Ocean's Breath Plateau looking back, i almost thought i heard you say
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
All Welcome 
naturalist thread III ; meteorologist dabbling
the plateau-- she equated it with home, the salt-kissed winds from the ocean as the clouds slowly rolled in overhead-- amatsu took a deep breath in, filling her chest with the saline air before exhaling with a dreamy sigh. the view of the ocean from where she had been standing was nothing less than divine; the subtle sparkle of the water underneath the sunlight in the cold winter air caused her body to relax-- she had felt safe here. the way the plateau overlooked the coast was something out of a storybook, however what she was most interested in was the sky.
laying down, she titled her muzzle upwards to observe the clouds. the way they move, the direction, feeling the wind on her fur as she pondered about the weather. born of storms, she could commonly tell when they were coming-- or she thought so, anyway. the air, although salty and cold, did not smell of storms. sniffing the atmosphere, there wasn't much she could make of it-- the air was cold, salty, the slightest bit humid... the clouds, although not dark, were slowly starting to consume the sky; sunlight struggling to peek out. the shuck's tail swayed lightly on the ground as she continued to fill her senses, a desire to understand and predict the clouds growing-- she was the goddess of storms, after all, and while she might not be able to control the weather... it was in her best interest, perhaps, to learn more about it.
maybe, the more she learns, the more she'll understand herself.
maybe one day, amatsu will be able to predict when the next god is being born.
☆ a m a t s u m a g a t s u c h i 
the west wind is silent.
i am simply there to fill gaps between the others,
never to be felt on my own.
i am blank, now, but a breeze once blew through me.
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
In their travels to places new to them, the Ostrega yearlings had only just set out. The landmark meant to serve as their turning point loomed just in the periphery of their route, and made brave by success so far, Jarilo decided he wanted to branch out and explore a bit before they really got to the meat of the intended voyage: soon, they would turn their heading south and head for the depths of Tuktu. However for now, he was charmed by the scent of ocean, and maybe hungry enough to prowl for a meal if he got lucky enough to find a lead on one before he turned back. Most of all, he sought to go scope it out and do as this venture off the mountain intended: see what he has not seen before.

He let his sister know where he was planning, and honestly, assumed she might want to rove a little independently too—so the two remained in vague enough earshot, so he hoped, as he found his way to the plateau. Unless she wanted to join him any sooner, he would be back shortly, and they could rest up before the next leg of travel.

When he could finally open up an earnest trot across the plateau, it granted him a familiar view of the horizon, only closer to the sea than where he usually looked from. He was used to heights, clear vistas, and wide open views of the skies, so he adapted well beneath company he kept.

In searching for prey, and admiring the unfamiliar landscapes, he found a wolf instead. The course of his little trot was set to carry him past her, but he slowed up when he could make out more of her to indeed confirm she matched the scent. Tipping his muzzle curiously towards the stranger, he didn't say anything yet despite all of his wondering what she was doing here exactly.
oooo he can prob use some naturalist stuff too (and @Vela tag for ref bc i'm saying this is right after this and before whatever thread i make for them next next >>; )
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
oh yay <3
losing herself in the sky was something the silverpelt shuck was good at. her mind would ruminate of times long and since passed-- as well as times that have yet to come. she's so good at deattaching herself from the physical realm, that she almost doesn't notice the subtle pawsteps of one that had almost come to pass. in a dreamlike state still, she lazily turns her head towards the creature that had trotted up behind her. a brilliant creature, they were-- sporting a dark grey pelt with a black peppered throughout-- with a seafoam gaze that caught her attention instantly.
rather than talking, she crooned quietly at the wolf behind her-- motioning lightly with her head for them to join her. she wasn't sure if they would, or if they had even wanted the company, but it wouldn't hurt to try. with a slight wag of her tail, she relaxed her posture moreso than it already was to indicate that they were more than welcome, if they so desired.
the west wind is silent.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
When she did not greet him negatively, he almost hesitated about stalling here when his very purpose in leaving the mountain was to cover ground and distance alike. But, he also wanted to know more about all aspects, and sometimes, with others was a useful avenue. The wave of her tail, although gentle, was enough to start to pull his paws closer.

Hi, he called out, nose pointed at the sterling-furred stranger as his eyes narrowed into a bit of a squint. He hadn't misinterpreted the summons, hopefully, yet so far nothing about this wolf looked outright ready to turn aggressive over the prospect of his presence. Neither did she smell like anywhere he knew to be concerned about, as well as he could tell already.

