Moonspear show them you are made of oak and iron. then gouge the sight from their eyes
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior

They had returned home with the bloodied Llewelyn. Hydra would soon seek her mother to hold counsel with her over the matters that had transpired. Irate that he would go without a word, his injuries earned were enough condemnation—Hydra would have thrilled to move alongside him, and to find the wolf she would see dead once and for all. As it was, Llewelyn had perhaps given that very same man enough of a warning, even if he himself was oblivious to it. They would need to act quickly, then... 

She had not forgotten the pause of her brother that day. For one who moved without question, and seemed undaunted by so much, she wondered if he was unnerved. If he were to join her, she would need to be certain. And so, before she sought her mother, it was her younger brother she now trailed.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
"God is every bit as feral as that which he creates."
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
They returned, and Revui kept to the rear. It wasn't until the group was upon Moonspears lower slopes that he finally separated from the others. Or, rather, he thought he did. Hydra's scent soon took over, and so Revui knew he was not as alone as he hoped. There was no point in avoiding the confrontation he anticipated, so the boy led them away, to a bald patch on the ridge where they could talk - or whatever it was the sullen, soundless boy did.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She did not follow mutely. Rather, she intentionally announced her presence there. Scree and rabble clicked loudly as it rolled down the ledge she stalked him upon; there was ample room for the broody boy to refuse her company, if he wished it. Hydra had not expected the brawny boy who snapped at everything that might ever pose as a threat to react in such a pathetic manner, but there it was. The question was: did what he see unnerve him enough to deter him? Or stop him from following the warrior path altogether? 

When there was room for her, and it was clear he was (as) receptive [enough] to her company, Hydra strode alongside the beastly boy. He was larger than her, and she was no thin waif, but it was evident who was the eldest between them. Her ears squared atop her crown for a moment as she looked to the distance, and she spoke. He is lucky he looked as well as he did, which was saying something. He trespassed. Alone. We are fortunate we did not find his body, she continued. Sensitive, as ever. 

That is the reality of battle. It does not always favor us, and it never will when we are outnumbered. That is yet another reason why the lone wolf might die, while the pack survives. Llewelyn acted without a word to us, and without backup. There was no admonishment in her tone. He did what he felt he must, but he could have died doing it, and were it not for Tegan they would have been none the wiser. 

She sighed a little. I ask much of you and Arcturus. I ask you to move with me to be rid of a threat. The man that killed your older sister, her blue eyes fell to him. But it is not without risk. His blood is not all that will be shed, she explained. She intended to trespass, but not alone. She intended to find the bastard, root him out. Kill him. It is good that you saw what you did. Now, you can answer me truly. Are you prepared?
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
The boy needed to man up. It was simple. The fact he had given pause so swiftly was not only a reflection of himself, but of those that came before him - schooled him. If he shrank away from danger and bloodshed in the heat of the moment then what was the point? But it had not been the blood that worried him. It was not a lack of safety, there had been many teeth between the lot of them. He wasn't sure, and that's one of the factors. Hydra spoke and he listened, as always the stoic, knowing he should not take her words too personally. She is merely trying to educate the boys and make them in to assets for the pack. Something more than the idle princelings they had become.

What caused him to pause was something different. Revui knew of Llewellyn as a warrior, as a teacher, and as a formidable opponent. Even if he had a very limited grasp of what formidable meant via his foray in to the warrior's domain, Llewellyn was someone he respected. If someone like that could be felled by the likes of these Blackfeather wolves, then what sort of warriors were they facing? Did he stand a chance at all? Would he not fall too, and more quickly because of his inexperience? Revui was not accustomed to doubt or anxiety; his family knew him as a blunt instrument but he would bludgeon his way through any obstacle that came his way. This time, seeing Llewellyn weakened like that, brought to mind many other things.

Charon's recent adventure leading to a ruined face, for one; his missing sibling for another; the violence and the ecstacy he shared with Arcturus when they felled the wolverine together, and the doe — he was abuzz with many things, and being a creature not prone to words made things seem too intense, at least for now.

Are you prepared? Hydra had asked. The boy took a deep breath, drawing it slowly through his nose. He could still smell Llewellyn's blood, or thought he did — a mirage of manifested nerves. But he nods, unable to meet Hydra's gaze as he agrees. Yes, he thinks, he is prepared. But he is also frightened and does not wish to admit it.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She did not share his reservations, if only because she thought of the wolves of Blackfeathers as cowards. But one wolf could easily be savaged by many. Hydra continued once he nodded. The wolves of Blackfeather have routes for their own escape within the territory. Drogon told me of them, she explained. Drogon was with them now, come to think of it, but she had not detected his scent upon Llewelyn. Perhaps because he had thought it was her who had come for Titmouse. Not yet. 

