Grouse Thicket Obsess less beetle buds
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
:eyes:  No huge rush!

He was pretty sure that if they'd been through this area before, the place ahead of him wasn't so... Well, 'ugh' looking.  Quixote had already been north and had run smack into another kind of swampy lowland and he was feeling very much trapped here at the far northeastern edge of the thicket.  He'd spent a bit of each of the last few days radiating out from the plateau in search of some sign of Colt, but each time, any scents he found were old and his calls had gone unanswered.  He was running out of directions to check, and it was entirely possible that the now-lone had headed back into more populated areas.  At that point, Quixote didn't know if he'd be able to drag the guy back here easily at all -- he wasn't sure if as an alpha he'd be able to go on such a long quest.  Though, probably better now than in a few months.

At least Towhee seemed to be not.. completely infuriated at the idea of Colt's return.  Not happy, sure, but at least from their chat, it seemed like she'd just deal with it and then hopefully the two wouldn't butt heads as much this time around.  Speaking to her had helped clear the new alpha's head a bit as well, and though he still had no real clue what he was doing, Quixote hoped that by trying to get Colt back into the fold, things could return to a sort of status quo that vaguely resembled the status of things before everything exploded.  He could dream.

Anyway, here he was at the point where three or four territories all collided, uncertain how to progress, so once again Quixote tipped his head upwards and called for @Colt.  Maybe the relatively good turn of weather would be some kind of metaphor for how the whole thing would go.  Or not, it could just be a false sense of security and honestly he wouldn't put it beyond whatever fates there were to just go and screw with things.  Hell, at least if Colt did show up, he could finally clarify the stuff he had wanted to say with the Finwood kids around.
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
all the rush!

Colt had been kind of dicking around lately.  Mostly in the vacinity of the lake, though he contemplated jogging south for a bit and seeing what was what.  There were some mountains down there he'd enjoyed, and it would be nice to revisit where he'd stayed so long.  Say hi to Nell.

He was on his way there, skirting to avoid the newly relocated Redhawks, when he heard Qui call for him.  What'd he want so soon? Colt had imagined it would be a good month or two before any of them wanted to reconnect, so he'd have some time to wander.

He wasn't about to leave his friend hangin, though, so he quickly shifted trajectory and howled a response.  As soon as Quixote came into sight, he grinned. "Long time no see.  Miss me already?"
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
This time, he'd apparently chosen the right corner of the world, as Colt's reply came quickly after.  Good!  Quixote sat himself down to wait.  Eventually, Colt popped into view, so Quixote got to his feet with a stretch and a glad wag of his tail.  I'm just here to drag you back if you promise not to get in fights with birds any more.  Yeah, "just" here for that, he thought with a grin.  He wasn't gonna give away the good secret yet, and was basically neutral regarding his posture.

That whole cat that ate the canary look was back with a vengeance, You've uh.  Missed some more things.  But apparently Quixote was gonna make him guess or at the very least drag it out a bit more just to be annoying.  At their last meet, Quixote probably eventually said something obscure about how he'd done something that would result in being, 'either stuck here or I'll be out there joining you.'  Though obviously from his first sentence on this meeting it seemed to be not the latter, he'd been coy about the whole thing previously due to Tegan and Clover being around.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt frowned.  He was here for what?  "She change her mind, or what?"  That didn't make any sense.  And what the hell, the bird attacked him, not the other way around?! He'd said that last time.

"What happened?" He asked then, more than a little interested now.  If they wanted him back something had changed, or something was wrong, or... hell he didn't know.  But he wasn't feeling particularly charitable towards the idea of accepting a return; he'd been told without much ceremony to "get out", so get out he had.
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
This would have been so much more fun if he'd been able to say more previously, dammit.  But everything was fixed now, so he could come back and all would be well.  Even if it was weird and unexpected and just generally strange.  It'd take a hell of a lot of getting used to, but this meeting was a way more cheery one than any other Quixote had since the promotion.

