Blacktail Deer Plateau In these trees there's no escaping truth
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Private 

Her trust in Grezig had been lost.

There was something about the way the Beta had looked at her on the day of her return, something that Liri believed akin to hatred. Or perhaps it was jealousy, the fae could not be sure. 

Yet, Liri could not demote her, refused to. Not for this personal matter. Despite the unrequited love triangle, the woman had been devoted to the pack since they'd first come across her. Liri respected her in that aspect and would not strip her of leadership. But she did need someone she knew she could trust. 

It had taken careful consideration for her to choose a Beta. 

Elixir had been with them nearly as long as Grezig but there was something about the young, spritely naturalist that just didn't seem capable of shouldering the burden. It took a great deal of responsibility and she couldn't simply give the rank to her friend based on their relationship alone. 

Minori had been another candidate but she had returned to their pack only a few weeks before; Liri could not be certain that she would not disappear again. 

That left Ruenna. Once the silver had come to mind, Liri felt an resounding confidence in her decision. She had been here for only a short time, yet Rue had proven herself a loyal pack mate and a hard worker. She could handle the responsibility, she was level-headed, and Liri trusted her.

With Kavik's blessing, Liri slipped from their den to return to the deep confines of the forest. It was here that she truly felt at home.

It was peaceful here in the heart of the forest, surrounded by the crisp scent of pine and the soft trills of birdsong. Amongst the rustling leaves, which had begun to fall in earnest with autumn's progression, Liri sat on her haunches to wait for Ruenna. They could speak privately here, amongst the dying things and the bare trees - their skeletal fingers reaching for the sky. 

Her head tipped back, a call for the bird alone ringing out over their territory. Her breath rose in white puffs to dissipate, the echo of her howl bouncing through the timber.

Left in silence, the healer waited amongst the ancients. 
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna had marveled at the scenery of the Plateau when she had arrived in late summer, its verdant forests full of the sights and sounds of life. The changing of the seasons had sapped the vibrance from the territory, but Rue could not deny that there was also beauty in the hushed tones of winter. It was certainly quieter now, but Rue had never shied away from silence. Quite the opposite, in fact. The absence of activity allowed her time to observe, and time to think-- two of her most common pastimes. The events of the last few days had certainly given her much to think about.

Meeting the wolf from that new pack in the willows was certainly a highlight, as was her recent, somewhat uncomfortable conversation with Grezig. However, what occupied the young lady's mind most often was the plight of the new recruit, Siqsa. When they had last spoken, he had seemed so confused, so.. anxious. He had asked Rue questions about the ranking system in Blacktail Deer Plateau that Rue had been unable to answer. Indeed, they were the same questions Rue had asked Kavik and Liri on the day she arrived at the Plateau. Siqsa's troubled questions seemed to Rue to indicate a deep yearning to settle into his place here in the pack... and yet he was completely at a loss for how to find or obtain that place for himself. Rue had to admit, she felt similarly. 

Because of the frequent shuffles, rank could not be relied upon to dictate whose place was whose. It felt as though just as she had been settling into the Delta position, she found herself hoisted up to Gamma. Rue was about the furthest thing from a social-climber, and so although she was proud of the appointment she was also uncomfortable with the possible implications. Rue would rather serve as the lowliest omega than hold a position for which others deemed her unworthy. There were other wolves-- Elixir and Minori came to mind-- who had been with the Plateau longer and perhaps felt that they deserved Gamma themselves. Rue wouldn't have argued against either appointment. 

As she made her way toward Liri's call, Rue was optimisitic that their impending conversation might answer some of her questions. Liri had called Rue and only Rue, so whatever she was about to share would provide insight as to exactly what Rue's place was in the pack-- from Liri's perspective, at least. The silver's gaze slid across the bare pine silhouttes as she walked, finally settling upon Liri when the woman came into view. "Liri," Rue greeted the ivory woman cheerfully, brightening as she emerged from her heavy thoughts. She approached her leader and nudged her muzzle against Liri's shoulder in a warm greeting-- or at least as warm a greeting as Rue ever gave, physically.

