Hushed Willows [YULE] maybe just a half a drink more
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Private 
For @Soltero. Backdated to December 21, the night of Yule.

As per Yule tradition, many of the visiting partiers planned to stay until dawn to fully celebrate the longest night of the year. This was certainly Rue's intention; if her pack hadn't been invited to Elysium's party, Rue would have held the night-long vigil on her own in Blacktail Deer Plateau. However, she was quite pleased that events had unfolded as they had, as she much preferred the merry company of friends and allies to watching the moon rise and fall by herself. 

Rue sighed happily, lifting her eyes to the starry sky as she and Soltero stepped into a patch of moonlight. The pair had meandered to the outskirts of the gathering as late evening blended into the wee hours of the morning. Distant voices and the occasional peal of laughter could still be heard drifting from the direction of the larger group, but the celebration seemed to be winding down. 

Rue turned her twinkling gaze to Soltero. "Celerating like this.. it reminds me of better days," she said with a wistful smile, recalling her puphood with fondness. Preoccupied by her memories and somewhat sleep-deprived, she didn't realize right away that her words hinted at a present which was something less than perfect. "Have you enjoyed the party?" she inquired, turning the conversation to her companion. Soltero was quiet by nature, which piqued Rue's curiosity about his inner experience.
Tell me something that i'll forget
124 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Ears cupped forward to catch the soft sigh swept away by the breeze, distant laughter and celebration muffled with the distance as the pair strode off into the path led by the moon. Eyes of rich, grassy hues shifted from the lucent beams to study Ruenna's face in silence, captured momentarily by the way she was illuminated - stars seemed to dance in her gaze, coruscating and refulgent as she turned to peer at him before words began to tip from her lips.

He refocused his attention on those words, considering them in his natural quietude before attempting to speak. Better days, she mentioned, but shifted the topic to himself - he let her, unsure how to guide the conversation himself. "I have," the low voice rumbled, though it was twinged with a fondness not all too frequently felt. He could have pictured his mother at the gathering; it was the kind of place she would adore, with the excitement thrumming in one's veins, the unity of the singing and the peace that it brought. The bustle and thrill of a party was always something she had admired. But, he thought again, Ruenna was here with him now, and he enjoyed her company far more than anyone else he'd come to encounter in his lonesome thus far. "I wish I'd known about these sort of things when I was younger," he murmered, eyes thick with a cloud of mindless thought - how different would his life have been, if it had not all been spent crossing hills, travelling fields and traipsing rivers?
I tried to write your name in the rain
But the rain never came
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Soltero's gaze lifted, his eyes glimmering through the darkness like inky, bottomless pools. Ruenna recalled from their previous meeting that the man had irises like the springtime grasses, a brilliant hue which captured attenton and evoked fond recollection of warmer days. Although the shadows of nighttime had washed away all traces of color, interestingly enough Ruenna still felt her attention seized and ensnared. 

As always, Soltero was something less than an open book about his thoughts, though he did confirm that he was enjoying himself tonight. Rue wondered about the sort of childhood he had experienced, thinking it strange that he had not had the opportunity to attend celebrations such as this when he was younger. Rue knew it would be impolite to pry, so she instead offered a tidbit about her own youth. "My birthpack was small, and quite interdependent upon other small, allied packs for mutual survival. Gatherings and festivites like this were so important.. they helped us reconnect and renew our bonds with our allies. It was also nice to see family that had married into other packs or started their own." 

Rue enjoyed reminiscing about happier times simply for the sake of it, but she was also hoping that her diclosure might prompt Soltero to share a litte more about his own background. Her light accusation from their very first conversation still held true-- Soltero was quite a mysterious man.
124 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Terrible but wonderful curiousity plagued his mind when it came to Ruenna - her own pages seemed slightly ajar, allowing him a sip of what words lay beneath, but there was still so much he didn't know (not like he could talk, he generally kept his book shut tight and locked, for his eyes only), and he longed to hear her speak. When her lips moved and gave him another taste, his silver ears twitched upon his crown and he listened intently.

