Whitebark Stream Rose garden filled with thorns
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
The malguk wandered down from the glacier after her patrol. The wounds on both sides of her neck were healed, leaving only hairless spots with brights pink scars; she barely even noticed them anymore aside from the times she happened to catch her reflection in the water. She was not at the river today to look at her reflection, though; Taki had trekked down here to check on the area and had been drawn to the water for a drink. As she pulled the the cold liquid in her mouth, a flip of a tail downstream caught her attention.

She lifted her snowy head, gaze locking on the area where she had seen the movement before silently padding over. She took a few slow, cautious steps into the water, careful not to make a bunch of commotion and scare the fish she was hoping was still around. Once far enough into the water, she ceased movement and waited. Soon, she saw the large, silver creature gliding towards her. Waiting for the exact right moment, she shot her muzzle into the water just before the fish moved in front of her. Her teeth met the flesh of her prey, and she clamped down hard, pulling her head from the water as the fish wiggled between her jaws. Taki moved to the shore, dropping the fish on the ground before holding it in place with her paw. Reaching down, she clamped her mouth around the creatures head and with one swift bite, her prey's movement came to a stop. She lifted her head again and looked around before shaking the water from her thick, northern coat.
Inuttuk
Common

all creation myths need a devil
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
before he would suffer the implosion of bearclaw, stigmata struck out from their reticent borders to check precisely on two things:

if there were any other packs that had popped up recently within the troughs of rising sun,

and if he could catch a whiff of the adventuress he'd met on his return-trip home.

stigmata was not naive enough to think he would turn much up of her other than a recently reinforced border, but fortune seemed to smile on him that day - as he spotted the very wolf he had been looking for; even further from her home than their first encounter. it was fate then, he could only surmise. she'd just won a dispute with a large fish when he came across her, and the wraith knew better than to toil around a woman and her food. he stayed a ways back, signaling the nameless glacier wolf with single boof to make himself known.

i can't believe this fits in my timeline xD
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
I'm glad it does! Thanks for saving it. :)

One good shake, and her coat was as dry as she could make it. She glanced around to check her surroundings, but her gaze was quickly drawn to Stigmata when his greeting sound reached her ears. She was surprised to see him. He had hinted that he might be back around here, but she never put any worth in words. Actions were the only thing that proved anything to the snowy leader; it was a lesson learned a long time ago but was not one she would easily forget. She studied him silently for a few seconds before lowering her head back to her meal to begin eating, clearly having no issue with his presence. 

After a few more minutes, she moved to lie down, fish held between her front paws as she continued to eat, offering her visitor a few cursory glances mostly intended to check if he was still there.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
at the sight of neither a rejection or invitation, stigmata purled forward of his own volition, watching mutedly as the pale valkyrie reclined to partake in her fish. the smokewraith came to a rest before her, reclining on his haunches and giving their surroundings a few cursory glances - letting her swallow a few times more - before stating: "i must admit, this is the hardest i have ever worked for just a name." 

chin lifted, he passed a sly eye over the pale regina, feeling bemused by her if nothing else.

Anytime <3
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She paused briefly as he came to sit in front of her but quickly resumed her task. He could watch her eat if he really wanted to. His comment gave her pause again, and this time she lifted her head from the mostly eaten fish to offer him a smirk. Well, if it's easy to obtain, then it usually isn't worth having, she teased. Truthfully, she hadn't even realized he didn't know her name, but she was awfully ruffled by the end of their last meeting, so she wasn't surprised she hadn't offered it.

She rose to a sitting position, dipping her head slightly before speaking. Takiyok, she extended, licking her lips to remove any remnants from her meal. She glanced down at the remains of the fish before meeting his gaze again. There might still be some left if you want it, she offered, nosing the rest towards him.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
stigmata smiled at her teasing. "well any warm-blooded wolf knows that," he returned unhurriedly. "why do you think i am here?" surely it wasn't limpid coincidence that he had happened upon her again; he was here to return to the boughs of her high labyrinth and attempt to conquer more of her hidden labors, if he could.

his ears twitched faintly at her introduction, his tail picking up a quietly sweeping pace behind him. takiyok sounded like a name one wielded to lord over nations, the wraith thought. he didn't feel particularly hungry, but he took the fact that she was willing to share meat - that could go to the mouths of her family - as one of the kindest gestures to be paid during a truce between competitors. he hunkered down and took the meat without question, grunting appreciatively as he began to tooth his way around a tine of fishbones.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She didn't know about that. She had plenty of personal experience that proved most were usually just looking for something easy. She had found most wolves to be weak or lazy if not some combination of both. Not the male in front of her, though, at least not so far. But what all did she really know about him? She raised an eyebrow at his question. I have a feeling that you came expecting more than just my name.

