Stone Circle What is that in the distance?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Backdated to the fire of Morningside, and the few hours after that!

Valette was doing her round of checking the territory. This included checking the wildlife and the border marking. If they were too old she would make sure it would be refreshed with a new scent. However, this late morning something was different. She sniffed the air but couldn't really place it was it was. The female continued on her patrol until thought she saw something weird in the sky.

Valette frowned. She decided to move over their border and climb the slopes of Bearclaw Valley. She knew the tops were too steep but she could get a nice overview of the land if she climbed as high as she could, until she could just look over the trees of Fox's glade. She could see clouds rising far in the distance. Dark and angry clouds. What did it mean? She howled for a pack member. Valette never experienced a fire so she didn't know what this strange smoke was doing, luckily it was far away from their territory but it did look close to Morningside from what her Ranger skills could deduct.
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Ears perked from Valette's howl, Greyback lifted his head and responded shortly after, his deep voice echoing through the trees before turning his direction from where he was walking and sprinting towards the source. Grass tore in his wake as his heavy paws thudded against the earth. It wasn't until he saw Valette outside the border and standing on a hill did he slow and stop briefly to compose himself.

"Valette?" he called, his voice soft and worrisome as he walked up the hill to be beside her. Looking out at the scene in front of him it was clear that there was trouble. He lifted his head into the air and sniffed harshly, taking in the scent of ash. It burned his nostrils and made his throat dry at the mere thought of being caught in it. "It's a fire, but we should be fine." He stated. He hoped everyone was alright, but surely that wouldn't be a case. Fires tended to be savage.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette's ears caught the deep howl instantly recognizing it as Greyback's howl. The female kept her eyes on the smoke but it didn't seem to come their way as quickly as she expected. It made the female rather relieved. It was soon after that Greyback approached. He looked worried. The female gave a quick nod in greeting. In his worry, he didn't seem to call her Lady Valette. The female didn't mind, perhaps he was finally growing more comfortable here. Or perhaps he saw he saw her more as a friend than a leader? She was probably overthinking this. "Greyback, good you are here," she greeted.

She looked at the smoke when Greyback told her that there was a fire. "A fire. I heard about it but I've never experienced it. It sounds bad," she spoke a bit worriedly herself. She didn't want to leave Easthollow, but she did trust Greyback's judgment that they should be fine. Valette relaxed slightly. "If my ranger skills are right, then I think it might be close to the territory of our allies Morningside. We should tell the other pack members to keep an eye out for Morningsiders if they need any help. I hope they are alright...," she spoke. She knew they had quite some hardship already.
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"...I hope they're alright,..."

Greyback hummed to Valette's words, his eyes searching the horizon. "As much as I'd like them to be safe and sound, I doubt they are," His tone was dark. He hated to admit the fact out loud knowing that Valette possibly had friends there. "I agree though. I shall tell the others as soon as possible."

The darkness of the smoke was stretching bigger into the sky. Over the next few days he was sure the smoke would reach them. "Do you think we should go investigate for ourselves when the fire lessens?" he questioned as he looked to his friend. It would be dangerous to send wolves now when the fire was still possibly raging. He flinched at the thought of anyone in pack being trapped within them. It would be ugly if they were to go see.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette's ears fell back in worry. Oh no. Their friends. Why did such bad things happen to them? Valette wanted to send someone out to look for them. Perhaps that would be a good idea. She glanced worriedly at Greyback. "Oh no," she whispered and looked at the dark plumes. She would not know what to do if a fire would be happening at Easthollow.

Valette nodded slowly when Greyback spoke. "I would want to. But I also wouldn't want to put anyone in danger. It should be someone with experience with this... fire," she spoke seriously. She didn't want some rookie to explore and get in trouble. They would have to see who was willing to go and brave the fire that might still be there.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"I would want to. But I also wouldn't want to put anyone in danger. It should be someone with experience with this... fire,"

Catching sight of the green eyes filled with worry and the small whisper caused the man to pull his ears back and look away, refusing to meet her gaze. Her voice turned his stomach, his confident air now crumbling as he thought deeply about her feelings. She was right, he knew they couldn't spare to put anyone in danger.

Greyback looked out at the land with a stubborn expression as he lost his mind to his thoughts. He flicked his tail behind himself absentmindedly and lowered his head as he peered into the lands before them. The crisp air turned his fur, causing it to flick in the cold wind slightly, a reminder that Autumn was now here and soon winter would settle in within a few moons. He felt horrible for Morningside.

After a long silence his gentle voice cut through it. "I'll go-," he replied. "I'll go, and I'll return."

