Grouse Thicket and on the trees' rough husks
Sapphique
Sandstone
hold the dark
155 Posts
Ooc — Van
All Welcome 
Though not particularly interested in the things he didn't know, there were (and always would be) occasions upon which Svalinn would be driven from his small bed of knowledge, and lured to venture through an infinity of grasses, woods, and waters far beyond his imagining capabilities. Having recently become overly comfortable with the borders of his home, the rangy gold Eyjolfur was on such a venture now -- not so far from where the plateau and the scent of Redhawks began -- and became thoroughly distracted by the edge of a woodland thicker than a bowl of oatmeal he'd ever seen before; though that wasn't saying much.

Keeping to the treeline under a frore, hazy sky, nose vacuuming up a plethora of new and exciting scents, young Svalinn scoured the perimeter of the thicket for something interesting to unearth.

a determination so powerful it could turn the sky storm black
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She hadn't visited the Thicket since that beautiful, handsome stranger had taken her on a trip (in more ways than one).  But old habits die hard, and she liked having a place that was just her own.  Even if sometimes the other Redhawks showed up here, she felt that this was kind of like her place where the Roost was kind of like Towhee's.  It was just understood.  

So she'd headed out and expected to be on her own.

Except.  Today, there was that child she still didn't know the name of.  And usually she doesn't have a problem with kids.  She might not be the best with them, but she doesn't hate them.  She doesn't hate him either.

He just reminds her of that day.  

But it isn't his fault.  She realizes she's been staring.  Luckily he's a kid, and his nose was so deep in the dirt he might not have noticed.  Um, hey, she calls, clearing her throat, what're you doing?  Please stay away from the apples.

ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in
Sapphique
Sandstone
hold the dark
155 Posts
Ooc — Van
At the sound of another's voice, Svalinn froze at attention, alarmed at first until he realized that she was a familiar face. He relaxed instantly, galumphing over so that he might stand and present himself to her with proud, naked interest. His tongue lolled, and he seemed too over-stimulated to care about the fact he didn't know her name either, or that she might be here to return him home.

At her question, he paused, the cogs noticeably turning inside his pea-head as he decided how to answer; a beat later, he seemed to settled on something impish, as indicated by an expression that had suddenly turned very sly. "I dunno," he said instead of answering, and returned with intentional childishness: "what're you doing?"
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

His attitude reminded her of Tuathal and herself when they were younger.  She snorted and grinned, eyes narrowing slightly.  I dunno.  It's a lovely day, figured I'd go for a walk.  But walks are boring.  Surely to a kid his age, anyway.  What fun's a walk if you're not getting into any trouble?

What are you doing out here?

Sapphique
Sandstone
hold the dark
155 Posts
Ooc — Van
"Walks are boring," Svalinn agreed, quite gravely, finding an instant rapport with his flame-lit packmate and falling easily into a relationship of trust as children tend to do. Caiaphas had instilled in him a prevailing thought to be wiser than this, but there was no better teacher than experience, most would say. It would take  facing some tough losses before he stopped hording in others as he saw fit. And as far as he was presently concerned, this one -- both protector and taker-of-jokes -- deserved to be in his squad. Therefore, he'd answer her questions.

"I was jus' lookin' for something I can beat up. Ma says the younger cubs are off limits, so I gotta find new 'ponents - but it's kinda hard to look when I gotta patrol'n stuff too." He wasn't typically much of a talker, but he felt like he could vent to her.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

The more time she spends with him the better she feels about him.  He has grown so much he barely resembles the child she'd saved anyway.  She laughs at his agreeable nature, then raises a brow after a moment of thought.

Well, you're right.  It is hard to divide your time between patrolling and fighting.  But I do both, y'know?  You can do rounds with me.  And if you need someone to teach you how to fight, I can help.

She attempts to playfully bat a paw against him.  Not sure if you can beat me up, though.

Sapphique
Sandstone
hold the dark
155 Posts
Ooc — Van
Svalinn appeared somewhat skeptic of the firebrand's claim, but if he doubted her abilities at all, then it was quickly forgotten in the playful swipe she made at him. Reflexively, he made a toothy grab for her paw, but the move - without any actual intent behind it - was half-hearted and benign in nature, as expressed by the grin he flashed her afterwards. "yeah - i can't beat you up yet. just wait 'til i'm big - and oh, i'm gonna be big. just look at my paws," he insisted while trying to slap her (as inoffensively as a slap can be, of course) with aforementioned broad-feet.

and though he did have almost absurdly large paws, he had no idea why they indicated he would be a big fella, just that they did. it was something caiaphas, who was eager to see her grandson be a titan among wolves, had mentioned in passing. and svalinn was just the parrot.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Sorry for the wait and quality oof

She got why people liked kids now.  At least, when they were behaving like this.  Her eyes flicker to his paws — well, damn, they were big — and then back to his eyes.  She laughs, falling a little drastically at his shove.

I can tell, she says, so do you wanna spar or what?

Sapphique
Sandstone
hold the dark
155 Posts
Ooc — Van
i am fail + will fade here for both our sakes lmao ;-; i hope they get to meet again one day and have a proper time <3

In a very short amount of time, Svalinn became thoroughly warmed to Fire's presence - an event he might later attribute to her own given moniker, whenever he happened to learn it. Her willingness to engage certainly tripled what was already a decent compatibility, and within moments of meeting one on one, they were tussling. "Or what!" he crowed in answer, writhing with the fiery she-wolf in the autumn fronds. She bested him, albeit playfully, and then made a mad dash for the plateau, leaving the aurelian boy to laughingly give chase.

They roughhoused and they raced, yapping at one another all the way home.