Moonspear had they got you hypnotized?
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All Welcome 
With a still-pretty-new status as an adult, a very low ranking one, but one nonetheless, he was finally catching an okay stride about responsibility. Plus, all saddened by the absence of so many friendly faces and absolutely shook up about the notion of upcoming little puppies--this had been helpful to channel into an energy on patrol, thanks to the guidance of his sister and even mother. He was finally finding some use for it and took off for a long-legged trot through the forests of their borderlands.

Which right now.. we’re quiet. Nothing so far captured his focus. Thankfully, he wasn't deterred yet and was pretty good at maneuvering his way to where the getting was good. He started to head even closer to their outer limits, eager to help lay their scent more there too.. always.

Lately, he really got the sense that the message was stay away so he wanted to help enforce that. It was his mama's general attitude towards him most times and even that one new tannish girl was probably lucky to get in when she did.

Actually, now that he thought about it,  any poor wandering soul around was lucky to see Charon here these days. Jarilo, who had been making himself more and more distinct on the borders, had definitely picked up on this kind of. They were feeling guarded.. because, again, his mama was going to have puppiessss... and the entire mountain had recently seemed a little wounded from bleeding out such a fraction of membership.

But maybe it was all refreshing. Especially if what everyone said was true.

Anyway, he stopped because he thought he heard something. He swiveled a dark ear and then slipped forward motionlessly himself, careful to hear more if he could help it.
SRS MAN PATROL TIME PLS
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet was finally getting his old mojo back and, as such, had started participating (finally!!!!!) in pack life. This included patrols, one of his favorite pastimes in the Caldera back when. It was a nice time for introspection, jogging along and enjoying the beautiful day; but it was also a good time for hanging out if you happened to find a friend.

And it seemed Gannet was in luck! As he went, he caught a flicker in the woods to his left, and let out a low woof of greeting. He didn't quite catch who it was! But he assumed a packmate.

If it turned out not to be? All the better! It had been a while since he'd gotten to play chase!
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He liked staying in motion himself, even beyond it being a place to vent his energies. A healthy fear of being stalked on by the mischievous shadows of his family made him wise to a lot of tricks like that, and he had learned long ago that being a moving target at least gave him that much of an edge.. just in case. He couldn't confirm anything yet but it was a habit that just seemed to match the searching swivel of his ears. As he went creeping on, he thought from somewhere in his periphery that he spotted white fur, then the woofed sound zeroed him in just afterward.

Jarilo volleyed back with a small yip of his own, then turned on a quick pivot to dart forward towards the direction he thought he had heard it from. He made a few small adjustments, and went surging towards Gannet with another quick bark. "Hey!" he yapped when he could set his sights on the white-furred yearling. The Ostrega kept his momentum going and circled around him, trotting airily back to in front of his packmate. "I almost thought it was something way creepier than you in the woods... Is your leg feeling better? It looks better. You look better." Jarilo rambled, although he wasn't lying. "You patrolling too?" Right, because that had been his plan out here in the first place, but the chance at company was very difficult to pass up.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The woof was met with a yip in return, one that Gannet recognized in combination with the shape from a few encounters with Charon's son. The boy was a little chatty for Gannet's own comfort, but he didn't mind overly much, and his friendly manner more than made up for it.

When he caught up, he started in, and Gannet got the feeling he wasn't really looking for answers in the barrage of questions about his leg. So he merely nodded along, then zoned in on the last. The true question here.

"Yeah." Here was an opportunity. "Wanna come?" If he didn't Gannet wouldn't be offended, but just even from this initial meet, he got the feeling Jarilo was a wolf who liked company.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
As he settled himself right on in to Gannet's company, his tail waved a slow, steady beat. "That's good." he said to his nod and assumed that no details meant all as affirmative as it looked, so Jarilo would spare him further harassment on the matter.. in part to Gannet's change of subject, though: "Yeah, I do," he chuffed almost immediately and stood tall on his toes.

His own doings were painfully boring today and he would savor the company he could have, especially because he knew Hydra spent time with this guy so that was good enough in his books. At first he had been a touch more guarded and wary of the matter of him at all. Gannet had come here under such strange circumstances when the boy had lost a littermate no less after all, but now that the dust had cleared and time had passed it was easy to think of him as just one of the usual dudes now--which at a time when he was learning so much so fast, he could appreciate that. "Where to? Do you go much past the forest?" he asked, still getting a good feel for all this, but actually kind of eager to edge out as far as they could go.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He was eager, friendly, and completely unguarded; three of Gannet's favorite things!! He gave a companionable grin and a small hop of enthusiasm when Jarilo agreed to join, making room for him to walk alongside.

"Not far." He answwred, his ears tilting uncertainly. He wasn't honestly sure how far he was supposed to go... he was a packmate, but he wasn't sure he was trusted completely yet, and didn't want to bring any suspicion. "Do you leave?" He asked, wondering if the younger boy ventured out often.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
With the rhythm of his strides, he bobbed his head to a nod. Not far.. which was fine by him. On these lower elevations, Jarilo wasn't always the most daring without a cerberus nearby, so he was fine with not far. Did he leave? He didn't feel like it much. "Not really.. but sometimes with my sisters," he answered, glancing Gannet's way. This was increasingly true lately, but he didn't quite have the motivation to range by himself very much yet. "Do you?" he volleyed back.

After all that had happened, he had been encouraged to stay close for much of his days. Only until recently was he even making a presence here on the fringes even--let alone to anywhere beyond. "I've never been very far before," he added on since it felt vaguely relevant somehow, with his gradually expanding worldview at hand.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
That made sense. Before he'd gotten lost the first time, Gannet hadn't wandered far either; he hadn't had much interest. That had changed his first foray out, though, and he hadn't been able to sit still much since. This was a long time for him, but he didn't mind.

