Sequoia Coast i'm not like them, but i can pretend.
THE REGULATOR'S SWINGING PENDULUM
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
All Welcome 
there was a rough slap of ocean on a grey strand; rannveig watched the white froth as it sucked back sand, shells, foam and all. christ, it was cold.

it wasn't that he missed warsaw; he didn't. but he missed the comforts that came with it. he was used to a certain treatment that nature simply wasn't measuring up to: here he had to scratch and claw for a living, same as anyone else.

oh well. he shrugged and took a deep breath of bitingly cold air.

it was a dog's life.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
where rannveig was focused on what the land could do for his body, velen was focused on what he could glean from the new place. ford had led them here, and velen was happy enough to defer to his fierce brother. there was little need for quarrelling, not when their goals were the same. therefore, the mayfair-cairn expended no energy in squabbling with his siblings.
a spar, however, was a different idea. along the beach velen stalked, chestnut eyes fixed on the pensive form of rannveig further along the strand. out here, he was visible, and aware of this, sought to flatten his large build as much as possible. catlike, he closed the gap, and then with a wild cry, flung himself toward his littermate, broad paws churning sand and gaze burning with a mischevious intent to shove rann into the foamcaps, since he seemed so obsessed anyway.
[Image: tumblr_nbvmjgI5Eb1txly86o1_500.gif]
settling their restless wings
384 Posts
Ooc —
no idea when this should take place in regards to my thread w ford. -vague-

the pads of her feet were not used to traveling such distances. delicate feet grew tired and sore, and it was times like this that dalia desperately wished she hadn't left the safety of drageda. portia would've had the remedy-- out here, in the wild, dalia would've had to search for it... and she was not positive she could find herbs as easily as she could when they grew in gardens outside her den. 

the sand helped, sometimes, but the ocean water especially was nice. it was cool and soothing, and so dalia walked along the shoreline and let the water lap at her pale paws. up ahead, the freckled yearling spotted two boys, watching as one made to... sprint full speed ahead towards the other one. dalia slowed, her tail still and ears cupped forwards as she watched the tragedy unfold before her... assuming she'd go unnoticed in the waves.
trigedasleng will be in blue.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren

he had been so preoccupied by the churlish rise of the sea that he had not known he had company. not even the wind played in his favor that day - it flitted every which way but the way in which his silent stalker invaded. thus, rannveig was unaware of his fate until its teeth came down upon him.

he yelped, more out of surprise than pain - a blur of reddened brown filled his periphery as his world suddenly rotated in a blurring kaleidoscope - in mere seconds rannveig was curled and pulled under the tide. as the splash of cold water overcame him he recognized his attacker and instead, dove deep into the bracing sea.

when he emerged he was shocked breathless by the frigid lap of the ocean's tongue and padded to shore to seek refuge from the sea's unwelcome touch. it was then he spotted a she-wolf savoring the waves -- he froze, sopping and surprised -- but that did not stop the grin that fluttered across his muzzle.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
critical hit — velen gave a gruff whoop as rannveig disappeared beneath the icy brine. the sea had reared them, molded them in early puphood; he had no qualms that his brother would not reemerge. and so rann did, wearing a quirked, daffy smile on his handsome features. "i thought it's what you'd want," velen chirped matter-of-factly, sauntering along the sand to gently hip-check rannveig in a cairn show of affection.
the girl along the strand did not go unnoticed; she was the next thing to seize the boy's scrutinizing chesnut gaze. at a quick pace he set off, tail curled importantly over his haunches; when velen was within the speckled she-wolf's range of senses, he gave a low chuff, seeking to trace the scent along her withers if he was not otherwise rebuffed.
384 Posts
Ooc —
though dalia doubted this was a case of malice, she watched with concern as the dark wolf was butted into the waves. of course, her concern washed away with the tide, noting their playful expressions and the attackers quip, and so her posture relaxed again. 

by now, her presence was well known, which she didn't mind. both wolves turned to face her, the dark male, sopping wet, housing a... friendly... dalia decided, grin. her own lips turned up gently at their attention, but she did slow a bit as they approached her. she allowed his inspection with a soft growl of warning, hardly threatening from such a dainty wolf, but it held the same meaning. and so she did the same, immediately recognizing the sceent of ford.

