Broken Boulder and i haven't sold me
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
forward dated to tomorrow, terance left roughly 6 days ago. vague about terance's interaction with lyra and hydra.

the journey was... fine. terance felt tired, as he'd travelled a good distance while hunting only small game occasionally, but overall he'd encountered no true issues. he wasn't positive this was the right place, but based on drakonis' description... well, he could only hope this was the right place. 

standing on the boarders, weary for what was to come, he tilted his head back and called for his ex-beloved, @Seabreeze, as well as @Ibis and @Okeanos, who he prayed would show.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
He lingers near the borders even in his weakened state — maybe he's not the best person to answer the call, but he doesn't look that bad yet. It'll be fine, he's sure. So when he hears the unfamiliar howl, even clearly not for him, he sets off towards it without hesitation.
A dark male, large and scarred, stands on the borders. He's pretty hot, actually, but he doesn't look too pleased. Hello, He offers when he's near enough (but still at a slight distance, mindful of his sickness), trying not to sound as tired as he is. Welcome to the Bracken Sanctuary. I'm — Fuck. He breaks off with a brief cough. Ah, sorry. I have a — cold. I'm Alarian, the Governor. What's your business here? More specifically, why are you calling for Seabreeze?
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador

The child had mostly been keeping to herself since the migration to this new place, and hadn't even felt comfortable enough to sing. It had been a while since she'd spoken to anyone besides her brother; even her Mama, who she loved dearly, had been met with the silent treatment. Ibis was sad, and she didn't know why the hooks of ennui were so strong within her. She didn't know why she felt this way or how to stop it, and eventually fell in to a small mental pit. Maybe sad was just how she was going to be from now on — maybe this was the new normal, like how the Sanctuary was the new normal, and all these kids in her space was the new normal. Normal sucked.

But she began to go on small adventures too. When nobody was looking, if Okeanos was busy playing with another child or her mother was distracted, she'd wander off a little bit and commune with the flowers, or as the season progressed, she'd gather the fallen autumn leaves in to a pile and burrow in to them, as if to hide from all her worries. She had made a hefty pile just a few minutes ago, and was ready to pounce — her little butt raised and wiggling — when a familiar voice carried on the wind.

The sound of her daddy tugged at her heart strings — and in moments she'd forgotten all about the pile, and was scampering in pursuit of him. As she came upon the scene she spotted Alarian (who she only vaguely recognized as Mama's Friend), and then beyond him, DADDY! She hollered with her sharp little voice, and ploughed right in to him.

It was her first word in weeks.

guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
the man introduced himself, and terance bowed respectfully to his status. of course, he didn't know it, but terance was an outsider, and so all wolves of the sanctuary were to be met as such. before alarian had even commented on it, terance could smell the illness. of course, he had no idea how bad it was within the boarders of the sanctuary, but as deeply as he cared for seabreeze and his children... he worried a bit. 

"i'm terance, beta of sunspire, it's a pleasure, alarian," he said with another dip of his crown, "there was a shortage of food at our mountain, and seabreeze--" terance might've finished his sentence, had he not spotted ibis. he stayed put, not daring to cross over the borders, but a loud, longing whine escaped his maw as his daughter-- his beautiful daughter-- barreled towards him. 

"little bird!!" he exclaimed in return, accepting her forceful embraced with strong limbs. he fell to his haunches, rump in the air, accepting all the love ibis gave him and smothered her face and cheeks in kisses. "i missed you so much," he murmured, nuzzling her cheeks, "you've grown so big." for a moment, he forgot entirely about alarian.

SORRY couldn't help but post :L everyone can still jump in, but also good to keep the thread moving.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

PP permission from Okeanos.  I have the flu & have some other things going on so I'll respond when I can.  This is a priority thread for me. ♡

After the Governor's sister had died, the illness had seemed to lift from the Sanctuary.  Delight and Korei Julia were on the mend, and Seabreeze herself had been back to normal for a while.  Only Alarian's condition seemed to decline, as if when the sickness left Eris it had entered her brother, passed down like some terrible family heirloom.

But with most of her patients on the mend, it meant that Seabreeze had more time for her family.  She'd been leaving the children in the care of @Olive.  She hadn't quite been neglectful but the pressure of not letting anyone (else) die on her watch had been more pressing than trying to usher all of the children to get along, and Olive was always better at that stuff anyway.

