Horizon Ridge Freaky & The Freakshow
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Private 
@Caiaphas

Solace and serenity were found in solitude. With a last outstretched yawn Epic closed his eyes and drifted off into a deep slumber. Moments passed, minutes went by. It wasn’t until a beautiful dreamscape was violently disturbed by high-pitched screams and low-pitched screeches that he entered into a land of nightmares. Something inside his body changed, panicking even, as he was literally left gasping for air. 

He couldn’t stop the sound, it kept on going and going and onward. Until he reached a point where his own sanity was slipping away, being replaced by a growing madness. Forcefully his eyes snapped open as he danced within a limbo-state of being asleep and slowly waking up. Suddenly his eyes caught sight of another creature drawing closer like a festering shadow. Was this true or was it his madness acting? He growled dangerously, warning any straggler not to come too close. At least the sound was gone. And once more Epic found solace and serenity in solitude.
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
<3 thank you for starting! i have missed writing with you

caiaphas had been rustling among a the frozen ferns for the plant erzulie had tasked her to find, when she heard a low snarl. lifting her head with a grimace, the she-wolf froze -- for not so far from her in the reeds, a wolf had stirred.

she cursed herself for not having seen him sooner - but between her search for plants, and the bitter pain of the cut that swallowed her neck (and now looked quite angry, a fierce red scabbed over with a distinctly infected sheen) she had been distracted.

she kept her posture neutral as she regarded the beast - a yearling, by her guess. he looked road-worn, but the flat gold of his eyes was fastened on her with deep suspicion. "ah," the sylph smiled a disarming smile, her tail fanning in a gesture of good-will -- "forgive me, i did not see you resting."
this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
<3<3<3!  What's this madness, Caiaphas being kind?

-----

Well, never a silent moment probably meant never a dull moment either. It was kind of ironic what kind of creature had washed on his shoreline; a sea witch that had obviously seen better days. A creature of savage nature, with a snow-kempt and charcoal-black coat. Her hellish nature had to pay the consequences as the metallic scent of dried blood clung to like a moth to a dying flame.

"Well, shit." Epic said, startled by the entire situation. He could hardly contain his words and he obviously forgive her apology; if anything she had a whole world of sorrow to deal with so this incident seemed only very minor. "What happend to you? It looks like a truck hit you over, turned around, and hit you again. Sheesh!" All of this was blurted out in just a few seconds as the yearling was taken back by surprise.

"Oi, sorry for my bluntness. Is there any way I can help out?" Epic said next, having taken an extra moment or two to recollect himself.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
LMAO only nice when it suits her <3

having adjusted to her presence and shaken the last of sleep from his tired eyes, the male apprised her. proudly, the crone withstood his searching gaze, bearing with a cold triumph the lattice of fresh wounds on her neck. see it, and beware -- the salt-crone thought to herself grimly, knowing the raw talisman served well to warn strangers of her poor temper.

and yet, very little of her bad disposition seemed evident by the cheerless smile she bore; as the yearling blurted out how poorly she looked, caiaphas accepted it with a knowing smile. at the very least she could make some use of him, considering he had asked her if he could be of service.

oh, that was his first mistake -- already caiaphas' interest coiled around him. "a run-in with a bad lot." she answered, giving him just enough detail that she hoped he would at least stay around and assist her for more -- "not a good crowd to have on our nice shore, ah! but i digress. you are very helpful, what is your name?"
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
As curious as any cat was, the yearling male wanted to know more gossip, rumours and tell tale stories of what the sea witch referred to as 'bad lot'. Not only because as a lone wolf it was nice to know if there were dangerous wolves scurrying out and about, especially in a group; but even more so because it triggered the thoughts of pirates raiding the shorelines and taking everything they could. "Bad lot?" He frowned quizically. "You mean like raiding pirates, arrr?" A glint of his eyes betrayed a playful adventurous thought of true pirates, real superheroes, bad guys and all the stuff that only ever happened in a Marvel movies.

"Don't compliment me just yet, Kraken." The yearling replied; not knowing her true name though it became more than obvious that she breathed like the sea, with the salty waters running through her veins. A strange love for the sea was written underneath the words that she just spoke. "What do you need?" Epic replied, on purpose ignoring the call for her name. Somehow instinctual he was careful around her. At the same time help meant that she could get something else, something other than she bargained for. Like the Egyptian god Anubis he looked at her, poker-faced, ears held up right and holding his breath. Listening very carefully as to what her request would be.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
the sylph fancied she caught a playful, perhaps hopeful glance in the yearling's muted gold eyes -- but at the mention of pirates, her lips pursed and she solemnly shook her head. "hah, pirates - those at least would be better looking, and smelling. but no. no pirates." she huffed, the fume of her breath curling around her narrow muzzle in the cold; idly, she watched the misty exhale's slow ascent until the last of it became invisible to her eyes.

she had noticed her companion skirt around her request of a name -- and of course, had caught he had called her kraken. in her younger years that would have earned the rawboned wolf more than the disapproving flash of hawkish yellow eyes -- but caiaphas had learned in some ways to settle her temper, and besides... being likened to one of the fiercest sea predators was somewhat flattering in the siren's book. she'd take it.

"hm, well, if you could get me a new skin that would be great. it involves killing, though - but you look handy enough." she looked him up and down, her lips pursed. "but if you can't get that, some rosehip or moss would do." she figured for now she would humor his lack of giving a name -- but in a few seconds, would likely bring it up again.
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
His fantasy roamed far and wide, like the tides of the sea; wondering what was beyond that horizon of the water line. Wondering what was out there beyond the water line and the setting of the scene. Whatever it was, it must be beautiful. A lot of adventures lay hidden beyond the horizon. So when the Kraken mentioned with her sea witch voice that these creatures were even worse, a rogueish smirk appeared on his features until it disappeared into nothinghood. He figured it was something related to local politics and drama and aslong as he wasn't pack-bound, he simply didn't care. As much as he loved stories, he hated gossip. 