They are not warriors. But even the most skilled of warriors can be overwhelmed by more than one wolf. No one had his back. He did not stay beside Tegan. He was entirely vulnerable and exposed. What is more, he trespassed. Even for their wrongdoings, they could have killed them, when independent of one another. I imagine it was his skill alone that caused him to survive, she said with a sigh. And Tegan's inexperience caused him to fail... 

Hydra continued. What is important is that when it comes to battle, you do not hesitate. You do not give up. And if you are losing, call for aid. If none comes, you must flee, as Llewelyn did. There is no harm in that, when you are overwhelmed. True battle is new to you; you will be forgiven. But there could be no better wolves to test yourself and your strength against. Hydra considered for a moment. Attack who you think you can best. Assess for old injury, or weakness, as you would in a hunt. But wolves are different than prey. They are aware of their weakness. And so, do what they least expect, to start with. She suggests, eyes falling back to him.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Her many words eventually became too much for him to handle, but he still said nothing. He let them wash over him and felt as if he were drowning among them, grasping for understanding as she gave her instruction, her caution. The prospect of diving headlong in to battle alone had seemed like a massive test of his skills, one that he thought he could succeed at — but this was a lesson, even if he had not been there to partake in the adventure first-hand. He would learn from the mistakes of Llewellyn.

Revui nods when the words finally stop flowing, sighing deeply as the silence returns. He is comforted by all that Hydra has said; but most importantly to him, the boy prince is content to dwell in the quiet. To digest all of the information and make his decision. He knows immediately that he will not let anyone touch his mountain. He is determined to keep up with his training even though it frightens him now, because one day he will be strong enough that the fear will not stop him. He will not hesitate, and they will be victorious.

And, he thinks, he will always have Arcturus. The boy's expression becomes grave as he thinks of this, and he deigns to speak with his own words — rough though his voice may be. If Arcturus is with me, I will fight. Never alone. And.. Sister, he takes one glance at her, eye to eye, and presses his shoulder against her own suddenly, sharply, not meaning to harm or to put her off-balance but as a sign of solidarity. A rare moment of physical contact from a beast otherwise void of connection, we will kill. We will win.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She was content to hear his response. She adds, With Lyra. With Alya. With me. With mother. With father. With any you trust at your back. But we are family, and together, we fight, for good measure. But his trust of Arcturus seemed similar of her own trust to her sisters. An indomitable force, without question. But Hydra, despite her instruction, had a mind to leave her sisters here should an invasion seem imminent. She would have to trust the strength of Arcturus, of Revui; of any she brought with her from Redhawk, too, to boot. 

But Hydra would not be alone. 

As he looks to her, she looks to him. Her eyes hold him, and she does not miss the gravity of his words. We will, she confirmed, moving against his large frame. In all of this, Revui, to kill the man who killed your sister—that is what we must accomplish. Incapacitate whoever tries to deter us, but he, the one-eyed bastard, must die. And there will be no question of his death, should we find him. To anyone. She had a terribly brutal death in mind. 

What do you feel is your greatest weakness, Revui? Hydra asked next. His inexperience aside, she sought something that others could visibly exploit... an area in which he was least comfortable. Defense? Offense? Knowing where to attack? When? At least she could comfort him with some food for thought, but at the end of the day, he would need to be strong enough to swallow it, digest it, and carry the weight of it with him to battle.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
She listed the rest of the family and he agreed, but did not say anything or make motion; the power in her words was a little bit overwhelming. Yes, they were all there too - strong in their own ways, versatile and helpful and always at his flank in case of problems, but for Revui it didn't matter as much. All that mattered was Arcturus. As long as the shadow was there with him, they could do anything. They would do anything - find this creature of the black-woods, kill him if need be, rend his allies in to pieces.

But then the conversation took another turn. His ears flicked back and he huffed, refusing to answer such a leading question. Beyond not wanting to talk as a general rule, Revui did not wish to expound on his limits, for he felt he had none. He did not know how to answer because he was strong, he was fast, he knew the tactics and he had been trained, and where he failed his brother would compensate in the many ways that he did. They were one unit, together. Perhaps - he thought of this vaguely, slowly, for his mind did not work as swift as others - perhaps that was his weakness.

Dependence, he slurred, unsure if it is the right phrase or the right inflection, a string of sounds he's heard before but never really identified with. He swallows the word back down, thinks about it, and continues: I am stronger with others, but if I am alone - am I weakened? Am I.. not enough?  From what he was gathering in this lesson, he would need the aid of his family in whatever battle they were to fight; but what if he was separated? He was fast, he was strong - but alone, in the worst case scenario, would he freeze again and would he die by their teeth?