Broken Boulder Allow Me To Mansplain "Puns" To You, Since Hillary Clinton Didn't
117 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
their father hasn’t been around so much the last few days and brilliance doesn’t understand. sure, someone’s probably told her that he’s sick (she kinda remembers that) and that he was staying away so he didn’t get them sick. well, that’s stupid. you can’t just leave them with other wolves and puppies she doesn’t know. especially annoying ones! ones she wants to bite!

ugh.

she doesn’t even sleep there anymore. she and @Solomon (pm me if this is not okay) stick to one another in their own little hidey place and no one has said nothin’ yet. so.

that morning, she steps out into the open and stands there. she looks up, first, and then to the left, right, and down at her feet. she repeats it once, twice, and then sets off, making a beeline to where she thinks @Delight is, huffing and puffing the whole way.
i just want to find a god
and i hope she loves me too
✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away
apologies for the delay, angel <3

his 'cold' is clearly no cold at all. thank god he thought to isolate himself -- if any of the children caught his illness, delight wouldn't know what to do -- but he does not know what on earth it is wrong with him. he aches, clinging to consciousness listlessly, more an effort for alarian's sake than his own. his temper is short, frustrated by his own limitations, by the timing, by the bloody cats everywhere. if it weren't for his children he would think: it would be better to die in this than keep dragging on, suffering; if queenie were alive he might give in to this thought. but she is not and he cannot leave his children, even if seabreeze is here and part of him wishes -- well. she's a better mother than him, is all.

he thinks at first alarian is approaching him, and then queenie, the sight of familiar merle wildly disorienting until his fogged senses come together. "brilliance," the chancellor croaks -- fuck. he folds his scrawny form onto itself, as if hoping to conceal the effects of his sickness from his daughter. she shouldn't be here -- what if she catches sick too! -- but he doesn't have the energy to shoo her. "why're you here," delight manages instead, attempting a disapproving frown that looks mostly miserable.
but we were worried that you'd fallen in the river, or worse
but then you sent us back a letter, it said in capital letters
"THE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO CATCH YOU"
[Image: 8jSCQgn.png]
117 Posts
Ooc —
her father is… surprised to see her? scoff. he should be excited. it’s been days. in fact, she barely remembers the last time they’ve really spent time together that didn’t involve those stupid other puppies.

“cuz i wanna stay with you,” she tells him with a shrug. her cheek is still tender and one of her baby teeth has already snagged loose. “i don’t like bein’ with th'other puppies,” brilliance adds, sweeping her big, puppy dog eyes up at her father. pretty please, they ask, with all the cherries on top.
✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away

though they are yet young he can see so much of queenie and himself in them. perhaps it is projection -- this flare of temper is st. clair through and through, this long-worn glower is pure singing-sunglight -- they are small and still forming their personalities.

still.

he turns to hide a cough in his leg, then looks back to her, giving up the battle before it's begun. "you gotta be nice to them," delight says instead, without any real force. he doesn't have the energy to play counselor between the litters -- sorry seabreeze. his kids are a menance. but they're his menance, so. "c'mere, just, don't let me cough on you, ok?" he sighs, rearranging so that she might come closer to him if she wants. "what do you have against the other puppies anyway?"
117 Posts
Ooc —
of course, delight says the thing he’s supposed to say. you gotta be nice to them. ugh. she rolls herself. clearly, she doesn’t want to but she keeps her mouth shut. she’ll be nice to them, maybe, only when someone is looking. that’ll solve the problem. besides, no one seems to be around much anyway. not when she met the wimpy boy puppy and annoying girl puppy.

at the mention of being coughed on, however, brilliance scoffs. “well don’t cough on me!!” she shouts in disbelief, staring up at her sickly father as she scoots closer. why the fuck would you cough on me dude.

“i don't like 'em. they're annoyin' and loud and they're such... mamas' babies,” she tells him, a little harshly. it's not fair they got two mamas when hers left and now she might have to share her pa? no, she wasn't going to have that.  “i don't wan'em 'round 'nymore.”
✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away

wow she is so small and demanding and he is so charmed by it, whether or not that is a good thing. an amused smile twists his mouth, crinkling his eyes at the corners as she shouts. "fair point," he concedes, listening as she explains why she doesn't like the other children. the smile fades a little.