It was time for a short summary just to get all the excitement out of the way at once -- he could expand on it later once Colt got over the shock of it all, Well, I did say that I thought you kinda knocked Towhee off balance a bit.  And so, you know how I said I might have done something that might get me kicked too?  Yeah.  That was because I kind of hooked up with Raven.  Quixote was kinda sheepish about it, but that was drowned by just the whole fact he was acting like he was ready to tease someone.  Anyway, she went to go confess to Towhee what happened --  Dramatic short pause, then onward to the big kaboom, And she comes back from that... And hi, I'm alpha now, so's Raven.  Of course, he had to stop there with a kind of dorky grin.  Even though it had been about a week, it still seemed utterly unreal, and he still had no idea what had gone through Towhee's brain to decide this was the best course of action but what the hell ever, he'd take it.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Oh wow, Towhee completely stepped down? And Quixote banged Raven?  He'd been gone for, what, a couple weeks!?  He was stunned to silence a moment before he grinned as well, back at his friend.  "Fuck, grats bro!!" Raven was a decent catch from what he saw, and if they were leading together? Living the domestic wet dream right there!

"Didn't mean to throw her that far off, but hey, I can't say I'm disappointed." His end goal had been to force Elwood or Finley into a more active role by co-leading... not for Towhee to completely abdicate.  But that she had made that decision made Colt like her a bit more... from what he'd seen of Raven, she had a head for listening and politics.  

"So I'm guessing this is you overturning her."  He asked, though it was more statement than question.  Now the only question was - did he want to go back?
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
As long as stuff worked out in the end, this entire mess was more than what he could have wished for (like who the heck wishes to be alpha other than obviously not this dude?).  Thanks, man.  I still don't understand the whole logic behind it, but I'm not even done -- it's caused a damn avalanche.  Because apparently Towhee making that decision pissed the hell out of your sister and she and Elwood stepped down.  Considering it seemed nobody else was prepared for that result, certainly Colt's eyes would bug out of his head about it too.  IT did come with what was perhaps a little bit of bad news,  So you're not totally rid of Towhee since Raven wanted her as beta, which might suit her better anyway.  But I definitely get to call the shots on this one -- no Towhees allowed.  

Either way, I'd still really like to have you back in the pack.  I figure neither of you were blameless in whatever happened at your last encounter, so if you think you'd be able to tolerate her and the bird, the door's open.  It was really up to Colt.  This was Quixote attempting to fix things, even if only in a minor way, for there was no way Colt and Towhee would ever end up on okay terms if they never saw each other again.  Quixote didn't expect them to become best friends or something, but if they'd be able to exist in the same pack and maybe get over a few of the issues, it'd be ok, right? 

A brief pause, before he continued, awkwardly, And honestly, if Raven does have pups, I'd rather trust your brand of trouble rather than the utter nonsense some of the yearlings get up to.  Dear lord, what heinous things must those kids be teaching their younger siblings?  If the aggro squad grew from four members to six, that'd be awful -- though maybe it was only three, as it did seem like one might have gone missing for a bit.  At least Colt was usually just mouthy, and other than that one incident, this side of reasonable.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Ohman, Fin stepped down too?  He was surprised at first, and then he remembered their conversation.  She'd been all about passing the torch on then too... maybe this had just been the excuse.  "She and Elwood barely ran things then anyway.  I know Towhee said it was mutual, but you remember the move.  The Blackfeather stuff."  In every instance he'd ever seen Towhee have to lead, he'd never seen them anywhere but in the back.  They had other priorities.

