Stone Circle Worn to the bone
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
@Nanook ! :)

With the rise of the sun came the movement of the scout's large, dark paws prowling through the snow in the early hours. He had spent most, if not all, of his time reverting to his old habits - work, work, work. It was not that, in any sense, he disliked it, for it kept his mind off things that would pain his heart to think about. So he continued working. Patrolling, hunting, marking, all the duties he'd once prided himself at being dependable for. It was true that he hurt, but it was pushed aside for now.

Mawk stopped underneath a particularly large tree, finding himself soon sat beneath the leaf-less branches lost in thought. Soon he would get back to his patrol but for now his amber gaze scanned the horizon and his black tipped ears perked forward to catch the sounds of the land they claimed.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Thanks for starting! <3

Some days, the pups' growing independence meant more work to keep them in check - even as an eye from the shadows - but today Nanook took an all out break. Their ranks had grown in the past month, to fill with many who took to Desna's brood with the warmth of any blood-relative. Nanook had met their arrival with a watchful caution, but none seemed double-minded, and she trusted them enough to step away from her duties and enjoy some time alone for once. In quietness. In peace.

Only, Nanook found with the increase of members, she could barely find places that remained private very long. The sound of footfalls crunched not far from where she rested, and they stopped. She shifted, and peered up. Through the trees, the stormy woman glimpsed a tall, creamy shape taking refuge in like manner. She considered, momentarily, of letting him to himself, but the past four months, her world had exploded into nothing but pups, and her mind craved for conversation with someone more or less her age.

So she rose, and dawdled a moment before she approached, taking a circular approach so as to meet the man from the front. Nanook recognized his scent more than his face, and she paused before him. "Mawk." How did wolves invite themselves into each other's space? Uhh - "Are you accepting company?" That seemed appropriate enough.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
<3

The wolfdog's thoughts were broken by a voice, though he had already been expecting an approach - for the scent had reached his nose long before the words had reached his ears. Mawk peered upward, amber gaze meeting the eyes of a wolfess whom he had not met personally, but one who wore a scent he recognised from passing, most likely in patrols. Her name... Nanook? Was that it? He almost felt bad at not completely comitting it to memory, though his mind had been occupied with the worries of his partially missing family.

"Hello," He greeted her with a smile, black tipped ears perking forward. She had a strange way of asking to join him, but... he could do with some company for a while. "Sure, that would be nice." The Scout nodded to her, gesturing to a place beside him where she was welcome to sit if she so wished.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
He appeared receptive, and a score of satisfaction filled her chest. One point for Nanook on the social scale! She tipped her head in thanks and moved to settle in the space he gestured, pleased at the small win, approaching to sit down - and realized she hadn't much clue where to go from there. She knew in theory what to do, having followed many threads of small talk in her favourite past time of wolf-watching, but having to engage in that herself...

Besides, wasn't this Mawk the man whose family had all but disappeared? Any thread of trivial conversation seemed insensitive to her - but having gone through much the same herself, Nanook didn't know if bringing his situation up was something he'd appreciate, either. Was silence better? Her thoughts rattled, and she shifted, and finally said, "I'm sorry," deciding it best to be frank with him, "I'm not very good at starting out conversation."
I'll do better
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
There was silence for a while, and it seemed both Mawk and Nanook were unsure where to lead the conversation. She seemed hesitant to talk about anything, and he himself found himself struggling to find something interesting. Most thoughts seemed too sorrow-filled to share, and he did not wish to dampen the mood. 

So after a few heartbeats, he spoke up finally. "So... how long have you been at Easthollow? I know you were here before u-" His words caught in his throat, and he cursed himself silently for getting into this situation. What had he just been thinking? He'd said to himself that he wouldn't mention them for now because it only brought more sadness sinking through his heart. "before us. We came in the summer." He finished, wincing a little at himself. "It must be nice here in the spring?" Move on... don't let the conversation die because of that.. keep talking.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
She was usually fine with silence, having barely spoken a word for a better part of her life. But the quiet they shared was something altogether restless, perhaps because for once, the silence was unintentional. She caught herself flinching at Mawk’s sudden catch and clenched her jaw, ears splayed awkward atop her head.

He seemed to recover - but she couldn’t say the same for herself. “I don’t remember.” Had she even been here in the spring? Nanook furrowed her brow. Honestly, that part of her life seemed such a blur ago, and the wolf she remembered herself to be was so surreal it was like she hadn’t really been here at all. “I didn't often see the place in the daylight.”
I'll do better
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
Sorry I'm so slow haha

He bit the inside of his cheek, cursing silently at himself - he had made her uncomfortable, hadn't he? Idiot. The corners of his mouth turned upward in a slight smile, hoping to ease the tense barrier that had begun rising. A nod was the response he gave, pondering her own reply. Did she mean she did not see it in the daylight often because she was one to find comfort in the night? But she said didn't, not don't. Perhaps she meant something else, but he decided to inquire regardless. "So... you're a night owl?"
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
No worries! <3 Take the time you need! (:

“Yes.” She replied with quick certainty, but caught herself and clarified, “was.” Her gaze shifted to the sunken-kissed sky, and she recalled the night - the way the stars and the auroras danced. The world have been hers in the glow of the celestials, the moon her light and Polaris her guide. A wistful softness entered her eyes. She saw them still, but with sight often worn from the day, and a voice only able to whisper goodnight.

”Desna needs me here, in the day.” She sighed with the longing, but not from malcontent. The work of keeping the pups in-line exhausted her, but they gave her life more meaning than the stars ever had.
I'll do better
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
Yes, she responded first, accompanied after a moment's silence with a was. What this truly meant he was originally uncertain, gaze flickering to Nanook with a brow raised, though a statement was soon drawn from the lips of the wolfess. Again he was left slightly confused, for he had no clue Desna was Valette - he had only ever known her as the latter, so he did not quite follow Nanook's words. "Desna?" He queried, feeling stupid for having to ask. 

"I find myself up during the early mornings, not so much the night. I like to patrol early." The man smiled gently, enjoying that he was able to hold a conversation without it crumbling after his mistake.