"I have news from my explorations," she said, proud to be able to deliver her first report since she and Liri had briefly discussed the scouting trade. "There is a new pack forming in the willows on the other side of the mountain range." Rue dipped her muzzle toward the northeast. "..Elysium, they're called. If you take the mountain pass east and the turn northward, their territory is only a day or so's journey."  What would Liri think of another pack putting down roots so close to Blacktail Deer Plateau? It was unlikely that the Elysium wolves would cross the mountains to hunt the Blacktail herd, but it was possible other problems could arise when neighbors were so near.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Liri was unaware of Siqsa's concerns - admittedly, she wasn't sure how she felt about the male. She had a hunch that he was the one who had made Krarius feel so frightened that he didn't want to tell her the identity of his bully or whatever it was - for who else would make a new pack mate feel unwelcome? Certainly not the leaders or any of the wolves that had been here for a time, most of the plateau residents were kind folk. She couldn't imagined that any of her wolves would have treated their comrades with anything but welcome. That left the unfamiliar wolf at the top of her list of suspects. 

Still, had she been aware of his questions - and Ruenna's - she would have attempted to explain, make him feel at home. The leader wanted him to feel like he belonged but she simply didn't approve of how he treated the other members of their family. 

"Really?" Liri asked with interest as she returned the Gamma's affection with a nudge of her own. "Perhaps I'll seek them out before winter confines me here." When it truly began to get cold, when the land was blanketed in snow, Liri doubted she (or any wolf with common sense) would be willing to venture very far from the Flatlands. 

"Grezig returned from her search for Illidan's family with news of a possible alliance with Easthollow. I don't know them well, though I've heard of their pack before, but I would like to meet with both packs. One can never have too many allies," she shared, unaware that Ruenna had only just learned of the young coywolf's existence. It was true he was a reclusive young man but he slept within the door - with Liri and Kavik, or alternatively, in Grezig's den - and his scent was as strong about the territory as any member. The healer had simply assumed with everyone, or most everyone, sharing the atrium as a communal densite that the presence of any wolf who called it home would be noticed. 

"I don't think they'll cause any trouble with a whole mountain range between us. It could be an advantage to have such close neighbours, should we need help for some reason," the hunter added thoughtfully, unaware that the pack was one she had once belonged to. 

"Perhaps we could go together, though I wonder if you're tired of traveling by now," she smiled. 

"But the reason I called you here is for a different matter." Liri finally brought up the issue she'd called Rue for. 

"I know you've only been here a short time but I feel in that time you've proven that you're more than dedicated to this pack. You're family." 

"You've never hesitated to help the pack in any matter. Be it hunts, bears attacking our home, or coming with me to negotiate alliances."

"I suppose this is my long-winded way of asking you if you would be our Beta?" 
Liri fell silent, nervous as she waited for the bird's answer. 

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Liri seemed seemed interested in the news, which to Rue translated to a job well done. She nodded at the suggestion that Elysium might be sought out before winter-- they were close enough that a quick excursion shouldn't pose any problems. 

"I agree entirely," Rue replied to Liri's remark about allies. Rue had grown up in a small natal pack with a dozen or so allies, and these bonds were truly what had allowed each family unit to survive. Grezig had told Rue of her journey to the eastern pack-- Easthollow, Liri called it-- but Grezig had not mentioned the possibility of an alliance. Perhaps the beta had wished to run the news by the alphas first? Even so, Rue was somewhat baffled that Grezig hadn't shared that bit. The leadership tier seemed to like their secrets. Rue wondered if she would ever know what was going on with the three of them-- there was obviously something.

"I thought the same thing," Rue agreed with Liri's assessment of the advantages of having close allies. Neighbors could be a wonderful asset, if they were the cooperative type. What sort of wolves the Elysium bunch would prove to be, only time would tell. 

"A little bit," Rue admitted to being travel-weary with a small chuckle. "But I'm happy to stretch my legs one more time before winter." Rue knew that if she turned down the excursion, she would be kicking herself for not taking the chance to travel once the cabin-fever of winter set in. 

