turned slowly and went on his way towards the general direction of the medicine den.