Blacktail Deer Plateau Beneath that girlish exterior lies a fascinating and complicated creature
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Private 
Follow-up thread for @Minori!

Just as the sky was beginning its shift to warmer shades, the nosferatu rose. He emerged from his new favored spot in the hollow of a broad pine tree, briefly stretching out his legs before setting off to indulge in an outing as he did most days. Corvus put his snout to the ground to examine what life was nearby, and one particular scent stuck out: Minori. He nearly stopped entirely in his tracks without thinking; it was as if his body knew what he wanted before his mind did. The two had seen each other a handful of times recently, but only when their presence was required and always in a group. They didn't speak and hardly acted as if the other even existed at all.

It was time to put an end to this dance around the tension between them. Though Corvus' feet carried him in her direction, a strange... knot was forming in his stomach. What was this feeling? He'd never felt it before, but it was unpleasant, urging him to turn away and avoid confrontation. It was similar to the apprehension he felt in his gut when rushing into battle but more... nagging. Sure, the interaction would likely be tense at best, but this was nothing compared to what he'd been through before.

So why was he feeling so strongly about what happened between them?

Minori made him experience feelings he never had before. Emotions were never his strong suit, but Corvus was determined to understand them better, if only to quell the turmoil he'd been feeling lately. His motivation to seek her out was not all selfish, though; he truly wanted to know... how she was faring. He wanted to see her fire burn bright again.

Finally, her figure appeared in the distance, and Corvus picked up his pace, clearing his muddled mind so that he could properly converse. Minori, He uttered softly once close enough to be heard, posture tentative and somewhat diffident, for once. He was treading new waters, and they were bitingly cold. Unsure of what to say next, he left it at that to see how she would respond, waiting with baited breath.
I cannot be killed by dogs. It takes a man to kill a monster.

Romanian | English
574 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Warrior
An abandoned deer den had become her place to rest and retreat to after a long day, it had taken some digging out but finally it was spacious enough for her to be comfortable. She had gone inside for some alone time, resting and pondering things. This place would never be like her homeland, nothing could replicate that but perhaps it could be home in a new way. She liked it here and as much as it scared her, she was fond of most everyone in the pack as well. Most had her neutral respect and loyalty but there were a few she had actual respect for and even was admittedly fond of. There was Liri who stunned her and humbled her in the way she lived and lead with pride despite her leg. There was Grezig, fellow warrior whose skill she admired.

Then there was Corvus. Quiet, Calculated, Arrogant Corvus. The man who apparently made her walls crumble so quickly she hadn't even noticed. The one who reminded her of love, affection, lies, betrayal. She avoided him like he was infected with a deadly disease, only being close and interacting when it was a group scenario. She had to, she was weak and she feared if she showed it and accepted it she would break. What if he lost his interest in her friendship because she grew warm and accepting instead of burning and fierce? It would hurt, just as bad if not more then the first time. Her thoughts were interrupted quite suddenly and her head shot up, staring out of her den. It figures the fates would throw him at her when she was fearing him most. "Corvus. Can't you use that brain of yours and understand what it means to be avoided?" she breathed the words out in an icy tone, but her tone shook ever so slightly a look of guilt and hurt crossing her face as she turned away to hide it.
Merc. Mastery: 6/20
Purple= japanese
Bold= english
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
It appeared she'd found her own secluded spot to rest. He hoped he wouldn't be waking her, as that would only cause her to have even less patience with his unwanted presence. Fortunately, Minori was still awake, but as expected, she was displeased with his presence. "Corvus. Can't you use that brain of yours and understand what it means to be avoided?" She snapped. A soft smile formed from seeing that she still had some fire in her, but it was bittersweet.

Corvus' smile dropped when he saw the flame go out, and Minori turned her face from him to conceal the pain that shone through. However, he'd already seen it, and the hurt it incited stabbed at his chest. I do understand, He murmured, voice soft as a caress. Slowly, he lowered himself into a lie so that his face was level with hers, also signifying that he intended to converse at length. Then, he asked, Do you intend to avoid me forever? He'd given Minori time away from him and didn't want to press her too much, but Corvus wasn't going to let this continue any longer.

Romanian | English
574 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Warrior
She turned back to look at him, face a mask of composed coolness just in time to see his smirk fade. She watched as be plopped himself down in her space, levelling with her in a deliberate way that had clear enough meaning. Annoyance and a reluctant sort of amusement conflicted and she ended up snorting and shaking her head slowly. "Apparently not. Make yourself right at home" she snarked her tone a bit more sarcastic and normal. She narrowed her eyes and studied him, thoughts racing. Surely discussing her problem, exposing her weakness, and having him lose interest now would be easier then if she did so when she became more attached? She sighed and stretched her forelegs out in front of her "I push people away because..." she paused for a moment and thought about how to word it. "The more people I love, the more people I call friends. The more people who hold the power to hurt me" she admitted.

