Swiftcurrent Creek I can't escape this now, unless you show me how.
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Private 
As night crept in, the snow fell.

Durnehviir observed the quiet flurry in silence from the entrance of her hollow, watching for several long moments with the hope that the flakes wouldn't thicken, before ducking her narrow muzzle and hunching her shoulders against the cold to step out into the open. She'd holed herself away for the entire day despite the discomfort that settled in her bones. It was an odd feeling, and one that she recalled from the years before: a desire to hide, yet a restlessness that drove her from solitude.

Her body longed for the embrace of another, yet she was receptive for only one. She remained torn on the matter as she trailed through the the foliage in the darkness, knowing that offering herself to @Constantine could never solve the many problems that hung over them. A new litter was a terrible idea, especially when she and her former lover remained so unsure of where they stood.

But the dragoness was driven by something far greater than her doubt, which was promptly cast aside as soon as each tormented thought arose.
everything mortal fades away in time, but the spirit remains
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He had never thought it before, but he felt it now with every fiber of his being—he hated this season. Tensions were higher, the she-wolves of the creek becoming distant and unapproachable at times—though he had no idea what he would do when any one of them came into heat.

There were no longer any mates within their ranks, and as such, there was not promise of a healthy litter to be born within the pack. It was fewer mouths to feed, but the shadowrunner could not see it for anything else than what it was. A failure. Puppies were essential to the pack's well-being, from encouraging the pack to work even more as one solid unit to growing their ranks from within.

Of course, as he inhaled the cold wind that pressed against his nose, it practically pulled him in the direction his ex-mate—a presence he had avoided since her return, mostly.

It hurt. It was more than the temptation and need to claim her as his own. It was the figurative punch to his gut that she was no longer his, and hadn’t trusted him to be hers.

His tongue smoothed across his lips, his form stalking closer to her, finding her in the hollow. His eyes were intense upon her, and he felt a rumbling growl suppressed in his broad chest.

He paused then, feeling the tension coil in his stomach, his eyes still appreciative of her beauty as he swallowed thickly. “I won’t deny you breeding rights, Durnehviir. You wanted to raise a family in these lands… I would never deny you that.”

And darkly, his mind considered who it might be she might choose to do so with. Kavik, perhaps? Strong and able, the man’s mate was missing, and while he ached for her, he was in his right now to claim his new life with a new meaning to it.
all you have is your fire
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
While she actively hunted for signs of the shadow she'd once called her own, Durnehviir had not anticipated him to seek her. She eased to a halt when the fresh scent of him wafted in her direction on the chill of the breeze, ginger ears tall atop her lovely crown as pale eyes looked for his powerful frame between the trees.

She heard him before she saw him - a deep rumble of a growl that she couldn't quite place. Frustration on his part, that a she-wolf of his ranks prowled Swiftcurrent territory in search of male companionship? Durnehviir did not detect any affection for her in his tone when he revealed himself, orange gaze sharp upon her, and she flicked her tongue nervously over her lip as she submissively turned her own stare downward.

"A generous offer," the russet Frostfur observed softly, her tail curling anxiously about a pale hock as she considered the possibility that Constantine might encourage her to seek a new partner because he already had, "but I do not intend to rear a litter by anybody other than the one who sired my first."

579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The wind teased him with her presence, despite the distance between them. Her tail gracefully fell to her hock, that brief movement releasing only more of her scent. He closed his eyes, at first from forcefully making himself remain in his place and not close the distance between them—and then the second when she spoke of only rearing another litter by him.

What the hell did that even mean? “Dammit, Durnehviir. Are you trying to give me whiplash?” Before her return, she hadn’t been able to stand his presence. Now,  she hinted at still wanting him.

With his eyes opening and squarely falling on her, he growled softly, a noise that sounded far closer to a groan. “You’re heat is confusing you.”
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Her eyes lifted again, boldly seeking Constantine's own as he acknowledged her words with... surprise? She'd half expected to see relief in his gaze upon realising that she'd once again chose to offer herself to him on this most vulnerable occasion. Her nose twitched in response, unwilling to reveal the disappointment she felt at his accusation that she'd sought him purely due to the pull of her hormones.

"So," she said smoothly, rolling a shoulder, "you'd rather I found somebody else?" She wanted to believe that he'd curl his lip at the idea of her coupling with another, that might finally assure her of the love she'd always longed for him to express. He merely looked her away, with no move to close the distance between them.

She was quickly realising that this was a mistake. It had been foolish of her to dare to dream that absence might have roused fresh feeling on Constantine's behalf but as he emitted a low growl of what she deemed to be frustration with her, she took a careful stride backward.

She wasn't worth reaching out to, probably because she wasn't Aria. "If that's what you think, I'll go," she said in her swiftness to admit defeat, and her ginger lobes fell back as she made to turn away.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He shook his head slowly—dazed as if he had been sucker punched. It felt like he had. “No, that’s not what I meant,” he ground out, his eyes flashing as he felt a surge of what could only be possessiveness at the thought of the fiery temptress at the side of another. But hadn’t this been what had become of their separation? That she was no longer his?

She made to turn away from him—the delicate sway of her form as something he did not recognize as defeat brought the shoulders of the proud dragons down. “You made it particularly clear that you would not be coming back to the Creek for me,” he growled, his stocky form stalking after her departing figure before sliding forward, aiming to cut her off as his eyes bore into her champagne colored gaze. “So, yeah, I’m a little confused on what all of this is about.”
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Her throat tightened, constricted by the disappointment and shame that threatened to bring tears with the uncomfortable prick in her eyes. Durnehviir had longed for nothing but love and companionship from Constantine, something she'd hoped would grow between them following the conception of their litter the previous season. For a long time she'd convinced herself it had: he'd asked her to be his, they'd reared a family and led a pack together. But the swarthy Alpha maintained a distance, a silence, that hadn't been made apparent to her until the arrival of his wayward dove.

Constantine moved to intercept her and, stopping, she rose her watery gold eyes to seek his as he challenged her. "All I ever wanted," she started, voice thick with sorrow as she attempted to reign in the heartache, "was to be happy. To make you happy. And we had all that."

The dragoness gritted her fangs, brow furrowed as she pointed her muzzle downward to avoid the scrutiny of her former mate's glower. "Then Aria came back to you, and I was afraid," she paused to inhale deeply, "of losing you. I saw how your eyes lit up when you came to tell me she was making her home here, and..." Durnehviir dared to seek his eyes once more, her lips trembling as she failed to announce what she most wished to - that he'd never looked at her that way.

She saw Aria not only as a threat to her title as Alphess, but as a better suitor for the wolf who held her heart. "I am jealous of what you shared and I'm not proud of the space I put between us or what I said to you," her words were cracked, fragile. "I chose to sever our relationship because it would give you the opportunity to build a better one with her, without me there to hold you back - I thought it was what you wanted... but I've never regretted anything more."