However down in the elevations, he presented an even blend of neutrality and curiosity by default.. although he was careful about being guarded still, subtly so. Busy out here? he asked with a lightness to his voice and soft sway to his tail.
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
to her delight, the wolf shifted his paws subtly forward at her motions; comforting to her, to know that she doesn't always need to talk to get a point across. she eyed the dark-coated canine thoughtfully, taking in his appearance from muzzle to tailtip without shame, before turning her attention back to the sky. the stranger had broken their silence with a greeting, for which the sylph responded. ,,hello,'' she noticed a slight sway in his tail-- a welcoming sign, she thought. amatsu hadn't really thought many things through before acting, but she had a feeling that this interaction was free of any malice.

the peppered corvid kept his guard up ever so slightly, it might as well have been unnoticeable. a question escaped his lips, lingering in the air as the colder atmosphere slowly consumed it whole. ,,busy? oh, no,'' came her response, ,,i'm just observing the sky. trying to calm down. trying to understand.'' her voice was quiet & shaky as always. the last few interactions she had with others taught her to maybe not say she's divine. maybe they shouldn't know she was born or the sky and storms themselves; that the lightning and rumble of thunder are her closest siblings.
the west wind is silent.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Greetings exchanged, and wordlessly, he felt like they struck some sort of balance. No malice, then, and with that much in mind, it guided his next course. When she mentioned sky, he looked away from her with some ease coming across his expression. Somehow, that made her feel like more familiar kinds of company.

He came from wolves with their eyes on the sky. While he trended more to the earth, where his own paws to press into, he.. understood. Well. Relatively. He trained with them often, so some grasp was definitely secondhand to simple time spent with them. But that was why it was so easy for him to just know, and feel it too. I see, he said. Any luck? There's a lot to understand up there. the sterling yearling gave a soft sigh to punctuate, and maybe he was still catching his breath after being on the move for so long, so steadily. Here too, he added, nosing down off towards the sea and its horizon. Stationary felt strange to his burning muscles, but with every exhale, he tried to relax. He even took a careful seat nearby her spot.. but not all too close.

Anyway, he looked away from her silvery furs again and traced the outlines of the clouds, then the vastness beyond. It seemed humid to him, too, but he was not so good as storms as his mother. He hadn't been around long enough yet. I'm Jarilo. he offered, perhaps somewhat suddenly, but with a soft gust of courage, he was outright with what she could maybe remember him by.
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
the wolf took a careful seat by her, a distance away-- although she was grateful to have company nonetheless. his expression relaxed as she mentioned the sky, as if she had struck something deep inside his soul at the mention of the heavens. ,,some,'' she responded to his questioning with a simple word; there were plenty of things she understood about the angleic domains beyond what mere mortals could grasp, beyond what their virgin eyes could comprehend. the sky itself, although born of it, was shrouded in earthly mystery to the deity. the seafoam-eyed beast gave a short motion towards the ocean, and she nodded in agreement. although more foreign to her, the conversation she could muster with the creatures that lived far beyond the trenches, the stories the told her, the riddles they gave; they could all be repeated, word for word.

his gaze turned back towards the sky, with his name coming shortly after. ,,amatsumagatsuchi,'' she responded to him with her own name although acutely aware that it could definitely be interperted as some sort of otherworldy response. shortly after she clarified, ,,just call me amatsu.'' her rhythm steady, not missing a single beat as she continued talking whilst she scented the air. ,,the way the clouds are moving... the humidity, i believe we might be getting a small storm soon.'' she went on to explain the formations to him, the vague ramblings of someone who knew all too much but wasn't entirely sure how to describe it.
the west wind is silent.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Some? Better than none, then, he tailed in with right after her answer, speaking lightly enough for he was still feeling out this encounter, and attempting to understand it.

When something else struck him as vaguely familiar, though he knew he had never heard that name before, it was.. still interesting enough, even in short form. At first he almost did not piece it together, he was briefly distracted by the majestic turns of the word.. but no, it was her title, perhaps fittingly so (he didn't know yet). He didn't come here to insult her with any attempts of that on his tongue, either, but that was a notion he hoped to remember somehow. Interesting name.. he grinned fleetingly, and switched his tail, unsure of how to convey how it reminded of the stories of his mother's myths, and how she could smoothly address names and titles sort of like those--winding and interesting, to his ears anyway.