Returning the favor, she let him eat in peace, occasionally scanning the area out of habit and the need to always be aware. When she felt she had given him a sufficient amount of time without any conversation, she looked back to the intriguing male. I'm actually surprised you made your way back here, she stated indifferently, letting her gaze slowly drift the water and the lands beyond it.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
while he thought it was true that all wolves knew things of any worth often required a tremendous effort, stigmata also thought it was true that a lot of wolves would rather settle. there were other she-wolves, perhaps a lot nicer than takiyok, that would have given into his pressures many moons ago, and a wolf less accustomed to the rigors of an undertaking such as himself, would have scoffed at having to try any harder than that. stigmata was a rare breed, who was both willing to take what came easy and pursue what did not.

takiyok had proven tenfold that she did not come easy.

when she spoke again, he had nearly finished, though paused to lick his chops for a thoughtful response. "next time i say something, you might think it true then," he said, giving his snobby fish-lips another swipe. "and i did not come expecting more than your name," stigmata added in a flat tone, giving her an offended sort of scowl before finishing bluntly: "i came to ask if you would bear my pups this spring."
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She wasn't sure she could agree to take him at his word just yet. That kind of trust was reserved usually for family and those who have proven they deserve it. But, he hadn't given her a reason not to trust him yet. I don't know. Words are fleeting and promises are easily broken by most. she replied. She supposed she could tell him what he wanted to hear, but she had never done that before, and she wouldn't start now. Beside, wouldn't that make her a hypocrite? Giving others false words? 

Her insinuation appeared to have rubbed him the wrong way--nothing she wasn't used to. She honestly felt a little guilty for saying it until he asked to mate with her in the spring. Surprise forced her head back a little. That seems like quite a lot more than just my name, she replied curtly. He was awfully bold, coming right out and asking her to have his children like he was asking her to join him for a walk. But, among the feelings of surprise and irritation, she found there was also a little curiosity. She looked at him a bit skeptically. Why? she asked. He barely knew her; all she offered him was suspicion and mild acceptance and he wanted to have pups with her? She couldn't help feeling suspicious, it was her go to when she didn't understand the actions of others.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
at the cynical evaluation of what most wolves seemed to do, in her steadfast opinion, stigmata shrugged slightly and bowed his head to lap at what few good scraps were left of the fish carcass. he paused to inform her of his purpose, and tried not to seem too amused by her reaction. "it is indeed quite a lot more," he agreed almost solemnly; "but i do not expect anything of it. i only came to ask."

she didn't trust him - though he imagined she trusted him more than any other stranger she had ever known - but it was hard for her not to be inquisitive. especially when he was being so forthcoming.

why? she wanted to know; her suspicious tongue flitting.

stigmata blinked. "come now, takiyok, do not play modest with me. is this the first time you have had an honest suitor?"
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She stared at him, eventually looking away, feeling a little uncomfortable with his question. She had done a pretty good job deterring most from wanting to form any kind of relationship with her; most of the time it wasn't really even on purpose, but she held no delusions about her personality, and she wouldn't apologize for it. She was honest when most wouldn't be, which was something others should strive to do more often. Still, she hadn't really had any suitors as he had put it--only short, uncomplicated encounters. More than that made her wary. Is it really that surprising? she asked, moving her gaze to his face again. She thought back to their first meeting, and yep, she had been the same Taki she always was. Even today, she hadn't exactly been pleasant, yet here he was, asking her to have children.