"you're traveling with ford," she said, stepping back to view both males curiously. did this mean these males were his family?
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
he was still staring mesmerized by the she-wolf when the slap of velen’s firm hip rocked him. he fumbled in the water, an ear pulled back in a yo play it cool gesture — a futile signal for an absent receiver, for velen had already stalked past him towards the fine boned creature. 

rannveig pulled himself from the surf with a rough shake, bounding up in time to hear the woman’s quiet growl and — what was that about ford?

he conveyed his surprise by a slackjawed half-grin, whilst his tail wagged and whipped water from its berth. ”you know him? can’t say the pleasure’s all yours, right?” rannveig delivered a rather cheeky grin, feeling playful: ”we’re his smarter, —“ here he gestured to the dark male besides him —”and better-looking brothers respectively.”

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"he's totally right, you know," velen confirmed, ear flicking backward at the dotty girl's warning growl. ""velen, the wise, and rannveig, the sexy." truly, however, all the mayfair-cairn children had been blessed with a certain feral charisma — he knew how the ladies looked at ford. it was no wonder she was here. 
keeping his perhaps-offensive thoughts to himself, the boy glanced toward the sea and licked salt from his jaws. "you up for a hunt?" he inquired, glancing between the two of them. what better way to bond with a potential packmate than by almost drowning? that was the cairn way, after all. 
the mayfair way was to build a flower castle on the beach together, and while velen was totally here for that, one, there were no flowers, and secondly, that was a weird thing to ask someone you'd just met.
384 Posts
Ooc —
dalia was shocked to hear wolves talk about themselves as they did. never would she give herself such an adjective before her name, and it showed in the prick of her ears and the raise of her brows. they seemed so playful and casual-- dalia tried to keep up, but she couldn't think of anything to call herself. so, instead, she said, "you both seem so sure." it felt mean, but that seemed to be how they rolled-- just off the brief interaction she'd had with them thus far. dalia was not so sharp tongued.

"dalia-- it seems we'll be seeing a lot of each other, then," she added, her chin tipping up gently. and then, at the offer of a hunt, her tail swayed. dalia would've preferred a flower castle... but, unaware it was an option, she nodded to the hunt. dalia was a strong swimmer, after all. "i'm down," she said with a grin.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
flawless, thought rannveig with a barely concealed grin, as velen effortlessly picked up his tongue-in-cheek remarks. the little she-wolf seemed surprised -- no, astounded -- to have two such winsome wolves before her. rannveig was used to a certain awe, but all the same couldn't help the tickled expression that playfully brightened his muzzle.

velen's suggestion for a hunt was met favorably; rannveig could always eat. as he made to prowl off along the beach, he mused after the she-wolf's introduction. "da0lia - that's pretty." he considered the name, the woman, and her title for a moment before blurting. "dalia, since i'm the sexy one and he's the smart one, you can be the glamorous one. unless you'd like to be the stunning one, but i think lilia would contest."

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
building a flower castle = out. murdering some innocent creature = in. and that was what he intended to do. dalia was a pretty name, fitting the little looker who had agreed to hunt with the brothers. "dalia, the glamorous. lilia, the stunning, and morrigan the fierce." he tipped dalia a sly wink, tongue lolling. "lilia and morrigan are our sisters. they're okay, i guess. clearly not as amazing as we are."
the huffing grunt of a bull fur seal farther along the coastline caught velen's interest, and he focused his trajectory toward that area of the beach. along a sandbar a small swim away, the wounded mammal bellowed defiantly at the trio of wolves gathered at the edge of the brisk waters.
"he's bleeding pretty bad. maybe a shark?" the boy mused, turning a somber gaze to rannveig, and a warmer glance to dalia. "big dude. but i guess we could try and take him." life was not worth living if the risk of death did not hang over eveyr opportunity for adventure.
384 Posts
Ooc —
immediately, dalia was flustered by their suggestions. flawless? gorgeous? stunning?? oh dalia was none of those things-- and never would she call herself that. "i.. i don't know about that," she returned to rannveig and velen as they both ogled at her, feeling increasingly embarrassed to receive such attention, "i am the kind one." that sounded lame, but she'd already said it. it made her wonder though-- did these wolves truly see her as those things? 

but there was suddenly an injured seal to draw the attention away from her, and dalia was dragged from her inner shock and thoughts with relief. hunting was much easier than having a discussion about... whatever that was. she wondered about lilia and morrigan, all the same. lilia sounded like something her mother might've named a daughter. 

