Stavanger Bay Unconscious mind but wide awake
90 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
She had missed him. Again. Feelings if defeat flowed through her as she limped back towards the ones she hoped hadn't turned on her. She had been gone far too long, and she wouldn't expect anything but cold shoulders and punishment if they did welcome her back. Her usual sleek coat was dull from sleepless nights, a grueling pace and lack of food.
Tiny paws hit the ground heavily as she made her way across the landscape. The weather, although nice, did nothing for her mood. It didn't help with her injuries. The rockslide spilt her down the hill and made her a ragdoll. She grimaced at her sore muscles, yet it was her shoulder that cringed at any movement. Something was wrong with it, yet she kept moving. 
Stopping for a moment, she lifted her tired skull and closed her eyes, a salty breeze rippling through her coat. She breathed in deep, and a bittersweet feeling rose in her as she wondered if they would accept her back. A small whimper rose in her throat as the inner turmoil mixed with her fatigue and pain. Closing her throat, she stopped it. That wouldn't help.
She stepped to the edge of the border and hesitated, a rush of emotions knocking out the rest of her energy. Sitting down heavily, she didn't disguise her exhaustion or emotions as she raised her head and called for someone...anyone..to answer. She curled her tail around her sore paws and waited, keeping her eyes open by sheer willpower.
Daisies and Dynamite wrapped in a fluff ball.
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Cameo! She isn't near

Rosalyn heard the call, and while she was glad to hear that her friend was alive, her stomach dropped at the implications.  She knew Smokestep's law... she'd almost made herself subject to it as well, after all.  And she did not want to see it carried out, nor did she want to be expected to take part.

Her ears tilted back and she remained where she was, wondering why she had disappeared and, even moreso, why she had decided to return.  It might have been better if she had just stayed gone.  Roz could only hope, for Daikini's sake, Smokestep was either a) all bark and less bite or b) willing to make allowances.  Perhaps there was a good reason.
what would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark?
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
The call of a familiar voice should have been one that inspired the crew to rally together, for one of their lost members had returned to them. It was not a celebration, though. Smokestep had been working diligently to create new caches for the upcoming summer. He had anticipated that the likelihood of prey would have increased, and they did not have enough to support what they would need in the upcoming months. Halfway through the first of the caches he intended to make, her voice had summoned anyone to meet her at the borders. Smokestep’s ears drew forward and he frowned thoughtfully at the prospect of Roz’s friend having returned. Taking one last look at his work, the young Captain turned from it and trotted steadily in the direction of the girl at the edge of the bay.

Upon seeing her, his coat bristled some and his eyes were sharp on her features. “Ahoy, lass… ye’ve got some guts, don’t ye?” he greeted her with a flash of his teeth and a firmly narrowed brow. “Ye know ye abandoned the crew. Have ye come to accept yer punishment?” Smokestep’s tone was even and level, but there was a glint in his gaze that suggested he wasn’t playing with her. Abandoning ship was something that he would not tolerate; the Ironsea crew was a crew for life.
calling to join them the wretched and joyful
shaking the wings of their terrible youths
freshly disowned in some frozen devotion
90 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
The familiar sight of the captain made her heart pound in her chest, and she took up a submissive stance, her gaze cast to the ground. She knew it wouldn't be a happy return, but she had a promise to keep, and she was not one to go back on her word. The word punishment lingered in her mind, yet hope sprang up. He wasn't going to kill her as her old pack would have done. She had seen it happen before, and it wasn't pretty. His look meant business, and her legs trembled slightly, whether it was from the fatigue or fear or both, she did not know and didn't have the energy to think about it. Her voice was tired and soft. Aye, I have come to accept my punishment, whatever you see fit to do. I will not make any excuses. It was my doing, and I won't run from it. She knew whatever it was wouldn't be as disheartening as what she had faced the past few weeks, and so she went quiet, waiting for his next words.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
The girl was forthcoming about her mistakes, but Smokestep was not eager to provide chances to those who did not see fit to communicate with him where they were going or why. His eyes roamed her figure and he curled a lip to reveal a yellowed canine. While she was willing to accept the punishment, he was not certain that she understood what that entailed. With a cold frown and the tip of his incisor peeking from beneath his dark lip, the pale Captain shook his head at her. “That punishment is walkin’ the plank, lass. Yer a deserter o’ the crew. Wot did ye think? Ye knew when ye joined that if ye left, ye would be hunted, aye? I told ye, er… Roz told ye. Point is that ye knew. So wot have ye to say fer yerself?” he said pointedly. His tone was far from favorable and the fur along his neck and shoulders bristled as he attempted to lay it out for her. Smokestep peered at her with an expectant stare and canted his head, wondering what kind of excuse she could have for leaving the Ironsea wolves and the crew she was intended to have stayed with for the rest of her days.
90 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
Listening to his words, she sat still, knowing full well the consequences of her actions, yet was hoping for a different outcome. The hope for it faded, but she stood her ground, her mind already made up. She was not like her father. Never would she be a coward. Running away was not an option. Looking up at the wolf, she kept his gaze for a moment. Only out of respect did she drop his gaze, yet her aching muscles pulled her up a bit straighter as resolve filled her. Her voice was steady and strong, exhaustion and feeling now hidden behind a small but determined smile. Señor, he was a deserter from my old pack. I wanted to teach him that you don't run from your problems. She spat out the word, rare raw emotional venom released in that word.

Silence reigned momentarily before she spoke, emotions again under control. I wanted to teach him...I wanted to make him know I was never and will never be like him, no matter how many times the words were spoken. But.. She stiffened, as if waiting for the blow before she even finished. I guess I proved them right. I am like him. The words were bitter in her mouth, and she looked up at him, done speaking but for one last thing. I, like him, deserve punishment. But, unlike him, I will not run. I am not a coward. So, Captain, kill me if you see fit, kill me. But I will not run from this. Dropping her head for what might be the last time, she breathed in the salty air again.
340 Posts
Ooc — Cactus
The girl did well to explain what had pulled her away from the crew, but Smokestep found a few pieces of her story to be lacking what he desired in a member. She was drawn to the past – latched there – by something that had happened. The young Captain was not eager to explore the options for a returned deserter, but he understood that she had been doing what she believed to be the right thing. Drawing his tongue across his lips and muzzle, the brute sighed heavily and shook his head to the female. There was obvious disappointment on his face, in spite of his youth and lack of care. As free from the world as he was, the marauder did not take well to those who came and went without communication.

“I understand, lass, but yer not part o’ that old life anymore, ye hear?” he said to her gruffly. The brows on his head had furrowed to form a neat line over his bi-colored gaze. “Ye returned to yer home, is wot matters. Yer back an yer here to stay, but I’ll only warn ye one last time… if ye turn an’ leave yer crew behind, ye’d best just stay out there in the wide open land. If ye leave an’ return again, it’ll be the last thing ye do,” he growled to her with a firm nod.