Wheeling Gull Isle i'm growing and it hurts
61 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Almost a year. It had been almost a year since Droman's birth, and while he remained a youth by any standard, his adult years were beginning to creep to the forefront. It was time that he settle on a trade, or else he run the risk of becoming just another name lost in the breeze. There were wolves who allowed themselves to come and go without leaving their mark on the world that they traversed, and while that nomadic life with no ties attatched did sound attractive to Droman's wandering heart, he knew that it wasn't the path he'd been destined to follow. 

It was clear which trade he wished to pursue, but it meant that he would need more practice by the shore. The moon sat high and aglow, watching down as he stepped carefully through the rising tides.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
The nights usually didn't bother her, but this particular evening, Maegi couldn't sleep. Restless, she climbed from her makeshift den in the brush, shaking herself off before taking a meandering path through the island forest. Her paws hit the sand softly, and she walked the edge of the trees for a while, skirting the beach. She was content to stay in the shadows until she saw a wolf-shaped form by the water, dark against the glittering waves.

Cocking her head, the girl trotted awardly towards it, a soft bark escaping her lips in greeting. The sand became suddenly hard, unchanging, under her paws as she drew closer to the waves. The water washed in, tickling her toes, and she watched as it receded. Then her eyes lifted to the figure.

It was a boy, about her age--was this Reed's brother?--playing in the surf. The sunlight gleamed off his pelt, an eye-catching mix of russet and gray, black and white. She was sure she'd never met him before, and any new face on the island, which was tinier even than Blackfeather Woods, drew her attention. Maegi wagged her tail, the ghost of a smile coming to her muzzle.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Not much of a hello, but she was curious.
61 Posts
Ooc —
A blanche girl approached, and although her appearance was...off-putting, Droman knew his manners. After offering a quick glance and a smile, he took the few steps back onto the shore. I'm talking to it, he laughed, not realizing how silly the practice sounded until after he'd already said it out loud, It's hard to grow up by the water and not become friends.

I'm Droman, he said, extending his snout for a nudge against the girl's shoulder as greeting. Who're you?
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Her eyes lit, intrigued. Perhaps it sounded silly out loud to most, but to her it was interesting. How else could she react? She had heard the voices of spirits, and spoken to Relmyna through a stone. There was more to nature than met the eye--she knew it had to be so--therefore, Droman speaking to the waves fit right in with her view of the world.

"What does the water say to you?" she asked, completely serious. "What do you talk about? I'm Maegi," she added, smiling shyly as he nudged her shoulder. She was unused to friendly touch; it had been so long, before the island, that someone had even cared to do so for her. Maegi didn't reciprocate, but beamed back, waiting for his response.
61 Posts
Ooc —
For a moment, Droman was frozen. Did she not think of him as a fool, or an over-imaginative child? Was there a chance that Maegi actually thought that there might be some validity to Dro's claims? That little gift of hope and encouragement went a long way with the boy; it would not be forgotten. It's quiet right now, he sighed, replacing himself at the foot of the waves and motioning for her to do the same, if she so pleased.

Sometimes, everyone comes out at once. You wouldn't believe some of the things that live here. Turning back with a wide smile, Droman glanced to see if Maegi was as interested as he had hoped. He bent down and nosed around in the sand for a few seconds, hoping to find a trinket that he might offer as an example, but there weren't any close enough to the surface. Oh, well. Next time.

Back to the dialogue. That's when we talk the most. But then there's nights like this where everyone is hiding. I don't know why they do it — not yet, at least. One day, Droman would know everything that there was to know about the waters, and he wouldn't have to wonder aimlessly anymore. I won't be mad if you think this is dumb, y'know.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She was all ears, and when he remarked that it might sound dumb to her, she shook her head in emphatic disagreement. "Back home, my family's gods spoke to me," Maegi said, a littly shyly--she'd never admitted this to anyone outside of Rokig or the members of the Woods. "I heard their voices almost all the time; some days and nights were louder than others."

She sighed. "They spoke in a different language. I didn't understand them until I started learning from my uncle," she explained. "And I only learned a little bit. So I only know some of their words." Her heart squeezed desperately tight against her chest in grief. So far away from home, it seemed like the tiny grasp she had on Daedric would be all she would have for the rest of her life. Everyone who could teach her was gone. There was Sascha, perhaps, but they weren't too keen; Kove, but he was not a native speaker, either.

"It's not dumb," she repeated firmly. Maegi stepped forward further into the surf, the water coming halfway up her legs. It was soothing, the ocean. A quiet, ever-present murmur. She wished she could hear the voices that Droman heard, and if she used her imagination, she could try to fashion voices from nothing--but in the end, she only heard the waves.

The daedra were not here.
61 Posts
Ooc —
baby has a baby crush eeee

Religion was something that Droman rarely thought about. He hadn't been raised with it, and seeing as he'd done fine thus far, there didn't seem to be a need. He was content with his relationship with the sea; it was as close to a god as he ever expected to get. Still, Maegi's stories intrigued him, and he longed to learn more. Can you teach me some? he asked, voice light as air, I don't know what I could give you in return.