Rue blinked at the swift subject change. She blinked a few more times in surprise at the praise that followed, ears flattening in disbelief. Liri then called her family, and Rue swallowed the emotion that welled in her throat. "You.. don't know how much that means to me. To hear that," she said quietly. She looked down, affected. 

But Liri wasn't finished. Rue's gaze cut upward, and she nodded along as Liri listed the events of the last few moons. Even with the (as Liri put it) "long winded" wind-up, Liri's final question came as quite a shock to Rue. Her brow knit in confusion as her mind whirred. Many wolves had been present for hunts and for the times at which the borders were defended. And Liri could have taken anyone to negotiate those alliances. Rue was neither the most decorated wolf nor the longest-standing member. Liri's beta selection didn't really make sense to her logically, and yet..

And yet, Rue trusted Liri wholeheartedly. If Liri thought that Rue was the best selection... if Rue was the packmate Liri had come to trust the most, just as Rue trusted the alphess most, then who was Rue to question her judgement? Rue was not the type of wolf who stepped easily and comfortably into a position of power and responsibility, but maybe that was what made her the right candidate for the job. Maybe Liri wasn't looking for a ruler or a diciplinarian. Maybe Liri was looking for someone with a softer touch; someone who would work to open lines of communication and strengthen the ties that held their community together. 

"I.. thank you. Thank you, Liri. I.." Rue swallowed again, trying to get her thoughts and words together. "I'm sorry, I'm just surprised," she admitted with a small laugh. "Beta.. is not a position I had ever hoped to imagine for myself." Honestly, if Liri had instead been demoting her to Omega she would have been less surprised. "But if you believe I am the woman for the job, I trust you."

No doubt some of their packmates would raise their brows at Rue's rise in station, and Rue was not looking forward to any uncomfortable encounters -- or stars forbid, confrontations-- that might follow. But she would face all the doubt and bitterness her packmates could summon a thousand times before she would disappoint Liri, the woman who had given Rue a new chance at family. "If.. if I have new responsibilites, I..." Rue trailed off, unsure of what was expected of a Beta or even how to ask. "..I will do my best to fullfill them." She nodded almost to herself, as if reassuring herself that she was capable of this.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"Well, I'm glad to hear it. I'd enjoy the company though, don't feel pressured to come with me. If you need a break to stay at home and rest, then don't be shy about taking one," Liri assured. She could understand how Rue might be ready to stay at home for a time, recharge and whatnot. While the Gamma had the wanderlust in her bones, one sometimes grew weary of wandering as she well knew. She'd had enough of cross country trekking to last her a life time. Scouting had never been in the cards for her. 

She smiled gently at the woman. She could understand - once Aaron had been a brother to her, more so than Leto ever had. No leader had ever matched up to him and in the end, Liri had settled for establishing a pack rather than follow someone besides the long-lost Odolf. 

"No thanks are needed, Rue," she answered. "When we met, I told you I believed you capable. You have more than proved me right, you have earned the title."

"I understand. Alpha did not seem like a rank I would ever hold, let alone after," 
She stopped, clearing her throat awkwardly as the words caught in it, "After, well, everything." Liri would leave Ruenna to guess what stories had been carved into her skin; they were demons she shared with Kavik alone. 

"To be truthful, you have already begun your duties with the aforementioned tasks. Help us lead this pack, to build a home for this family." 

"Thank you for agreeing. It means quite a lot to me, especially since I know this sort of thing makes you uncomfortable," 
she murmured sincerely. The leader leaned forward, rubbing her muzzle against the silver bird. 

The scent of Liri, with hints of Kavik, and authority would perfume Ruenna so that other members were aware of her promotion. 

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue nodded gratefuly at the offer. "I'll take some time to rest up, but I might be ready to travel again once you embark." Rue knew not to count herself out yet; while it seemed at the moment like she could sleep for days, oftentimes extended rest left her feeling... restless.

