Bearclaw Valley we know the way
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Private 

He had seen the structure atop the Sunspire, and found it perfect. An isolated crag in the valley, encircling an idyllic little space with both a forest and a clearing. Fine for hunting, for a pack. . .and, most importantly, for stargazing.

He must have it.

In good spirits since running into Grayday again, Phocion had loped across the mountain range, a cream streak against the snowy white rocks. And descended quickly, like sleet, onto the valley itself, under the night sky.

Dawn was just about to break when he reached the edge of the territory and noticed something displeasing: scent markings. This magnificent place had been claimed, already. With a huff, Phocion sat on his haunches, frowning. He was still so curious, and yet. . .could he live under a leader, with a pack, that did not share his beliefs?

But perhaps he could enlighten them to the Truth. It was with this hope in mind that he gave a long howl for whichever wolves called this place home. Maybe he could, somehow, too.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Fire danced behind his eyelids, filling him with a false warmth as his muzzle remained pointed towards the sky. All around him stood the skeletons of the maple trees, their bare branches dangling far over his head. In his mind, he could still see the fiery colours of their usual appearances, the leaves swaying and twirling with the wind. Yet, when he opened his eyes at last, he was dragged back into reality by the instant sight of their naked forms. Sighing, he tried not to feel too disappointed, reminding himself that he would see them in their glory as soon as the cold was chased away by spring. The self-assurance put him at ease, allowing his eyes to drift downwards, settling instead on the trunks around him; they looked so different when compared to his memories. Shaking his head, he began moving deeper into the woods at a steady pace, searching for the remnants of a long since abandoned hideaway.

As frustration snuck up on him, his memories proving to be unreliable, he came to a sudden stop. Deep within his chest, he harboured a growl, its growth rapid and volume increasing. How could it be so difficult to find something that he had hidden? It had happened years ago, yes, but he couldn’t help but feel like that shouldn’t matter. The longer he stood still, the more irritated with himself he became. Prepared to give it one last shot before he really pushed himself too far, his attention was suddenly captured by a howl. Pausing—and, thankfully, momentarily forgetting that which troubled him—his ears perked up, realising that it had come from the entryway; not to mention that it was unfamiliar to him. There was a trace of gratitude that managed to infiltrate his thoughts as he made his way to the entrance, knowing that he would have done nothing other than ruin the entirety of his day by continuing the search.

Reaching the end of the path, he noticed a wolf that wore a coat of ivory. Larger than the other, Xan remained relatively at ease, though his tail was kept arched over his back. “Who are you and what do you want?” he asked almost immediately, monotone. Although he had never really cared much for the process of exchanging names and that which went along with it, he’d recently started to understand the need for such (un)pleasantries. After all, if someone were to join his pack, he likely wouldn’t come off as an aware leader if he couldn’t even remember the names of his followers—and that he could not allow.
I can give it all to you, will you take it all from me
If love is a joke, then use me ruthlessly
Threads are titled after lyrics from Block B's “Toy”
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
His howl did not go unanswered: soon another wolf materialized, white-pelted like him, but much larger. The stranger questioned him in a flat, brusque tone, and Phocion resisted a flippant flick of the ear in response--surely this man could have summoned a better attitude for a guest? Instead, he gave him a small, close-lipped smile in return, his voice soft and measured when he spoke.

"Phocion," he introduced himself, with a small bow of the head. "I saw this place in the mountains and was. . .charmed by it. I came to explore it, then found scent markings at this border. Does your pack claim this land?"

He still wasn't sold on the idea of giving himself to a pack that wasn't his own, that didn't follow the Truth. He had come to Teekon hoping to recruit, to lead, not to be sucked into another situation like Silvertip. Phocion had been younger then, more eager to please and easy to sway. Not quite so, now.

But winter was in full stride, with the solstice just several nights away, and it would do him well to become a part of something bigger than himself. Alone, Phocion seemed destined to feast on small game and carrion; his small, lithe frame could not take down a large beast alone. With a pack, he would dine well, and keep good company.

He stood, his gaze neutral as he waited for the other's response.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Alexander had long since become unaware of his tone and how it often influenced his conversations. So use to peering down on everyone from up on his high horse, he lacked the decency of being polite and respectful to strangers. As far as he was concerned, few people were worthy of his genuine kindness, anyways. Still, he tried to be tolerable, or at least his version of the word, resulting in him following through with the introductions portion of most encounters nowadays. He was slow to speak, however, waiting somewhat patiently until the other male had grown silent in order to respond.

Phocion,” he repeated back, finding the name to be strange and needing to try it out on his tongue. “I’m Alexander.” Xan for short, he wanted to add, only to leave it at that for the time being; if hearing his full name, later on, became infuriating, he’d take care to correct the issue then. But until then—assuming then ever came—he let it go and replayed the male’s words in his head, surprised by how such a far away glance at the valley could draw someone towards it. Had that been the reason for his parents choosing it so long ago? Maybe someday he would ask his father or see if his mother had said anything to Desna about it before she died.

Nodding his head, he responded with, “Yes, I—we claim this land.” It wasn’t easy having to remember that the valley wasn’t all his anymore, and couldn’t be if he ever wanted to lead a pack there. In order to thrive, he had to share his home with others, however disgruntled the idea would have made a younger Xan; recently, he discovered that he was no longer entirely disgusted by the idea of Bearclaw being filled with strangers, as long as he remained in front of them all. “Why? Were you interested in living here?” asked the Inuk, his tone teetering between curious and accusative. Assuming that, that was the case, he thought to add another comment to his questions but, after a moment longer of thinking, ultimately decided against it; he didn’t want to jump to conclusions and make a total ass out of himself.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Phocion is based on *Alexander* Hamilton so this is fun

The white-furred male warmed a bit, if only slightly, as Phocion spoke, and responded back with a name of his own--Alexander. And indeed, this Alexander did claim the valley. . .and he had said we. A pack lived here. New beginnings. New friends.

