Sun Mote Copse Stop and stare
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Snow drifted down gently from the pale mid-morning sky as Wildfire approached the copse, her heart aflutter. About a week ago, she had let @Raven and @Quixote know that she would be formally departing soon to begin establishing Firebirds, a little earlier than previously planned to get fully abreast of breeding season. Between now and then, she'd spent quite a lot of time here, assessing borderlines, caches, dens and even a rendezvous site, among other things.

She'd spoken to her sister again just this morning. It's go time, Wildfire mused, thinking of the words one of her nieces had used while playing games. She smiled. It clung to her lips as she raised her head and howled, "@Kiwi? @Sequoia? Are you here?" She hadn't found them on the plateau and she knew they already spent a lot of time here. "It's go time!"

Wondering if her soft call might actually carry to the plateau as well, Wildfire smiled to herself and squatted right where she stood, yellowing the snow. She then began to slowly roam around the boundaries she'd decided on previously, marking them now with a scuff of her paws or a sprinkle of urine every few yards. Her daughters would join her soon, others too, and before the long the copse would be theirs.
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
As per usual, Finbar's experience was usually one that was fate-ridden, so it just happened to be luck (or something along those lines) that brought him to the Copse on that particular day, admiring how the snowflakes hung onto the branches, laughing softly as his warm breath caused some of the snow to fall right onto the bridge of his muzzle. When he heard the call, he realized he was actually very close by to whoever it was that had called out- and it was a soft, gentle voice, one that reminded him of his mother's. He wondered who they were, and why 'go time' sounded so excited. He was the curious sort, and had begun to meander toward the caller when he crossed her path, first. And from what he could tell when he saw her footprints and the markings in the snow- he'd interrupted 'go time' and it appeared as though she was marking borders. 

Intrigued, and taking this as a sign- as he often did- Finbar trotted along after her, still entirely unsure of which side of her markings he should be on, considering he'd been in the copse as she'd begun marking, and her trail led along some border that was too short yet for him to decide whether he was inside of the markings or just outside of them. A smarter wolf might have cleared out of the area completely, but he couldn't help himself. This had to be a sign; everything he wandered into, he embraced. This was no different. 

He picked up the pace, and was huffing softly by the time he caught sight of the female in the distance, her slim build and red pelt standing out against the wintery background. "Oh, hey there?" He called out, his light voice high and chipper. Assuming that she was marking and that this meant she was also an alpha, he lowered his head and tail- but the latter waved from side to side gleefully as he continued to approach, hoping she might grant him an audience.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When someone emerged from deeper inside the copse, Wildfire straightened and turned to greet one of the girls. But it wasn't Kiwi or Sequoia; it was a perfect stranger. She felt a strong feeling of possessiveness thrill through her and nearly curtailed it. But these were her lands now, just weeks if not days from being claimed formally. She was well within her rights to ask—even force—interlopers to leave. They were trespassers now.

But Wildfire knew her claim was very tentative, not just because of the brand new markers but because there were only three pledged members so far, two of them youths. She would have to be careful and err on the side of diplomacy. It suited her better anyway, so she quelled her territorial urges after all and stirred her black tail as the unfamiliar wolf moved nearer, his own body language respectful despite the freshness of Wildfire's markings.

"Hello there," she replied, chestnut eyes assessing his burly gray figure. "Welcome to Sun Mote Copse, home of the Firebirds." It was technically their future home, but as of today, Wildfire would be living here. Besides, it was simply exciting to get to say that. Her small smile grew a little as she regarded him.
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
When he wasn't chased off or turned away with a snarl, Finbar's confidence grew, as did the hopeful look on his features. She described the name of not only the territory he was in, but the name of something else that belonged there- Firebirds. Instinctively, he cast a glance up into the sky and flinched. Whatever a firebird was, he'd never seen one before, and they sounded pretty dangerous. 

