Duck Lake I am an arms dealer; fitting you with weapons in the form of words.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 

Brynn padded through the grass to the edge of the clear blue lake. She took a second to scan the area once before lowering her head to the water and using her tongue to draw the cool liquid into her mouth. On the other side of the lake, a small herd of deer grazed and although they were being watched by a predator, the only indication they gave that they knew she was there was the occasional glance her way as if to check that she was still a safe distance away. She was hungry and their scent was tempting, but she had wandered from her pack's territory alone, and she couldn't take an adult deer down by herself. The last time she successfully hunted a deer, it was with a partner and it had still taken them hours to bring it down.

She sat down where she was, her ears twitching at the honks from the many ducks residing in the water. She thought she could probably catch one of the birds without much problem, but their scent paled in comparison to that of the herd still quietly grazing on the other side of the water. She let out a sigh as she slid her front paws forward to lie down. She would probably hunt down one of the ducks, eventually, but for now, she decided she would study the herd of deer in the off chance one of them proved weak or injured enough for a single wolf to take down.
: 0/10  : 2/5
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear, and I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
sorry for the wait on this--love the title btw!

There was a small crisis, in Morningside, though he wouldn't admit it to anyone outside the borders. With two pregnant woman and many small mouths to feed right around the corner, it was important that they amass a respectable stockpile of food--and their numbers were dwindling. They only had a handful of skilled hunters; with Sunny gone, and others scarce, they were grasping for anything at this point.

He was loath to leave Pema, but the hunt must go on. He strayed far from the borders that day, trotting across the landscape until he came across a herd of deer. His ears pricked, intrigued. Some were small enough that he could perhaps take them down on his own, but others--the ones with more meat, more to give--merited a pack's effort to catch them.

He was formulating a plan when movement near the shore of the lake caught his eye. It was a grayscale woman, looking at the ducks. With a shake of his tail, Shale made his way over to her, giving a friendly chuff in greeting. She smelled of Easthollow, though hers was a face he'd never seen before. Morningside and Easthollow were friends--why shouldn't they be as well?

"Hey, there," he said casually, settling in alongside her. "Thinking about bringing some duck home for Valette and the gang?"
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
No worries! And, thanks!

A chuff broke her concentration, and Brynn turned and moved into a sitting position as the unknown male approached her. His demeanor was friendly, so she didn't tense much at his closeness. When he mentioned her alpha, it peaked her interest. "How do you know Valette?" she asked curious to know if maybe they were friends or something. She had never seen him or smelled his scent before, although it did smell similarly to that of the Morningside wolf that had visited their borders recently to deliver some news, so she wondered if he belonged to the same pack. 

"As for bringing back a duck, I think Valette and the pack would probably benefit from something a little more substantial," she said, smiling a bit. Their numbers were reaching the max that could be supported by their territory and with the addition of Valette and Stark's pups, there were quite a few hungry mouths. One small duck would not provide much sustenance for one wolf, let alone a large pack with a nursing alpha.
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear, and I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
"Morningside and Easthollow are allies," Shale said, wondering if she didn't know--if she was, perhaps, new. "I've met Valette a couple of times. My older brother used to live in Stone Circle." He said a small, silent prayer for Murdock, looking out over the lake, then back at the woman, smiling. "I was thinking multiple ducks. . .but maybe you had something bigger in mind." His gaze strayed to the deer.

"I'm Shale," he introduced himself, with a polite dip of his head. "How is Easthollow, these days?" The pack to the east had not been without their share of tragedies, he knew. Now more than ever, they needed to have each other's backs.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her speculation turned out to be correct when he confirmed that he was with their ally Morningside. She was aware of the alliance, but had yet to meet any of the wolves from their allied packs. 

She followed his gaze to the deer and nodded at his question. "Something bigger would be nice, but would require some help," she said with a smile. "Maybe we could work together and share the spoils?" The two of them could probably take down a decent sized deer. She had done it before with just one other wolf. 

"Nice to meet you, Shale. I'm Brynn," she said in response to his introduction. "Easthollow is good. Valette and Stark had their pups a few weeks ago, and everyone is really excited about it." She smiled as she thought of their previous gathering; it was the first time everyone was allowed to meet the new pups, and it had really brought the pack closer together, she thought. 
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He grinned, liking where this was going. "See the old doe, to the back of the herd?" Shale asked, nodding at the deer. "She's walking with a serious limp, and her face is half-white. She's not long for this world, anyway--might as well take advantage of it." The man rose to his feet, gesturing for her to follow. They'd walk along the shore, close enough to keep the deer in their sights but far enough away to not alarm the herd.

