The Sunspire I'm not shy, I'm holding back my awesomeness
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
Rueger stretched his body out against the ground, flexing his muscles as his jaws opened wide in a lazy yawn. It was mid-morning, and then sun shine woke him from his slumber. He had been out in the middle of the night, patrolling borders and walking around the territory. He liked the silence of the night sometimes, as it had a calming effect.

He had snoozed a few hours, and now his stomach rumbled in protest. He righted himself and lifted his body off the ground, shaking the dusting of light snow from his fur. He was instantly alert, the grogginess of sleep not affecting him. As a guardian, he was accustomed to going from a deep sleep, to alert in an instant. He was quickly on the move for something to eat.

A few hours later, he approached a stream to take his fill of the water, and to clean his maw and front paws clean of the drying blood. He had caught a rabbit, which would suffice him for now. He sat back on his haunches and his eyes gazed around the area. He hadn't been exceptionally social since their return from Easthollow, but it wasn't for lack of wanting company. He simply hadn't reached out to anyone. Maybe someone would happen by if he sat in one place long enough.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
It was some time less than a full day before Treason and Terance were supposed to head out.  Could be as few as a couple hours, but who freaking knows.  Time is weird and this is RP.  Anyway.  She was taking it easy today -- there'd be enough walking over the next few days that she wasn't keen on adding unneeded walking to the list.  Though that meant that she wasn't going to do her usual patrol, that didn't mean Treason was just gonna sit around the whole day.  That would be boring.

It wasn't like Treason ever proved to be much of a good person to talk to when traveling -- they'd been carrying things on the way there and on the way back she was just her usually oh so social self.  They'd certainly traded names on the trip, but any conversation beyond that was probably stifled by her usual behavior.  So, as she spotted the male alongside the water, she said, Rueger.  Then approached to take a drink.  First thing's first, after all.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
His ear twitched as he heard someone approaching, and Rueger turned his head to spot Treason. His tail wagged in a friendly greeting and he watched as she took her own fill of the water. Hey, Treason, he greeted, his voice light. How are you doing? he asked, not expecting her to answer until she was done drinking.

Much of the time spent with Treason had been all work and no play, so while he knew her, he didn't know her. He at least knew she was a hard worker, and didn't seem to skirt on what was expected of her. That in and of itself made Rueger respect her.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Treason hadn't exactly gone and made friends with any of the newer members.  Perhaps that was a bad thing given her duties to come, but as it were, she figured things would work themselves out.  She'd spent a good chunk of time over the last month or two off elsewhere making sure that her own health kept up despite the lack of prey, so that hadn't helped any either.  She didn't bring anyone on her escapades, she just did what she felt needed to be done because in the end theoretically it benefited her (and the pack, by proxy).  Okay, sure she sometimes brought something back but it was mostly for selfish reasons and she hadn't wanted to share.

Of all the non-founding members lurking around, Rueger at least she could identify, which was better than some of the others.  It was probably a good idea if the beta-to-be made a vague attempt at attempting to be amiable before her title became official.  Once she was done and had licked the droplets of water off her maw, she replied, Ready for this move to happen.  I don't like waiting.  And given the subtle expression akin to eating something foul, she was probably near her limits of patience.  You ready?  To walk all the way back again and then some, but at least this time not carrying a giant pelt.  Yay, walking!
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Rueger wasn't a wolf that needed idle chit chat. He respected his pack mates, but there was something about him that kept him from becoming friends with most other wolves. He had taken a rare instant liking to Rannoch, and considered him more than just his Alpha. But, the other he was content to be around, standing as their guardian, their protector, without saying much. Still, he knew some socializing was expected.