"Firebirds?" He asked, casting a glance past Wildfire, and then up into the branches again. "They don't hurt wolves, do they? I've never heard of a firebird before," He admitted somewhat sheepishly. His knowledge of birds in general wasn't the best, but he was able to call one to mind that might've suited the description. "OH- do you mean cardinals? They're red, like fire- but they're not actually fire birds," He said with a sheepish, apologetic grin. He shook his head. She probably thought he was bonkers, going on as though something called a firebird actually existed- and that they could simply drop out of the sky and burn him, or something along those lines.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wildfire arched a brow, her smile growing further in amusement. They were perfect strangers, so she couldn't say if he was being thick or if he was just being silly. She decided it didn't really matter; she'd treat him politely just the same.

"It's the name of the pack I'm building here," she explained, "and the name comes from the nickname my parents gave their collective children. We're a sister pack to the Redhawks on the plateau about an hour or two west of here. I'm Wildfire Redhawk." Her dark tail waved again as she tipped her head, hoping for his own introduction.
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Finbar’s reaction to her clarification was to chuckle softly to himself, feeling a bit bashful that he’d literally thought that firebirds lived here...And that they were actually, fiery birds. Apparently this was the name if the pack, and she was just in the process of establishing the borders he’d noticed earlier.

”That’s a cool name for a pack,” He said with a nod. ”Can I help you out? You seem, like, really nice. I’m Fluke, by the way- “Finbar Finchley” officially, but I always got called Fluke.” He said with a glimmer in his jade eyes. He winked one of them. ”I’m usually pretty lucky.”
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
His offer took her entirely by surprise. Wildfire's mouth opened and closed, then opened again to say, "Actually, yes, we could use some help. What sorts of things are you good at, Fluke? It's nice to meet you, by the way. You can call me Wifi if you like."

Waowe, short post is short!
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Another wolf might have taken the fact that she was marking the borders by herself to mean that the pack hadn't exactly formed yet- and that he might actually do better elsewhere. But he still strongly believed that his path would always lead him to where he needed to be- and happening across Wildfire- or Wifi, as she advised him- seemed to be a sign, and he'd always been told to never ignore those. She asked him what he was good at, and honestly, he didn't have much of an answer right off the bat. 

"Helping, mostly," He laughed, and shrugged one of his thick shoulders. "There isn't really anything that I'm amazing at on my own- but I work really well with others. You can pretty much put me to work with anyone doing anything and it'll work." He said with a merry smile. "I could help you with marking the borders? If you want? If you just lead the way, that is. I mean, I'm better at things....Other than just....Peeing here and there," He said with a bashful smile. He really wasn't the best at explaining himself- but in the very least, he knew how to endear himself to others relatively well.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
He admitted that he wasn't particularly specialized, though he liked helping. He offered to assist with marking the borders. Wildfire looked at him thoughtfully, taking in his brawny build. They'd only known one another five minutes, if that, but she thought he seemed eager to please. Building skills was important to her—a leftover from Drageda, which she would readily admit—and her ranking system would be built accordingly.

"Sure, you can start there. But you should know that I'm building this pack to emphasize the pursuit of trades. Wolves—even young ones—who've earned them will be ranked above those who haven't. I'll encourage all my assembly—members without trades—to work toward becoming part of the entourage: tradesmen. Once I get to know you better, I can make a better assessment... but if you'd like to help with marking and patrolling, perhaps you can work toward mercenary?"
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Wildfire began to explain her expectations, and he felt himself becoming more and more keen on impressing her and doing whatever it was that she needed him to do for the pack- which in this case was apparently working on his tradesmanship. Always eager to please, he listened to her intently, practically fawning over her now that she'd agreed to take him in. He focused only on listening to her, and didn't even begin to brainstorm what kind of trade might suit him- and though he was happy to mark the borders and patrol them, the very word 'mercenary' instantly made him think of a warrior or soldier, and his ears turned back slightly, showing his hesitation clearly. 