As the girl took her few steps into the water, Droman felt a gushing smile grow on his maw. As far back as he could remember, he'd never had someone who really understood him, let alone a friend. But here was a girl who dared to make herself vulnerable for his sake, and honestly, he wasn't sure if he could handle it. I'm glad that you don't think so.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
*snuggles*

His question took her unawares, and the delight that had settled upon her face fell away, replaced by a mask of cool impassivity. Yet, at the same time, there was a voice screaming at her--don't clam up now, educate the poor, misguided boy! Her impulse to protect her family and their gods warred with her natural urge to teach, to tell, and her mouth contorted in protest, unsure of what to do. She turned away from Droman, taking a few awkward steps through the surf, head hanging.

Then stopped. Turned back again, her head over her shoulder. "Peryite," she said, pitching her voice a little higher, to be heard over the waves. Maegi walked toward Droman again, countenance shy. "The god of pestilence and disease. Peryite brings sickness. . .slow, silent death. I'm named after Peryite." She laughed without humor, looking down. "My mom didn't really like me."

Her eyes danced as she glanced at Droman again, smiling genuinely, now. "You don't have to give me anything," Maegi insisted, idly dragging her right forepaw through the water, throwing herself a little off-balance as she burrowed it into the wet sand. She giggled. "As long as you don't think I'm being dumb," she echoed him.
61 Posts
Ooc —
There were questions that Droman had, but that he knew ought not be asked. He wondered why Maegi's mother didn't like her, and if the feeling were mutual. He wondered why they worshipped such a dark god, and if it was one that Maegi still believed in. It occurred to Droman then that if he were raised the same way that she had been, he might revere their pantheon, too.

Of course I don't, Droman assured her, giving another small nudge to her shoulder. I think that you're very nice, actually. And smart. But I don't know you very well. Well, You don't know me, either, Droman laughed, thinking about how quickly the two of them had become friends (in his eyes, at least).
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Her face cracked in a grin, laughing as Droman offered a reasonable amendment to his compliments. She shrugged, tail slowly swaying behind her. "I guess we both have a lot to learn," Maegi responded, returning his nudge. It was so weird, having friends her age that weren't Ramsay or Euron. She wasn't sure if she'd ever get used to it.

For once, she was tiring of dark subjects, and she arced her stunted paw through the water to give him a gentle splash, droplets gleaming on his ruff. "Wanna play tag?" she asked, giggling. She waggled her bad foreleg in illustration. "I'm pretty easy to catch." She didn't know how much this would drag down her self-esteem, but hey--it was only a game.

And Droman seemed nice. Maybe he'd let her win!

Without another word, Maegi wheeled around and started to sprint awkwardly through the surf, not even looking behind her to see if Droman was following. Water kicked up around her, soaking her snowy pelt, and she laughed through her heavy breathing, enjoying the feeling of sand under her feet, the sun beating down on her body.
61 Posts
Ooc —
For a child so bright, Droman was quite dim. He hadn't noticed Maegi's impediment before, and now that he had, it seemed rude to not address it. Just before he could open his mouth to speak, the girl set off, so Dro followed begrudgingly after. It wasn't difficult for him to keep up, so he purposefully slowed himself down, though staying within earshot of her heaving. 

After a few minutes of chase, Droman finally sped up and bit the tip of her tail, only letting go to call out, Tag! You're it!
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
He was a good sport, keeping his distance and letting her run unchallenged before finally seizing the tip of her tail with his teeth. She laughed, skittering to go after him, her three paws kicking up surf and wet sand. She slipped and fell with a muffled oomph, shaking out her pelt and looking slightly abashed, then took off again, pale fur caked with dark gold.

Maegi hadn't had this much fun in a long time--moons. She'd been forced to grow up too quickly, and it showed; her countenance was rarely anything but serious, her words dripping with dour worldliness. But now she had a friend who just wanted to play, and she was going to take advantage of it as much as she could. Before he disappeared on her, too.

Perhaps he would sooner than she thought. His ruddy form was vanishing into the near distance, Maegi finding herself unable to keep pace. "Wait up!" she called out, sides heaving with unfettered giggles.
61 Posts
Ooc —
The distance between them allowed just enough time for Droman to find his hiding spot beneath the water's surface. While Maegi struggled to catch up, he drifted out into the water and submerged himself up to his nostrils. At this depth, it was all that he could do to keep his hindlegs planted in the shifting sand; his forelegs were too busy working at keeping him afloat to be of much use.

Although Dro had been looking forward to frightening his playmate, he began to run out of energy just as she made her approach. He took what was left and walked his way closer to shore, still slightly below the waves. I bet you can't catch me over here! he laughed, shaking his behind playfully as he strutted through the knee-high water.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
His taunt invigorated her, and her face was determined and playful as she splashed after him, eager to catch up. It was only when the waves reached her belly did she freeze in place, water rushing around her still legs, going on without her.

Her eyes were shut; there was no way she was going to open them, not in these unfamiliar conditions. Blind as the day she was born, her body hurtled through the icy depths, careening with the current. The seconds ticked by, and her lungs were beginning to burn. Her toes skirted the bottom of the creek, raking painfully against the jagged pebbles.

Maegi's head suddenly throbbed where it had hit the stones beneath the surface of Otter Creek, and she sucked in a panicked breath, taking shaky steps backwards until she stood on dry land again, saltwater dripping from her belly. She quivered from head to toe, staring straight ahead, eyes round and fearful. She felt teeth on her neck, on her face, ripping her apart. . .

It was only a few moments later that she realized her numb lips were chanting "No. . .no. . .no. . ." in an endless mantra, gaze fixed on the waves but not seeing them. Not seeing anything but that mountain, and those faces, the ones that haunted her nightmares.