She was close behind Ibis when the howl rose.  Sometimes, the little girl was as sneaky as she thought she was... other times, she was not.  Seabreeze had meant to spend some one-on-one time with her little bird, but it seemed as if fate (or the girl's father) had other plans.

Whatever self-realization Terance had been through while they'd been apart, Seabreeze had been no part of.  She still remembered how cold he had been to her when she'd been brave enough to think of their family first.  Her posture was clipped as she arrived with @Okeanos lingering somewhere behind, tail raised in an arbitrary show of dominance.  Whatever he thought of her newfound success, she would make sure he knew that here she had gotten recognition that had been missed at Sunspire.

She moved next to Alarian, sharpened seaglass eyes trained upon her beautiful daughter as she ran straight into the arms of her father.  Ibis hadn't spoken at all since they'd gotten here, and now?  Maybe Seabreeze was as much of a failure as everyone thought.  

Maybe she was just as terrible of a mother as she was a wife.
[Image: 70c0c50922211f79c19a9fbb2dbe797a.png]

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
It comes together quickly as the man introduces himself and starts to speak, and then one of Seabreeze's children goes flying past him, yelling for her father — ah, okay. He straightens slightly, relieved when Seabreeze herself appears a moment later, other child in tow. He swallows back another cough, glancing to her and noting her posture. It's confusing, but he doesn't question her — maybe that's how things are at Sunspire.
Nice to meet you, Terance, He says — it's not really that nice, but that's what he's probably supposed to say. He feels more awkward than anything now, but he's certain there's some kind of friendship growing between himself and Seabreeze, so he's not about to leave unless she asks. But he doesn't say anything else; he only glances again to Seabreeze, half waiting for her to send him off — dude doesn't seem so bad, but of course, he's been wrong plenty before.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador

She basked in his attention and his affections as long as she could, listening to the strength of his voice and finding immense comfort in that; the words themselves registered but Ibis didn't really care what her father was saying, she was just so pleased to see him—he was here with her! It was a good moment.

The moment didn't last, though.

Ibis has burrowed her face in to the plush fur of his chest, the highest point she could reach, and her tail was batting a mile a minute. Her mind was buzzing too, filled with questions gone unspoken. Typical to the little girl, once she'd latched on to an idea she couldn't let it go — and now she was talking again.

I miss you too! I'm big, Okee is big, we can go home now! She drew back from his fluff and his warmth and his musky smell, that smell she had missed and hadn't known she had missed, and Ibis beamed a grin up at her father as if all the troubles of their move were already  behind them. You—You taking us home, right? You here, an' we... We go home? Except, the more she spoke the words and the more she thought about it, that didn't make sense. They'd been here in this Other Place with these Other Children for a while now, by a child's standard.

As Ibis glanced from her father to Alarian, she caught sight of her mother approaching. Seabreeze stopped short and the expression on her face said everything—Ibis knew, then, that she was wrong to hope. Her eyes flit between her two parents over and over, and then a little frown developed on her face. Looking to the ground now, staring at the dirt beneath her feet, she sullenly commented—No. You... You won't bring us home. When she looked up her eyes were brimming with tears and they were leveled at Terance. Where did you go, Daddy?

Poor Ibis didn't realize it wasn't Terance that left, but the other way around.

guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
every word that ibis spoke pierced daggers into terance's heart. deeper and deeper they tore through flesh, until it went clean through him. he embraced her tightly, forelimbs wrapping around as she burried herself into his scarred chest. he wanted to sob-- all terance ever did was cry anyhow-- but at the sight of seabreeze, his expression, pained, sobered up. ibis pulled apart, looking at seabreeze and alarian, then looked back at him. she accused him, finally, of leaving. where did you go, daddy?

perhaps those were the magic words-- terance, for a moment, felt suffocated, like his lungs couldn't bare to take in any more air. when he caught himself, he released a shakey breath. "i never left you, ibis, i would never leave you," he told her softly, peering down at his sweet bird with a sad, forest gaze. it was your mother, who stole you away from me, your mother who tore this family apart for sake of her own well being. but terance did not say this, not in front of her now. "i am here now--" he looked up to seabreeze, trying hard not to accuse her of feeding their children lies. he left them? what had she told them? what did they think of him? "your mother took you here to keep you safe, there was a famine," he told her, but his gaze only flickered to ibis, looking back up to seabreeze again, "she kept you safe, but sunspire is moving, you would be safe in our new home."

