Heron Lake Plateau Rock and a hard place.
42 Posts
Ooc — Java
All Welcome 

After the encounter with the cougar, Ikkuma had thought she was hot shit. She didn't take up any offers to go with the two others despite how great an idea that was - it hurt her pride a little to think she needed the help of strangers after a little scrap. It wasn't until she had wandered off from the point of conflict and her shoulder wound felt way too hot (and she took on more of those shit qualities) that she realized her mistake. So, she swallowed her pride and tracked down the edge of the Redhawk pack. It wasn't hard - she wound up back at the segment of plateau where she had first met Fire - and then with a sigh, called for help.

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
As luck would have it (or maybe not), Raven wasn't far from where the howl went up. In a desperate bid to escape the afternoon's heat, Quixote had lurched into the den and offered to take up Dad Duty for a while. Raven had agreed readily and, after making sure the pups were all fed and happy, she took off for the outer perimeter of their packlands. It had been some while since she'd last gathered medicinal plants, and she coupled that with patrolling to knock out two birds with one stone.

She hadn't had much luck so far — the heat was too intense for some of the specific flowers she had hoped to find — so she was passing the time sniffing around the boundaries of her territory and refreshing markers where it was needed when an unknown voice rent the air. It didn't take her long to find the stranger, a large, stocky she-wolf painted in earthen tones with a saddle of vibrant scarlet on her back. The smell of blood hung in the air around her, cloying and metallic, and the alpha became aware that the female was wounded. Her body language was neutral as she approached, though there was a wary hardness to her gaze as she asked simply, "Yes?"
42 Posts
Ooc — Java
She wasnt so bad off that the world was spinning or whatever but it was way too hot now, and the meaty gouge on her shoulder stung like it was full of fire ants. That means it hurt. She probably smelled pretty funky too. Meh.

Half expecting to see Ceara, it was kind of frustrating to be confronted by some rando with a bad attitude. On one hand Ikkuma was reminded of her own mother (Saghani was almost a doppleganger of this black furred lady) but that didnt really help. Last time she had seen her mum had been during one of the hardest times of her life.

Cut to the present.

"Hi," she murmured awkwardly, swaying on the spot, and absently remembered why she had called. "Okay so, I know I am nobody to you - but two of your ladies got in a fight with a big ass cat, right? I helped them out. I guess I thought Id be ok but..." she glanced down at her ragged shoulder as if that was all that was necessary to indicate she needed aid.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
There was a time, not so long ago, when Raven would have fallen all over herself to help this woman at the first sign of injury. And honestly, that drive was still there. The healer inside of her screamed to be freed, to rush to the lovely wolf's wounded shoulder and see to it immediately. But Raven was no longer just a healer. She was an alpha now, and had to think of her own packmates first. The last time she had taken in a wounded stranger and nursed her back to health, she had disappeared without a word and hadn't been seen since. So much time, food, and medicine wasted on a wolf who hadn't even possessed the decency to bid them farewell. Time, food, and medicine that could have gone to her own packmates instead.

Raven was learning a lot about leadership. One of the hardest lessons she'd encountered thus far was learning when to say no, when to turn away — even when it felt like the wrong thing to do.

She eyed the wound on the woman's shoulder. Her voice and expression remained coolly detached, but her gaze was freighted with concern. "Do you not have a pack of your own that can tend to that?"
42 Posts
Ooc — Java

It was difficult for Ikkuma to admit she needed help, and further than that, actually ask for it. She thought she was doing the right thing - trusting that the wolves of Redhawk would be as receptive (especially given the dangerous situation she'd put herself in to on their behalf), but the instant she heard the female's remark, her defenses went up again. Her ears shot back upon her head as a shock of embarassment swept through her system; she didn't want to admit to being alone either, despite finding it a comfort lately, and felt like she was being judged.

Uh, she didn't really know what to say but, knowing that her sharp tongue might get her in trouble, she had to try and stop herself from speaking her might right there — If I did, I'd be there instead of here. I don't want to ask for anything, I just... Kinda feel like I'm owed something for saving your comrade's butts, you know? She couldn't stop herself from being honest but at the same time, tried to temper her sentiments. It probably backfired as soon as she said it.

Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
I heard there was a job opening for a wrench-thrower. XD

As Niamh made her way along the borders, she halted when she heard a voice call for help. She didn't especially recognize the voice, but it was calling for aid nonetheless, and she figured it'd be a stranger. It didn't sound to her like the average call a wolf made, looking to join the pack, so she was intrigued. She bristled slightly as she made her way toward the border, arriving later than Raven whose scent trail she picked up along the way. She hastened her pace, lest the alpha meet the stranger alone and find herself in a position that endangered her. Following the fight with the cougar, Niamh too had found her self-confidence buoyed; if she could fight off a cougar, a wolf would be no problem, right?

She was surprised then, to see the same wolf who had joined the fight with her and Caiaphas. Her ears perked as she approached, and though she missed the conversation, she allowed her tail to swing gently as she moved toward Raven's side. Her eyes roved over the loner's wounds- she hadn't exactly been treated, and looked a bit off. Fortunately for Niamh, she'd had Colt to help tend to her wounds- which had been superficial at best. The four paralell lines from the cougar's claws were healing well, and had missed her eye. 

"You again," She greeted, with a wry look on her face. Part of her had expected to see the lone female again, but she certainly looked a bit more bogged down now than she had before. She assumed, then, that she'd come to get fixed up. She regarded Raven, to gauge her reaction.
a determination so powerful it could turn the sky storm black
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Ceara did recognize that voice.  She was also patrolling the borders, the opposite direction from Niamh when the call rang up.  It was vaguely familiar but familar nonetheless, and she arrived with a playful smirk upon her inky lips.

Ikkuma, she greeted with a wave of her tail as she peered over the girl.  She hadn't yet heard about the cougar incident but Niamh and Ikkuma both seemed worse for wear.  She made sure to stay behind Niamh and Raven, and wouldn't speak again unless she was addressed.

ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
*CONFISCATES JESS WRENCHES* XD

As the stranger spoke, Raven liked her less and less. "If I did, I'd be there instead of here," the earth-toned she-wolf commented, and Raven's ears turned rearward in annoyance at the subtle insult to her intelligence in response to an innocuous and perfectly reasonable question. Had she simply revealed that she was a loner, or perhaps stated that she had a pack but no medic, things might have gotten off on a better foot. But the woman's next statement was where things really went off the rails for her. The sable Redhawk bristled slightly, eyes narrowed, and as far as she was concerned, the conversation was over.

But then both Niamh and Ceara arrived at nearly the exact same time, both appearing to recognize the stranger. So Ikkuma was her name, then. How very nice of Ceara to provide it for her. Interesting that this wolf thought it was appropriate to show up and demand treatment without even bothering to mention her name. She spared a warm glance for her two packmates, before turning her attention back to Ikkuma. Despite her distaste for the she-wolf, her voice was smooth and calm as she replied, "You have my gratitude for helping my packmates, but my resources are limited and my pack is my priority. I wasted a lot of time and supplies on the last busted-up stranger who fell down on my doorstep. She probably felt I owed her one, too." Okay, so maybe a slight edge crept into her voice there toward the end, but she couldn't help it. She didn't like rude people, and whether Ikkuma had intended it or not, she had definitely come off as r00d.
42 Posts
Ooc — Java

The arrival of two familiar faces shifted things somewhat. She spotted Niamh first and her tail fanned happily behind, but then she heard Ceara speak and as her eyes flicked in her direction she felt a fluttering in her belly. The girl knew by the way the black furred wolf responded that she had messed up; a part of her was still too proud to ask for help properly, and beyond that, she felt spotlighted after the arrival of the others. Ikkuma didn't want to appear weak - especially in front of her sparring partner - but the leader's accusation was clear.

"I am not a freeloader, she would make that as clear as possible. There was no doubt that she was irritated by the insinuation Raven was making - this quid pro quo insult that she didn't deserve - but she had to do better to play nice. "If it helps, I'll even gather the herbs needed, or food for your people, or - you know, anything you want. I don't know how to fix my shoulder myself though. It - it feels wrong. Hot."

She would not beg outright but the look Ikkuma gave to Raven was specific; she was apologetic and doing her best to reign in her pride, hoping that she could convince these women to help her.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh glanced to Ceara, who- not surprisingly, knew Ikkuma as well. She gave her packmate a quiet chuff of greeting, but her attention was almost entirely captivated by Raven, whose tension seemed to rise fairly quickly. Her eyes slid back to the stranger, and they narrowed when Raven said something that made Niamh believe the red-marked loner had said they owed her something. Her lips pursed, and Niamh too tensed- the female had helped take care of the cougar, but she wasn’t entirely sure a life was owed for that fact. 