The smoky traveller thought to himself in silence, running over the description in his head - packs appeared to have so much variety, each a unique collection of rules and traditions for the wolves to revel in; Soltero had barely scraped the surface with all that was out there, despite his countless suns and moons of trekking the world's nooks and crannies. A stab of something unknown pierced his gut, and he felt his own words brewing on the tip of his tongue - the Valento was not good at opening himself up, but he felt obligated to. Besides... if anyone was going to hear a single sentence from his tale, he wanted it to be Rue. "This is the first celebration i've been to... me and my mother spent our days travelling, and we never settled anywhere for too long. We were a team, we didn't like relying on anyone else." They had been a duo, had relied solely on each other for survival and company, leaning on each other's shoulders to raise their spirits and listening to their songs to accompany them in the darkest of nights.

He would never forget the day she passed. 

But he couldn't linger -- "I do like travelling, there are all sorts of strange things out there for us to discover. But it was tiring, too." Would that be enough to satiate her interest for the time being? Perhaps Soltero could be tempted to release more as time passed, but thus far that was the most he'd ever told anybody about his past, as little as it was.
But the rain never came
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Much to Rue's delight, she was allowed a small piece of Soltero's history to savor, although it only served to redouble her curiosity. What an exciting childhood Soltero must have led! He had likely seen more of the world during his puphood than Rue had seen in her entire life.

But Rue wondered, perhaps, if such an existence was too exciting for a child? There seemed to be an air of sadness in Soltero's recollection, but Rue couldn't quite put a paw on the feeling's origin. She remembered feeling quite unsettled during her homeless months, before she had come to live in Blacktail Deer Plateau. With some more thought, Rue decided that despite her unfullfilled wanderlust, the stability of pack life had probably been best for her when she was younger. She was unsure of how well her younger self would have managed the constant change and the ever-present apprehension which typified life as a lone wolf. 

"She sounds like an incredibly strong wolf," Rue said of Soltero's mother, admiring such independence. Rue could not imagine being capable of raising a child in such conditions. It did not escape Rue that Soltero spoke of his mother's companionship in the past tense, implying that she was no longer around. Naturally Rue wondered where the woman was now, and what had occurred to keep her apart from her child with whom, from the sound of things, she had been very close. Rue hoped these were questions that would be answered with time, should she be lucky enough to spend more of that in Soltero's company. 

Rue allowed the subject to shift, perhaps innately sensing Soltero's reluctance to delve further into his past. "I like it too," she agreed. "Travelling, I mean," she added quickly, for clarification. "...My birthpack traveled a lot, following the herds during the warm months, and I guess I miss that life a little now that I'm part of a more stationary pack. That's.. that's why I do so much scouting for the Plateau, I think." Rue's amber eyes slid to meet Soltero's gaze, and a half-smile pulled at the edge of her mouth. As she was sure he recalled, she had been on such a scouting venture the first time they had met.
124 Posts
Ooc —
Away
"She sounds like an incredibly strong wolf,"

Soltero nodded silently, before casting a half smile in the silver girl's direction. "She was," came the murmur, and then the shoving of words against the back of his tongue increased, as though they were caged and eager to break free. Perhaps it was the adrenaline still coursing through his veins at the party's bustle, or perhaps it was simply word vomit; he'd never said anything about his past to anyone before, and maybe gifting a snatch of the story triggered some sort of wave, given strength to break through the barriers. Or it was the memories that had been brushed, shining again, the eagerness to remember his mother. In the end, he only added: "I've never seen a wolf go so far with only three legs."

He appreciated the switch from himself back to her, and his gaze focused on the little snowflakes dotting Ruenna's muzzle - miniscule crystals that sparkled in the moon's light. He listened to the talk of her former pack, and maintained his silence when she mentioned scouting, but gave a small nod accompanied with another smile. "I like the freedom of it, but being in a pack has its benefits - now I can focus on other things I enjoy, too."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue would not have to wait long to sate her curiosity; Soltero's agreement with her statement came in the past tense, indicating that his mother was no longer living. Sympathy pulled at Rue's expression. Losing a parent was not easy, of course, but to lose the one and only wolf he had ever relied upon... Rue couldn't imagine. 