he looked back down to his daughter, kissing her forehead. he spoke sweetly, and to his daughter, but he knew seabreeze was listening. she'd have the final say, she always had. she was just as cruel and selfish as the cerberus had been to him. he'd given all his love, all his loyalty, and they'd only stolen from him his sanity and healthy well-being. "you can come with me-- if your mother permits it. you are old enough now to travel with me." he waited for ibis' response, then looked up to his mate. ex, mate. "you all could..." he added, rather suddenly, ears flicking back.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

She does not miss the accusatory gleam in Terance's verdant gaze, but she does not meet it with anything but the same stoic stare.  She'd explained to the children what had happened... or she thought she had, anyway.  There had been so many patients for some time that she'd been unable to spend as much time with the children, but she had trusted Olive to keep their father's memory intact.  And maybe she had!  But she'd be sure to ask later, because she had no clue where any of this was coming from.

I do not think it is wise for us all to go back.  I have duties here that I cannot abandon.  Surely, you understand that.  It had been his poor excuse not to come with his family, hadn't it?  I do not think we would all be welcome, anyhow.  She wouldn't, she knew.  She felt like she'd been barely tolerated before this.  And Olive and her children? 

The truth was.. Seabreeze didn't have anything waiting for her back at Sunspire.  She knew that whatever was between herself and Terance now likely couldn't be repaired.  She'd found a support system in Olive, and she'd promised Delight she wouldn't leave him again.  She had been recognized here as useful.  Sunspire and its residents would just resent her.

But if our children want to go with you...  She looked at Ibis tenderly, wishing she'd turn back to her mother and the rest of her family, but she knew she had no such control.  I will not stop them.

Okeanos made no move to leave, thank the heavens.  If it were to be anyone, it would be her little singstar.  Baby girl, you can stay here with mama and Oke and Olive and her babies, or you can go back with Daddy.  Whatever you choose, we both love you so much.  There is no wrong answer.

ibis has permission to pp oke & enter any of oke's threads
156 Posts
Ooc — remus
wanted to get a post in here! but please skip me & feel free to keep pping me stray<3

papa being here should make him happy -- oh he wants to look upon papa's face with joy! but there is some weird tension in the air he does not understand, and mama and papa don't look happy, neither of them. and then they're talking about ibis maybe leaving and a startled whine escapes him, scooting out from mama's leg to squeeze himself next to ibby, as if he might keep her from leaving through sheer force. "ibby stay!" okeanos wails, "an -- an' mama and papa don't have mean words!"

that they have not said anything 'mean' is not his point -- he has been on the recieving end of judgemental hostility at this point, he can tell there is something going on. and it feels MEAN. "growns-ups gotta have a good example of bein' nice," the soot sprite adds, sniffly, "an' ibby's gotta stay with oke an' mama, and papa should stay too!" it's such a simple solution!!! and then no one will fight or be hostile or be mean to him for reasons he doesn't understand, easy peasy.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Sorryyyy

I never left you, Ibis. Daddy said, but Ibis was still too emotional to understand. He kept talking and talking and she couldn't stop crying, not until Okeanos came up beside her and began to shower her with affection.

The only constant in her whole little life was her brother at this point. That didn't mean she didn't love her mummy, she did, but — the other kids were so mean here. And now, faced with daddy and his lies and mommy and all this pressure that she couldn't understand, everything seemed much too big and ——

I not going!!! I not going an' daddy — Okee — !!! Everything sort of erupted out of her nonsensically, but she was still so young and couldn't fathom much of this meeting let alone how she was feeling or what was an appropriate response. But Okeanos was telling her it was okay, and gradually her nonsense and her crying tempered.

Okeanos said something about daddy staying, and that made her pause but she couldn't even look at him. She couldn't trust that it was the truth. All she knew was that home stopped being home, and now everything was different and everyone was mean. The poor girl had no more words but she was shaking her head and burrowing against her brother, which was answer enough.

guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
"i understand, seabreeze," he said as gently as he could, green gaze finding hers. how dare she use his words against him, like he had ever had a real choice. "you were never unwelcome, seabreeze," he told her. you imagined it, you sensitive, selfish slyph. terance couldn't understand how she never understood that. how could she be so self-absorbed that she think the whole pack hated her? wished her to leave? but terance didn't argue, he merely stated.

he then looked to ibis as seabreeze addressed her, unsure what to expected. "i will always visit the sanctuary-- even if you stay," he told her, gaze softening. 