"Not now," he said when Jarilo asked him. He thought a moment. It wasn't his leg keeping him anymore; instead, it was the sensation of obligation. "Dunno if I can." He elaborated with a slight shrug.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Not now, either, and Jarilo nodded slowly.. letting his eyes narrow up a touch as he decided how far into this to question. It seemed to be up to whether or not he could, and maybe it was a tiny inch of a familiar feeling. But, he didn't mind, because under the right circumstances, he was still encouraged to go out and see things too.

Although when concerning Gannet, (versus Jarilo) he had a lot of different circumstances to consider, even right down to the matter of his recently-broken leg that probably wouldn't appreciate much distance anyway. This was what left him unsure of what he wanted to know so he rolled his shoulders along with a longer stride forward. "Oh. Would you want to?" he asked, glancing quickly towards his leg again--"I dunno, maybe if you did want to, you could just a little.. like with me even. It's really all I've done before, so.." He felt himself getting wordy again so easily, but he was trying to be encouraging in some kind of way--and potentially secure the chance for more companionship and exploring at the same time too.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet nodded emphatically when Jarilo asked if he wanted to, and his enthusiasm grew when Jarilo suggested they might together. It was a good offer! (And one he probably shoulda taken in hindsight oops). "I used to. It was fun," he replied, obviously struck with the idea and more than willing to go through with it someday soon.

"Do you have to ask?" He asked Jarilo, figuring the younger wolf would know his parents' particular opinions on the matter better than Gannet could guess them.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
The juvenile skirted a quick look back Gannet's way at his answer, appropriately baited by his few, albeit concise words. "Oh? Did you see cool stuff?" he asked quickly, and sure to keep it vague--he'd gladly hear about any of it, whatever it may be, cool, bizarre, strange, dangerous, to even maybe a little mundane, he'd take it. Already he loved leeching bits and pieces of adventure's notes from his older sisters, so Gannet was not safe from a bit of the same.

As for asking, he furrowed his face with consideration. "Nah.. not really much anymore," he answered. With time, his freedoms had increased and it had helped once he had worked well on his patrols--evidently enough to prove that he could hold his own okay. "I tell someone, usually.. though.." Jarilo added. It was rare for him to go alone anyway, so this wasn't often an issue because he just didn't. He rarely went far.. especially not by himself.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"Yeah, lots." He said, and as usual, stopped there. Answer the question, sure! Explain more? Yeah.... not a thing he remembered to do often. He'd met a lot of neat wolves and seen a lot of cool things, but he'd missed the consistency of a pack. Soon maybe he could see cool things and meet cool wolves, but have a home to return to. That would be better.

"Oh. Tell someone." He nodded. He could do that! It made sense and was simple enough, though he was glad he asked, because he wasn't sure he'd have done so otherwise. It wasn't something he had remembered much in the Caldera.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Lots. Lots? With possibilities way too endless within lots he just kind of gaped a bit until he nodded. He was sure to find his own adventures one day, but now was not the time for him. "Yeah.. I just did 'cause I used to not be able to leave without anyone when I was littler so I was used to it, but I don't know.." he rambled, thinking a little too into depth with this. "I like leaving with someone better anyway," he went on with as he sniffed extra thoroughly at a stick on his path. He just worried less alongside another, or his confidence still needed tending sometimes. "More fun, I guess."

He let the chat lapse in towards a thoughtful silence then and plodded on several steps more. "Anyway, I wanna go out more soon. Also further. My parents say patrol is important right now too though.. and I have to get good at that just in case," and he was eager to prove himself as a suitable guardian of the mountain, as he was trying to do his best at right now despite his thoughts wandering this way and that, as well as all over underfoot too. Perhaps not the best for actual focus but he was out here anyway--trying his best to gain some experience so he could be as mighty as some of the others one day.

For him, that was all the gist of it. He was happy with some company above all else, and good to jog along with him for a good while longer. He was in no rush and just had to be doing something--and this was plenty fine with him so long as Gannet could tolerate him around.

813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet quite liked Jarilo; the younger boy's chatty nature met his own quiet well, because while he filled the silence, it never felt like he did so to make up for what Gannet left. Rather, it seemed he just enjoyed doing it, whether or not the other felt like assisting. It was nice to not feel lacking.

He listened, thinking on his revelations and completely missing the look of amazement that accompanied his own vague story. He wanted to go with someone? He thought back on his own infrequent trips with Lagan. It might be fun to do something like that again!

"If you want, I'd go," he said, certain his parents couldn't possibly hate that plan! And he agreed, traveling was better with a second.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He often could, and would, default to some measure of enthusiasm; he had a lot to say, too, and here with Gannet it all just seemed to play out naturally enough. He wasn't reprimanded for being too much any, but neither did he feel like he needed it; he wanted the older male to enjoy him enough, so maybe in the back of his mind, he tried to be closer to his best--somehow, in theory...

Which all signs seemed to point towards good enough so far. Jarilo would take it, and he grinned over at Gannet immediately. His affirmative was easy enough to see because absolutely, he'd want that. Of course, when the time was right. He still had some weird lurking reservations on the worst of days.. but hopefully, those were fading fast. He had places and things to see, after all. "Thanks," he said, waving his tail back merrily, then went back to guiding a trail for patrol, until that could conclude, or something else drew them away.
my slowass is wrapping bc we need a fresh always <3