Her next reply took him off guard and by surprise; it was first replied by a hmmmm sound. Many pensive thoughts filled his mind, he figured that while the Kraken wasn't the wolf who would sing Kumbaya around a campfire; but even still, being on her good side and having a favor could work at his advantage in the future. "That depends." Replied the young male, this time with a more serious understone. This was serious mercenary talk. "Who or what do you need killed?" With a glint of his golden eye, a more predatory wolf was stirred inside. "Epic. My name is Epic."
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
caiaphas was silent as the man hummed alongside her, no doubt processing her queer nature and strange request. she would allow it -- a comfortable quiet spread between them, until at last the male unpacked from his thoughts and set his glinting gaze upon her.

she straightened up ever so slightly, noticing the new, possibly impish, sheen in his eyes.

"oh, any old skin would do -- though if you found something pretty, i wouldn't mind an upgrade." she flashed him a smile that was supposed to be winsome, yet fell far short from it. "so that is the way to get the name out of a recalcitrant stranger then? mention the prospect of killing? is killing something that excites you?"
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Hmmm, a rougue-ish, mercenary smile lingered upon his facial features. With a glint of the eye he thought of all the options. Maybe a shark-skin would fit her, it was sleek, smooth upon the edges but the immensive predatory fish had quite a deadly bite. Or maybe that of a zillion hedgehogs, skin-upon-skin interwoven together. Everything to please the sea-witch. Ah, all those options. If only it was possible. 

"Hmm, only if there's a challenge and danger with the potential kill." His more savage-side admitted with a mysterious grin. "I don't think something ordinary is good enough for you, hmm?" Epic admitted, half-pondering and weighting once more on his options. "I want to bring you something good!" Somehow, though he couldn't quite definite what was "good" enough for her. "Can you tell me something about yourself?" It was maybe a random question; however, this time it wasn't so random at all. It would define her prize. Quizically he looked at her, as if stating; better say something epic!
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
caiaphas nodded in acceptance to the wry boy's answer -- for in truth, she understood that titillating excitement all too well. a kill was not a kill without one's life also being bartered on the line -- and glory was not glory without the chance to lose something one could not lose again.

"hmm. something about myself. something i am not normally asked --" was this a date? her eyes flashed with mischief. "my name is caiaphas. i run rusalka -- there, at the ocean's bend --" she motioned past, where rusalka was well beyond sight. "i have grown up here, though i was born far away. and -- i have been at the helm of two wars to date, though i believe a third is forthcoming.

is that enough information for you?"
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
Are you okay with wrapping up the thread after the next post? And doing a follow-up when Epic brings a gift to Rusalka?
Although the yearling boy would never admit it, Caiaphas was placing a spell upon the boy. He listened to her as words fell from her leathery lips and the world around him faded away into nothinghood. She poked at his innerdepths, bring a shade of darkness within that he had never sensed before. A mercanary, a killer. His heart thumped with a buzz of excitement when she spoke of war, of drame and of blood. Life with her -- and with Rusalka -- would never preach of boredom. His rogueish smile never disappeared, though today he wouldn't judge her words, the (third) war that loomed ahead or the sea-queen Kraken.

"Almost." Epic murmured quietly, his golden eyes looked sternly into the direction of the ocean where the waves lapsed at its shorelines. "What excites you the most in life?" It was his last and final question. A wolf's excitement; whether it was hatred or love, war or peace, hunt or be hunted. This final answer would tell him a lot. "After your answer I will go and return only once I have found something worthy for you, sea queen. I will bring my gift to the Rusalka borders for you."
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
OFC<3 always thrilled to have threads with you!!

when she had finished her strange talk of herself (caiaphas had never been a wolf fascinated with describing herself, and so, found epic's interest in her rather unusual), she had expected perhaps that would be enough for the gangly yearling. as it was, he seemed to want more -- he drank in her words with a drunkard's thirst, hungry for more at every turn.

if she were a bard or even a wolf of noble birth in which such fascination was common, she would find it most titillating. but as a rather secluded crone, she humored his interest even if she found it most perplexing.

as for his question -- what excited her the most -- she thought of fighting, of thieving -- of a good lie expertly told -- all of these things strung a quiver in her battered heart.. but they were not, in essence, the key to her decrepit existence. "my children." she answered, a note of powerful pride in her voice. she did not elaborate then, that her children could be those not of her blood -- through and through, as reprehensible and erratic as the siren queen was, she was first and foremost a devoted mother to all ushered under her brooding wings.
160 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
He expected an answer from her, one riddled with blood, death and desire for war. Instead he got something entirely different as she -- almost lovingly, pridefully said -- that her children were the cause of her excitement, her pride and even more so her love, life and heart. His first impression of the sea witch had been torn asunder as underneath her rough exterior and cold demeanor raged a warm, loving mother's heart. Who would have guessed? He certaintly didn't. But it had brought him on a special idea.

"Thank-you." He said without much emotion, her answer as much as it would have surprised him, wouldn't causee any judgement. "I will return to you when I have found my gift." And with those words, a parting notion, he dipped his head in a greeting and slithered off into the darkness.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
caiaphas was not aware of the contrast in which she had just presented to epic's interpretation of her -- and if she was, it mattered little, for it did not change the harpy's true nature -- which was, above all else, a monster who would do anything for her children.

she said nothing in reply to his thanks, still bemused he wished to return at a later date -- but she did dip her head in response before he headed off.

having her own errands in which to commit to, caiaphas did not linger long after epic's form disappeared.