"I like patrolling, and marking, but I'm...I'm not much of a fighter...And I don't think I'd ever make a good one," He said, and gave her a shy, somewhat lopsided smile. "I'm all fluff, no fight," He admitted sheepishly. Through his mind, memories of being picked on for his size flashed in front of his eyes, and though he'd been kicked around and picked on, he'd never had the passion or anger to fight back. The same still remained true today; though he was massive, he wasn't exactly fit, nor was he adept at fighting or defending himself. "I'd be better at stopping a fight than getting into one," He said, knowing he had to tell Wifi something positive about himself. "And I just...I like people, and I LOVE taking care of kids. Maybe not the usual, uhm...Set of skills for someone, like me," He said, meaning both his gender and his size, "But I'll do trades for sure. I won't let you down," He said, still abashedly hoping she'd accept the fact that he couldn't- and wouldn't- fight.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She chortled at his next admission. "Same here, really," Wildfire shared. She could really use some guardians and warriors, though she would rather her recruits pursued their passions, their strengths, than try to force themselves into roles that didn't suit them. She would take Fluke's word for it that he wouldn't make a good mercenary, despite his stature.

"Maybe a caregiver or counselor then," she thought aloud. "Anyway, there's plenty of time for you to decide. There's no deadline and you won't be cast out if you don't earn a trade, either," Wildfire clarified. She had definitely borrowed some customs from Drageda, past and present, and cast aside others, the ones that had never sat right with her.

"Tell me more about yourself, Fluke," Wildfire invited even as she motioned for him to begin walking with her along the borderlines. "Where did you come from?"
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Fluke was glad that he'd found a kindred spirit in Wifi, who was kind enough to tell him he wouldn't have to fear rejection if he couldn't find a title to prove himself with. He liked a pack that had a fair bit of leniency and understanding that not everyone fit into the roles that they were perhaps built for. His own birth pack had been relatively understanding- but not nearly enough. He smiled appreciatively, keen to prove himself to her in some way. "Those both sound great; and like I said, I will do my best," He assured her, with the tone one might use when swearing a solemn oath. 

When Wifi asked him about himself, he considered telling her about his upbringing- but then again, that might seem sort of immature for him to talk about his youth. Then again, she'd asked him where he'd come from, and his experience outside of his birth pack was extremely limited. "Well, I'm from a pack that travelled a lot, and only really slowed down or stopped whenever kids were born. So I really don't have any idea where I'm actually from, as they...They tended not to retrace their steps. They were kind of...Well, thieves, basically," He admitted. "We travelled around, and they would ambush other packs after they'd made a kill, or raid the pack for cached food. They stole kids, too- the mothers that only had one or two pups...I'm not sure if I was born or stolen, to be honest," He admitted, as he stopped to mark a tree. "And I do love my family, I do- I just...I couldn't fit in with their way of life." He said.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
There was something so endearingly earnest about Fluke. Wildfire wondered about his age, guessing that he was a yearling, maybe two. Already she could feel herself developing a maternal protectiveness over him. She wondered if she would develop this sentiment for all the wolves who chose to join her flock of Firebirds. She supposed she would. The thought brought a smile to her lips.

It faltered when he described his former pack's nomadic customs and penchant for thievery. Stealing food was bad enough. Wildfire blinked when he mentioned that they stole children from their mothers. She stopped and stared at him when he cavalierly mentioned that he didn't know if he'd been born to the pack or acquired like contraband. She blinked, swallowed and continued moving, pausing to rub her paw pads against a tree's rough bark.

"That's... awful," she said haltingly, not wanting to insult the family Fluke said he loved. Wildfire thought they sounded monstrous but she decided not to pursue the subject. In fact, she didn't know what else to ask him about himself, so instead she wondered, "Would you like to know anything else about Firebirds?"
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Fluke felt bad- not that Wildfire had made him feel bad by what she'd said, but he felt bad for those he'd left behind. He wasn't ashamed of them, but he really did hope they would change their lifestyle and stop hurting others. So to her comment, he nodded in agreement, though he shrugged at the same time. "It's not great. But they're not bad wolves," He said. "They're just...Stuck in a rut, because of the lifestyle they created. We couldn't ever stay still for long in case one of the packs they'd raided came after us." He admitted. "But someday...I hope they'll get far enough away that they'll settle down, like a real pack." He said with a faint smile and a nod. In Fluke's opinion, it was just that simple- but they'd never listened when he'd brought up the suggestion. 

