Barrow Fields going to california with an achin' in my heart
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Private 
@Samaantine -- backdated to several days before he goes to find Pema

Thankfully, the sickness that had brought Sunny and Aditya to the brink of death had merely given him the sniffles, and a few rattling coughs here and there. Other than those small symptoms, Shale was hale and hearty, and found himself traveling a little wider outside the territory, looking for prey.

This morning, he'd clambered up the Wall and exited the other side, paws sinking gently into the snow-covered fields overlooking the coast. He had caught the scent of big game lingering north of the mountains; if he could fell a deer and bring a leg back, caching the rest for later, they would be in good shape. There were no packs near here, or so he thought; the kill would be safe from all but scavengers.

The gray male was a small silver dot on the plains as he traveled, nose lifted, keen on locking on to a trail. A few fruitless hours passed by, and Shale had grown frustrated, ready to turn and head back. He didn't want to be caught on the side of the mountains when night fell; he'd much prefer the warmth of his own den, snoring next to his family.

With an exasperated sigh, Shale stood still, pelt rippling in the sea-breeze, his amber eyes cold and firm as he scanned the horizon in one last desperate search.
133 Posts
Ooc — xynien
The shadow was wandering in search of another thrall, if she were honest. She needed something more than Engel; something better. He was easy, yes, but unsatisfying in many ways now that the newness of it was wearing off.
Tine was stretched out in the field as if she hadn't a care in the world. She kind of didn't. There wasn't much the young girl found threatening in these early years-- she wasn't quite consciously aware of it, but she thought herself invincible at this point. That kind of youthful carelessness had perhaps been what had made her experience with the coast pack go south at first, but her arrogance had barely been touched by it. She had recovered from it as best as she could.

So the Messeda was rather inflated at the moment, and didn't bother to check her surroundings. Even with the scent of another coming up close-- too close for comfort, she would have thought, if she'd been paying attention-- she didn't move or show any sign of registering the presence. Instead her delicate form remained relaxed, limbs outstretched in both directions as she lay on her side.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Forget it, he thought sourly after a few more moments, shaking his head and beginning to pad off. He was obviously wasting his time out here. While spring was right around the corner, winter still very much had the land in its jaws, and it wouldn't be until the first thaw that the herds would return in earnest.

Unlike the shadowy girl, Shale was paying attention, and caught her scent long before stumbling onto her outstretched, lanky form. One eyebrow raised sky-high, the man peered intently at her, wondering if she was simply resting or hurt. Her relaxed form suggested the former, but you never could tell; she might be unconscious.

"You okay, miss?" he rumbled, resisting the urge to prod her with one paw like a pup playing with a bug. He circled round, so that he was looking at her face instead of the back of her neck. "You know, dens are much warmer this time of year," he teased, voice breaking into a low chuckle.
133 Posts
Ooc — xynien
The shadow was startled by the voice behind her, but had inherited the Messeda smoothness to nothing less than the umpteenth degree. Without so much as blinking she turned her head to look at the source even as he moved, simply following him with her gaze. For half a beat she was silent, struck by a single thought: He. Was. Hot.
Almost immediately, Tine offered a bright, sweet smile. Amusement danced behind her eyes at his teasing comment, and she did not move from her position even as she answered: If I stayed in my den, how would I meet handsome strangers?
That was-- forward. The Messeda girl hadn't actually meant to be that forward, but she hadn't yet practiced on one she was actually attracted to. Like, ever. Her pride would not let her admit it was a slip, and her confidence did not waver outwardly (or inwardly for more than a second). Hopefully the male was receptive.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
She was smooth and coy, her green eyes rising to meet his with the utmost coolness. He blinked softly back at her, the smile still playing over his muzzle from his earlier laughter. Pretty girl, sleek and dark, with plenty of intelligence and humor in reserve. Just the kind of girl he'd fall for.

"I don't think you'd have any trouble meeting handsome strangers, no matter where you were," Shale responded, mouth curled in a wry grin. "Thanks for the compliment, though."

He took a step or two back, allowing her to rise to her feet if she so desired. He hoped she would; he didn't want to stand here talking to the ground, even if it hosted a beautiful woman for the time being. "I was being serious, though," he continued, face melting back into its usual impassive air. "It's cold out here. What are you doing out here all on your own?"

His tone straddled the line between flirtatious and protective; after Lucy had passed, he never had relearned the fine art of staying detached in these situations. Always worrying too much, taking too many steps ahead.
133 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Tine rose to her feet fluidly, tail swishing behind her. She liked this. Briefly she found herself comparing him to Engel-- of course the red-furred man came up short. This male was more desirable so far in every way; it was strange to the shadow when the thought inspired a surge of pity and possessiveness towards Engel. He was an insufferable idiot, but he was her insufferable idiot.