I'd believe it. How soon.. do you think? he asked, squinting heavenward again as if some answers may spell out there so plainly, though he knew well it was never easy to put the weather to a timeline. He was, however, needing to consider his and Vela's travels. Maybe a snow? Or more rain? he asked as well, trying to pick for more thoughts on the matter, if she might have them since she seemed to have some kind of eye for it.
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
she noticed his expression change as she mentioned her name-- it was almost a look of recognition, a spark of long-lost rememberance shot across his gaze like a lightning strike. her name travelled through his senses as his tail lightly swayed behind him. he strayed away from any attempts to pronounce her full name--which she didn't mind. to most it's completely foreign, and to that she understood. ,,probably snow,'' her answer came after glancing a short time-- the clouds rolled with promise of a downfall & the shiver in the air simply could make rain freeze upon immediate contact. ,,i'm not sure how soon... maybe the next day or two?'' the heavens above only could predict exactly when they would empty. ,,it's been windy lately. it's a tad concerning-- i hope the wind doesn't cause too much damage.'' her fur bristled as her crown turned upwards, her heart thrummed in her chest as waves lapped the shoreline, the tide slowly moving inwards as the night cracked open, spilling starlit blood over the earth.
the west wind is silent.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Well enough, her prediction for snow seemed reasonable given everything around, and where they were in the grand scheme seasons-wise. He took a pause to admired the bite to the wind, and the distinct scent of sea mixing in with it. Much different than the crispness he was accustomed to, but certainly with a charm all its own. It's been rainy on the mountain, lately. But we did get some considerable snow before that—even before the trees dropped leaves, he mentioned. I don't know about closer to the coast, exactly, but I guess it's probably all due for more snow anyway, he mused. He couldn't say if the more coastal regions saw any of the same of what he was used to further inland. With only a handful more than a year's worth of experience on him, he could only guess at rightful best.

I hope not.. he agreed swiftly enough with ears that fell back at the thought. He and Vela could deal with snow; so long as conditions didn't turn straight to blizzard, he knew that wouldn't be trouble.. but wind was a more sly foe, he thought. Does the wind get bad sometimes here by the sea? I only.. visit, he mentioned, infinitely curious of life by the seashore, however. Knowing that his father had been born to these places, in the Bay not too far away even, helped foster these feelings in him.. and now getting to find out more for himself was proving to be satisfying.
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
his question rang in her head-- he asked about the coast, the weather by the sea-- she wasn't sure how aware he was of the sea's wrath that demanded such intense respect. ,,it can get pretty bad, yeah,'' her response came softly as his statement came to a close. ,,it gets worse on the sea itself, as you might be able to imagine.'' her gaze turned towards the heavens once more, focused on the blanket of clouds as the sun struggled to peek is light outwards. a feeling of sickness bubbled up in her stomach as she observed-- the clouds rolled atop one another, slowly consuming the sky in their darkness... something felt wrong. ,,if we do get a storm i'm sure the winds will only get worse.''
the west wind is silent.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Besides his few, relatively brief visits, during which the sea and the weather around had been comparatively tame over what it could do, his interpretation was largely up to his imagination. At best he knew bad storms upon the mountains, and how the wind could whip and conditions turn straight hazardous rather quickly during any time of the year given the conditions; the sea, its waves, and all of it stretching out to the faraway horizons had to add a new element that he could only guess about, and none of it was all too pretty given the roil of the skies to match the waves. But in compiling together what others had shared with him, between now and times before, he could feel almost confident in what he could conjure.

He squinted out to the churning clouds, dark, heavy, and undoubtedly active--maybe even more so by the moment? That spiked its own concerns, and he tried not to let worry take root just yet. Looks like they might be getting worse.. he said, having dropped his volume and found he was almost hesitant to voice it at all, so not to put the idea out there.

My sister and I are scouting, heading south from here. I should find her before this really rolls in, he mentioned as he rose to his feet, and though he was loathe to peel his eyes from the skies, he glanced to Amatsu, not really wanting to go. He barely felt finished with the encounter, but that was how it went sometimes. He knew he should find Vela sooner rather than later and start to veer their route inland before these skies came in and battered the coast, and nearby. Thanks, and.. Be safe, alright..? he asked, forcing a lilt of hopefulness into his tone. Maybe their paths would cross again on a less ominous day, but he wouldn't know for sure.

The yearling lingered for a last farewell before he'd kick up his heels and go on the search for his speckled littermate.
no cost too great
62 Posts
Ooc — nil
Away
her words did not go unnoticed: for the darkened, emerald-eyed traveller corroborated her words with his own.
not long after the words escaped his throat, the yearling stood up. tearing his eyes away from the heavens seemed like an internal battle he had to overcome to urge to succumb to-- this, she understood.
a final goodbye lingered in the air, ending in a curteous be safe from a stranger she had just met. amatsu nodded, watching as the black-cloaked wolf kicked his heels up, dashing into the distance, fading away with time.
she lingered for a second, pushing her body upwards and shaking out her fur, before turning her snout away from the clouds above; trotting across the plains, back to the bay of which she'd made a home.
the west wind is silent.