Blacktail Deer Plateau "He found himself on the threshold of another"
18 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 

Though her trip had been long, solitary, and slightly dangerous, the scents on the border indicated that she hadn't wasted her time. 

Stale but familiar, the faded scent of her sister, Yizur. Perhaps her sibling had stayed on this plateau for a time but Uruuk doubted she had remained here. Yet, there was another promising scent to be found near the borders - the scent of another sister, Grezig. Uruuk licked her chops nervously, wondering if her sister would even recognize her. The fawn agouti was rather battered from her trip through Teekon.

What's the worst that could happen? She's not here and they ask you to leave? Quit being stupid.

Uruuk sucked in a breath, releasing it in a sigh as she approached the borders. She wasn't sure exactly how close was too close, but decided to stop a couple yards away just to be safe. The territory was relatively flat - a plateau - compared to the steep mountains at her back. The mountains made the east side of the territory nearly inaccessible - save for the rocky paths that led one down the mountainside. Uruuk was wary about appearing at an entrance that was possibly less frequented but assumed the pack was smart enough to patrol all entrances to the outcrop. 

The forest was dark and thick, made of pine and birch. It blocked much of her view of the territory and she was unable to make out much beyond the trees. Uruuk howled as she stopped outside the territory, calling out for whoever it concerned.

The girl sat on her haunches to wait, curling her tail around her feet neatly and giving herself a cursory examination to see what her appearance was like these days - she seemed presentable but then she was never good at keeping tabs on what she looked like. Uruuk shook her head, forcing herself to stop fidgeting.

She steeled herself, hiding any sign of nervousness or anticipation as she waited.
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
SORRY! I didn't have Internet for a few days!! I'm catching up on all my threads now.

Grezig’s head and tail came up as she heard the howl on the borders. She hesitated, wondering if she should allow Kavik or Liri to answer the call, since they were the Alphas. But she didn’t wonder this for long, aware of her own duties as a Beta. There was nothing stopping her from going to wolves at the border. As a Beta, she was supposed to help in these kinds of things. Wondering who it could be and what they wanted, she marched in the direction of the call. Who she saw standing there surprised her, though less so than it would have a few months ago. Another sibling. Had they all left her birth pack?

“Uruuk,” she called as she approached. “What are you doing here? Did you follow my scent?” She asked this only because that had been what Yizur had told her when they had met at the borders of the Plateau. She wondered if Uruuk’s story was similar.
18 Posts
Ooc —
"Nice to see you too," she teased with a smile and a lifted brow. "I came south in search of my siblings who seemed to have all migrated like birds," she joked. "I came across a mountain vale of sorts some ways east and thought some scents seemed familiar. And here I am."

"I smell Yizur too, is she here?" 
She asked hopefully, tail wagging at the thought. She peered into the forest, unaware that Yizur had departed the pack's territory and ranks alike.
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Grezig grunted at her sister’s teasing. She—Grezig—had never been very good at proper greetings. She always got to the point too fast for others’ liking. She was too logical that way, not emotional enough. No matter. She listened as Uruuk spoke of her travels, how she had come across the Vale and followed Grezig’s scent from there. 

“Yes,” she said. “I… My pack and I stopped there for a short time, but we settled here.”

’I smell Yizur, too. Is she here?’

Grezig sighed, looking past Uruuk as if she could find her other sister hiding in the scenery somewhere. Then she turned back to the sister that was here now. “No. She was here, for a short while. Then she disappeared one day, and my duties to the pack have prevented me from going to look for her. I hope she is not injured, but if she is not, that would suggest that she abandoned this pack. If that is so, she will not find a warm welcome if she returns.”

Grezig did not forgive abandonment or disloyalty easily.
18 Posts
Ooc —
Uruuk nodded slightly, confused. "I see," she said, though she didn't really. 

The air suddenly seemed a few degrees cooler, the mountain less a safe haven and more imposing - a cage. Uruuk looked long at her sister again, disappointed. She had imagined this meeting going well...better. It seemed Grezig wasn't as happy to see her as she hoped, nor did the prospect of joining seem as exciting. 

