The Heartwood Stillness
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Backdated a few days, not that it particularly matters to me at least. :P

The dead forest was even more of an empty void in the winter.  The trees were even less lively, saplings were barren twigs, easily toppled.  It wasn't fresh, that much was clear as Treason's nostrils flared.  There wasn't that acrid smokey smell, but more just damp and rot.  Fungi were probably eagerly awaiting more hospitable temperatures to eat the remaining trunks.  It was monochrome, essentially petrified, lost in time.

As far as she could tell, she was the only thing moving, and even that might be hard to spot -- she was the same colors of the snow-addled landscape, and under the noontime light the shadows were minimal.  She didn't have a particular destination in mind, but had been weaving her way across the lands for some time now.  She'd need a place to stop at some point, but figured this was probably not the place to do so.  Instead it was its own little mystery.  It was a tree's graveyard, Treason was just a passing ghost.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
❤ how to be a heartbreaker ❤
132 Posts
Ooc — e
Away

after the confusing encounter with the pretty wolf dame and her brother witchbaby cuts a path back west, thinking, man, all this runnin' around is starting to get pretty tiring. she'd never thought she'd see the day where she wants to pack up the ol' wanderers boots and find a place and settle, but then again she ain't thought she'd end up all alone like this. not that weetzie ain't fine company when they see each other, but she's a socialable girl and her rejection from that stuffy beach pack still stings a little. 

just a little. mostly she thinks there must be something wrong with the lot of them. 

wb's crossed the heartwood before, and just like before, it feels like a too-apt metaphor for the smoking remnants of her young heart, left so callously aside to rot. this time though her little friend ain't around to distract her -- no, instead there's another stranger nearby. curiously the coygirl draws close, feeling just a touch more prickly than usual and so lacking her normal exuberant charm and greeting. instead she makes a chuff hello, her face tilted curiously.
can't risk losing in love again babe
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She wasn't sure what she was expecting to find here.  It didn't seem likely to have prey.  Winter was bleak to start with and then it wasn't like there was much cover beyond dead trees.  She considered it a waypoint.  Just some stopover before she ended up somewhere more reasonable.

In fact, she was about to get going again before Treason was alerted to another here.  Curious.  Her head turned to look upon the fiery wolf.  Eyes of an unusual color, too.  If Treason was a superstitious sort, she'd maybe think the girl was fae, but Treason was Treason and thus all she figured was that they must have won the genetic lottery.  She was also totally ok with having a not hugely enthusiastic greeting.  She bobbed her head and moved to meet her part way with a confident and even stride.  

Part of being Treason was also not really talking a ton, so unsurprisingly she likely wasn't gonna be the first to speak unless really forced to it.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
132 Posts
Ooc — e
Away

the girl don't rebuff her greeting but don't speak either, leaving wb to take up the mantle of the socializing. well, but it's what she's good at, most of the time. "hiya," she says, dropping a somewhat sleepy smile, "whatcha up to?" besides the same as wb, she figures, but hey, it's a place to start.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
It was unfortunate that Treason was so bad at starting conversations.  She'd probably scared away a few people just by being more of a sea urchin than a wolf.  It was unlikely to get better as she aged.

Basically nothing.  Just got here, and well -- probably not the best area to live in.  Her gaze drifted around the burnt forest.  You?  Her eyes snapped back to the other woman.  Treason figured it was obvious that as a lone, this was probably not the ideal place for either of them to stay.  Probably no food, bad cover... 

Treason was not a wolf with big goals in mind.  She was just doing whatever seemed to be the best idea at the time.
132 Posts
Ooc — e
Away

a little bit slow on the talking side, this one is, but she don't mind -- reminds her of her brother and his dull monotone, actually. a grin curls her teeth at the suggestion of living in the burnt forest, stepping lightly on the ashy remains. "oh oh, not at all," she agrees, "but there's always such interestin' company 'round here. i wonder how it burned down to begin with!"

as for her, well. "jus' wanderin'," wb explains, "haven't had much luck with pack stuff lately -- maybe 'cos i don't totally get it, raised by a coyote an' all -- so i figured i'd come back out this way, see if i can find anythin' worth pursuin." cocking her head, she eyes the girl with bright pink gaze. "my name's witchbaby by-the-by, but you can call me wb."
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
And this was a chatty one!  Very much unlike her.  Treason's voice was even, somewhat slow, as if every word was calculated and chosen with care.  Really?  Would have thought it'd just be people passing through.  Treason wasn't planning on staying here at least.  She wanted to be able to find food and she felt that even mice would be hard to locate.  She skimmed the surroundings again,  Looks like a while ago.  Probably will be dead by the time it's alive again.  It was a forest.  Trees grew so slow she'd never noticed them changing, and trees weren't exactly something edible, so they were just background noise in her mind.