"i can handle it," she told them both, suddenly feeling the need to prove herself. these were ford's brothers, after all, and ford was going to lead her. she needed to make a good impression on all these wolves.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
oops; rannveig had forgot to mention who lilia was -- thank god for the smart one, who stepped in with a studied ease, and explained to their bemused audience who lilia and morrigan were.

rannveig was always the type to miss those details; he did not focus on minutia. his eye was trained on the big picture, the present, the immediate -- and in some ways, rannveig's only-looking-forward outlook was beneficial.. yet in many ways, it always came back to bite at his heels like the irascible form of an angered chihuahua.

velen had noticed something upshore; rannveig dragged his heels and casually rolled towards it, recognizing the tubular form of a bull seal resting on a shallow bar. he studied it a moment - it was injured, and angry -- he might have sat back and thought of some sort of tactic to wear it out, but dalia rallied besides them and seemed eager to prove her mettle.

rannveig liked that in a girl; he flashed her an approving grin, and then slunk off into the saltwater. "i'm a good swimmer. i'll try to drive it to shore -- velen, don't try anything on the glamorous-slash-kind one while i'm gone. dalia, stay away from velen and his mouth - he's had nothing but carrion to eat for weeks." in smooth strides that belied his slouching figure rannveig had already sliced through the water, and was soon entirely afloat as he paddled wide towards the raised bar.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the boy wanted to tell dalia she could be both dalia the glamorous and dalia the kind, but ahead of them rannveig was assuming the lead and velen was content to let him have it. "must be nice to be right all the time," he remarked with fake indignation to dalia. "he's absolutely correct, however," velen went on, flashing his teeth at the girl in a halfway feral smirk. "i'm fucking starving."
letting his gaze linger on her until he could take himself seriously no longer, and broke into a flurry of chuckling, the tall dredge slid into the water after his brother. he did not move into the darker expanse, however, wanting to be ready when the bull seal was antagonized by the indomitable rannveig.
for the moment, humour was set aside; his chestnut eyes were fixed upon the scene before him, muscles readied to take move into a powerful swim, should the efforts sour in favour of their chosen prey.
384 Posts
Ooc —
shocked that someone had warned her of such a thing, dalia asked with concern, "why would i go near his mouth?" but the moment was short-lived, and soon she was tailing after velen into the dark waters with a more serious expression, standing a little ways behind her as he was much larger and could stand in deeper waters. dalia would be quite uncomfortable to stand in the deeper waters. but nonetheless, she was ready, ears forward and muscles tensed.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
in effortless strides rannveig slipped into the water, leaving his brother and the flustered she wolf behind. the quip velen uttered was answered only in a snigger which bubbled at the brine and rose around his nearly submerged head in buoyed leaps. 

the creature was aware of his presence. rannveig drifted along the current, slow in his approach. as soon as his long limbs scraped sandy ground he withdrew from visibility, diving under the roar of the surf in a short lived sprint. 

he emerged several feet later, much closer to the bull and already in a flat gallop. his headlong approach was made to drive the beast along the sandbar, closer to shore so either velen or dalia could impede its progress and thereby eventually fell it.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the brothers had hunted together before, developing a fraternal sense of how to kill that accompanied the natural inclination of their kind to work alongside one another. the dark wolf in the sea's embrace moved carefully; he was gone from view shortly thereafter.
velen's gaze narrowed as rannveig reappeared, flattening into a straight run, and his own legs began to churn in the water. powerful strokes carried him toward the edge of the sandbar in preparation. he trusted dalia would follow suit; his focus was upon his brother. a well-placed blow, and the bull could snap a wolf's limb. he would not allow it today.
384 Posts
Ooc —
WHOOPS didn't realize it was my turn sorry <3

and dalia did follow suit. her swimming was not nearly as strong as his, simply because of her size and lack of muscle, but she was capable all the same, and kept up the best she could. her own, seafoam gaze held the dark rannveig as well, ears alert, flicking only when water was splashed their way. 