He thought for a minute, then blew out a long breath.  "Not gonna lie, dude, I'm split.  I don't mind Towhee stayin up; she's a damn good protector and that bird is useful sometimes.  Don't get me wrong.  I just didn't like her alone on top."  He figured they agreed on that point, and if he wasn't such an ass, he would have likely been able to make that clearer to her at the time.  "But I'm not much of one to keep my mouth shut... so tell me this.  If I came up to you and said you were a shitty leader... what would you do?"  He watched his friend, keeping his tone serious despite the somewhat rediculous nature of the question.  The idea of hanging around his bud's kids appealed, as did once more having a part in his niece's and nephew's lives.  But he had to make sure he was right in thinking this role change wouldn't affect their friendship, and that he'd have a better go of it this time around.
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He did remember how Towhee had seemed to take offense at the suggestion that maybe Finley and Elwood weren't totally in to it any more, but Quixote pretty much agreed with Colt.  Yeah, I think they just wanna raise their kids, but hell, didn't sound like Finley stepped down in a classy way.  Maybe should have expected that, but I don't think Raven did, as the player makes a few more assumptions about thread directions.  Maybe the whole thing was doomed to fall apart anyway, but hell.  Little late to go back and suggest things are a bad idea, but we'll all deal with what we're given, I guess.  He would, anyway.  Stuff would sometimes go wrong, it was a fact of life.  Quixote was sure he'd mess up too, it was just a matter of how and when.

Quixote's response was rather wry, Probably hoping you didn't wait 'til stuff was screwed up to hell to mention it.  I don't expect to be great, and I know leadership can pretty easy corrupt, but I'm gonna do what I can.  And if I start screwing up, I'd want you to tell me so I can try to fix stuff.  It's not like I trained for any of this.  He was just some dude who got all this crud shoved his way.  He'd never put "be a leader" on his list of things to do, unlike a lot of wolves out there.  Quixote couldn't predict the future, but he'd like to think that he'd always be open to reason, always willing to listen to a friend.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He nodded, but he silently figured the comment about 'classy' was because Quixote didn't know Frog like he did.  His sister didn't do much gracefully; she did it loud or she didn't do it.  Drama was a family gene, especially (in Colt's opinion) on the female side of the tree.

He shook his head as Quixote answered his odd question, finally breaking into a smile and putting a paw up to lightly shove his shoulder.  "I was lookin more for 'tell ya to go to hell unless you want the job', but I guess that'll do".  He gave a little chuckle.  "Real talk; this pack is uptight.  Shitting on a kid for leaving to try and make his own way, my sister promoting Towhee and then hating on her for not wanting the job, everyone treating criticism like its personal..." he paused, then shrugged.  "I can't roll like that.  But as long as you think it'll be alright by you and Raven that I can't, I'm down for another go of it."
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Okay, so perhaps he'd answered more honestly than Colt would have liked, but whatever.  Qui smirked, taking a playful swipe back at him,  Hey, I'm no Blackthorn, I'm no Redhawk -- well, by blood, at least.  If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right and ditch as much drama as possible.  Way too much damn trouble to deal with otherwise -- maybe they just need to chill out and relax.  Maybe the problem was nobody showed them how to do things right so they just did things however the heck they wanted -- not that Quixote had seen it either, but he'd heard enough stories to know what people were supposed to dream of when it came to packs.  Fair leaders and opportunities, people setting off on adventure and seeking their destinies, packs that didn't have so much drama it'd give everyone a headache.  Maybe that meant he was blaming Finley for some of the latest issues, but certainly Quixote could change things, couldn't he?  Provide some easier answers and someone who wasn't gonna flip the hell out instantly to contrast to those who would.

People would always make bad choices, too, but there were certain ones that just needed to be allowed to be made, no matter what the consequences were.  And they're gonna have a hell of a time if they are gonna keep up the attitude about people leaving -- I can't imagine all the kids will want to stick around forever.  Damned if we could feed them all if they did.  Though he didn't think any of the younger members were really ready to go start a pack at this point, the fact that it was almost all family here wasn't gonna lead them to romance if they wanted that on down the line.  Eventually, some would have to be shoved out of the nest for one reason or another.  The Redhawk pack wasn't a small one, that was for sure -- the limit the land itself created might be closer than they all thought.

