Blacktail Deer Plateau Don't you tell me what you think that I could be
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
She ignored the turmoil amongst their ranks, figuring that Grezig would find some solution to solve her problems, and turned to her usual distraction of hard work. Between caring for the ill @Elixir (visibility) and defending their borders with renewed vigor given the coyote attack, the healer found time to check her herbs. 

The cairns remained dry, thanks to the stacking of the stones, and her medicines too seemed in good condition. After the atrium had been wrecked, it seemed prudent to move the supplies to a safer location - one of the dens within the Door that was unoccupied. It would be nearly impossible for any creature to sneak past and destroy the life-saving plants without her notice. 

Paws muddied as she trekked through the withered forest, the sylph carried the medicines in her jaws mouthful by mouthful to store them in their new spot. 
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Just going to pop in for a quick convo @Liri. I'm assuming this takes place after Rue's promotion & before Grezig's departure.

Liri's scent hung heavily over the Door, indicating to Rue that the alpha was nearby. It had been Rue's intention to only stop by the Door for a quick bite to eat, but perhaps Liri's presence was a sign from the stars that it was time for Rue to speak with her about some of the thoughts she'd been having. 

Rue stopped at the entrance to the Door, poking her nose in to check for Liri. She heard a rustling over her shoulder and looked back toward the forest to see Liri emerging from the trees. "Hi, Liri," Rue chirped, brightening at the sight of her friend.

Rue's face fell a little when she saw the herbs in the healer's mouth. "Oh no-- is someone else sick?" Rue was aware that Elixir had been under the weather with something contagious. The last thing they needed was for another wolf to get sick just when Elixir was on the mend.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
The fae's oak eyes lifted in surprise to settle on Ruenna. With a wag of her tail, the leader began to speak only for a muffled sound to escape her mouth around the herbs. Sheepishly, she lowered the bundle to the mossy forest floor. 

"Hello, Rue," she murmured, a friendly smile gracing her worn features. The situation with Grezig, the canid intruders, her exposure to Elixir's illness - all were beginning to take their toll. 

"No, not at the moment. It just seemed prudent to move the herbs to a safe place for the winter - where they won't be scavenged by prey animals or damaged by snowfall." 

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
"Thank the stars," Rue sighed out, relieved to hear that no one else was sick. Although that did leave Rue to wonder why Liri still looked.. worn down, somehow. "I'm happy to help," the Beta offered as Liri explained what she was doing. The back-and-forth trips would allow them a chance to catch up, Rue figured.  "I've been wondering what was going on with Elixir, and how you've been treating her." Perhaps Liri had already moved some of the relevant herbs within the Door, and she would be able to show Rue.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Liri blinked slightly in surprise, wondering if Ruenna knew of the northern lore and the ancestors Liri worshipped. The stars were considered to be sacred, the souls of those who had passed. It was believed that the soul rose from the body, lifting to the heavens where it was born again into another part of the universe - the stars. 

"Aye, thank the ancestors," the northron murmured softly, tired dark eyes lifting to the blue sky. "They've smiled on our pack through the summer and autumn." But would they be so lucky in the winter? Liri could feel something in her chest, something doubtful. Grezig's drama, the bear attack, the coyotes and the foxes eating from their caches, Elixir's illness, the tension amongst some of the pack mates - it seemed to indicate that times would be getting harder and all too soon. 

"And I would be happy for it, how about on my next trip you can help carry some supplies back?" For now, Liri was just grateful for the company. Her head had been feeling light, her vision skewered as if the colors were too bright or the world altered somehow. Perhaps the companionship of her friend would take her mind off the migraine beginning to pound against her temples. 

"She has greencough, I'm afraid. Nasty disease. It's the next stage up from whitecough. It clogs your lungs making it harder to breath and leaving the mucus to drain from your nose and mouth. It makes you tired, feverish, all that fun stuff - and if left untreated turns into blackcough for which there is no cure once it sets in." The healer explained grimly around her herbs as they walked through the forest, slightly muffled as she spoke. 

"I've been using lavender, catnip, and coltsfoot to treat her. Thankfully it seems that Elixir's whitecough only recently progressed into greencough, she should be right as rain again soon."

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Liri agreed with her sentiment, but with one small ammendment: she likened the stars to ancestors. This was not quite the belief Rue was raised to hold, but she found that she rather liked Liri's variation. At times a star felt like an excessively cold, distant, foreign body to entrust with a prayer. But an ancestor? An ancestor was actually a person, and more importantly... an ancestor was always on your side.

Instead of commenting, Rue simply nudged Liri reassuringly. Liri hadn't said anything out loud that hinted at her inner doubts, but for some unspoken reason the perceptive beta thought that her comfort would be appreciated in this moment. 

"Certainly," Rue agree to Liri's request for assistance. She was always glad to be of use, and the prospect injected a spring in her step. 

Rue's high spirits were short lived; she seemed to deflate more and more as Liri described Elixir's affliction. It truly sounded like a nasty ailment. "The ancestors still smile then," Rue reassured Liri, referring to Elixir's anticipated recovery. Although Rue was still turning the idea of ancestors over in her mind, she found the words were easy and a comfort to speak-- perhaps for Liri, but also for herself.

Going to let things fade here :)