He had heard whispers of the move, and most seemed to be in favor of it. Treason, it seemed, fell into that category. Why so anxious? he asked. He didn't know the purpose of the move, but maybe it had something to do with why his packmate was so ready for it. He nodded to her question. Yeah. I don't have much history in this territory, so moving isn't a big deal to me, he confessed. Plus, Easthollow seems to be okay with us being their neighbors, he added. He didn't think Rannoch would move them to a place where it would cause instant friction with another pack.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Treason was actually pretty apathetic to the whole thing when it came right down to it.  It hadn't been her choice and now that she was nearing having some say in things, it didn't even matter.  The only way for her to become beta was for the pack to move or Wraen might have second thoughts.  Still, that wasn't the thing that bugged her.  Feels like it's dragged on forever since someone first suggested it.  Either move or don't, but no more dragging it out.

Yeah, out of the options available, it didn't seem like the worst of choices.  They could go settle right up next to Moonspear, I'm sure that would go well.  Just snuggle on up to whatever bizarre cult had developed,  Curious to see what will be a problem though.  Every place has at least one.  If here was not as sustainable for larger numbers, maybe where we're going to has bears or something.  That was the reality of it all.  Nowhere was perfect, places were just less bad than others.  Hopefully it will be something easy to work around.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
So, it seemed the reason Treason was so eager to get the move done, was just to get it done. Rueger could understand that. No point in wasting time if the decision was already made. He was unaware at this time that Wraen was leaving, or that Treason was going to take her place. He would have completely understood that point. I get that, he agreed. No point in dilly dallying if the decision is already made, hmm?

He could understand her worry about what might go wrong in the new home. While Rueger did his best to prepare for such occasions, he didn't exactly worry about them. Preparation made him calm. He couldn't say that he had ever gone up against a bear, but he also wouldn't hesitate if it meant keeping the pack safe. He gave Treason a grin. Don't worry. I'll protect you, he said. While his voice was joking, his promise was legit. If bears were in their future, Rueger would step up to see them out. I'm sure we'll be able to handle what comes, he said confidently. Unless it's another food shortage. That would mean another move.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Yeah, she was being a good poster child for general impatience. Pretty much. It just makes everything awkward for that last bit of time.  She wasn't sure what part bugged her the most.

She did scoff a moment at the thought then she had a thought that cut into her vaguely amused expression -- it didn't exactly soften but it definitely shifted slightly as something came to mind.  Something she didn't seem to be sharing.  Really though, if her plans came to pass, it might not be necessary, but may be useful.  Something to ponder.  She filed it away, continuing on.  Hopefully so. I'm not as sure how some of the other newer members deal with travel, but the fact that this pack was recently unknown to them will bode well for whatever unknowns are found at the other end.  Or at least that seemed logically sound to her.

Once things settle, are you the sort who has goals in mind?
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He nodded his understanding. But, he could also see why the wait was needed. Wolves needed to get things in order, and the pups needed to be ready to move, too. Rueger was basically neutral on the whole thing since he could see both sides of it.

He grinned as she scoffed, seeing her features changed, and he thought she might give a smartass answer back, but she seemed to refrain from doing so. He nodded again to her calculations. I agree. It's easy for me, since I don't yet have ties to this land, he expressed. It wasn't anything against the territory. He just hadn't been here long enough to grow so fond that he was sad to be leaving. He knew of the move early enough that he didn't bother to make those bonds, either.

He was thoughtful at her next question, then shrugged. Just keep doing what I'm doing, I guess. I'm a soldier, and I'll continue to be such. He wasn't sure what else he would be if he couldn't do that. It was trained into him to guard, to protect, to see what was coming and head it off so no one got hurt. What about you? he asked.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Honestly, he didn't fit what she thought of as a soldier.  Treason briefly looked him over once again, from head to tail.  Mostly it was his attitude -- too jovial, too ordinarily kind.  Until he proved otherwise, perhaps Treason would see him as one claiming a title that wasn't earned.  The mercenary title was more fitting, more casual.  Maybe some scenario would arise where he did actually proved that he deserved the respect that Treason attached to the word, but for now she'd be impassive about the whole thing.