I don't think either of us are gonna harp on you for being honest or wanting people to not be obnoxious.  Change of leadership's gonna mean of things are gonna change in general, and calming everyone down would be good for all.  Another good role model and voice of sanity wouldn't hurt.  A pause, a smirk, Good-ish?  Yeah, so Colt might not want to help out with the dirty work, but if either of them wanted to change the pack to something better, nobody could do it alone.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
It was good to hear.  Colt and Quixote got along so well because Qui could read him and knew what he was like... same for Finley.  They used to butt heads, and still did, but she knew his asshattery was just that - words.  At least, he hoped she did; but he'd meant what he thought before.  She had changed, parenthood bringing a serious side that he didn't particularly appreciate, much as he loved her to death.  

Well, maybe it was his job to change that.

"Let's see if this pack has a chill we can find," he agreed, grinning and glancing behind.  He had nothing much to do after, so if Quixote wanted, he could probably come back now.  This wasn't gonna be awkward at all.  "I'll be as good-ish as I can manage.  And hey," he added, getting a bit more serious.  "I know this is your call.  But if it doesn't end up workin out.... let me know.  I won't be pissed."  He wasn't about to drag Quixote's new title down if his bein welcomed back ended up a major issue.  He was prepared to head off now; that wouldn't change in the next few months, and he knew his friend wouldn't be the one wanting it if it did.
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Quixote swung his head to indicate back towards the plateau, Well, c'mon, if you wanna try this nonsense again, let's go.    I'm sure a few faces'll be happy to see you.  Well, himself, probably Clover and some of the other nutty kids?  It wasn't like he knew how Colt was with everyone else in the pack, but Quixote hadn't heard any complaints.  Anyway.  Time for them to finally head back home now, right?

After a pause, he did continue, amused but thoughtful, Though when you do run across Towhee again can you try to like.. I dunno, try to make her like you?  Do her a favor or something or get to know her better, hell if I know.  -- I mean if she'll brush off Titmouse or Screech or whatever being a complete idiot, I don't think you did anything half as bad...  She was the one potential tripwire in the whole thing, and though Quixote thought the whole thing was a little goofy.  It was all bad choices, that was all.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
There he went with the mediating again.  It was probably the one thing about him that didn't gel with Colt; he tended to hem along with whatever side he was chatting with, whereas Colt was fairly certain there was no way in hell he wouldn't piss anyone off he felt something needed said.

"Honestly? Probably not.  But I don't think it'll be a problem; I don't got an issue with her if she doesn't got one with me." He shrugged.  Though he didn't particularly like Towhee much yet, he didn't have anything personal against her aside from the whole booting his ass out thing.  So if she was willing to renege on that he was a-ok.  He wasn't gonna apologize for having opinions, but he wasn't gonna seek trouble either.

"Let's see how this goes," he finished, and would follow Qui back, likely questioning him about his impulse bang of their new lead female on the way.  Because what the hell, man, way to get some.

im good to fade if you want! Or we can keep it on
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Sounds good to wrap to me! YAY FOR THE RETURN OF COLT! :D

He just wanted everything to work out.  If there wasn't a danger of fights, then all could be happy and well, blah blah.  Let's have the stupid nonsense be over so everyone could be happy for a while 'til the next disaster reared its head.

Well then hopefully it'll be no problem.  Though he didn't sound super confident, it was at least something.  Maybe they wouldn't end up squabbling.  Maybe in a few months he'd be cackling like a maniac because he and Towhee hooked up.  That would be glorious.  Colt'd never get to live that one down -- if only Quixote could will it into happening.

Qui would tell some of the story, at least.  He wasn't gonna go into the gory details -- despite being a scruffy as hell jerk, there was a bit of a gentleman in him.   But either way, he was glad to have his friend back.