She gave a capitulated sigh. What all would you expect from me? she inquired, the suspicion not quite gone from her eyes. She had no doubt they would have strong, capable children, which was honestly reason enough to agree to his proposal, but what would that mean for them? She needed to know the logistics of this before agreeing to anything.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
at the aversion of her eyes, stigmata knew immediately that he had shamed takiyok in some way. he sobered from his jesting mood, and looked at her more critically when she was able to address him again. "not particularly," he answered at length. she certainly had a way about her that seemed to serve as an effective deterrent towards weak-minded wolves, but more than this she was still fairly young - nearing her first season, he thought. "you have some damnably high walls," stigmata elaborated, before huffing out a rather sleepy addition of: "but you are young yet."

he was surprised to find her considering his proposition next. she obviously lacked any viable or decent prospects in her own packlife, making her vulnerable to his persistence, and stigmata was keen to capitalize on the weakness. he pushed the ragged fish-spine from in front of him, regarding takiyok with some much needed levity. "are you just humoring me, or is this a genuine consideration?" he pressed. "i do not make this offer to any passing fancy."
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Her walls were high, but for a good reason, and she kind of resented the fact that he had put it off as a symptom of her youth. That doesn't mean I haven't been given sufficient reason to guard my trust, she answered somewhat indignantly, jaw tightening at the brief flood of memories of her father; she quickly pushed them back into their hole where they belonged before she had to think too much about it. 

She scowled some at his question, resisting any attempts to lighten the mood. She was still a little irritated, and his question only made it worse. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't genuinely interested, she answered, her words a little more clipped than she had intended. But, she thought it was obvious by now that she didn't say anything she didn't mean, nor would she ever say or do anything just to humor someone. 

She wasn't really sure she believed his last words, but she didn't voice her doubt, oddly unsure if she could trust the feeling. So far, he hadn't lied about anything, but it would take some time for her hardwired distrust to lessen a little around him. She needed see more before she let her guard down anymore than she surprisingly already had.

I'd like to know more about what the arrangement would look like. I can't predict the future, but I know I won't leave my pack or family, so if that's what you want from me, I can't give it to you. she added, her expression and tone softening a little as she attempted to calm her annoyance.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
"you are being defensive," he snorted; "because i have offended you. and so you misinterpret me by hearing things i am not saying." takiyok seemed hyper-aware of her age now that he had called attention to it; implying to him that she thought his two statements were negatively related when he hadn't meant it that way at all.

flatly, nakedly, without relent, he stared at her. "i only meant that you are young enough to change, nothing more."

she was short with him thereafter; bitterly impatient, despite the fact that he had even less reason to trust what she said than she had of him. this slight haughtiness - something  he did attribute to her age -  didn't perturb stigmata who knew she would make a fair mother regardless. the fact that it would be her first time, only meant she was more likely to take an extra step  to try and do things right no matter how events actually transpired.

in laymen terms, her lack of experience only made him want her more.

"arrangement, takiyok? i only asked if you wanted to bear my young - not if you wanted to be my lifelong courtier." he smirked, trying not to appear too smugly flattered by the idea he had come to steal her away from the glacier kingdom. "look, i want very simply to provide you with a healthy batch of sons and daughters. that is all. i would appreciate an opportunity to know them, but i do not expect that, nor do i expect either of us to heel to the other."
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She deflated somewhat, deciding his words seemed sincere. Her temper was always something she had to work to keep under control. When she was a juvenile only a few months short of becoming a yearling, her training with Sia had grown more intense and demanding. Her older brother had constantly scolded her about her temper and how it would cloud her judgement, and she really had gotten a lot better, especially as she grew older. She still had certain buttons, though, and unfortunately, Stigmata had pushed them. Still, she didn't usually apologize for anything, aside from certain rare occasions. Maybe that meant she was too proud, or maybe it was because she was stubborn--maybe a little of both. 

The atausiq confidently held his gaze as he spoke and when he finished, she shrugged a little. Maybe I don't want to change, she countered. Why was it so bad to guard what might make her vulnerable. Besides, it wasn't like she never let anyone in; she trusted her family completely, and she felt like others could work their way there too with enough resolve. 

Taki listened thoughtfully as he explained his intentions, playfully rolling her eyes at his 'lifelong courtier comment. When he finished, she studied his expression, searching for any signs of deceit but found none. What he proposed actually sounded kind of perfect; she would get to be a mother without all the messy relationship stuff, and he wouldn't ask her to leave her family or her position. If this happened, she felt no need to prevent him from seeing his own children, though; that seemed like it would harm the pups more than anyone else. Alright, she began. I accept, but I have no desire to keep them from you. You would be welcome to see them whenever you wished to do so.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
maybe i don't want to change.

stigmata looked amused but said nothing. he wanted to rejoin; tell her that all things changed, given enough time, and that someday she would simply be different than what she used to be, perhaps unable to tell when exactly the change had occurred. she could become softer. she could grow even more thorns. but in his experience, most wolves evolved emotionally over the course of their life, willingly or not. he imagined that even mountains could not keep their stony facades for all eternity - but more than this he knew takiyok would resist any personal change for as long as she possibly could.

