Sun Mote Copse Whiskey river
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
All Welcome 
Colt honestly didn't know if he expected Niamh to come or not.  He didn't know if he wanted her to, either.  He knew it was terrible, but if she stayed there, everything would be a damn measure easier wouldn't it?

He stood with his back to a tree, staring at the forest that was his new home, at least for a time. Good place for thinking, this patch of ground.

Chances were good that Towhee would make her stay, and Colt had given the ultimatum more as a way to force a clean break or a solid decision than an actual true dealbreaker.  True, he wouldn't have gone back.  But he could have tried to work things out without forcing her to leave.

Her own ultimatum had been what made up his mind, and he'd wondered if it would be her breaking point too.  Apparently not.

Then there was the other terrible old-Colt thought... he'd never really had a hard time chasing women off before, and if he needed to make her hate him, well.  He knew how.

Fuckin flighty, old man, he thought to himself with a touch of mocking self-deprecation.  But the memory, that in the end he could choose where his life led, soothed him some.  He'd made it clear his chance was a step, and if she didn't take it, he wouldn't need to figure out the next one.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She didn't need to be alone right now. It gave her entirely too much time to dwell, which led to wallowing. Staying busy—patrolling the borders, checking the stockpiles, searching out landmarks—wasn't quite enough. Wildfire needed the distraction of companionship.

She found it in the form of Colt, seated beneath a tree and staring absently into the copse. It took just about every bit of Wildfire's energy to muster a smile for him, though she did. She even managed to wave her black tail once, twice, as she padded nearer.

"Hello, Colt." There was an acorn settled in the snow nearby, which she gently kicked in his direction. "An acorn for your thoughts?"
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
A fortunate side effect of Colt's thoughttfulness was that he didn't notice if Wildfire's smile was forced.  He gave one of his own back when she approached, rolling the acorn beneath his paw before rolling it back good naturedly.  Think I'd owe you one for takin em, and even then, feels like I'd be getting the cheaper bargain. He joked, standing and stretching his shoulders.

Was just thinking, ironically, that this was a nice spot for thinking.  Trees seem to give you space.  It was a weird thought, but he was in a weird place, so hey.  He was goin with it.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
He kicked the acorn back to her with a quip. Wildfire rested a paw over it, wondering if it would find its way into the earth to germinate and grow into an oak tree that would one day tower over this spot. She blinked when she realized Colt was on the subject of trees too. A faint smile passed over her face.

"Speaking of trees and spaces, I came across something weird a little earlier today," Wildfire shared. "I could try to describe it to you but it'd be easier to show it. Would you come with me?" She took a step in the general direction of the river at what she considered the rear of the territory.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Oh? Yeah, sure. He figured checking out what she had to show was a good sight better than sitting here dwelling on shit that might not even be a problem.  You picked a solid spot here. Blackthorns do well most places, you'd probably know, but forests got their own appeal.  This last part was definitely a comical jab; she had to have known enough of his family to feel the sentiment if she and his sister were so close.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
He agreed to come along, so Wildfire began strolling toward their destination. She nodded to acknowledge his remark, even though she found it very tough to smile these days. She'd experienced many losses, due to both death and other circumstances, but losing Bat for good was the bitterest pill she'd ever swallowed.

Eventually, the pair of wolves arrived at the crest of a slope, earth and wood chips creating a carpet underfoot. From here, the set itself was invisible. Wildfire exchanged a quick look with Colt, then picked her way down the small slope, careful not to twist an ankle on the roots snaking along the ground below. When the ground leveled out, the mouth of a den yawned off to their left, directly beneath the gnarled tree seated at the top of the hillock. Smaller roots dangled down across the opening, with a whole other snarl of them rising in a wave on the other side.

[Image: bKBkCTr.jpg]

"I've never seen anything quite like it before," Wildfire said. "We're not too far from the river here. I'm wondering if this is the result of a past flood, like a washout." She shrugged her slim shoulders.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Not much of a reply to his opener, but that was fine.  He fell quiet and followed, appreciating the quiet calm of the forest and Wildfire's presence.  Coming here really had been a good call, in the end - if he hadn't, he'd be somewhere out there solo and making the long trek back to the Blackthorn Clan.  

Colt breathed in when she finally showed him what she'd found - a large den, roots twisting out from a tree above.  It was.. impressive.  And, in that moment, reminded him a hell of a lot of the den Niamh had surprised him with, despite looking nothing like it. 

