Heron Lake Plateau Running again
Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Having decided that it was going to be a short Fall and long Winter- simply based on the fact that Winter had felt long the last time, and that she'd hated it- Niamh had decided for sure that she wasn't going to sleep above ground for the whole damn thing. The others could deal with it, and Niamh would eventually grow in a thick coat- but it wasn't good enough. She wanted to have a nice cozy den, with fluff and feathers and all the comforts she could possibly afford for herself and Colt and, hopefully, extra company in the Spring...She might've been thinking too far ahead, but she was a glass half full kind of wolf these days. 

She'd roamed around the claimed packlands for a while before settling on an area near the centre, where she deemed it to be the safest; giving enough space to the Blackthorns and to Quixote and Raven as well, as the latter couple would likely have pups again in the Spring. As for the Blackthorns...Could they even still have pups? She wasn't sure. Of course, she was also unaware that Colt was actually the same age as Finley. Bright as she was in some areas of life, Niamh was shit at telling the age of others from time to time. Her mind wanted her to believe that Colt was the same age as her, if not maybe a year older, so she believed that as fact. 

She found a small knoll, and decided to dig the den into the side of that, between two bushes that would act nicely as hedges, you know, just to keep curious neighbours at bay. The ground was tough, and she regretted not starting to dig the den earlier before the ground began to freeze at all, but she had a strong will, and would do this come Hell or high water. She'd dug the den out enough that her haunches were sheltered from the mid day sun by the time she decided to take a break, backing out of the very narrow entrance and then backing into it, so that she could lay in the entrance, half in and half out of her den which was nowhere near completion. Content to rest her forelegs a bit, and simply scan out over her new front yard, she rested her head on her forepaws and heaved a happy sigh.
a determination so powerful it could turn the sky storm black
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena
She didn't expect Niamh to have a new den, but when she thinks about what time of year it is and what is to come, it shouldn't be a surprise.  She hasn't spoken to the golden girl since she'd interrupted Ceara and Bruges, but she had been doing a lot of thinking about Colt and what Ceara wanted for his happiness.

Breeding season is on the horizon.  As much as she doesn't want to notice the changing of the season, the dropping temperatures of autumn make it hard.  She still doesn't like Niamh.  She doesn't know if she ever will.  But for Colt's sake, she has to try to work on whatever lingering weirdness that is between them.

She approaches hesitantly, mindful to keep a larger than usual distance between herself in the opening, and offers an affable but awkward sway of her tail.  

Got a minute?
ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Secretly hoped I'd get you <3

Niamh wasn't really ready to doze off, but simply taking a break, thinking to herself and musing on what would happen once Winter passed was good enough for her. She'd more expected one of the half-grown pups to stop by, but instead she got a visitor she didn't really expect- and wasn't sure she wanted. Nevertheless, she knew she'd have to see Ceara again sometime, though she was hoping to track down her brother first. Also- why would Ceara even think of spending time with Bruges if she knew he was her brother?

She sat up as Ceara approached, but the low and narrow entrance to her den caught her just behind her shoulders, so she winced, smiled a sort of guilty smile, and pulled herself forward and out of the den so she could sit up, just as Ceara addressed her. Her ears tilted back...She didn't really want to hear Ceara talk about Bruges, but she couldn't exactly turn away her packmate either, so she wrapped her tail about her paws to keep them warm, and nodded, flicking her ears forward. "Yarp," She replied, though the lack of spark in her eyes might have hinted that she wanted to spend less than a minute with Ceara at that moment.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena
Had to crack out another mobile post before I come back from vacation. I'll be home tonight to get this rollin' if you respond. I had to nab it before anyone else. >)

-----------------------------------------

The determined silver bite that hardened her expression melted into something more approachable as Niamh pulled herself from her den.  She could see (now that Niamh wasn't blocking the whole entrance) that it wasn't nearly complete.  She flashes back to helping Caiaphas for a moment until Niamh answers with a friendly but maybe ingenuine "Yarp".

Whew, HECK, how did she start this conversation?  "Hey, um, so I know that... you and Colt don't need my blessing and maybe you'd probably rather hear this from someone.... anyone else...."

She shifts her weight, ears sliding back.  "But Colt is the most important person to me.  I love him, he's my brother.  And he.. you make him so happy.  I just wanted you to know. That.  I'm happy for you.  Both.  Happy for you both."