her defining feature, if not her own undoing.

the warhound bore this inflexibility as well. he was adaptable, surely, but he would not compromise to anything that was not instinctual or respectful - something that would become glaringly obvious in the tumultuous weeks to come - and he did not expect her to.

in fact, he had thought her too closed off to take his offer with any seriousness, so when she accepted at length the wolf became visibly involved - as if he'd just woken up. his tail thumped on the ground, and a cheeky sort of smile broke his long, regal muzzle. she really must not have any decent prospects back home; something he felt inexhaustibly grateful for. the fact she didn't need him to be involved more was just a plus. "you honor me, takiyok. we will have an outstanding brood!" he announced with a great deal of pride. "and you will make for an exceptional mother."
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The shift in his mood at her acceptance pulled a small smile from the snowy leader. The smile grew a little at his exclamation even though it was something she already knew. Any children of hers would be superior--strong and intelligent; she had no doubt about it. It was even better that they would have a strong father to offer his own quality genes; she wouldn't have agreed to have children with any less. 

Whether or not she would be an exceptional mother, as stigmata had put it, was to be determined. She would certainly try her hardest, but she was under no illusions about how difficult it would be to raise children. It would be her first litter, so she was admittedly a little nervous about it. She was just grateful to have her family to help her. 

Still, she was appreciative of the comment, and she moved to offer a few licks to his cheek in thanks if allowed.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
if takiyok had any doubts in his words, she hid them well. stigmata would have taken great care to reassure the tundra valkyrie, and let her know that it was because this was her first litter, he felt especially sure she would be excellent at the task set before her. he certainly didn't expect that she would get it all right the first time around, but to him, that was almost the point.

her mistakes would make for a hardy litter. those that survived her mistakes, anyway.

he accepted her affection with an appreciative groan and firmer wags from his tail, but otherwise seemed distracted. he was looking towards her snow-capped glacier. "do i have you much longer, this afternoon?" he asked her quietly, turning his long muzzle back towards her.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
So, in a handful of months, she would be a mother. It was hard to imagine but already, a small knot of anticipation had started to form in her stomach at the thought.  

She sighed a little. I should probably head back soon. It wasn't really what she wanted to do since it was harder to avoid Sia on the glacier, but nothing would make the malguk skirt her duties, not even a strained sibling relationship. She supposed she should probably repair things with him at some point, especially if she were having puppies in the spring. She still had time, though, which was good because she was far too angry with him still to even think about resolving anything. She met Stigmata's gaze with her own fiery stare. But, I have a little more time if you want it, she offered with a small shrug. Her responsibilities could wait a little longer if he wanted her to stay.
Inuttuk
Common

445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
"i will take that time, then," stigmata smiled, feeling more easygoing than he had in months. maybe years. he got to his feet and circled around takiyok - nibbling her spine fondly - before coming to lay beside her, now facing the same direction. he leaned into her pale, firm shoulder and twitched his ears towards the noisy river, sighing contentedly. just existing here, pressed against the queen valkyrie, was an act of bonding for stigmata. he felt no need to pry into her past or wonder about how to make her happy; these things were almost irrelevant.

but being able to recline in her presence, without any sort of worry shared between them, was absolute bliss to him and he dared not ruin it with conversation. his head settled over her long legs, and his eyes began to flutter shut as his breathing eased more and more. he would lay there as long as she allowed, and they would part ways understanding one another a little bit better than they had the first time.

fade here? and i just want to say that i love how organic our threads are & how we've literally never talked at all about how we interact with these two <3 can't wait for another thread!
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Sounds good! I love it too! It's my favorite way to do things. They can have a thread anytime! :)

Taki dipped her head, watching as he circled around her. She accepted his affection with ease, something that surprised her a little, but she didn't really care to question it right now. Even more surprising was the fact that having him in her space felt comfortable and not like an intrusion. Again, he had somehow made her drop her guard a little, but she was too content to really even be suspicious about it. And when he placed his head on her legs and fell asleep, she rested hers on his back. She didn't fall asleep, although she probably could have, instead, she enjoyed the silence and their closeness, keeping a trained eye out for any danger while Stigmata slept. She would let him sleep as long as he wished, and then she would head back to the glacier, feeling a mixture of nervousness and anticipation for the future.
Inuttuk
Common