Blacktail Deer Plateau Wherefore art thou?
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
For @Sebastian

Ridge landed a couple feet from the edge of the cliff, and then waddled until his claws hung off the side. He was happy to find this little gem, as it held the necessary component of his favorite pastime: cliff diving! His tail feathers shook in anticipation as he looked down the sheer drop. Spreading his wings, he let gravity pull him forward and off the cliff. His eyes narrowed against the cold wind as he watched the top of the trees some barreling towards him. Or, technically, he was barreling towards them. 

Just before he would crash, he angled his wings to fly parallel above them. Slowing his speed, he dipped below the canopy, turning his body side to side to miss the trees. His sharp eyes caught the sight of a wolf, and thinking of the friendly ones he's already met, he swooped down to meet this one. He fluttered to a stop on a low branch, in the direction the wolf was heading, and screeched his presence. His head tilted, and he waited to see if he would get a greeting.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian moved carefully into the territory of the wolves that had abandoned it. For him, it felt very strange to be in a home of a pack. It seemed they didn't leave too long ago. Sebastian walked carefully and slowly, this made his limp less visible. When he would walk he could support his weight. Only with a trot or gallop or any other fast speed, his shoulder couldn't keep up.

The grey male was quite startled when he heard a loud screech. He almost topped over, luckily he landed on his good leg. He turned around and looked up at the branches with a light scowl as who scared him. His docked tail held up. The gash on his shoulder looked painful, and the little scars on his neck and chest still needed fur to grow over them. Sebastian looked rather worn and battered. Poor soul. A lone wolf was never a good thing, that was why he needed to find Aviana.
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
The wolf startled at his screech, and Ridge instantly felt bad. It had not been his intention to scare the male. He was awarded an a glare, for which he felt he probably deserved. My apologies. I didn't mean to startle you, he said honestly. 

His sharp eyesight caught the shoulder wound, the scars that littered his upper body, and then the shortened tail. Curiosity getting the better of him, he asked, What happened to you? They looked like fighting wounds, and Ridge wondered, if that was true, what the other wolf looked like, too.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian relaxed when the bird talked to him. It wasn't often they did but in this case it helped. The wolf relaxed and made his scowl vanish. "Your screech is rather loud," he pointed out. He was mostly startled because he wasn't in the greatest body shape and that didn't give the wolf much confidence. He also wasn't in a pack anymore.

"There was a war between packs and I fought for mine. Alas, I am not a fighter so I paid the jackpot," he explained. "But, I am actually looking for my sister. She lived here. Do you know where her pack went? I need to be with my kind again otherwise I will not survive."
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
The wolf relaxed, and so Ridge settled himself on the branch. Yeah, it doesn't really have volume control, he joked, though it was true. Then again, he had never really had a reason to try and control it before.

He listened as the wolf told him of a war. The eagle was a little surprised at the fact they fought like that at all. Was the war over food? he asked. It was about the only time Ridge ever fought. But, then, he still didn't understand wolf dynamics all that well. 

As the wolf spoke of needing to be with his kind again, his thoughts went back to Indra, and her explaining that wolves didn't live alone very often. No, this is the first time I've been in this area, he confessed. But, I did meet a friendly wolf on the other side of those mountains, he said, pointing his beak to the east. Maybe she could help you. I believe her name was Aviana, if I remember correctly, he added. If it helps, you can tell her I sent you. I'm Ridge. He wasn't sure if that would really mean anything or not, but maybe it would help.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
How convenient :P!

Sebastian shook his head. "No, not over food. Mostly over not acceptable wolf behavior. Let's keep it at that," he explained to the bird. He didn't feel like explaining wolf dynamics to a bird. The male sat down and glanced up at the large bird of prey. He seemed friendly so Sebastian relaxed more even though he was injured. It felt good to have some company.

"Oh," he sounded disappointed. Yet, then the bird continued. "Aviana? That is my sister's name! Did she have earthy tones in her fur and blue eyes?," he asked curiously. He didn't know any other Aviana's. He wasn't sure how popular that name was around here. "Nice to meet you, Ridge. I'm Sebastian. On the other end of the mountain's you said?," he asked to clarify.
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Ridge found it interesting that the fight wasn't over food, but over bad behavior. Wolves police each other? he question curiously. As Ridge didn't hang out in groups of his own kind, there was no need for policing. Eagles fought over food, but that was about it.