She still wasn't sure what to think of Witchbaby, as she was perhaps a bit naturally suspicious of the really talkative ones.  Too many words and not enough sense or something along those lines.  However, Witchbaby wouldn't be treated with any differently than she did anyone else.  It was too much effort.  Call me Treason. -- Don't coyotes live in packs too?  Or groups or something.  Can just pick a pack, show up, wing it from there.  That's my plan at least.  She rolled a shoulder in a shrug.  She hadn't tried too hard at this point either -- Treason had just wandered around, but the packs she'd passed by hadn't gained her attention for one reason or another.  She was sure that eventually something would draw her to one pack above all the others -- it would just take the right scenario or right person to do so.
132 Posts
Ooc — e
Away

she giggles a little. "folks passin' through are the interestin' ones, ya never know what you'll get," wb explains -- that's the one fun thing about wandering, isn't it, always running into all sorts of types you can't account for. even if she can't remember everyone she's ever met they're all fun anyway! 

except for the cranky folks from the beach pack but what do they know anyway wb is perfect. treason -- she introduces herself as treason -- asks about coyote groups and wb hums, shakes her head a little. "not my folks at least, they wanted to keep to themselves, an' none of the pure-blooded 'yotes where i'm from hung out together more than necessary. but maybe it's different dependin' where you are." it's interesting to think about (how would weetzie react!) -- "i always thought it was kinda silly bein' so avoidant."

treason's plan is open ended like hers: wb nods in agreement. "sorta same, had a coupla dead ends but i ain't too bothered." it's easy enough for her to get over failures, being somewhat flighty and prone to changing her mind to start with -- who knows what the future will hold for the scarlet girl.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Perhaps Treason wasn't too entranced by the concept of wanderlust.  I'd rather just find somewhere to wait.  See what happens.  Let the strangers come to her.  Perhaps later on she'd go be a bit more adventurous when she had a home base to return to again, but for now she was keen on finding somewhere so she could actually stay close to home.

Maybe the groups she remembered smelling and that family spoke about were just families too.  She'd have to think about it.  She did make an affirming noise though as Witchbaby explained her situation, though.  It wasn't like Treason had done much study about the other local canines -- generally if they got too close, they ended up dead, simple as that.

Seen any territories where it'd be good to rest?  It did sound like she'd been wandering here for quite a while, so perhaps she could point Treason to somewhere that might be more suitable.  Or at one that least had local food.
132 Posts
Ooc — e
Away
wrap up soon?

miss treason ain't the adventurous type, it seems -- well, to each their own, even if wb can't imagine a life of sitting and waiting. she dances in place a little, just to feel her feet move, and considers the question, recalling the nearby topography. "there's a real pretty meadow just east'a here," wb says, "lotsa flowers, comfy-like. an' plenty of shelter if you keep movin' toward the mountains." the mountains were ideal: varied, slightly dangerous topography to keep her on her paws, lots of food options, plenty of nooks and crannies to hole up in for a good rest.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Sounds good to me!  Treason's inability to like.. have a normal conversation seems like it will probably wrap things up anyway. XD

Treason tilted her head, thinking through the lands she'd wandered through to get this far.  I must've gone around it, she mused.  Suppose packs have probably picked up the best places, huh?  It was a question that was somewhere between bitter and rhetorical.  She wasn't being too serious about it, but she was running out of things to talk about -- her library of subjects was pretty low in number to start with, so she was running low on everything but snark. 

Probably gonna double back there eventually.  Was going west, gonna go that way a bit more to see what's there first.  She was gonna run into mountains there too.  Mountains everywhere, not that she cared much one way or another.  All she wished was a place that wasn't dead.  Treason was pretty much preparing to excuse herself and continue on at this point.
132 Posts
Ooc — e
Away

witchbaby blinks but nods at the statement -- yeah sure maybe? packs are weird. bhediyon had a nice spot but now bhediyon's gone and the spot's still there, and maybe there's something kinda emphemeral about that (but this is witchbaby, not delight, and she does not give a fuck about the shared histories of geographical locations).

"i'm just goin' in circles myself," she says cheerfully, "been back east an' west a coupla times, figure eventually somethin'll stick." and hey, even if it hasn't worked out for her so far, who's to say she's not around the corner from the thing worth all this running? she grins and shakes herself out, taking a few playful steps past treason before saying, "maybe i'll catch ya around some time!" -- not knowing how true that statement was about to be.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Uh huh, was Treason's reply.  She was so great at conversation.  She also wasn't expecting to ever cross paths with Witchbaby again.  And yet, soon enough, they would.  The real question would be next time they had a serious conversation.  Here in the future, it still hadn't happened yet.  Perhaps soon!

She'd continue on her own way now, off into the wilderness to investigate what interesting things were about.