"This place is special," Phocion responded amicably. He tilted his gaze to the sky. "The stars and moon led me here." Eyes back down. "I am correct in assuming you are the leader of the wolves that call this place home? Then, with your permission, I, too, would like to call it home."

What are your skills? He remembered well his entrance interview into Silvertip's pack. It had. . .not gone well, to say the least. But he had been young, then, and cocky. Now, Mikros had accepted him without question, without asking him to prove himself loyal, and worthy. But then, his tribe to the south were special. They had taken him in at his lowest, and rarely asked for anything in return, save kindness and camaraderie.

"My talents lie in the sky, with the moon and stars, I must admit," he said truthfully, "but I can hunt, I can patrol, and I am loyal, as well." Well, apart from abandoning Silvertip all those seasons ago. Best not to mention that bit.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
It was easy to agree with the pale individual—the valley was special, especially to Alexander. Born there, it was his right to now lead a pack there, claiming it as his own. For that reason, and the fact that Bearclaw held the memories of his mother tightly within its grasp, he couldn’t view it as just another valley; it was more than that, he could feel that it was. “It is,” he agreed absentmindedly, absorbed by his thoughts. He was curious, wondering how Scarlett would feel had she survived and could see him now. Would she be proud? Angry? The realisation that he didn’t know her well enough to answer the question on his own bothered him; he had never been particularly close with his mother, having viewed her as a traitor throughout nearly the entirety of his childhood. She had abandoned him and his father, she had taken his sisters away from him, she had—

Blinking, he was yanked from his memories by the male’s voice. The stars and moon led him there? He knew that some used the stars to find their way but, the way he said it, it seemed unusual. Looking passed that—easily done, given the request that followed—he continued to listen to Phocion speak, adding neither words nor nods to the conversation. He kept his thoughts to himself, remaining quiet for the time being whilst he thought about what he should say next. So far, he’d more or less just allowed those that were interested to join him as long as they seemed physically capable. This guy was smaller, though, and didn’t seem like much of a fighter, so he felt torn. Either allow him entry and risk him being unable to pull his own weight, or judge him based on appearances alone and send him on his way, possibly losing an able-bodied wolf.

Perhaps he should have participated when wolves showed up attempting to join Blackfeather, maybe then he would have learned a thing or two before setting off to reclaim the valley.

Luckily, it seemed like this wasn’t his first time joining a pack, as he went on to share a few details about himself; of course, Xan noted this immediately and decided to remember it, planning to use the question at a later date for a different wolf. “How are you with hunting in a group?” he asked. “And if someone tried to attack us, are you prepared to defend my pack with your life?” Few had ever earned his loyalty but, those that had it, had a man that would lay his life down for them without question; he’d intended to do the same for Kendra until tragedy struck. Still, despite his failure in the past, he expected the same degree of commitment from those that would follow his lead.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
sorry for crappy short post

He had heard this song and dance before. As a young man, Steady had asked him something very similar. With great gusto, he had built himself up to be a great warrior, a terrific hunter.

But Phocion had learned that life was too complicated for constantly having to prove yourself worthy. All you needed to do was say yes, and get by.

"I've hunted with packs in the past, yes," Phocion responded. "And though I'm small, I'm not afraid to spill blood for the group of which I'm part."

That was that. It was in Alexander's paws, now. It wouldn't greatly hurt Phocion if he did not get an invitation inside the valley. This had been a lean winter alone, true, but he would survive. He had done so for many seasons.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
It’s all good—your post isn’t crappy. Last from me~

Unlike himself, the male was familiar with hunting in groups; Xan had usually kept to himself, feasting on large prey brought down by the members of his old pack or hunting down smaller animals by himself. Whilst the opportunity to further question the topic was there, he refused to take it, choosing to learn on his own instead. It couldn’t be that different, right? Just more jaws—more strength—to bring down beasts no single wolf could on their own. “That’s good,” he commented. It was important, especially during the winter, to hunt as a pack. Doing so would ensure that they truly thrived, both as a pack and as individuals. This he looked forward to, unbeknownst to himself.

That fact that, despite his size, he would defend the pack resonated with the albino. “Then you can join,” declared the Inuk. “I’ll remember your lack of fears if we’re ever under attack.” Currently, he couldn’t imagine himself fighting alongside the male. He was still a stranger overall but, in time, Xan hoped to be able to learn more about him and view him as a man worth going into battle with. For now, he stepped aside and nodded towards the path behind him, silently welcoming Phocion into his home.

Shortly after, he turned and took several steps down the path, then stopped and muttered, “Oh, yeah…” Turning his head, he glanced over his shoulder at the wolf. “We share the valley with a bear. His name’s Arthur, he’s more or less harmless, just try not to annoy him. I don’t want to have to hear his complaints.” He allowed his gaze to linger for a long second before turning and continuing down into the valley.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
It looked as if Phocion's answers had satisfied the white-pelted man, as Alexander moved aside to invite him into the territory. What once might have been a thrill of excitement inside was now simply a warm feeling of relief. He had a home, at least. Maybe not a forever home, but a home for now.

"Thank you," Phocion said kindly, dipping his head in deference to his new alpha. There was no need to say more. Perhaps Alexander would open up in time, perhaps not. It was clear that the burly male was a closed book, and Phocion was not about to push the issue--not in the infancy of their relationship.

He was just about to follow Alexander when the man's parting words reached first his ears, then his mind.

"What?" he answered stupidly, but the alpha male had already left.