The Bracken Woods you got two black eyes from lovin' too hard
18 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Heading south had seemed a good idea a week ago, when he departed. Now, picking his way through a dense jumble of bracken and thorned bushes, Brennan regretted everything. The male had not met with another in many weeks; the last several days, he had spent adrift in the woods. He had certainly downgraded. Only a short time ago, he had been the beta of a flourishing mountain pack. Would still be, had wanderlust not gripped him fiercely.
Life there was good, but not satisfying. Knowing the value of his skills and experience, he had resolved to search for greener pastures. Thus far, he had come up short. Brennan paused at the edge of a creek, lifting his nose to test the air. The scent of wolves— a pack— carried towards him on the breeze. The borders couldn't have been far. His curiosity was piqued immediately, but he bent first to drink from the creek. It had been a long journey, harsh on his own, and he did not know if the pack would be receptive. There was no point in rushing to possible rejection.
unshakeable, unbreakable, unkillable
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Lanawyn had broken from the Sanctuary, allowing herself to patrol the Bracken Woods instead.  Her thoughts were thankfully light — Ioa's burial had done a number on her — and instead she was mulling over the pack's name.  Bracken Woods.. Broken Boulder... why were they the Bracken Sanctuary if they were in Broken Boulder?  But, then again, Broken Sanctuary didn't sound very appealing.

She traced the edge of a creek, so lost in her thoughts that she didn't realize there was company until the wind shifted and the stranger's scent carried from the opposite edge.  Alerted, she sought out the stranger that was so close to her packlands and once he was in view, let out a small chuff.
— he hit me and it felt like a kiss
7/5
18 Posts
Ooc —
As he drank, he caught the scent of a pack wolf on the breeze. The winds changed course and he raised his head, watching carefully. A sylph stepped from the trees after some time, chuffing with eyes trained on him. Brennan studied her, expressionless. The fiery hue of her eyes drew his attention, but the woman was overall quite beautiful. How lucky he was.
"Apologies if I've disturbed you," He called to her as he drew closer, knowing what he'd think of a stranger lurking near his borders; bad first impressions were difficult to overcome. That didn't mean he was about to go away, though. "I'm curious about this pack."
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away
All anyone ever had to do was be polite, but the stranger's over the top manners were a good sign that this dude wasn't gonna be up to any trouble.  You're fine.  We're the Bracken Sanctuary.  I'm Lanawyn, it's nice to meet you.  She took a moment to graze over the variegated and highly contrasted hues of his pelt before she continued again.  For the most part, it does what it says on the tin.  We take in anyone who needs us.  No strings attached.
7/5
18 Posts
Ooc —
He blinked, not really believing it was as simple as that. It made sense after a couple seconds. Sanctuary, right. Brennan nodded as if he had never been confused at all.
"Brennan. Pleasure to meet you, Lanawyn." His eyes fixed somewhere beyond her, towards the pack's territory. A sanctuary... it sounded interesting enough. "I'd like to join your Sanctuary."
Brennan left it at that, assuming it didn't need to be more complicated. He wouldn't go making promises just yet— he knew he'd prove himself soon.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Well, shit.  That was easy.  Um.  Sure.  So, Brennan, where are you from?  What brings you this way?  Small talk wouldn't kill her, probably.  She began to lead the way back to the Sanctuary which, thankfully, was not terribly far.  I was joking, earlier.  There are strings attached.  She waited a split second for a reaction before she blurted, Small talk.  Being kind.  Niceities.  But other than that, you know.  No strings.
7/5
18 Posts
Ooc —
Apparently it really was as easy as that. Brennan followed without complaint, mulling how best to answer her questions for a moment. It was almost like a post-interview. Checking out the goods after you've paid for them. The whole thing worked in his favor, though.
"I've come from a pack far north of here. I joined in my youth, and worked my way up to the position of beta. I was dissatisfied, so I left two months ago with the blessing of my alphas." The male explained simply, but not unkindly. He glanced at Lanawyn with ears perked at her comment, curious but otherwise neutral. At the second comment, he barked a laugh. "It seems that's always the case. But not such a difficult task, in the right company."
His tone suggested, subtly, that she was the right company. Brennan had never claimed to be immune to feminine charm, and though slightly rough-edged, Lanawyn had plenty to offer. He shot her another glance, gauging her reaction before he spoke again.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away
At least you were polite.  That's about all we ask, you know.  It's a little concerning when someone just.. up and disappears.  She thought of Arrluk, although she never got to interact with him much.  And then there was Ioa —

(no)

— Oh, so this dude was a schmoozer, too.  It would normally be a little more difficult to win Lanawyn's attention but considering how bone dry it was looking in the Sanctuary.  Still.  She cleared her throat, her ears tilted slightly back as she gave him a wry smile.  Well, I'm glad you've found some.  You don't have to be so formal, you know that, right?
7/5
18 Posts
Ooc —
He nodded in response to her, thinking that mostly he'd never risk his head like that. Maybe things were different at the Bracken Sanctuary, but maybe that was more reason not to do it there, either. Ideally, he wouldn't have to leave at all. Brennan found himself a fickle creature as of late; he could guarantee nothing.
Lanawyn's wry smile let him know she understood his meaning, and perhaps it had been too forward. Ah, well. There was a reason he was still a bachelor, after all. When she told him he didn't have to be so formal, though— that was confusing. He had noticed the differences in their speech, of course, but had assumed it impolite to comment.
"And you don't have to use such a terrible language, you know that, right?" He shot back in his native language; his accent had long faded, but the more casual forms of the common tongue still escaped him.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Nyoom.  That was whatever Brennan had just said whizzing straight over Lanawyn's head.  Oh, sorry, I'm not billingual.  I don't... she trailed off, shifting rather uncomfortably.  Awkward.  We are close, though.  Shouldn't be long and we'll be in the territory.  I'll let the Governor know you're here.  

Had Brennan come just a few days earlier, she might have had Lily deal with it — but tentatively, she and Alarian were doing... better.  And that felt good.  His name is Alarian, his second hand is Delight.  Her tail swayed behind her amiably.  And then, what, I can show you around if you want?
7/5
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Their awkward and vaguely flirtatious encounter trailed until they met @Alarian, and together the pair gave Brennan the grand tour.  Just before they parted, Lanawyn encouraged the new boy to seek her out if he had any inclination to do so, and with a wink and a flick of her tail she was gone.
7/5