NPC
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
All Welcome 
Eljay had spent some time with @Raven that morning about healing the wounded. Eljay had taken in a whole lot of new information, and though he knew that odds were very small that he'd actually find something -- Raven had told him so, too -- he set out with a light heart. Though this place still wasn't his favourite place to live, the prospect of travelling to Redhawk Caldera to see how it was doing made Eljay feel light-hearted and happier. He often wished that they could move back to the Caldera, and though it wasn't exactly moving, Eljay would love to just spend a few days there with Wiffle, just.. getting away from this dump, and feeling the familiar feels of home.

With that cheer bouncing through in his steps the Blackthorn set off. He avoided the marshy bits of the territory, but found a place near the water where there were still some plants growing. Eljay started to scratch away snow to see if he could find anything other than grass, hoping to find some useful herbs.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
While she knew this wolf was a friend of her mom's, Kiwi hadn't yet introduced herself to many.  Probably time to change that since it seemed like this was where they were sticking around for a while.

Kiwi approached sedately and watched him for a minute, scratching at the ground.  What are you looking for? She asked curiously.  She hadn't spent much time around Portia, so healing wasn't in her wheelhouse.  If you are lookin for game trails, you're going to ruin them like that, she added, with a slight smile.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Unfortunately all he got was grass so far under the thick layer of snow. Eljay sniffed the ground trying to find out if there were any herbs nearby that he could use instead. He looked up when he heard a voice; Eljay'd been so lost in thought he hadn't noticed anyone approaching. He didn't instantly recognise the youth, but then figured it must be one of Wildfire's children that he hadn't yet met, judging by the age.

It took Eljay a moment to register what she said and then he shook his head. "Oh, no -- I'm looking for herbs." He frowned as he looked at the patch of grass and dirt he'd uncovered. "but it's tough, with the snow. Oh, I'm Eljay, by the way." He smiled softly as he introduced himself.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh. Good, that made way more sense than tracking like that, and she was glad to learn he wasn't just an idiot like she had first assumed. Never knew, right?  I'm Kiwi.  What kind of herbs are you looking for?  Her introduction was distracted, immediately followed by a question as she eyed the pawmarks he had begun making.  The promise of learning was all over this, and she wasn't going to miss out.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled softly when Kiwi introduced herself. He'd hoped to meet some of Wildfire's kids, so he felt quite lucky that one of them had just run into him and he didn't have to go look for them. Eljay was even more thrilled to find that Kiwi asked him about the herbs. For a moment he wondered if she was actually interested in the herbs or if it was more of a courtesy thing where she just asked to avoid an awkward silence. Regardless of the intent, Eljay was all about avoiding them awkward silences so he eagerly started explaining: "I'm looking for herbs that you put on wounds so they heal better, or that you make wolves chew." He paused a short moment to gauge interest before he added: "Raven's teaching me about how to take care of wounds and such. It's hard to find them in winter, though, because a lot of them die, but maybe I'll find some moss -- that's good for putting on wounds."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
That was interesting.  She'd learned hunting, and learned fighting, but she'd never gotten around to asking Portia about healing.  While she wasn't sure if she wanted to be a healer (she had other goals), she wanted to try it, and learn what she could.  

What's the herb called, and look like? she asked, poking at the earth with a paw herself.  I don't think I've met Raven.  She's your healer? If she was like Portia she was probably super nice, if a little boring.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
It was good that Kiwi was interested in what he was doing -- Eljay smiled at the questions, though he wasn't the best teacher at these things yet. He was still learning, too. Oh, there's several. If you find anything that's still kinda planty, let me know. Eljay wasn't sure how else to describe plants having their green or flowers than 'planty'. And moss is just kinda soft and squishy. He was not too sure if Kiwi knew about moss, but it was always better to over-explain than assume.

Meanwhile, Eljay rooted around in the snow carefully, hoping to find something good, while he asked casually, (or tried to be casual, anyway) So, do you like it here so far? Eljay hoped on the one hand that Kiwi would enjoy it, but a part of him also felt like they should be out exploring the Caldera instead of this dump.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It seemed he couldn't explain, and Kiwi's attention turned a little critical. Was he not sure or did he think she just wasn't smart enough to learn it? Because if he thought that she'd set him straight real quick.  I know what moss is, she replied, watching him a minute before going a short ways away to nose around for plants.  Knowing Eljay, his face likely didn't read too much in the way of overconfident underestimation of her.

It's ok, she replied, though it was an unsure response.  Then she looked over at him again.  How long has Bat been here?  She tried to keep her voice casual as she said this, similar to him, but she was far less successful.  There was definitely a tension there.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Hopefully Kiwi didn't feel too babied or overexplained, Eljay thought, when she said that she knew what moss was. Of course she knew that. But just in case she didn't... Eljay knew that his own siblings hadn't all had much interest in herbs of any sort. He was not too sure Tegan could point out any sort of herb, at least. But then again, maybe moss was general knowledge enough. Eljay's face indeed did not show any overconfident underestimation -- if anything, it showed a bit of apology because he wondered if explaining moss was too dumbed down -- and he looked away to pretend to search on as Kiwi looked at him.