Soltero spoke again, which came as a surprise to Rue. It very well could have been the first time Soltero had offered her any conversation without first being prompted. Was it possible that he was opening up, maybe just a little? Even this tiny indication of progress was exciting to Rue, and her hopeful heart beat a little faster.  

Her companion's actual words registered, and Rue simply shook her head incredulously with a small smile of admiration. She had no doubt now that Soltero's mother had been some kind of superwoman. Interestingly, she seemed uncannily similar the three-legged Liri Tonrar, Rue's beloved and indomitable alpha. Rue had no doubt she would have liked Soltero's mother quite a bit... it was such a shame they would not have the chance to meet. 

Soltero's gaze lingered on her face as she spoke, and Rue's cheeks grew warm in response to such attention. If Soltero had been anyone else, she might have cast her gaze aside to obscure her features, but quite oddly... Rue found only pleasure in the notion that something about her countenance might have caught the young man's eye. Even odder was the realization that she dearly wished to remain the captor of his gaze, his attention... for the first time in her life perhaps, she didn't want to fade into the background. 

Even just this small tidbit of Soltero's history provided Rue with a much clearer understanding of the man beside her. He had spent the majority of his life in the company of just one other... likely Soltero and his mother had not needed speech for the majority of their communication. Rue had never enjoyed such a close companion herself, but she had noticed from afar how deeply-bonded wolves seemed to simply understand each other just.. innately, no words necessary. It made sense now that Soltero seemed quite unpracticed in the art of conversation. It was not a skill he had ever needed before. 

And yet, the man appeared to be to be a quick learner-- he was catching on to the back-and-forth of conversational discourse, once again adding to their dialogue without a direct question from Rue. The young lady's eyes brightened in delight. Progress, indeed. Her companion mentioned the privilege of being able to "focus on the things he enjoyed," and Rue tilted her head in curiosity. "What things are those, Soltero?" she inquired gently, enjoying the feel of his name on her tongue.
124 Posts
Ooc —
Away
He just couldn't seem to pull his gaze away.

Something about Ruenna kept him there, eyes bound to trace the neat curve of her muzzle and observe wind ruffling the soft fur of her ears, sweet honey-hued eyes... a trance, one he'd only ever heard about in those random love stories that his mother had told him once in the afternoon warmth, and they'd laughed together about how absurd the idea was. Now, the smoky traveller wasn't quite so sure.

Her own glance seemed to brighten, and he felt a tickle of butterflies in his stomach - had he brought that glitter into her eyes? He hoped so. The question caused his ivory chin to incline to the side in thought, slate-grey fur glistening in the pale light as they moved with the hum of distant bustle. "I... well... I want to be a naturalist. Study all the nature around me, especially the rivers." He had never even considered doing as much until he took up residence at the Creek and became swarmed in memories from his early childhood. 

It reminded him of his mother, as much seemed to do in the past few moons - besides, it felt oddly good to talk to somebody for once. Especially if that somebody was Rue.
But the rain never came
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Even Soltero's tiniest movements compelled Ruenna's gaze-- the dipping of his chin, the arcing of his neck... it all competed for Rue's attention, even as she fought to focus upon the precious words that tipped from that frost-nipped muzzle. 

A naturalist? It wasn't what Rue had expected, and she blinked in delighted surprise. With more thought, it made sense that a lifelong nomad like Soltero felt drawn to rivers. Rivers were the voyagers and explorers of the natural world, forever pushing onward, cutting their meandering paths through any and all terrain, across each and every landscape. 

"The rivers would have so many stories to tell, if only they could speak," Rue agreed, smiling shyly. It was a silly notion-- rivers talking-- but perhaps they communicated in some form or another to Soltero. Naturalists seemed to have a certain way with nature that defied the rules of logic as Rue typically understood them.