Mm.  I'll be beta once the move happens so will have to do those duties, but beyond that all of my plans are for after winter is gone. She rolled a shoulder in a shrug, So, plenty of time to make them happen.  But again she didn't mention specifics -- if he wasn't curious, she was fine to keep him out of it.  Part of this was because she felt it didn't necessarily reflect as well on her as it might on someone more... ordinary.  Then again, nobody else really needed to know until closer to the date either.  Either it would happen or it would not but she didn't want anyone to start interfering in ways she didn't expect.  Other wolves were unpredictable enough.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He was a little surprised that she was going to be Beta once they moved. Why after the move? It was perplexing to him that if someone was going to rise in the ranks, it would be in real time, and not set for a future date. What about the move made it important that she had to wait?

He wasn't generally a nosy wolf, but since she mentioned it, What were your plans? he asked. If she refrained from telling him, Rueger wouldn't be offended. He didn't really have any for himself. Being newer to the area, he took the days as they came. His only real mission was to get to know Valette. And soon, he would realize just how difficult that might be.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Wraen apparently isn't going to be joining us.  She shrugged, not really sure why it was that was going to be the case but hell, it benefited Treason in the end so she wasn't going to go out of her way to prevent it from happening.  Being given the lazy route was fine with her.

The other question was how much did she want to give him?  Eh.  At the very least she'd get to find out if it piqued his interest or not.  Perhaps that would be a better way to judge.  I expect to train additional soldiers for the pack.  But since Rannoch and Liffey don't want that life for their children...  I'm sure there will be others.  It would have been a much better use of the illegitimate litters from this past year, it was just unfortunate that they were dragged off before Treason could find out if they could be useful.  Instead, the whole lot of them would remain leeches forever, never able to fix their earned titles.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He nodded his understanding, though it wasn't very much. Wraen was not moving with them, and therefore Treason was taking her spot. It seemed interesting that Wraen would wait until the move to go... wherever she was going, and Treason would have to wait for her promotion. But, as many questions as Rueger had, he did not want to be disrespectful. It was obvious that decisions had already been made, and who was he to question them? Well, congratulations on your pending promotion, he decided on. 

A brow perked when she told him of her intention to make more soldiers for the pack. Sunspire seemed to have a fair share of able males—did it need more? Are you preparing for war? he asked brazenly. He knew she had concerns about the packs that were already established by their future home, but war? He supposed it was good to be prepared for anything. Not to toot my own horn, but I was a pretty good soldier in my previous pack, if you'd like assistance on your mission to build an army, he offered. It was a faith he put in her, to not use his experience for evil. Rueger knew all too well what happened when a bad wolf got ahold of a strong group of soldiers.
~Maya Angelou
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She dipped her head, a silent thanks.  It would be an... interesting transition, surely.  And she'd have to figure out if she wanted to attempt to figure out the more diplomatic side of things or leave that up to the two other leaders.  Everyone had their forte, after all.  It would also leave her to wonder about what her next paths of advancement would be after -- but that was much farther down the line.

Her short laugh was at a combination of how that sounded when privy to all the cards, and also at what she was about to wryly say, I'm preparing for a possible influx of idiots if the place we're moving to isn't off the beaten path.  You weren't here for the start of the pack, but in the early months, we had several incidents with other wolves trespassing with ill intent.  One was even wanting to kill Rannoch, which she said with dark amusement.  Seriously, how did Redshank think that was going to go?  She thought of Seabreeze's 'fighting' tactics as well, And if we're going to have so many other members that would probably be more trouble in a fight than they'd be worth, then those of us who aren't a hindrance need to be greater in number than we are.  Okay, there were a few more fighters in the pack at the time of this thread, but still...  She hadn't sparred with most of them, so she wasn't going to just assume their skills were as they said.  But this was also Treason.  She was not necessarily a good wolf, but as long as her interests continued to align with that of the pack as a whole, it honestly didn't matter.

A childish part of her was still far too amused, and she continued to stifle it beneath her usual cool facade.  It probably made her look borderline cheery at this point,  First the move, then the planning.  But yes, you could probably help out.  I'm sure things will become more clear once everyone's settled in and see how much of an emergency it'd be.  And so, they continued the patrol, continuing to talk about various things as they did so.