Eljay was glad to have some company as he searched. He didn't read a lot of enthusiasm from Kiwi's response, but then, he wasn't all that enthusiastic for this place either. Eljay hadn't expected the question about Bat, though maybe he should've. He sensed the tension and awkwardly replied, "Oh, uh.." Then thought for a second or two before tacking on: "I think a few months..? I haven't really properly met Bat yet, though." For this Eljay was a little embarrassed, because he felt he should've already met Bat in those few months. Then maybe he would've been able to tell a little more about how she was doing and all that. "Did uh.. did you miss her..?" Eljay was not actually too sure why Wiffle and Kiwi'd come here; had they been looking for Bat? Were they planning to stay for the long run?
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Unfortunately for Eljay, his apologetic tone fell on somewhat deaf ears.  Kiwi could generally read someone if she tried; problem was, she only really tried it with wolves like her mom or Sequoia.  Anyone else she wasn't too much interested.  What he was doing and teaching was way more interesting than how he was responding to her snappy remarks.  

She was surprised and honestly a little pleased when he said he hadn't met her sister yet.  Though the next question made her pause a second.  Honest answer? Yes.  No.  She ran away without telling anyone.  Why should I? It was a clearly rhetorical question, and her voice was clipped.  Your family is here right?
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay noticed there was emotion in the response, and it wasn't a good kind of emotion. He instantly shrank a little -- though this was subconscious, he didn't realise it himself -- and said: Oh, um, I'm sorry. I didn't... I didn't know. He hadn't a clue that Bat had not said good bye to her family first. Eljay wondered if his family thought this poorly of him when he was in Drageda, too.

Then Eljay realised he should also answer the question and, a little belatedly, said: Yes, I was born -- in this pack, though at a different place, Redhawk Caldera. It's a lot prettier than here.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
You shouldn't be, it isn't your fault. She looked at him, but her tone backed off a little then.  She was starting to get the sense he wasn't the most confident wolf and while part of her was a little smug about it, another was hesitant to be too mean about it.  He wasn't being mean to her after all.

Mom talked about it a little.  That's where she's from too, but I've never been. She wasn't sure if she was going to go when they went in the spring either, though I assume she knew about it.  It didn't sound super interesting.  What did you like about it?
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled appreciatively when Kiwi said that he shouldn't feel too bad about it. Anyway, as for Redhawk Caldera, Eljay interestedly asked, Are you coming when we visit it in the spring? Then realising that maybe it would be better to answer her question about the Caldera first he went on to tell: It's... There's a lot of water there, and the views are really nice. And it's not as... Soggy as here. Admittedly, a large part of what he hated about this place was just... This place, maybe, rather than only the homesickness to the Caldera. It's hard to put in words, but it's this feeling when you're there, it's... It would be nice if you would come to see it.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
I don't know.  It's just a place, right? Usually Kiwi wasn't one to turn down a learning opportunity, but this was one she didn't see as super important.  No offense. He was nice enough though... maybe he would trade?

Maybe you could teach me some healing?  Then I would go.  She wanted to know more about how this stuff worked, and he seemed to know some.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
It was hardly 'just a place' to Eljay and hearing someone else call it that was almost a bit like sacrilege to him. It showed on his face, as he looked like he'd seen a ghost for a few seconds before he swallowed that feeling and managed to tuck it away again. He didn't say anything more about it, at least, not before Kiwi suggested that he could teach her some healing in exchange.

Eljay wasn't too sure why it was important that Kiwi come along, but somehow it felt like it was. He couldn't quite explain why; maybe because he wanted to share this feeling with as many wolves as he could, or just because she was Wiffle's child. Regardless, it was nice enough to share this moment with Kiwi and teach her some things; Eljay always liked helping others. He would've taught her things if there hadn't been anything in exchange, too. "Yeah, of course!" He smiled widely. "I mean -- I'm not as good as Raven, but I can teach you what I know." He'd forgotten a moment that he was searching for herbs, and reminded of it, he looked down at the snow. Still nothing. Maybe he should give up for the day..
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He didn't seem to like her description, but in her mind it was accurate, so she assumed he was just... I don't know... having indigestion or something.

He did take her up on her deal, though, and she felt excitement quicken in her as he did.  Yes! If she could learn about healing and stuff, that had to be useful, and anything useful was one hundred percent interesting in her books.  Okay! Her tone lifted, then calmed down a bit, because she didn't need to be too over the top about it.  Deal then.  Show me what you know and I'll go.

It didn't have to be now, if he was busy.  But she still paused after agreeing, in case he was planning on diving right in.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled as Kiwi agreed on the deal. He wasn't really sure still why he wanted her to come, but regardless he never minded teaching others, especially young wolves, and this was Wiffle's kid, too. Alright! Uhm, I need some time to prepare what to say -- I mean, how to, you know, to sort what I know in my head so I know what I could teach you first. Eljay wasn't sure any of what he had just said made sense, but he hoped it did anyway. See you soon..? he carefully suggested, afraid she might feel ripped off because he was trying to postpone the teachings. But it felt best for him now, because he'd just sound weird and like he just sounded all the time if he would try and hastily sort and teach what Raven'd taught him just now. He thought Kiwi deserved something better than that.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Okay. She made mental note of it, because she was definitely going to hold him to it.  She wanted to learn what he knew and would be bothering him at some point to make good on it if he didn't bother her first.  Then she'd go see his caldera or whatever it was.

Later, then. She added decisively, then gave a small nod and left him to it, padding off to find someone else to bother.  Doubtless someone was doing something interesting around here, or at least more interesting than prodding at the snow.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Later, he said decidedly, and Eljay started making his way somewhere else. He kinda wanted to search more for the herb, but he'd get to that later, or maybe search somewhere else. Mostly he just wanted to avoid that awkward situation when you said good-bye and nobody left. Eljay didn't realise until he took a few steps that Kiwi was actually leaving him to it, but since he was already in motion he felt it would be awkward to stop now and kept on moving.

After they'd left each other's views, Eljay returned to the spot to continue his search for some herbs, though he ended up finding nothing that day.