What an idiot.  At least it was out now. "New digs?"
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
The way Ceara began, talking about Colt and leading on that she might know something to turn Niamh off made her believe- albeit for a split second- that maybe Ceara was going to try and break them up. She pictured Ceara finishing that statement with something crass, like that she'd seen Colt with another female, or that he was totally a cheater, or something like that...Which caused Niamh to tense. She didn't want to hear it- she didn't want to know anything about Colt that could possibly change how she felt- and wasn't sure there even existed such a thing. Still, she hardened for less than a second, until Ceara continued. 

Wow. Well that wasn't expected...All she could think about was the fact that she should probably give Ceara her blessing to be with Bruges as well- but selfishly, she kept her trap shut about that. Unlike Ceara, she wasn't able to talk about that just yet. Still, she did know that saying that must have been tough for Ceara, and even though Ceara's blessing was likely the last thing in the world she ever would have sought out, she did appreciate the fact that Ceara wouldn't hate on her for being with her brother. It wasn't even a connection that Niamh made, really; the two were too different...And Niamh tended to think of the Blackthorn females as a completely different family apart from the Blackthorn males. It'd never occurred to her that if she and Colt had kids, then that'd make them technically sisters-in-law...The thought made her slightly uncomfortable, but she'd have to just ignore that fact for now. 

"That means a lot, Ceara," She said. "And you don't have to worry...I'd never hurt him. Unless he pulled some stupid shit, then I'd kick his ass just enough," She said, a dry and brittle laugh coming from her jaws; she was still a bit uncomfortable about the whole situation, but not so uncomfortable she couldn't laugh at her own weak jokes. She gestured at the den. "Yep. I hate sleeping outside in the Winter, an' getting all covered in snow. It's garbage," She commented. "I dunno how everyone else does it."
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

As she rambles, she can see Niamh tensing.  Breathe in.  One beat, two.  Breathe out.  I can handle this. she thinks sourly to herself.  Even if Niamh hates her, even if she doesn't care that she has Ceara's blessing.  Even if —

Oh.  Phew.  Cool.  Actually, that made things a lot easier to handle.  I'm glad, she says softly, bringing her gaze up to meet the burnished gold of Niamh's.  She can see now why she'd once had a crush on her — pretty, and witty too.  Maybe that's why they disliked each other so vehemently now.  They were just too much alike.

He'd deserve it.  She couldn't see Colt — their Colt Blackthorn, the very own! — doing anything crass or stupid... but the way he'd been able to relate to that stranger? Maybe he knew something she didn't.

She settled upon the den again, and she was quite suddenly filled with something Niamh always thought Ceara held for her — jealousy.  She'd made her own pitiful scrape, because she too did not want to be caught in this desolate fucking wasteland without shelter... but it must be much warmer when you got to share it with someone.  Hurtfully, an image of herself and @Siarut curled up together by Grouse Thicket comes to mind (even though she has cast him out and they'd never visited there).  She puts on a brave face and nods.  I made one too, but it's looking pretty, um, pitiful right now.  Real shallow.  But with the snow..  She'd have to pad it out.  I helped Caiaphas make hers.  If you'd like some help sometime, if Colt's busy, anyway..  Maybe they wouldn't ever become friends, but at least they could forcibly get along?

Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
"For sure. He was a total asshat when I met him," She said, recalling the experience of having gone arse over tea kettle, sprained her ankle, only to have Colt stroll onto the scene and rub salt in the wound. "Haven't had to school his ass yet, so I guess he's learned not to piss me off," She said, with a slight chuckle. She hadn't really realized the fact that she'd been more forgiving of Colt than she had been of many other wolves- but Niamh's capabilities for forgiving others changed with the seasons, and with her mood. 

Ceara seemed to prefer sleeping in a den as well, but apparently she didn't have the talent for digging them as hers wasn't doing so well. "Trick is to find a hill, like this one. Then you don't have to dig down, just in. Makes it a lot easier to get the dirt out when it's not like...Falling back in every time you move a foot." She said. "And I passed the notion by Colt...But I kinda wanna surprise him with it. What would be cool, though, is if I had some fluff to stuff in it before I show it to him, but the damn birds have kind of left. I'm cool to take a break from digging anyway- wanna help be track somethin' down for a snack slash bedding material?" She asked. The larger the prey they caught, the more fluff she could use to line the den.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Niamh's statement seemed to confirm her thoughts about Colt being kind of a douche, and it puzzled her.. but at least he had changed.  Right?  He'd changed?  He at least seemed to have himself under control enough.. and he was old.  He didn't need to be doing dumb shit anymore.

She appreciates the advice.  I'll see if I can find anything like that.  I moved over by the Thicket, because there are trees there that are excellent windbreaks.  But I don't know if there are any hills.

