Bramblepoint With all of the faces
Daisies, daisies perched upon her forehead
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
As soon as she heard 'not a beaver' she right away starts looking for anything bad around. "W-What? Is it something bad? Like, so bad that we should start running?" She had never heard of an animal having needles on it's back. And she saw the needle that Wraen had picked up. She could not picture an animal covered in them.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen decided that from this point on she would refrain to use too-clever expressions and riddles, when around Korei Julia, because it seemed that she was so nervous that any distraction of this kind, did more harm than good.

"Oh, no - don't worry at all," she replied. "It's a porcupine - surely you have seen one of those before. I have seen a few wandering around Moonspear. Another edible creature, but you have to be very careful and very skilled to hunt it. Because these needles are very nasty things. Mom told me that, if they get stuck in your skin, it is almost impossible to get them out," Wraen explained.

"They don't attack and are quick to flee," she finished the brief lecture. "Now, let's look for those beaver tracks. They have to be somewhere around here."
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei gave the mound one last look, trying to recall if she ever had seen a porpucine. She no doubt had, just couldn't remember. Then she went back to looking for tracks. She had no such luck after some time, and started to groan. "Why is this taking so long?" she asked aloud. "I'm no hunter..."
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It was a bit annoying to reassure her student all the time, but Wraen was a very patient person and had great empathy for those, who lacked confidence and faith in themselves. She could easily imagine, how she would feel in their place and therefore any replies along the lines of "get a grip" were tucked away in her mind.

"I found something," Wraen decided not to say anything about the "I am no hunter" comment, because Korei had fished enough compliments for today. Hunting was hard and rarely 100% rewarding activity. "There they are and.. look!" she had let her gaze follow the trail, until it ended at an ice hole near the mound. "That's, where the entrance is," she told the girl, examining the footprints. "That's where you wait and see, when and how the beaver comes and goes to it's mound. Might be handy, if we are ever in dire need of more food."
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei's gaze and attention went straight to Wraen, and she rushed over. She got all giddy inside when she saw the hole, and giggled with joy. Then, she stopped. "So, we wait for it?" she asked. She was starting to get tired of waiting. Then, came an idea. "What if...what if one of us scares it...then it comes running here!"
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
That was a change in demeanor that Wraen had hoped to see. She sat down, looked from the hole in the ice and then to the place in woods, where they had spotted the beaver earlier. It could work, though she had no idea, how "herdable" a beaver was. Then again - you never knew, until you tried it out, did you?

"Sounds like a plan," she replied. "Let's find that bugger and see, what comes out of it," she got to her feet led the way back to the place, where they had met the furry inhabitant last.

ooc: fade or continue? Works either way for me.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Let's continue till they at least get the beaver. In a couple more posts from both?

"I...I also meant one of us stays here, waits for it" she added. "I can stay! I'm not that good of a chaser anyway." Plus, that beaver scared her. But if she saw it scared of something else, then she could put a brave face on. Especially if that someone else was another wolf.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That doesn't quite work like that," Wraen countered, "because we have to herd it, where it is easy for us to attack and retreat from it, if neccessary and... then we have to work as a team - one treis to distract it, the other goes for the neck." The girl was not going to reveal that she did not like the idea of going after a beaver alone, especially, since she knew, how to do it in theory, but had never hunted one on her own. 

"Shall we?" she half-turned in the direction, where they had left the prey-to-be and waited for Korei Julia's response.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei made an 'o' face. "Well....okay then" she answered back, and then she began to follow, back to the scary beaver she had first laid eyes on. They headed back that way, and as soon as Korei saw it, she stopped. "Um...who's distracting it?" she asked, looking to Wraen. She did not feel like getting in front of those teeth.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen gave Korei a long and contempletive look, deciding, whether she should be let to back out and have all the easy way. But it occurred to her that the other one would never get over her fears and doubts, if she did not face them. Therefore - no - if the girl wanted to hunt the beaver, she had to be involved as much as possible.

"I suggest we tease and fake-attack him from both sides - to confuse him," she said, once the plan was ready. "And then one of us try to go behind him and grab it by the neck and pin it down. Are you ready?"

To speed it up, we can have a dice roll, if this plan works.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei Julia thought on it, and decided that this was the only way, and Wraen knew what she was doing. "O-okay, let's...let's do that." She got ready, and as soon as the go ahead was given, she went for it, charging to follow along with Wraen's plan. She nipped near it, and that's when it started moving, giving off a warning. That was enough to make Korei back away a bit. 

Did a roll on discord, and it said Wraem gets it
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Korei did not sound so sure and Wraen really hoped that her lack of confidence won't kick in until the very last and the most important moment. She realized that it was difficult to trust her student, after having a glimpse at the extent of her fears. 

But there is an inner strength in all of us and Wraen was almost a moment too late, when the girl charged forward bravely and distracted the creature and she had the lucky opportunity to attack the unprotected side of the beaver's neck. She got hold of it let her fangs dig deep into the animal's skin, but this was as far as she could get, before the animal began to fight back in order to break free. It raged and kicked and squirmed, and the hunter, who lacked experience of taking down an animal this strong, found it hard to keep her grip. Her jaws began to ache, as she attempted to steady the hold of it, and then she shot a desperate look in her comrade's direction, silently asking for her to help hold the animal down.

Two more posts and we are done.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei turned around in time to see as Wraen knocked the large-toothed animal down. She watched as it struggled, attempting to fight back against Wraen. She got Wraen's look, and understood it as she approached slowly, then latched onto the beaver with her own jaws carefully as she waited for her teacher to bring it down out of it's misery.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
With Korei's help the beaver was unable to put up more struggle and this enabled Wraen to let change the position of her grip, loosen it a little to get hold of the lower and more vulnerable part of the neck. The big yellow teeth were uncomfortably near to her muzzle and she forbade herself to think, what would happen, if they had the opportunity to tear into her own flesh and bone. 

The canine teeth of her lower jaw hit the beaver's windpipe and as it began to gasp for air, she increased the pressure as much as she could. It took, what seemed to her, an eternity, before the animal ceased to fight back, it's movements growing more feeble and weak with every passing second. And even, when they stopped alltogether, Wraen held on to the creature for the fear that this might not be it, that things could still change dramatically, if she made a mistake. 

Finally, she released their kill, gave it a long look, as if not believing that it had been her to kill it, and then gave one very happy and victorious lookt to Korei. "We did it!" she said with a wagging tail. "We actually did it!"
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei felt afraid for a moment when Wraen let go, thinking the beaver would suddenly thrash. But it did not, as Wraen was quick in ending the furry creature. It was down in a bit, no longer moving.

She got bounding around as soon as she heard Wraen's words. "We did it! We hunted a beaver! We hunted a beaver!" She didn't feel afraid of it, for a moment. For a long time, she celebrated.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Korei Julia's enthusiasm was contagious and Wraen couldn't help but smile and share the joy with her. Besides she had not failed as a hunter or a teacher today and thought that if her parents had been here to see her, they would be very proud of her as well. 

"Let's eat first and bring, whatever is left, back to Moonspear," she finally said and began to tear open the caracass eagerly. It had been a long time, since she had had so much meat in one take.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei stopped her celebration for a moment as Wraen spoke, and she nodded. Then she went to dig in as Wraen did, taking in the prize of her first successful hunt. "Thank you" she said after swallowing some food, then she went back to digging in.