Regardless, Raven’s word was law- and Niamh remembered the amount of time and effort that had gone into taking care of Rosalyn- and she’d poofed without even giving them thanks. She nodded in agreement with Raven, even though she was grateful that Ikkuma had helped in the fight against the cougar. 

She seemed desparate, though, and willing to more or less take care of herself with her own resources- as long as she was told what those were. Niamh wasn’t in favor of turning the female away without any help at all, so she glanced between Raven and Ceara. ”She helped Caiaphas and I fight off a cougar; that being said, it was a conjoint effort, though Caiaphas took it on head first.” She admitted. Out of the three of them, Caiaphas had been the baddest of the badasses. Though she wnated to help Ikkuma a bit- she didn’t dare cross her alpha. “We were all in danger. Our reward was that we all got away alive.” She summarized. She felt, though, that if Raven would permit them to get the herbs elsewhere- or at least tell her what to do to kill the infection, at least that nicety would repay the stranger for sticking her neck out on the line for two packwolves. 

To Raven, then, she signed- knowing the stranger wouldnMt understand. -If you can tell me what she needs, I’ll help her a bit. Just not with our own supplies. Ceara knows her- maybe she’ll help. But it’s totally your call.- Niamh wouldn’t object to simply walking away- that was Raven’s decision. But if she was permitted to help, she’d do just enough so that she didn’t feel the reputation of the pack would suffer.[/i][/b]
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
How had Raven not known about a cougar attack until now?

Oh right. Kids.

Her newborns kept her occupied and sequestered enough now that she had trouble maintaining a full awareness of what was going on outside of her den walls. She understood the context of the wound on Niamh's face now. She nodded in understanding at the gamma's signing, and signed back quickly, -I thought about letting her stay, but I don't know. She's rude.- Ptero was so handy sometimes. She was glad Niamh had taken the time to learn it.

Returning her attention to Ikkuma, she considered the woman's words. It made no sense to send her away to gather the plants needed herself. She'd simply be gathering them from the lands immediately surrounding the plateau, and that was no different from using the pack's own stores because that was exactly where Raven gathered her supplies. Though she offered to provide food for the pack, the healer didn't foresee her doing any hunting anytime soon with that shoulder looking so bad. "It's probably getting infected," she replied to Ikkuma's comment that her shoulder was hot. "I appreciate your offer to work in return for my help. But you won't be hunting much until that shoulder has healed up some. How do I know you won't just ditch us in the night after I treat you, like the last outsider I helped did?"
42 Posts
Ooc — Java

It was growing clear to Ikkuma that these wolves weren't as friendly or accomodating as she had been led to believe. What was with the weird signing, by the way? She watched their exchange and tried to decode it, but it was so fast and so alien that she gave up within moments; whatever was going on (whether it was a new dance style or some form of communication) they were purposefully leaving her out of the loop. This further alienated the Anneriwok, but she tried to stay level-headed to the best of her ability.

Niamh explained the whole cougar thing — but it didn't seem to help. The leader was adamant that Ikkuma wasn't trustworthy despite having absolutely no reason to think such a thing. It was most bothersome that she was being lumped in to the "no good" category along with some random other person without just cause. When she was finally addressed, she wanted to ream the lady out for her own shitty attitude — but that was obviously not a good tactic either.

She took a breath and glanced between the girls present, her gaze lingering longer on Raven for a moment before she lowered her head a little and deferred with a shift of her attention, showing at least in the language of the wolf that she accepted what was happening, submitting to the decisions and Raven's rank.