"There was one more detail," Rue slipped in before the subject changed, "The Elysium woman I spoke with-- Lily-- she knew you and Kavik. You stayed with her once, she said." Lily had seemed to respond fondly enough to hearing Liri's and Kavik's names, but Rue thought Liri should be aware anyway. Judging from the scarred state of Liri's pelt, Rue wasn't going to make any assumptions about anyone from Liri's past, no matter how nice they seemed. 

As the conversation shifted to Rue's new appointment, again Rue's curiosity touched on Liri's past. The ivory alpha had empathized with Rue but more or less talked around the circumstances surrounding her own feelings. Rue was left with the assumption that Liri had thought leadership was out of reach due to her leg deformity. Perhaps in some packs such an injury would have placed a ceiling on one's achievements, but Blacktail Deer Plateau valued more than simply a wolf's physical prowess-- not that Liri's injury really held her back much anyway. 

"I would have to get a whole lot more uncomfortable before I allowed myself to disappoint you, Liri," Rue answered Liri's final statement with a smile. Rue had hoped that she was more or less hiding her discomfort with power and confrontation, but clearly Liri was a perceptive woman. Such perceptiveness only lent credit to her Beta decision, Rue reasoned. Liri must be seeing something in Rue that Rue didn't yet see in herself. Perhaps someday Liri's reasons would become more clear to her loyal (although somewhat baffled) new Beta.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"Well then, I look forward to our travels together." She had to admit, it would feel odd negotiating alliances without Ruenna at her side. The Beta had fallen into the role of ambassador, though she seemed to enjoy it. 

"Lily?" She asked in surprise. She thought of the Sanctuary on occasion but Lily had left before the couple got lost in that raging storm. "When I returned to Teekon I joined a pack called Bracken Sanctuary, I was taken in by a woman named Lily. It's where I later met Kavik." She smiled fondly. "It seems they've moved and changed their name. It would be great if we could ally with them, they're a kind bunch."

"You could not disappoint me, Rue - even if you had refused. Leadership is not a calling everyone feels, but I appreciate you answering it," she smiled. Hopefully in time,  Ruenna could see what Liri saw in her. 

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue smiled; she would also look forward to traveling with Liri once again. Each time the pair made a journey together they returned closer than they departed, and Rue enjoyed the opportunity for quality time with the busy alpha. 

Rue listened to Liri's connection to the Elysium wolves with interest. Lily hadn't mentioned all of that. It seemed to Rue like the former Bracken Sanctuary pack were true friends of Blacktail Deer Plateau, connected by bonds that ran deeper than what made up a simple political alliance. Rue agreed with Liri, "It does sound like there's great potential there."

Rue tilted her head as Liri spoke of callings, as if they were somehow tied to the heart's desires of the wolf being called. Perhaps for others it worked this way, but not for Rue. Her "callings" came from the outside, not the inside, and represented the pack's greatest needs. Whatever the pack needed from her, that was her calling. She thought better of explaining this line of thinking to Liri though, and so she simply smiled and answered, "I'll certainly give it my best."

It seemed that their conversation was drawing to a close, but Rue would wait for the alpha to dismiss her in case there was anything else they needed to discuss. Her mind whirled with brand new thoughts and feelings that this conversation had already instilled, and although she had a million questions about being Beta she also knew that she probably had enough to ponder for today. 

This can be Rue's last post unless they have more to discuss. Just wanted to say, thank you for the PM opportunity! I'm just as surprised/touched/honored as Rue is! <33
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
No problem! Rue's earned it. <3

Liri nodded, a smile gracing her features as she thought of the gentle blackbird. Perhaps they'd have been good friends if Liri and Kavik had never wandered away. Lily herself had left the pack shortly before them but it seemed she'd returned and the healer couldn't wait to speak to her again. 

"That's all anyone can ask for," Liri retorted softly, her tones laced with kindness. "Thank you again," the fae murmured, touching her nose to Ruenna's shoulder briefly - an act of familial affection that had followed her from the winterlands of the north - before heading back to the Door to let Kavik know that the silver had agreed to be their Beta.