Shale glanced over to Brynn with a smile. "Good to hear," he said warmly. "I'm expecting my own pups, soon, and there's another woman that's pregnant, too. Looks like we'll have a lot of youngsters running around, these coming moons." And there were Grayday's children, too, growing like weeds. He did so wish his brother was around to see them, still.

"Why don't I cut her away, and you stay hidden?" Shale asked, switching back to strategy, his tone growing serious. "I'll drive her toward you as best I can, and we'll take her down together."
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn looked towards the doe Shale mentioned and nodded in understanding. She stood with him and at his indication to follow, trotted to his side and walked with him towards the herd. He told her he was expecting pups of his own, and she smiled. "Congratulations," she said with an incline of her head before adding, "It appears that we will." 

Brynn felt the shift in tone as Shale told her of his strategy. He wanted her to stay hidden while he tried to get the doe away from the herd and move her towards Brynn. The plan sounded like a good one. "Got it," she replied with a quick nod of acceptance. 

It happened that there were a couple trees huddled together near the edge of the lake. Her color would provide adequate camouflage against the trunks, and the trees were big enough and close enough together to hide her well enough. She lifted her head towards the trees indicating that she would hide there unless he had any issues with it.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He was happy with her quick approval of his plan, and gave her a curt nod and a fleeting smile before breaking away, eyes fixed on the herd. They began to scatter as they saw him, crying out, but his focus was solely on the old doe. Their gazes met for an instant, and then she began to hobble away, trying to follow the rest of her family as they fled.

Shale increased his pace, long legs stretching out over the ground in hot pursuit. He took a chance, running alongside the doe and then cutting in front of her, gritting his teeth and waiting for the impact of hooves and bony legs. It didn't come--the doe darted sideways, his plan succeeding (for once). Like a herding dog, the gray male circled round her, trying to send her Brynn's way.

Finally, more or less, she was running toward where the other lay in wait; she'd indicated that she would hide near the trees, and the doe was taking a zig-zag route in that direction. Shale nipped boldly at her flanks, and her tail twitched in response, the old lady letting out a furious bleat. He was fast enough to overtake her, but perhaps not strong enough to take her down himself.

"Ready?" he called out to Brynn, preparing himself to pounce.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn was crouched near the trees, watching as Shale ran towards the herd. When they started to disperse, she worried that the doe would get away but when she started moving, it was clear the beast could not keep pace with the other members of her heard.

Shale was able to drive their quarry in Brynn's direction after a bold move to deer's front that succeeded in guiding her towards the trees where Brynn waited, ready for a cue to jump in. The male further herded the doe with nips to her flanks, and once the pair was close enough, he called out to her, his question piercing through her intense concentration. "Ready," she answered back, standing and tensing, ready to leap out and help take the creature down once it was clear it was the right time. She didn't want to jump out to early and potentially startle the deer into the opposite direction; she needed to wait until her partner initiated the take down, so the doe would hopefully be distracted and miss her jumping out to provide assistance.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
A little while before they were to pass the point where the Easthollow woman lie hidden, Shale lunged at the doe, sinking his jaws into her shoulder and taking a good chunk out of the deer. She let out a piercing cry, stumbling, blood flowing steadily from the wound. He continued his assault, trying to cripple her from the front while avoiding blows from her still-powerful back legs.

Muzzle coated with blood, Shale eventually hooked on to her front leg, teeth finding purchase and taking her foreleg into his mouth. He felt a small shock of pain against his stomach as she clipped him just slightly with that hoof, but he must have ripped something, for the leg soon went limp, and the deer only had three good legs to stand on. He let go, spitting blood and looking wildly around for Brynn.

"Now," he commanded, urging the woman to join him in the takedown. Then he fixed his eyes on the deer and launched himself, yet again, into the fray. It would not be much longer.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
There was no hesitation between his command and Brynn's leap into action. Her aim was for the remaining front leg and the fleshy part where it connected to the doe's body. If she could deal her an injury there, they would surely be able to get the deer to the ground. 