All I can give you is my word that I'll do whatever is necessary. My word is my bond, and I'll prove it if you give me the chance. She couldn't stop herself from glancing at Raven one last time and inputing, Whatever happened with you and your last patient has nothing to do with me — I'm better than that. I'm Tartok, and we don't make promises lightly. Okay, sure, but she wasn't really Tartok either; that hadn't worked out the way she had wanted which is how she ended up here, alone and hurt.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Raven didn't seem to want to help Ikkuma too much, and didn't volunteer Ceara, who kept her mouth shut as well. At least she'd offered to be available, should she be needed- but as she'd made clear to Raven, it was her call, and Niamh wouldn't feel too strongly either way. As soon as Raven hinted that the female was rude, Niamh's eyes flickered back to her, looking her over. Of course, she hadn't said much to Ikkuma when they'd fought the cugar off, but there had been a certain amount of pride and arrogance with which she'd declared their victory after the cougar ran off- so perhaps she was simply strong-willed. She certainly wasn't taking no for an answer. 

Niamh didn't know what Tartok meant, but the female pledged her word. She'd heard various other wolves do the same- with mixed outcomes. Some had ended up becoming valuable members of the pack, and others had wandered off, never to be seen again. The way the female spoke- reminding Raven that her circumstance had nothing to do with Rosalyn's tweaked Niamh's nerves, and she tensed, hackles bristling. Yeh, she did have an arrogant streak, didn't she?

It was still Raven's call- but just to make sure the stranger knew where she fit, she volunteered a small warning. "We don't take kindly to deserters." She informed the female. "We track them down." She clicked her tongue against her teeth, which were shown just enough to reveal the tips of three sharp canines. She was willing to give Ikkuma a chance to reconsider, should she realize that she'd be better off just going. If she had any plans of secretly wandering off after being helped, the threat of being tracked down should be enough, Niamh figured, to either make her reconsider staying at all, or commit to her pledge.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Sorry for the delay guys!

Raven didn't know what "Tartok" meant, though she guessed it was a family name of some sort. The woman insisted she wouldn't desert them, but if there was still any doubt, Niamh's thinly-veiled threat was enough to make any reasonable wolf reconsider the gravity of the situation. The Redhawks were tired of being taken advantage of. This was not a community health center with a revolving door and cost-free services. This was a wolf pack, and Raven was done dispensing her resources and knowledge to outsiders who didn't care to give anything in return for the help.

She nodded her approval at Niamh's statement, and then spoke, "If you're truly willing to join us and lend your strengths to our pack, then I'll be glad to take care of that shoulder for you. If not, I'll tell you what you need to treat it yourself." It was time for a choice to be made, and the ball was in Ikkuma's court.
42 Posts
Ooc — Java

Her proclamation is met with resistance from the golden warrior and more irritation from the dark-coated leader, but not understanding. They do not recognize the name of Tartok and that is what surprises her the most. It is vivifying—Ikkuma cannot recall the last place she had ever been without some form of Tartok present; it is more than that, she is suddenly much more keen on proving herself to these people. Her attitude drops off a little bit, she is distracted by other thoughts.

Soon enough she is given her one shot—join them and finally escape her past, or gather knowledge and move on. She would much prefer to stay, as is evidenced by her abrupt response, lacking her usual fire for a moment: I would be honored to join you, and very thankful. You will not regret it.

She would make sure of that.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh was happy when Raven seemed to agree with her sentiment. For a moment, she’d wondered if maybe saying that she’d hunt down deserters would be a bit too much- but then again, it wasn’t too far from the truth. Anyone who decided to take advantage of their kindness deserved punishment, and Niamh- as fey as she might look- was keen on seeing that they followed through with their threats. 

Raven gave Ikkuma a chance, and Niamh merely nodded, jaw set. As this female was now to be considered a packmate, she gave her a neutral bob of her crown and a small smile. ”I hope not,” Niamh jested wolfishly. Assuming that she would be then treated by Raven and possibly Ceara as well, she gave the two a nod of her head, and sauntered off, content to continue her border patrol.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Welcome back to RH, JB! <3

The woman's attitude seemed to undergo a subtle shift after Raven's offer, and the alpha found herself relaxing somewhat. She wasn't ordinarily this uptight with people, regardless of their pack affiliation or lack thereof (so long as they weren't involved with Blackfeather Woods, anyway), so it was a relief to feel some of the tension ease out of the air between them. She flashed another small smile to Niamh as the gamma made her final comment and then headed out to continue her patrol, then she nodded in acknowledgement of Ikkuma's words. "Come on, then. Let's get you patched up and settled in." As she led the she-wolf into their territory, she finally introduced herself, providing her name, rank, and role as primary healer of the pack in case any of that wasn't obvious already.