she did her best to keep her nerves down, knowing just as well as everyone here how dangerous the bull could be. but she would make a good impression on these wolves today, nothing would go wrong while she was here.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
he was only several feet onto the shore when the bull turned ponderously around to face him, its rolling form and fat rippling with each press of its fins. rannveig did not slow - the bull bellowed as rannveig’s limbs gathered and poorly, he managed to unceremoniously leap aside as the bull struck. 

velen and dalia had circled around the flat; with a glance in their direction rannveig attempted to field off the bull’s retreat seaward. the bull must have sensed its imminent demise, for it started thundering towards the swashline oblivious to the heckling snaps of rannveig’s desperate jaws.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
velen was there now; water streamed from the dredge's flanks as he swung his own heavy jaws toward the nape of the bull. it bellowed as blood blossomed on its corpulent neck. the boy struck again, trusting rannveig to stay close. the sea must not claim their prey again; velen was unsure they would be able to draw it from the waters a second time. dalia was close behind, the yearling was sure: he refocused on bloodying the creature, hoping to weaken it before the faster girl could dart in to deliver slashes of her own.
384 Posts
Ooc —
oh but dalia was not fast. lithe, perhaps, but certainly not quick. but she did her best, and she did what was needed of her.

when velen struck, dalia was a pace or two behind him. her own fangs found pursuit around the other side of the bull, a low growl echoing in her throat as blood pooled in her own jaws. together, they weakened it slowly, though dalia still hoped they would be enough to take it down entirely. she snapped at it still alongside belen and rannveig.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
the bull floundered on, oblivious to the wolf (and subsequently, the teeth) that sat astride it, attempting to weigh it down. boarishly the bull swung his thick head this way and that, and in the process its massive skull bludgeoned rannveig and threw him aside with all the ease of a child flinging a doll in a tantrum.

rannveig landed in the sand, skittering to a stop as the paws of his friends thundered past; they worried and snapped at the bull as it continued its path seaward. two was enough to slow down his progress, but not halt it -- dazed, rannveig lurched to his feet and gave chase.

he flung himself this time right on the bull's wriggling back, and for a moment rode through the bucking motion rather shakily. then, in a fit of desperation that would have earned his father's (and maybe ford's) contempt, rannveig sunk his teeth into the base of the bull's skull, attempting to sever what flesh he could and cause enough pain to force the bull to fight rather than flee.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
quite pleased by dalia's quick step, the flash of her white fangs, velen echoed the girl's growl with a snarl of his own. renewed by their combined efforts and by the tang of blood in the air, the mayfair-cairn circled in again like a shark. using his large bulk, the boy followed his brother's lead and struck into the thick blubber of the animal's neck. 
first crimson, then second; rivulets began to run along the bull's flesh. velen held fast despite the writhing of their quarry, and soon more began to give way beneath his teeth, his paws scratching against the earth as he sought to set his stance and hold the creature in place.
384 Posts
Ooc —
o shoot it's my turn

the pearl held fast, even as waved swirled around them. velen's growls echoed her own, but they were fiercer than her soft chords. dalia was not born to snarl, but she could do it all the same. it simply didn't hold the same effect. 

she snapped again as the bull began to turn towards rannveig, now, since he had forced his teeth into it's skull. again and again she snapped, making purchase as often as she could, blood coating her jowls and chest, ocean water counteracting it, washing it off as soon as it dripped onto her pale coat.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
the trio had been dragged into shallow water as the beast bounded for sea; velen and dalia worried its body, rannveig heroically straddled its back -- he probably looked badass up there, right until he was thrown into the air with all the ceremony of someone disgustingly snapping a bug from their hand.

he was cartwheeled through the air and in that time he saw dalia's bloodied-then-unbloodied pelt (that's hot, he thought), velen's gnashing teeth and feral gaze -- then he saw the swirl of water and the sudden rush as the earth came careening towards him --

{THUNK}

the sea roared around him, closed in on his face and ears and body - he had landed in a heap in the shadows, leaving an indentation in the sand beneath the frothy water. he rose with a shake and a stupid grin, totterinhg as if drunk after the thundering beast. behind the splatter of sea a welt of crimson rose in the tide-water -- rannveig trotted after the blood's wake and with one last effort threw himself into the bull's flank with teeth seeking fat.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.