Blacktail Deer Plateau This life is more than just a read through.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
All Welcome 
Set before the bear attack.

He would join Liri in their den soon to try and get some sleep, but first he needed to do his nightly patrol. He had been sleeping a little better since settling at the plateau, but he still had some nights where sleep evaded him no matter what tools he implemented to decrease his stress.

He walked along the border and stopped to lift his leg on a rock, a clear scent marker that claimed this territory as theirs. Once satisfied with his marking, he moved on, hugging the inside of the borders. As he walked, he occasionally scanned his surroundings, looking for danger or anything out of place. It was habit he always had, but he had become hyper-vigilant about it while they were traveling without a permanent home. Continuing his periodic watchful scans, The alpha maintained his slow march along the borders, glad for the cool night air that promised winter was approaching.

I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Perhaps he had meant to join her but the snow sylph had other ideas. 

It was not by coincidence that she sought her mate, for the pallid leader strode with purpose through the night's embrace, her head lowered as she followed the trail of his scent. The conifers swayed in the wind, creaking gently as autumn's cold sigh shook their branches and sent their dark needles cascading. They carpeted the ground - brown and dead where they fell - cushioning her uneven steps and permeating the air with the perfume of pine every time her weight pressed upon them. 

The healer came upon him, troubled as he patrolled their land's borders. Liri drew from the shadows, her tail wagging and her ears flattened as she approached, chuffing to alert him to her presence. 

As the ivory fae padded to her dark counterpart's side, her thoughts turned to the coywolf pup at home sleeping within their den. And then they turned to the other members of their mismatched group: Grezig, Elixir, Ruenna, even Issun, the newest recruit. Kavik worried about them all so, it only made her love him even more but she worried about him on nights like this. 

Liri rubbed her freckled crown against his shoulder as she fell into step beside him. Silently, she offered her companionship as they patrolled. 
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
The chuff was a welcome surprise, and he slowed his pace a little to allow for his mate to catch up to him, smiling at the comforting affection she offered as she came up beside him. He was always glad to spend time with her, but concern crossed his face as he glanced at her. Why are you up so late? he asked softly. Everything okay? He hoped his absence hadn't kept her awake, he would have happily joined her in their den even if was just to make sure she fell asleep easily. It wouldn't be the first time he had lied awake and listened to the soft breathing of her and Illidan as they slept; it was actually comforting to listen to the steady rhythm of their sleeping, and he often used it to help him fall asleep himself. 

He rubbed his inky coat on a tree near the border as they passed it. He was pretty sure he had marked every single tree that lined the borders at this point, and he would continue to do so.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"I couldn't sleep," came her soft reply. "I thought I'd join my husband for a midnight stroll," she smiled, tail swaying at her hocks as she rubbed her crown along his jaw playfully. She breathed in his dark scent, peace swirling through her warmly at the familiarity. 

"Kavik, you haven't been sleeping easily," she stated softly, suddenly as they walked - watching him rub against a tree.

"Are you alright?" She asked, concern wrinkling her brow.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Despite her playful affection, concern continued to paint his expression even as he leaned in to her head as it moved down his jaw. I love any time spent with you; I just hope I am not the reason you can't sleep, he replied. Obviously, he knew he wasn't at the center of all of her thoughts and decisions, but he couldn't help but worry that his absence from their den tonight may have made it difficult for her to sleep. 

His steps faltered at her question. Of course she noticed; he could try as hard as he wanted to keep his problems to himself, but he knew eventually his mate would see through his front. It's--nothing. Really, he said, avoiding her intuitive gaze. He couldn't hold out for long, though. It was easier to avoid the issue when they were busy with other things, but he couldn't avoid her direct question, nor did he really want to; he just didn't like to burden others with his anxieties. He moved his somewhat apologetic gaze back to meet her warm chocolate eyes. I'm just stressed about making sure everyone is safe, he admitted. It was less than when they were constantly moving, but it was still a worry that crossed his mind daily. He hoped it would soon get better; not that he would ever not be concerned with the pack's safety, just that he would maybe learn to deal with the stress in a healthier way.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"Other things steal my sleep," she murmured, eyes lowering. Her brow furrowed as images flickered in her mind's eye - a tiny corpse on a mountainside amidst a famine, the instinct to feed on what would have been her daughter enough to turn her stomach, even now. One of her greatest shames and a secret she shared with none. Her gaze returned to Kavik, troubled with memories of that dark time. He had not seen it, fortunately, where packs fell apart and wolf turned on wolf to survive. 

She shook her head slightly, as if to rid herself of the macabre thoughts. 

"Kavik," she muttered, moving to cut him off in his path. She knew he was troubled, more than he was letting on. "You can tell me. I'll understand," she whispered. 

"We are safe here," she tried to reassure him. Her own worries flirted through her mind. They were safe but would Illidan be if he did choose to leave? Would the winter be harsher than she expected, like the winter after the swarm? 

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He had come to a stop when she moved in front of him, and now he took a seat with a large sigh. We're never completely safe, though, he replied. And it was true; it was impossible for him to completely guarantee everyone's safety. As much as he tried to deter intruders from coming into the plateau, he couldn't control the actions of others, and a voice in the back of his mind always reminded him that anything could happen. He turned his head from Liri to scan the treeline out of habit before resting his worried gaze back on his mate's face. 