It's impressive, he said, mentally shaking himself from that rememberance.  Seems likely.  He poked his nose in, admiring the roots.  Seems like it'd make a good den, for someone.  Far as he knew, Wildfire didn't have a mate, but that was likely to change as time went on.  From his experience, leadership didn't tend to go childless long.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
"I was actually thinking it could be a communal den of sorts. I know the entrance doesn't look that big but it's surprisingly large inside, from what I can tell." Granted, she'd barely poked her head in there, on account of hating caves and other enclosed spaces ever since her imprisonment in Blackfeather Woods. But even in the dark, she'd had the sense of spaciousness. "I'm not sure what the others would think and maybe it wouldn't catch on for regular use. But it could be a hangout spot and a place to go in case of inclement weather or other emergencies."

The Sovereign decided to take a seat nearby, giving Colt more of a chance to look around if he liked even as she asked, "So, are you from the same litter as Finley?"
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Might be hard to keep a spot that big warm with just two, he agreed, taking another peek and this time ducking further in.  It was larger than he'd first supposed.  He'd not known many packs to have such spaces, but if they had one ready to use, why not?

He backed out as she asked about Finley, and he smiled.  Aye, Frog's my littermate.  She and I were partners in crime for a good part of growin up. And Hawkin, but that wasn't a story for casual conversation.  Parted ways for a while, but it's been nice catching up.  You've known her a long time, yeah?  He knew their families were real close, but he'd never talked specifics with his sister.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Her lip twitched at the nickname. Poor Finley didn't have the most flattering nicknames (Frog and Flea, c'mon!). She could hear the fondness in Colt's voice. They'd kicked around together as youths, then reunited recently, by the sound of it.

"Since the day I was born," Wildfire replied. "She's my aunt and my godmother. My parents died when I was about two, so she didn't have to step in as the latter until my youngest siblings were born. But she's always been a mother figure, all the same, especially now that mom's gone.

Speaking of which,"
she said in the next breath, gesturing at the tangle of roots above the den's mouth, "there're some niches in there that might make good whelping dens. I'm hoping Aunt Flea will come here and use one. Think she'll have another batch?"
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt didn't think he'd ever get used to Fin being referred to as mom, even when he was old and grey.  Well, older and grey.  It was a role she seemed to have taken to with a vengeance, though, raising not only a slew of her own children but also a slew of someone else's.  And, judging from Wildfire's words, claiming even those she hadn't raised.

No doubt in my mind.  If she's anything like our ma she'll be poppin them out until she can't.  And even then it's dubious.  He joked, maybe a tad crassly, but hey it was his sister so it was fine.  You think she and ol El are gonna make the move, then? He was a little questioning on that himself just because, from what he'd seen of mom Finley, she had a hard time stepping back when her kids were concerned.  He'd be glad if she did (hard to give her shit in a plateau he couldn't visit) but he wasn't about to put money on it.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Colt seemed pretty convinced that she'd try, at least, and Wildfire's tail waved. She would absolutely set aside breeding rights for the two of them, should they come. Of course, that was still up in the air at the moment. She had a feeling they were strongly considering it, yet she hadn't gotten official word yet. She supposed she'd find out when they showed up on the borders one day, requesting admittance.

"I'm not sure, though I hope so. I know that's selfish but..." She shrugged her slim red shoulders. "I could use their company right now more than ever," Wildfire added in a low voice, not entirely sure if Colt would hear her.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt smiled as she spoke.  It was good to know his sister had had good family here.  Isn't selfish to want the ones you care about living with you, he said.  I'd like it too.  Aww shit yeah Colt loved his sister.  And someone had to keep her modest.  Not nearly enough in the other pack had the nerve to call her Frog.

Almost big enough for a few, though not sure if that's how it works.  He'd not spent much time around mothers - did they like sharing space?  He also wasn't sure they'd be seeing many more pairs.  If Wildfire has no plans, Fin was the only other he knew of.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wanna fade since we have a newer one? :)

She wasn't alone in her sentiments. Wildfire still couldn't bring herself to smile, though she shot Colt a grateful look. He made another comment about the area's suitability as a den site. He had a point. In any case, Finley would choose her own whelping den. Wildfire knew from experience how fussy a mother could be about these matters; she had once switched dens at the very last minute.

"If you don't mind keeping me company, I think I'd like to find something to eat, then maybe walk to the river," the Sovereign invited, shifting her angle in preparation for departure, her body language inviting.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
She seemed at least placated by his reassurance, so that was good at least.  Colt could feel his stomach starting to rumble even as she mentioned eating, and nodded.  Sounds like a good idea.  She might not smile, but he did, and prepared to follow her lead.  Learning a bit about her would stop him dwelling on the whole Niamh situation, and he liked to know those he was following anyway.