That was beside the point anyway. Only a beat had passed before she had a response for him. I'm exploring! She informed him cheerfully. I'm usually out on my own.

After a couple more beats, Tine had her own questions. She spoke with gentle, friendly curiosity, but the flirtatious undertones had not disappeared. What's your name? And what are you doing?
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Her statement about being alone got him thinking, and he inhaled slowly, trying to pick up any clues from the muddle of scents on her pelt. It was true; it seemed she did wander a lot. He caught the faint, sap-sweet note of Ravensblood there, though faint, she hadn't been in a while. . .and there was something else, something--or someone--familiar. . .

Before he could puzzle it out, she had spoken again, asking him a couple of questions of her own. Shale smiled, flicking his tail as he answered. "My name is Shale," he responded evenly, giving her an elegant nod. "And I was hunting. . .but it seems the deer have vanished."

He cocked his head, fixing her with a warm, if a bit intense, amber stare. "And you, miss? I suppose you must have a name." There was laughter in his voice, though he meant no offense in it; he was quite enjoying himself. In Pema's absence, he had found himself quite lonely, and so to banter back and forth once more with a pretty woman was delightful.
133 Posts
Ooc — xynien
It was easy to get lost in the male's beautiful, earnest gaze; immediately Tine felt the full brunt of her youth. She resisted the urge to recoil, suddenly nervous. Outwardly the shadow remained composed, friendly, but now she wondered if this was too much of a risk. She was terribly attracted to him-- nothing fluttered, disappointingly, but something yearned. For a flash she wondered what his blood would taste like.

My name is Samaantine Messeda. It's a pleasure to meet you, Shale. The Messeda girl didn't miss a beat this time, suddenly renewed in her efforts to hook him. She would take this as a challenge-- and she would come out victorious.
Would you like to hunt with me? Smaller prey, please, or it might eat me. The shadow offered it tentatively at first, but ended with a playful smile. She knew it was terribly unlikely that she'd get eaten, but it wasn't unlikely for the tiny Messeda girl to get hurt attempting to hunt larger prey. Perhaps it wouldn't have been the case if she had more experience, but Tine had always been a little... afraid of big animals. Not that she'd ever admit it directly.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
It was starting to become clear to Shale that the girl was attracted to him, a feeling that extended the other way as well. He matched her gaze as she spoke, giving him, at last, a name. . .Samaantine. Cool and crisp, elegant but also sharp, a deadly razor. Icy on his tongue.

"Well, Samaantine Messeda," he said gently, "I don't suppose I can turn you down." His stomach gurgled, the sound quiet but ominous, as if goading him on further. His mouth broke into an open grin. "You might think you're in danger of being eaten, but the big game doesn't have a taste for sweet things, honey," Shale responded, for once glib. "Take my word for it."

The silver male lifted his head, tasting the air. They would do well heading toward the base of the mountains; out here on the plains, it was devoid of small life, but the tinier creatures liked to hide in the nooks and crannies of the rocks and trees. They would find their prize there. . .unless she was up for the chase.

In which case, he'd run all day. He was hungry, and not just for moose.
133 Posts
Ooc — xynien
The shadow let out a breathy, quiet giggle at the male's words, eyes flitting away then back coyly.
Do you have a taste for sweet things, Shale? Tine inquired playfully, not attempting to hide her intent. She didn't give him a chance to respond; the Messeda girl gestured for him to follow and then was off in the direction the male's gaze had wandered.
Samaantine kept a brisk pace, but glanced behind her to make sure Shale was following. If he attempted to catch up to her, she would speed up, making it into a game-- but the girl would only run so fast if this happened. Part of her wanted to be caught herself, though the thought of prey had not left her mind entirely yet. She kept half her attention to the scents nearby, hoping to at least pick up a trail if she wasn't about to get laid.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He opened his mouth to respond but the shadow had flitted away, giving him a coy look over her shoulder before floating smoothly, quickly, across the fields. A half-smile tugging at his lips, he trotted after her in pursuit, silver pelage rippling and dancing with the breeze and with his movement. He easily accelerated into a lope, beginning to bear down on the girl.

Would she flee, or surrender? The blood raced hot through his veins, alarmingly intense and sudden, traveling southward from his brain at a dangerous speed.

"I haven't had anything sweet in a while," Shale called to her, his tenor voice an echo on the wind. His tongue hung slightly out of his mouth, lolling as he grinned open-jawed. "I've been good." He was catching her up quickly, and was only a matter of time before he'd be upon her. . .if she didn't pull any tricks.