but then, his son, his golden son, spoke against him. terance and seabreeze hadn't said anything mean, there were no harsh words thrown between the two. the air was uncomfortable, as it should've been between a man and his ex-wife-- who had taken both of their children. terance was hurt, somehow even deeper by this comment. that he should stay. maybe it was only because now ibis had burst into tears, leaving terance to believe that both of the children only thought him a monster. he'd done nothing wrong. terance had only ever tried. he wished he'd tried harder.

ears splayed, voice cracking, terance said, "then stay, little bird, stay with your mother." he stepped carefully towards his children, hoping to embrace them again-- if they would let him. at this point, terance wasn't sure they wanted to be near him-- not if they so fiercely defended their mother. "i love you both, i always will. i will return to see you soon."
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

You were never unwelcome, Seabreeze.

Then why had nobody come to visit?  Wraen left food for the children and Hyacinth had kept her company after her illness, but as soon as she'd healed up everyone had left.  Nobody talked to her about her pregnancy, nobody recognized the efforts she'd made — fighting and taking scars for Sunspire, setting up pack relations.  Nobody came to give their condolences to sweet Olive and her innocent child after his death — no, Sunspire carried on as if nothing had happened.

If she herself had never been unwelcome, then Olive had.  And she knew that Terance would do the same had roles been reversed and it was Rannoch's brood that had been killed.

Seabreeze love burned bright, but her frost was perhaps even more encompassing.  He should stay.  He should have come with his family.  And if he couldn't see that, he was goddamn fooling himself. 

But oh, Oke was right.  She hadn't thought there were mean words but children were empathetic.  They knew.  You do not have to leave right away, Terance.  You're more than welcome to spend some time here.

ibis has permission to pp oke & enter any of oke's threads
156 Posts
Ooc — remus

of course he is too small to understand how his words might, in fact, be hurtful themselves -- all he knows is the situation is strange and wrong. papa's i love you sounds like another goodbye, only oke just had the perfect idea, so why is everyone still tense and sad? with a whine he winds himself around his dandelion-puff sister, looking between mama and papa with solemn green eyes. 

"stay, papa," he echoes himself and mama, "oke love papa!"
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador

It happens quickly. Okeanos pleading for their father to stay, and then Ibis—puny and hurting and overly emotional child Ibis—pushing off of her brother. Her physical separation from him could've been a sign for something deeper, a separation from the concept that he blithely uttered. She doesn't know what she wants but the look of frustration on her face is one clue; and then she is peeling away from Okeanos, racing for her mother, where she collapses by her feet and hides as if the man standing nearby—who previously had so much goodness and cheer from the girl—was suddenly a villain. 

Ibis cries, Daddee leaving, and she lifts her head to shoot blurry daggers from between the protective hurdles of her mother's limbs. Ibis couldn't figure out how she felt about the whole situation and was enveloped by her many emotions; she was a raging storm trapped in a tiny body, and soon enough crying took too much energy, and she fell quiet again.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
too many things happened. when moments ago ibis was almost ready to come home with him, she was now glaring at him as if it was him that was the bad guy-- as if it was him who had left-- him who had torn their once precious family apart. his jaws parted slightly as he held the horrible gaze that his daughter shot at him. his vision blurred at tears stung at the corners of his eyes, and he blinked rapidly, head falling to his chest as he attempted to compose himself. 

he took a few shallow breathes, and within a few heartbeats he was staring back at seabreeze. his throat burned. it was so tight and hot that he could hardly find a voice within him to speak to her again. this was her fault, she had done this. if only his daughter hadn't turned his poor heart to stone, terance might have asked to stay the night.

"i don't think it's a good idea," he replied quietly, raspy, through the dryness that plagued his throat. he looked to seabreeze, feeling so broken he couldn't even keep his ears up-- they pressed to his skull. even as ibis began to grow tired of her own tantrum, terance knew it would hurt too much to stay, even if she had calmed.

his gaze fell quickly through each of his family, and taking a final rest on seabreeze. "i'll be back in a moon, i love you all," he said gently, beginning to turn to go, his paws feeling both like lead weights and water. 

"i'm sorry," he added, pausing before he would take his leave, gaze resting on the ground before him, "that i couldn't be enough for you." he'd wanted to stay and talk to seabreeze separately. he wanted to apologize for how he handled her leave-- among other things-- but this was too much for him. he didn't want to stay anymore. he wanted to go back home.