She then opened the floor for him to ask about her pack, and this intrigued him. "Oh, lots!" He said with a happy laugh. "Who else lives here with you?" He asked. "I heard you calling out earlier- I'm assuming they're your packmates?" He'd heard the names earlier, but couldn't remember them now- and also didn't want to seem as though he'd been eavesdropping, either.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
He maintained his enthusiasm, which Wildfire happily indulged. "Right now, it's just myself and my daughters, Kiwi and Sequoia." She didn't bother explaining that the latter was technically her adopted niece. It wasn't even a distinction she bothered with herself anymore. They were both hers now. "Others may be coming from Redhawks. We'll see. For the moment, it's just the three—well, four now—of us." Her tail waved just before she backed up to a tree and squatted over its roots.

After standing upright again, Wildfire continued, "It was pretty crowded there, which was part of the reason for branching out and coming here. I have lots of family there and I'm hoping our alliance will stay strong." She decided not to bring up Artaax's threats or anything at all about Drageda. He might learn all about that, in time, but hopefully it was all utterly moot anyhow. "But Firebirds will be its own entity. The ranking system I described to you earlier is different from theirs. For instance, I won't be an Alpha, I will be a Sovereign."
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Finbar wasn't dissuaded from his decision to join the Firebirds at all even when he heard that it consisted of only three members aside from himself. He liked the idea of starting something from the ground up- and from what Wifi had explained to him, they had allies nearby so they weren't too exposed or vulnerable. He liked the play on words between the two pack names- and it made him feel like they really could be at home, having another pack close by just in case they were ever needed. He listened as she went on to explain a bit about the Redhawks, and how they'd been overpopulated, and he shrugged, in agreement; he knew that puppy season was approaching, and that any pack that was full would be stuffed to the brim if pups were born into it too. 

What interested him was the fact that she'd called herself a Sovereign. "So...Like a queen?" He asked. He liked that idea- but somehow, he didn't really see Wifi as the sort to govern like an absolute monarch; she seemed kind of motherly to him, and the word 'queen' seemed to have some sort of ego attached to it that he wouldn't have used to describe Wifi. Grinning, he continued. "I'd make a good court jester," He said, wriggling his eyebrows playfully.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wildfire nodded. "Yes, sort of. I'm not really one for gender roles, though." She smiled, then laughed at his comment. "Now that I'm getting to know you a bit more, I really do think you might have a future as a counselor. You could specialize as a coach, help keep up morale with games and that sort of thing."

She lowered her hindquarters to sprinkle the snow again, only to find the tank was entirely empty. Wildfire bent to lap up some snow, then straightened up and faced Finbar as she said, "There'll be two Sovereigns—Alphas, essentially—and then two Regents, which are the same as Betas. Then I'll have four Honorees: leaders-in-training and retired leaders. Altogether, those eight wolves will form the council."
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Fluke was impressed that Wildfire chose to keep things gender neutral- that was a relief. That would hopefully take some of the expectations off of him, then, and allow him to pursue whatever trade he wanted to, regardless of the fact that he was a male. She suggest d the trade of counsellor, and he liked that idea, so he nodded in response. "Doesn't take you long to get to know someone," He noted happily, glad that she seemed to have figured him out- and still wanted him around. Boosting morale was something he felt he could excell at, as opposed to having to use strength or endurance. 

She explained the rank structure for the top ranks, and he nodded along as he listened. To him, it made sense- generally, packs just had a couple alphas, a couple betas and that was it for leadership. From what he could tell about Wifi's description, she'd be allowing an extra four wolves into that area, either as retired leaders or leaders in training, which was a thoughtful choice. "Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this; and the future," He said.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
"I like to think I can read people well," Wildfire rejoined, "but sometimes I'm really socially inept, so who knows?" She chortled, the sound dampened when she downed a couple more mouthfuls of snow. It stung her teeth and made her gums and tongue go numb.

