Redtail Rise This life isn't romantic or free, there's no path to anything that makes any sense
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Private 
@Reigi @Nanook and anyone who is travelling with Reigi! :P slight PP let me know if you want me to change it

The journey away from the glacier had been difficult for Siarut, despite his desire to try and clear his head to become a better leader, he found it hard leaving the place they had journeyed so far to get to. He had asked Nanook to join him, and was glad that she had agreed to come. 

They had left as soon as the sun was high enough to illuminate their path, he was conscience of the fact that they were headed toward the unfriendly pack they had encountered only a few weeks ago. He hoped they didn't encounter any that might hold a grudge. 

Keeping his wits about him, Siarut's gaze often scanned the surrounding area. Looking for hidden dangers, and potential hunting grounds.
Inuttuk, Common

[Image: nsUn6t6.png?1]
{1/5} | {2/10}

you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Unlike Siarut, Nanook's cautionary advance came only from her nature. It wasn't so easy to shake the habits of a rogue, even when her fur was wreathed in pack-scent. More often than not, she caught herself watching the passing land, as if her eyes were the only ones she had to warn her of danger as it approached. A glance to her right reminded her that she wasn't alone, but Siarut's presence almost strengthened her guard. She had more than just herself to look out for now.

The land to their right rose in steep and charred steppes. She had passed this way with Clary, but the place had looked different then, covered in snow. Now, it was almost as if the snow itself had burned to ash, and littered the ground in a sombre film. The skeletal spines of burned out trees glowed almost eerie in the afternoon sun, and she turned away to peer South instead.

She nosed a gesture toward the grey horizon that marked the great rocks of the morraine. "Easthollow is about three nights travel from here. South," she added, in case her friend had been looking elsewhere and had missed her gesture. "That's my sister's pack. My brother rules Bearclaw Valley, where we were born."
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
71 Posts
Ooc —

By every account, a child as young as Yakone should not have been in Redtail Rise.  The mountain's edge was steep and footholds were not always steady, but Yakone was no ordinary child.  Most of her life had now been spent as a voyager, whether it was across the varied landscapes of the Teekon wilds or the shores of Meares Island.  She boasted the muscle mass and wear of constant travel, uncanny on her youthful frame.

Mama was somewhere close behind.  Since they had met the white man and his children in the valley, mama remained a ghost on her daughter's heels and a tension had crept into the air.  Yakone was sharp and quick to understand abstract concepts, but this was something she could not grasp.

She wondered if it was because she looked like him, like the man there in the valley.  She didn't remember him, for she had been stolen away at such a tender age that the only thing she felt when she saw him was confusion, because if mama was her mama, then why did she look so much like him?

Her mind worked this over as her eyes locked onto her paws, making sure she had proper grip as she maneuvered the worn paths of the Rise, and when she looked up she realized she was no longer alone.  Mama was nowhere in sight (although she was surely within earshot) but two strangers were and as she instinctively took a step backwards to avoid being noticed she tripped and was sent tumbling down the rocks.

~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
The rise hadn't fazed Siarut as the air became thinner and the land lost its greenery. This land had been scorched, the vegetation creeping slowly along the rocky surface, regrowing after devastation. Nanook pointed toward a mountain ridge in the distance, it was difficult to make out from where they were but he nodded slowly. Filing the information away. Easthollow and Bearclaw.

"What are your siblings names?" Perhaps a relation could be formed. They seemed far for any form of alliance, but being on semi-friendly terms was better than no connection at all. His question was pushed aside however as Siarut caught sight of a young white pup was making their way toward them, suddenly startled by their presence. She reeled back, and lost her footing.

Letting out a sharp gasp, Siarut dashed forward to see what happened to the girl. "Hey!" Sia couldn't stop himself from yelling, his native tongue falling out of surprise.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
"Valette and Xan," she softly said, her thoughts adrift in the memory of their faces and scents. But before she could wonder her personal hope for an alliance, Siarut started at her side, and Nanook swung her head back round toward the Rise, attention sharp and toward the present and immediate, in time to see the young girl stumble.

Nanook clipped forward, quick on the Northerner's heels, and drew herself short of crowding the girl, but close enough to give her a good one over. She looked much younger than her nieces - much too young to be travelling alone - but her scent was atypical, more like something of a vagrant or rogue rather than something a pack wolf would carry. As the Apaata's honed in on the ruddy splash tinging the fur along the child's chest, she leaned forward and flicked her gaze along the vibrant blaze with a frown. "Are you hurt?"
I'll do better
71 Posts
Ooc —

It all happened so fast.  She was banged and bruised but she wasn't bleeding, thankfully.  Her eyes lifted to the two strangers and her ears pushed forward almost in defiance before she shook her head and blinked.  What?  Words swam in her head — the woman's question, and then Did you say Xan?

Her cheeks flushed beneath her dense pelt (inherited from the very same Xan) and she stood up quickly, argent eyes darting around for her mother.  I'm okay.

~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
The girl seemed to be okay, her pale pelt carried dirt and debris from her brief tumble, but Siarut couldn't help but give a sigh of relief seeing that she hadn't broken anything. Tilting his head at her question, Sia gave Nanook a meaningful look. He held his tongue, and waited for his female companion to answer the child's question. He couldn't help but wonder if she knew who Nanook had been speaking of.

Taking his green gaze from the girl, Siarut looked around for the adult that surely must be travelling with the youngster. He knew Shivali would never let Sos or Tunerk out and about at this age, unattended. It was simply to dangerous. So the question remained, where was the child's guardian. Not wanting to distract, Sia continued his silence, waiting to ask an questions of his own until later.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
She couldn't smell blood - a good sign, so long as the girl didn't bleed in areas they couldn't see. Nanook knew the danger, but those wounds were hidden, and there was no real way of knowing just now. Someone would need to keep an eye on her - but what rose from the youngblood's lips turned her thoughts still, and Nanook blinked, taken aback as she answered, "Yes," and found herself exchanging a look with Siarut - her's more puzzled than anything else. "Xan. He's my brother."

But who was this girl? Turning a new look upon the youngblood, Nanook imagined the youngblood couldn't have been many moons older than her nieces and nephews born to her sister this season, which turned her brain to unconfirmed conclusions. Still, she asked, "How do you know him?" even though she already anticipated the answer.
I'll do better
71 Posts
Ooc —

She knew she was lucky, and she cast her gaze to the ground. Reigi came from behind, and she turned to look at her. Mama was bristling and on-edge, and Yakone licked a forelimb to try to soothe her. Xan is my dad, she says, before turning to Reigi, and this is my mom.

~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Siarut nodded to the other woman as she approached. This Xan character perked his interest, "You're pretty far from you father. Do you travel away from him often?" He thought it odd, for a family to be separated so. Although thinking on it now, that was fairly hypocritical, considering his niece and nephews. Mentally shrugging he watched the mother, daughter pair for their answer.

He glanced at Nanook, to see how she might be taking the answer the young girl had offered. It might be a shock.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}