The wolf became much more interested in the conversation when he mentioned the name of the female he had met. Ridge had seen a lot of earthly-tones wolves, but he did remember her eyes standing out. She did have bright blue eyes, he confirmed. While the male took the time to give his name, the avian could see he was ready to leave to see whether or not the wolf he mention was, in fact, his sister. Yes, he confirmed when the wolf asked where she was. She was passing through the forest, but said she lived in the plains, he added.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian thought that his question was rather valid. "No, normally not. But they had kidnapped a member of our pack and another pack close by as well. I don't know much details but when my alpha's had their young all they wanted to do was to protect them. So that was mostly the reasoning," he explained to the eagle. Perhaps it still wouldn't make sense to him now and why Sebastian would fight for the young of someone else.

"Sounds like her then," Sebastian spoke eagerly. "I see, but where it plains here or the other side of the mountain?" It was critical information since he couldn't travel well or that long. So if he had to cross the mountains then he would be certain. He was not sure if he was going to make it to go back over them again. He already had to conserve energy. "May I ask a bold question?," he then wondered. "I'm quite hungry and I am not capable of hunting so well. Would it be a lot of effort for you to catch me a fish or a rabbit?," he wondered.
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
As the wolf explained more details of the war, Ridge began to understand. Golden eagle mothers often had to fight off predators that would try to eat her eggs, and her young. So, it was not surprising that wolves would do the same. Did you have a tail before the war? the avian inquired. 

The other side of the mountain, Ridge confirmed. Not the valley in between, he added. Though, that could be a good spot for you to rest. Ridge could fly for a while without needed to rest, but he knew that if he had an injured wing, that wouldn't be so. And judging by that gash on the wolf's shoulder, he may not be able to get over the mountain in one fail swoop.

He was a little surprised at the wolf's request, but he didn't say no. Truth be told, Ridge could use a little good karma. I suppose, he replied. I did try to eat two of your offspring, he admitted. So, I guess I owe the wolf species. With that, he lifted off the branch in search of a meal. The river was nearby, and he figured catching a fish was a little easier than catching a rabbit. He glided above the water, his keen eye on the lookout for any that might be near the surface. There were several failed attempts before he finally caught on in his talons, and he dug them into the fighting fish so he wouldn't drop it. He flew back to where the wolf was, dropping the fish nearby him, and went back to the branch he was previously on.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian nodded in reply to the other. He did have a tail before the war. A beautiful tail. Now he looked even more like his father. He didn't want Burke to see him that way. The bird continued with the description of where he had seen Aviana. "Thank you. I will rest in the valley between the mountains," he spoke with a nod. It was a good option for him as he would need more rest than other wolves.

Sebastian was pleased that the bird wanted to hunt for him. Little did he know, that he could use the meal. He only didn't approve of the fact that he ate two wolf cubs. He was smart enough not to say anything about it. Sebastian went to lie down as he waited for the eagle. Maybe he wouldn't return, but when he thought that the bird was back with a fish.

Sebastian eagerly moved towards the meal and wolfed it down. It was clear that the wolf had been rather hungry in the way he attacked the fresh meat. "Twanks," he spoke with a mouth ful of meat. "Maybe I can return the favor in a way?" he spoke after he swallowed.
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He returned to the wolf, watching as he ate the fish. He was intrigued that the wolf wanted to repay him. Maybe someday, he replied. Ridge had caused some chaos in the lives of some of the wolves he had come across. He felt it was a penance to help this one. Mostly likely, he would never come to take the debt this wolf thought he owed.

Did you need any more information from me? he asked. He wasn't sure what else he had that might be useful to the wolf.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian dipped his head. Perhaps once he could be of service to the eagle. He knew that an alliance could bring after all Towhee had a bird helping her as well. Sebastian quieted up his lips. "No, I have all the information I need. Hopefully I will be reunited with my sister. Thank you, again." Sebastian took another bit from his fish, hungrily eating everything. He was going to need it if he would ever make it to the other side of the border.