As predicted, the beast was too distracted with Shale to see Brynn jump out from behind the trees. It wasn't until Brynn's teeth sank into her targeted area that the deer noticed the second wolf, but with only three working legs, she wasn't able to do much. Brynn held on tight to her mouthful as the panicked doe tried unsuccessfully to rear up, unable to lift the added weight in her weakened state. Every move the deer made to shake Brynn off just caused more tearing to the spot to which she still had her jaws tightly clamped. 

Brynn then started throwing her weight down towards the ground in an attempt to knock the doe off balance, but each time, the deer somehow tapped into her adrenaline fueled strength and thwarted her attempts. The deer had to be close to falling; Brynn had felt her teeth tear through muscle and tendons and knew her remaining front leg wouldn't be much use to the beast anymore. So, teeth still clamped tightly on the doe, Brynn glanced to Shale, her eyes telling him she wouldn't be able to hold on much longer.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
It was time. Brynn had done her part in weakening the doe further, latching onto the other foreleg, but the deer wasn't going down without a fight. It stumbled along, battling every step of the way, its dark eyes still shining. At some point, it would become grotesque, cruel to let it live on. That point was rapidly approaching, and before it did, Shale galloped up beside the deer and twisted his head, seizing her neck in his jaws.

Her skin punctured, blood spraying wildly as he ripped through her jugular. It was over swiftly. Warning Brynn to step out of the way, he backed up himself as the doe crashed down, her ruined throat pulsing crimson tides as the shine, the life, left her eyes. She gave several twitches and then lay still; the chase was finally over.

Shale's tongue swept over his jowls, cleaning the blood from his muzzle. He gave an impressed nod to the Easthollow hunter, smiling with pleasure. "Well done," he praised, his tail wagging slightly. "Quick and clean. We make a good team." He stood back, letting her have first pick of the meat. He eyed the doe's bulging belly, hoping he could take home some of the fatty entrails, the choice cuts, for Pema and Aviana.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
To Brynn's relief, her partner soon came up beside the doe, positioning himself so that he could make a move for her throat. She watched as his jaws connected with the flesh of the deer's neck, blood spraying out instantly as he tore into her jugular. The spray flecked onto her face, feeding her adrenaline high. 

When Shale motioned for her to let go and move out of the way, she freed the deer from her grasp and moved to the side, watching as she fell to the ground and took her last breath. For a minute, she stood there looking at her hunting partner, panting, her expression filled with exhilarated glee. 

It took a few seconds for his words to pierce her heightened state, but when they finally registered, she grinned at him. "You, too. And yes we do," she answered with a bow of her head. It appeared he was letting her choose first, so she went for the meaty thigh, sinking her teeth into where it connected to the body and pulling it away. She also took some of the meat from the back before stepping away to let Shale have his turn. "We should do this again," she said giving him a friendly smile. She could always use another skilled hunting partner.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
last from me. thanks for the thread! <3

Shale only took a few bites for himself, tearing the other hind leg away from the deer. He then split open its stomach, seizing the choicest bits from there. He made quick work of it, and soon had a sizable pile of meat to bring home for his family. He'd cache most of it, now, returning to carry it all back when he could.

"It's a pity you're an Easthollow wolf. We could use a hunter like you in Morningside," Shale remarked, grinning. He dare not let the truth of that darken his words. Their adult numbers were too low, their pup count too high. It could set up for a brutal end of summer, if they didn't recruit some new members soon.

After all the formalities were over with, and the meat divided, Shale dipped his head to Brynn, amber eyes full of gratitude. "Thank you for your help," he said sincerely, voice warm. "I'll keep an eye out for you, next time I come around here. Give my best to Valette." With a final nod, Shale collected his meat and departed, a new glow in his chest.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
No, thank you! :)

Brynn smiled at his comment and gave a polite bow of her head. "Well, anytime you want some help, come find me." She had no intentions of leaving Easthollow currently, but should things change at some point in the future, it's good to know she may have somewhere else to go. 

After they both finished divvying up the meat, she turned to Shale as he gave his departing comment. "It was no problem," she replied with a one-sided smile. She was very grateful to be able to add more meat to the pack's caches. "I'll do the same." She gave a quick nod in response to his Valette comment before turning to gather as much meat as she could, smiling as she made her way back towards Easthollow.