"do you miss your mama?" delight asks, shifting the focus of the conversation. he can't force them to be nice to seabreeze and olive's brood -- or, well, he probably could, but let's be honest, he's not going to. he does sigh and lay his head down, apologetic.
117 Posts
Ooc —
delight doesn’t really say anything to affirm or validate what she’s saying. there’s no i’m so sorry or it’ll be okay or direction that she has to be nice at all. is he even listening?

instead, he asks about ma and she scrunches her face up. why bring her up? what does she have to do with anything at all? she shakes her head forcefully and, as if it weren’t enough, she reaffirms it with a stern “no.” which is, of course, a lie. all she does is miss her mama but she won’t say it or show, especially in front of pa or her littermates. they’re all doin’ fine without her, so is she.
✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away

her 'no' earns a frown, delight reaching down to bump her with his nose questioningly. he doesn't believe it for a second, of course, any more than he'd believe it from mali or solomon. (or maybe he's projecting, and the grief is all his, unearned, a stone in his belly for-ever).

"it's okay if you do," he tells her, bracing for her reaction, "i mean -- i do, you know?" maybe if he tells her that -- if he's honest -- maybe she'll be honest with him, too, or at least understand a little better.
117 Posts
Ooc —
brilliance leans into the touch and takes a deep breath. her pale blue eyes stare at the ground and she wishes to fall apart and absorb into the dirt. she can stay here with delight, always, and not worry about anything else. because she will be dirt.

her little, but oversized head shakes and ears flop, looking up when he admits he misses her too. “i guess,” she tells him with a little shrug, lowering to her rump and leaning into his shoulder. “it’s stupid she left.”
✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away

ah, there it is, some familiar reticence masking her true feelings (or so delight projects) -- his daughter after all. just, you know, with extra aggressive flair courtesty that st. clair bloodline. but she is leaning into him and accepting him and if he were a cat he'd be purring. 

"it is," delight agrees, perhaps undiplomatically. he's never been the best at, oh, tact, and he does not feel the need to defend queenie to his children, when they have been the most hurt by her departure. what can he say? well we didnt really plan on you, and both of us were pretty miserable, so i can't really blame her but still... no. instead he huffs and grooms gently behind brillo's ears. "but," he starts, "you still have me -- always -- and you have solomon and mali, too. and we can be sad or angry or -- whatever you feel about your mother -- together, until we get past it."
117 Posts
Ooc —
brilliance stares at the ground. delight validates her feelings. it is stupid. their papa didn’t leave them, why did their mama? why do the other puppies have two mamas? that’s not fair. and now they stay in their space. what do they want? her papa? her heart aches at the thought. so does her stomach.

she swallows back a wet lump in her throat and closes her eyes as he preens the back of her head. she leans a little heavier into his leg. “you’re not gonna be their papa, are you?” asks brilliance, lifting her head a little to look up her father in all his sickly glory.
✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away

her question unseats something in him, and not for the reasons he'd expect. "of course not," delight is quick to reassure, the crack in his voice easily dismissed as coming from his illness. but why -- why these feelings? it's not any different from his own children calling him papa -- but maybe that is a name and not a noun. maybe delight does not want to be nouns

these are not thoughts he can deal with right now, and so he shuffles them away, refocusing through a sickly haze on his daughter. "seabreeze -- their mama -- is a very old friend of mine," he tells her, in an effort to help her understand, "from way before you were born. if you can be nice to her children for my sake, it would make me happy, brillo." guilt works, right? right? "but that doesn't mean they are my children now or that i'm replacing any of you, promise."
117 Posts
Ooc —
her assures her that she doesn’t have to share him but he turns around and talks about one of the moms. seabreeze. brilliance scoffs. she doesn’t know which one is which yet—she didn’t care to learn—but she listens anyway. maybe if she’d come here first without the other puppies she coulda liked her more. or better, at least. ugh. whatever. this is annoying.

“maybe,” she mumbles, lowering her body to the ground and making herself comfortable. “i can try.”

✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
686 Posts
Ooc — remus
Away
wrapping up<3

"thank you," delight murmurs, feeling his muscles slacken as tension drains from his body. if he can get even one of them to play nice, it'll be easier to get the other two in line... in theory. who knows with queenie's genes. feeling fatigue weigh down on him, the androgyne yawns, curling around brilliance, who seems to be settling down as well. it doesn't take long before he's drifted asleep -- assuming his daughter doesn't wake him, he'll stay like this for a while, as content as he can be in the circumstances.