Then Niamh makes an excellent if not surprising offer.  Maybe if there's some left over, they can split it.  Sure.  I'll help you bring something down.  Maybe after that, you can help me scout out a hill near the Thicket.  Tit for tat.

Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh tilted her head to the side, trying to consider the area of the thicket and recall if there were any hills or knolls where Ceara might be able to dig a den. She thought she could remembed something along those lines, something near a fairly large, deciduous tree, but she couldn't really remember if that was actually in that area or further to the South. "I might know of a place," She said, "If I'm thinking of the right area. We'll check it out after," She said, and stood up, shaking some of the excess dirt from her fur before she moved past Ceara, hoping they might track something down on the way to the Thicket. 

It was a bit strange to her, the idea of wanting a den near the thicket as it was fairly close to the borders- but then again, Niamh had reservations about that because she was planning on having pups, and wouldn't want them anywhere near where strangers could pass by easily. Ceara, on the other hand, wasn't likely going to be having pups...Unless she picked up someone super quick through the Winter and managed to get permission to breed despite the fact that there were already a few other pairs in the pack. Technically, though, she and Colt weren't even mates- but all things considered, they were as common law as a couple wolves could get. 

"D'you ever wonder if there's a place where Winter doesn't even happen?" She asked. "Like...There's almost always snow at the top of some mountains, so it's like always Winter there...So wouldn't it make sense that there'd be some place, somewhere, where it never snows?" It seemed like a fairly reasonable concept to Niamh, who had never travelled or met anyone who claimed to come from a place where the snow never fell.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She was glad that Niamh already knew of somewhere.  The Thicket was still kind of sacred to Ceara despite being barged in on when she'd been with Bruges, and she didn't want its image sullied with more Niamh-incidents.  Still, they seemed to be getting along... as well as two people who were uneasy with each other could get along.

Niamh made it easy.  She offered up bits of conversation easy, and her demeanor was as casual as Ceara's.  Maybe in another world (belatedly, she thinks, just another thing Screech ruined,) they could have been friends.  

I lived in a canyon, once.  Red sands, lots of plateaus like this.  It never snowed.  It got really cold in the winter.. but it never snowed.  She sighed.  I miss it.  But I'd take this over a place that was winter all year round.  She cast Niamh a glance; they had similar pelt-thickness, surely she'd get it.  The summers were really hot, though.  Hotter than it gets here.  You had to be really careful about how much you worked and how much water you got.  It was easier to be up at dawn and dusk, which is why I sleep during the afternoons here.  Old habits die hard. 

Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh was intrigued by the fact that Ceara had lived in a desert. It'd suit her pelt colours, for sure- she'd blend in pretty well there. At the mention of a place where it was Winter all the time, Niamh suddenly remembered a conversation she'd had once. "I met a dude once who was from somewhere way up North, said it was Winter like all the time. Sounds pretty garbage-y, but he said that there were these lights that danced in the sky at night...I'd really like to see those- but I wouldn't wanna live where it's cold all year 'round just to see them." She confessed. 

Ceara gave Niamh a bit of insight into where she'd lived before, and how it'd effected her routine. She'd heard something about Ceara's heatstroke, so she couldn't imagine how hot it must have been where she'd come from in comparison to the heat wave they'd had over the summer. "Yeh...I'd kinda just like a place where it didn't snow, but wasn't stupid hot all the time either. Kinda have to wonder if there even is such a place."
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Her nose wrinkles as if she is personally offended by the idea of it being winter all day, every day, forever.  It sounded like something straight out of her worst nightmares.  She shook her head as Niamh admitted that it wasn't worth it.  Ah, hell no!  I can barely handle a few months of this miserable cold.  All year!  Gah!  

A shiver runs through her from nose to spine, and she shakes off.  You know, I'm not sure.  Maybe somewhere... but it doesn't seem like that'd be anywhere around here, which sucks.

Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Just thought we maybe ought to fade this here, since she’s pretty out of date? Also- would love to have Niamh’s last encounter with Ceara to be a positive one, lawl <3

For a few minutes, Niamh felt herself agreeing with Ceara and more or less letting their past slide away. She sure was likeable when she wanted to be; so part of Niamh couldn’t help but find her company not only agreeable but pleasant. Still, some fine thread of jealousy- no more significant than a small, thin snake- had itself so stubbornly wound around her insides that she couldn’t fully appreciate Ceara’s kind nature. It was an unbecoming quality, this jealousy- wrapped around her perception of Ceara as a snake would to a warm rock. 

But at least for now the envious beast had slipped into a peaceful slumber. Its presence was there, and she was wary of it- but she found no reason to fear its fangs and treat Ceara with hostility...For the moment, at least.