She smiled in a bitter sort of way and gave a empty sounding laugh "so I just hold my head up and act like I don't give a shit." her seafoam eyes darkened for a moment "I can't do it around you. It's gonna be Higoro all over again isn't it? I'm going to become your friend and develop some kind of attachment, platonic or not and I'm going to get hurt." she voiced her thoughts openly, breezing through it all as though if she were to stop she would never speak of this again. "You push me. To open up, to be myself but also...not keep to myself. I like you, you're the first person I have allowed myself to become fond of in a very long time. There was this one man, I almost joined his pack but then I met you. I haven't had a friend in so long.." she trailed off her voice shaking as the facade of a powerful general faded and instead was replaced by a wide eyed, afraid princess who had been broken at a early age.
Purple= japanese
Bold= english
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
The quip that followed his question and subsequent settling down was expected. Minori fully opening up on her own, though, was not. Corvus listened intently, disheartened to hear her voice the pain she felt. He was glad he understood now, despite the fact that knowing hurt him, as well. She hinted at the possibility of developing feelings past platonic and even admitted that she forwent joining another pack to instead track him all the way to his. He'd underestimated how strongly Minori felt about him, and perhaps he was doing the same with his own towards her―the foreign feelings only she elicited from him.

Corvus only spoke once absolutely sure she was finished. Minori... He murmured in a tone gentler than ever before in his calloused, hardened life. While opening up to others leaves one vulnerable to them, we are all social creatures to some degree. Would you rather be guaranteed a life of bitter solitude, or take a risk but be able to enjoy the company of others? The mercenary explained logically, for it was the only way he could think to quell her fears. His question was a rhetorical one, as surely she wasn't happy like this.

After a pause, he continued; perhaps using himself as an example would help. Seeing that she opened up so much to him, it only felt fair to do the same―and perhaps that would help Minori realize she could trust him. I never knew my father, and my mother died when I was a yearling. My brother and I had each other when we joined a band of mercenaries. However, in our final war, I lost him, too. Corvus stopped for a moment to swallow the lump forming in his throat. He fought to keep his tone even. After that war, the few of us that remained went our own ways. When I entered these wilds, I was completely alone. I had lost everyone and everything I have ever known. Up until that point, I took my relationships for granted. Don't do the same to yourself.

His voice was a whisper when he breathed, I cannot bear to watch.

When Corvus finished, his eyes stared into hers. The windows to his soul were filled with a breed of pain that eroded one's mind over time like water over a stone. It was a slow process; so slow one often didn't realize it was wearing away at them until they were left damaged beyond repair. That was the pain he was watching Minori set herself up for, and he would do everything in his power to stop her.

Romanian | English
574 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Warrior
He had a point, She did crave being around others even though she was scared of it at the same time. She lifted her gaze to his, ears perking up at the gentleness of his tone. It was weird that he was being so warm, it struck her that she hadn't really ever seen him be so open before. For that reason alone she let her guard down completely. She listened to his story, eyes darkening with sadness and sympathy. "After losing so much...even if you seek the company of others wouldn't it still be best to at least distance yourself slightly? Keep boundaries and separate yourself at least somewhat?" she asked looking into his eyes. She saw there a lifetime of pain beyond the time Corvus had even been alive, so much more than should have been dealt to anyone. Her heart broke for him and she nodded slowly, a slow sigh leaving her maw "Alright... I'll work on it. I promise" she said.
Purple= japanese
Bold= english
☽ Nosferatu ☾
226 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
 "After losing so much...even if you seek the company of others wouldn't it still be best to at least distance yourself slightly? Keep boundaries and separate yourself at least somewhat?"

Everyone has boundaries; there is much I don't share with anyone. You don't have to be open with everyone, but it's important you don't push the world away... for your own sake, He replied, finding that he sounded strangely like a therapist. But that was how he felt, so he stood by what he said.

With a sigh, she said, "Alright... I'll work on it. I promise." Corvus gave her a warm smile upon hearing that.

Good. It felt like a weight was lifted off of his chest. He was relieved that this heart-to-heart went as well as it did. I'll let you be at peace now, Corvus joked, rising to his feet. He was ready to leave truly, unless she wanted him to stay.

Romanian | English