Something she had said before rose alarm bells somewhere in his mind just then, and he searched her face with concern in his expression. What did you mean before when you said other things steal your sleep, he asked. He knew she had plenty of horrible things in her past that might be keeping her from peaceful sleep, but she hadn't discussed it in a while. Here he was fretting over his own shit and leaving his mate to deal with her demons alone. He touched his inky head to her cheek, offering her comfort as he waited for her to speak.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She continued to study him, knowing it wasn't the full truth. Her brow crumpled with confusion. What was so bad that he couldn't tell her?

She shook her head, her gaze finding the treeline. If Kavik didn't have to be truthful about his demons, then why did she?

"I'm just worried about the coming winter," she murmured, the truth but not quite all of it. Her worries only reminded her of her last winter in Teekon, of the year she had truly lost everything. 

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik couldn't be sure, but something seemed off with her answer, and it confused him. Still, he would never push her to say more than she was comfortable with, so he just reached over with his nose to offer a comforting nuzzle to her cheek. The winter will be rough, but we'll get through it, he said softly, pulling back enough to meet her gaze. Our numbers have grown some, and I expect we'll pick up a few more stragglers as it starts to get colder, he added, smiling at her. And, the wolves who already call this place home are all capable and hard-working; they'll help us prepare as well, he stated, hoping to calm her worries a little. Talking to his mate always made him feel better, and he needed to try and remind himself of that in the future. He was trying really hard to change the way he dealt with his stress, but his deeply ingrained habits were sometimes hard to break, especially when his reluctance to share his worries with her was bred from a very hard-driving need to protect her.

He nuzzled her cheek again, both to comfort her and and sooth his own unease. He stood back up a second later and motioned for her to follow. He wasn't finished patrolling and wanted to make sure everything was in order. They were close to the river, so he made his way there next, stopping as his inky paws touched the water and dipping his head to take a drink. He lifted muzzle from the liquid and turned to his mate, offering her another smile, eyes sparkling with contentment. Even at his most anxious, he was always glad to have a place to call home and a mate to share it with.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Liri knew Kavik kept his troubles to himself, just as she knew he did it to protect her. She was a grown woman who had seen much hell in her young life; protecting was no longer something she required. Even as he spoke, she felt a simmering frustration beneath her breastbone. How could he reassure her when he was so plagued by his own stress?

"You never saw it," she murmured, haunted eyes lifting to his own. There was a glimmer of appreciation there, for that year was not one she would wish on anyone. "The locusts took every green thing in site and with the plants went the game. Wolf turned on wolf, eating each other just to survive. When the winter came it was harsh, full of blizzards. Pups froze in their dens against the bellies of starved mothers who had nothing to feed them," she whispered, shuddering. It had been hell.

"It's my first winter back in Teekon. I fear another winter like that one, but I pray to the spirits it will be mild," she said, her voice strained with hope. Kavik's reassuring words and touch led her to lean into him, wanting desperately to believe he was right. 

She was surprised when he pulled away but she followed on his heels, following him to the stream. Liri helped herself to a drink, returning his smile as she raised her head. 

Perhaps Kavik was right. Perhaps things would be easier this year, maybe she would never again experience a winter like that one.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He listened as she detailed the winter that was the source of her fears, surprise and concern crossing his face as he imagined the scene she detailed. It sounded terrible and like nothing he ever wanted to experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that, he offered softly. It seems we're starting the inter in a better place than what you described, so maybe we'll be better off. I can see why going through that would make you anxious about the winter, he added as she pressed into him. 

She followed him to the river after he had gotten up, and when he finished drinking and smiled to his mate, she gave a smile in return, water dripping from her snowy muzzle indicating that she had also taken a drink from the stream. She was incredibly beautiful, although Kavik suspected she didn't agree.

He strode back towards her and swept his dark head against her cheek before pulling back to rest his gaze on her face. I was going to patrol some more, but we can head home if you're tired, he offered, reaching down to kiss her forehead. She had soothed his anxiety enough that he could probably sleep now if that's what she wanted to do. Sure, they hadn't discussed his worries very much, but it felt good to get some of it off his chest, and being able to help her with her stuff helped take his mind off things. Walking through their territory with her at his side was helpful, too. He was very often alone on his patrols, and the alpha loved having his mate to patrol with.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She smiled, leaning into him. She planted a soft kiss on his lips, warmth pooling in her chest. Liri curled into his side, tail thumping softly as Kavik kissed her forehead in return. Even now, when their relationship had changed with all the pressures of leadership, she still could find peace in his embrace. 

"We could patrol some more if you'd like," she murmured as she rose to her feet, dipping her head. "It'll be romantic," her voice came again of its own accord, shy and beckoning. The healer turned away with a soft laugh, leading him into the forest should he agree. 

Wanna fade soon?

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Sounds good!

He smiled a little at her invitation and watched her walk towards the trees. Not wanting her to get too far, the alpha stood and quickly came to her side, staying close enough that their bodies touched as they walked. I would love nothing more, he said softly as they walked. With his mate next to him, it would be easier to keep the negative thoughts away. Her presence was soothing; he didn't know if it was because she was his mate or because she was a healer or maybe both, but he had always felt that way around her. Whatever it was, he was thankful that she was here with him now.
I'm no good without you