"I came here to find you guys but if this," she gestured at the plateau with a sweep of her cinnamon muzzle, "is your thing, I won't intrude on it. I can always find somewhere else to live that's nearby," she offered.
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
’I see,’ said Uruuk.

And there was an awkward silence. This pained Grezig, but she wasn’t sure how to fix it—wasn’t even sure what had caused it.

Uruuk called the Plateau her thing. Grezig supposed it was, sort of. She was the Beta, after all. But still, the way Uruuk had said it sounded more like an insult than anything else. Grezig’s face became neutral, her eyes deadening a bit. She straightened her spine a little more. “You are welcome here, sister, but you do not have to stay here.” She paused, lingering on a thought. “We could use the numbers,” she admitted, her voice softening, “but do not feel pressured to stay. Do as you wish.”
18 Posts
Ooc —
The words hadn't meant as an insult, she just didn't think Grezig wanted her there. If her sister no longer wanted her family within the pack, Uruuk would have been hurt but she would have moved on. It seemed her words had not helped the situation as Grezig's brows drew in and her face grew stony. 

Uruuk's eyes narrowed at her sister's tone, for she had traveled all this way just to see her sister and Grezig was acting as if she didn't even care. It stung but the agouti got over it, for she didn't expect an apology from her stoic older sister. 

"I only meant I didn't want to infringe on your new life. I came to see you and it would be pointless to leave now. If you have the room, then I would like to join your pack," she stated, just as neutral as Grezig had been.
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
’I only meant I didn't want to infringe on your new life,’ Uruuk said.

Grezig opened her mouth to reply, but her sister was still talking. Uruuk had come to see her. It would be pointless for her to leave now. She wanted to join the pack. Grezig waited a beat, to be sure she was done speaking.

“You are not infringing,” Grezig said. “My anger at Yizur has nothing to do with you.” She hoped that clarified things a bit more. Grezig had left her birth pack with the blessings of her dam and sire. She assumed that her other siblings had all done the same. But Yizur had disappeared from the Plateau without a word to anyone and that is what pissed Grezig off. Her sister could, perhaps, be injured, and that thought terrified the earthen female, but all of them were pretty hardy, so that likelihood was small. Or, maybe, Grezig simply refused to think about Yizur being dead somewhere without her knowing.

“Should I call for the Alphas?” Grezig asked, shaking her head to clear her thoughts. “It is not necessary, since I am the Beta and can accept new members myself, but… if you wish to meet them now, that is fine.”
18 Posts
Ooc —
Her face didn't change at this statement, remaining cool and neutral. She'd thought this would be a slightly happier reunion - given how long it's been since she's seen any of her siblings - but if Grezig wasn't mad, then she'd take whatever emotion she could get even if that was only formality.  

"If you'd like. I can always introduce myself later if it's less trouble," she offered.
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Fade? God I'm so sorry I suck ass responding to this thread.

Grezig thought about it, and then shrugged. She’d already once accepted Yizur. She was sure Liri and Kavik trusted her enough to accept another of her own sisters into the pack without having to call for them. “You can meet them later, then,” she said. As a way to make up for her shitty greeting, she asked, “Would you like me to give you a tour of the territory?” Hopefully Uruuk would agree and they could maybe catch up properly. “We have a river running through the territory, and we have a cave system we use as shelter and to store medicinal herbs and things.”
18 Posts
Ooc —
Uruuk nodded, reminding herself to seek out the leadership later to introduce herself. (It wouldn't do any good to have them thinking she was an intruder after all. She rather liked her face the way it was, thank you very much, and didn't want it ripped off by an aggressive Alpha.
An exaggeration probably, but still.)

"Sure," she answered easily, eager to put the strange tension behind them and catch up with her older sibling. She nodded attentively at the description, reminding herself to explore a bit on her own later on.
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Grezig nodded when Uruuk agreed to a tour. “Good. Come on, then.” She turned with a tiny smile and led her away, farther into the Plateau. “I’m glad you came,” she said, trying to put the awkwardness between them to rest once and for all. “I’m sure you’ll do fine here. The Alphas accept all kinds, with all skills.” They walked together and continued their conversation as they went.

Fade? We can have a new one if you want!