"I tried," she agreed to his statement, smiling. "A few of my ideas are borrowed from other places I've lived, with a bit of a personal, philosophical twist. I've done a lot in my life but this is the first time I've founded a pack."

Speaking of the future, Wildfire wondered where her girls were that they still hadn't shown up yet. She would have to go seek them out. "I think I'm going to go find Kiwi and Seq. You're welcome to come with me and meet them, otherwise it'd be a great help if you kept marking the borders. What'll it be, Fluke?"
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Fluke gave Wifi the playful side-eye at her comment and shook his head in denial. "Well I think you're fantastic. And if this is 'socially inept,' then we can be socially inept together." He said confidently. He liked the aura that Wifi had- that calm and diplomatic sort of confidence that was without ego. She could make fun of herself and could read others well, but the fact that she threw a disclaimer in there meant that she was humble and modest; just the type of wolf that Fluke could get on well with. 

Wifi was quick to admit that she was new to the concept of starting a pack, but Fluke didn't mind- nor was he going to start telling her what to do, as he had absolutely no clue either- nor had he lived in a stereotypical pack, either, so he had limited experience to bring to the table. But he'd follow her, as he'd seemingly been led to her today, on the day she chose to start claiming her territory. This was all going to work out- he was sure of it. 

She then gave him the option of either continuing to mark the borders, or to go with her and find her daughters. His first inclination, naturally, was to want to go and meet her daughters- he imagined that having been raised by her, they'd be just as awesome as she was, and he wanted to meet more people like her. "I'd love to come meet your daughters- but I've still got about 3/4 a tank left, so I can keep marking while you do that...But I want to meet them as soon as they're here and settled!" He decided, hoping she'd find them soon and possibly re-join him on his border defining mission. "I'm uhm...Assuming the borders are along the edge of the forest? Anything else I need to know?" He asked, then- as he actually had very little clue as to where he was supposed to be going, but he was willing to carve out at least a portion of the borders.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
He volunteered his full bladder in the name of duty and Wildfire grinned at him. "I consider the entire copse our domain, so as far as the trees grow to both the north and west. The river and the mountain forms the eastern edge. If you follow the river south, you'll eventually hit the falls and that's where I consider the southern boundary line. Thanks, Fluke. I'll be sure to introduce you to the girls as soon as possible, if you don't beat me to it. Cheers!"

She hadn't intended to start her very first day with a recruitment and she marveled a bit at her stroke of fortune to find someone like Finbar stumbling across her path. She mused about this as she disappeared into the copse, sure she'd find Kiwi and Sequoia prowling somewhere among the trees.
Do No Harm
56 Posts
Ooc —
Fluke stared intently off into the distance as Wifi described the territory, ears occasionally flicking as he did his best to memorize her instructions for the border markings. He bobbed his head repeatedly, as though to an inaudible beat, and once she'd finished he bobbed it a couple more times, repeating the instructions over in his head before he nodded very visibly, ears finally both flicking forward. "Got it!" He said, directing his warm gaze back to Wildfire. "Safe travels!" He called after her, but he felt sure she wouldn't need it- he had a feeling she'd gather up her daughters and bring them back, and if it was at all possible for him to extend his general luckiness to her, he would've done so. In fact, he willed it to be so; he'd always managed to brush through life just as he was, so he believed quite solidly that as long as he kept his spirits up and believed he was lucky, he would be. 

She disappeared into the distance and he finally did a little, happy wiggle, bucking his hindquarters into a small cow-kick off to the side before he began to press forward, trotting along the borders. He hummed at first, coining a happy little tune, and eventually put the words "Fluke Finchley is a Firebird," to it, which he repeated over and over and over as he patrolled the borders.