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was thinking about who they could send but she didn't want to ask anyone to do something so dangerous. The female had enough loss to deal with in her life. But then she was torn about the idea that they were allies. She felt that she had to go. They should support each other in times of need. Then Greyback told her he would go. Valette snapped her head up out from her thoughts. "No, Greyback," she spoke with a slight frown. She couldn't ask that of him.

"I can't ask that of you. I should go," she decided with a firm nod. Steph could watch out for everyone if her daughter was still interested in becoming Beta. She had not seen her interact with others that much. Valette inhaled sharply, perhaps to gather some courage. "I should go," she repeated to convince herself. She grew more determined, however, when she thought of her children she felt that determination falter.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Valette was quiet. Greyback sat diligently and listened closely to her, waiting for her to say something. His ear flicked to her voice as soon as she did, and he noticed then that he was holding his breath.

"No, Greyback, I can't ask that of you. I should go... I should go,"

He let out a sigh, unsure if it was at her words or the fact that he needed breath. It pained him to hear her talk herself up to the idea. Valette had a family, a pack. She was needed way more than him. She was the alpha, and he knew there was no one to take her place at the given time. With Stark sick, the beta had been out of commission. "Valette," he breathed "You have a life here. You have children and wolves who look to you for guidance,"

The male shifted upwards to sit down beside her, his head turning to her without bowing. For the first time he felt like he could sit equal next to the dark wolf, no longer hunching over to emphasize the power balance between them. He trusted that Valette knew he was loyal to her and that he would do anything. Not just as her subordinate, but as a friend. "You have yet to ask me anything, let me do this for you...for Easthollow and Morningside."

The tall man's fiery gaze sought out hers in the bitter wind. "Stay, and let me go. I promise i'll return,"

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette kept her unsure hazel green eyes at him. The female looked visibly torn with what to do. She wished she would just go herself. Greyback reminded her of her children and of the other wolves in the pack that needed her guidance. Valette knew that. If she thought logically it wouldn't make sense for her to go. But Morningside being her friends she felt like she had to go.

Valette didn't even notice that Greyback didn't bow. She was far to busy with tackling this issue. She already saw Greyback as a friend along with being a loyal member of the pack. She didn't need constant submission from the male. "Greyback. I can't ask this of you. If something happens I wouldn't forgive myself," she returned to him. Her eyes locked into his fierce gaze. He looked confident that he would make it back alive. He pressed on it even.

Valette looked at him strictly for a long moment. She would have to let him go. Her mind reminded her how Steady went and returned with wounds beyond healing. Stark was ill and might not return to her also. Greyback had become a good friend and to once again have to go through the stress of letting someone go, someone she was close with, was though. "Okay," she breathed out. She cleared her throat. "I will allow you to go," Valette spoke trying to sound more serious but her emotion was seeping through it. It was such a difficult thing to do.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Im fine with wrapping up this thread soon if you are! :D

He refused to waver in the olive gaze that caught him, 'they're like gems' he thought absentmindedly. It seemed like forever until Valette spoke again. He could tell she was trying to be strong, she was strong, but the disparity seeping through her tone was clear to the man.

"Okay, I will allow you to go."

Greyback gave her a kind smile at the words, but sadness still held in his eyes.  He was worried for her, worried of what would become of the dark female while he was away. She seemed so lost lately, like she was preparing for something bad to happen. He so desperately wanted to comfort her; run his nose along her forehead and tell her everything would be alright. Everything would be fine, but knew his feelings weren't reciprocated.

"Thank you for having faith in me, Valette," He whispered, standing up and pulling away from her to look back at the land. It seemed vast within the overcast skies of smoke, the mountains barely visible. It was as if Easthollow was in their own world, sanctioned off to everyone else within the lands. "I shall leave at once,"

Stepping forward, Greyback trekked down the side of the slope to begin his journey, his ears pointed forward and head bowed low against the wind. It was only when he was a sizable distance away that he turned to look up from where he came, hoping to catch the figure of Valette.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette kept her green hazel eyes on the male. She didn't want him to go. She knew they needed him, or perhaps, it was just her that was clinging to him. He was always there for her to talk to when she was feeling less confident and even saddened. Some wolves might misuse that and take over the lead but Greyback hadn't. He had just been there for her. Valette slightly shook her head. "It isn't that I don't have faith in you," she returned. It was her own fear that he wouldn't return.

Her mouth tightened when he said he would leave. She just nodded courtly, inhaling sharply. Greyback ripped the band-aid off. No nudge goodbye. He dutifully went to look for the Morningsiders. Valette stayed on the slope and watched Greyback to become a smaller dot on the horizon, heading towards the dark clouds raising from the ground. Valette's throat tightened, hoping she would see him again.

- end -

wonderful thread <3 <3