Deepwood Weald i kissed a frog at midnight so he sang me a lullaby
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)

He had been on the trail of some unfortunate coyote for nearly half a mile now, steadily gaining ground on the prey until it slipped through a stream and evaded what would have likely been death. A sigh slipped through leathery lips as he lowered himself to the creek's edge, quickly lapping up the harsh winter water as it crashed against the tiny rapids. Once his thirst was quenched he pulled away and positioned himself so that his good eye could groom through the grove, watching intently as the snow drifted down from the canopy above.

He supposed after a quick rest he could try his luck again at securing himself a meal that could hold him over for a few days, for the constant roaming was proving to be more of a burden than he imaged. He could no longer spring back up from a failed hunt to try again and the time it took for him to catch his breath seemed to increase with each chase he gave. He was by no means old but Sanguinus was certainly beginning to feeling the luxuries of middle age.
3-3-3
9/10 threads
monthly goal - reach 100 posts
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
thanks for getting this up !

Marruz had been silent as always. For the majority of his introduction to the Weald, the one factor he had most respected was its muted capacity. Life was everywhere but it was concealed in shadow, and that was just as it should be to him. 

The sun had banked low beneath the horizon now, so that when he looked up at the towering tree limbs above, he noticed the faint traces of stars beginning to cloak the midnight void beyond. In the darkness, black eye concealed by even blacker fur, his indigo eye glanced quickly around. And for the first time that day, his spidery appendages came to a hesitant halt. He reclined his head back and took of a drink of the chilly, swollen fog. 

That's when he noticed the scent of a newcomer. Had it not been for that single star, he might have been in such a mood as to pursue the stranger in hostile intent. But he was humbled by the vast skies and so, when he tracked the male to a nearby ravine, it was with as cordial a voice as he could muster that he interjected upon the scene. 

"Greetings," his voice was never kind; rough though ripened by youth. He cocked an eyebrow at the panting brute. "That hare did a number on you." 

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
The wind, as cruel as it normally was, played in Sang's favor tonight and revealed the whereabouts of the inky stranger far before the greeting reached his ears. When the mystery man finally did come into view, he appeared more as a shadow seeping from the looming woods behind him rather than an actual wolf. "Suppose age is finally catching up to me" he responded with a dip of his head, joints aching as he pushed himself to stand. 

The paragon shifted himself to get a better view of the unfamiliar male, noting the unique set of eyes he held among an otherwise average appearance. The lack of scars along the raven boy's body certainly helped settle some wariness in the pit of Sang's stomach, but suspicion still danced across his features nonetheless.  
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Marruz's orbs glinted. Whatever emotion it was, however, did not breach his features. He stood stonily and grunted as the male before him visibly assessed his composition.

"Lucky for you there are more things to worry about here," his nose twitched impassively, despite the ominous words. As though such feelings had not transpired, he turned and tipped his crown towards the night sky. "Care to join me in a little stargazing?" 

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
The choice of words left an unpleasant feeling brewing beneath the beast's chest but, due to the lack of hostility or really any emotion for that matter, quickly settled before any accusations could unfold. Still, he did not move to close the gap between them, even after the idea of stargazing was suggested. "I don't have much else to do so why not."

Truthfully the idea of watching the sky was of little interest to him but, Sanguinus' life had never been about himself. His mind only thought of what service astronomy could be to his future master and even if little came off the top of his head, the servant within pushed him to further any crafted he could. 
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
The foreigner did not move to close the gap, and this did not bother Marruz. He would have done the same, after all, and he was pleased enough that the wolf would even linger. The sky was a deep hue this night, with stars that shone like minute buttons.

While curious about the stranger, the celestial palette before Marruz fought more for his attention. His indigo and ebony gaze traipsed across the yawning expanse, marred only by the occassional arm of surrounding trees. The night was clear and wonderfully hospitable to the eye. After a moment's pause, he stirred.

"Can you find Orion?" He quested, no less reticent. "This first month to the third is when he'll be most visible." 

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
Where his companion might have found the sky to be a Picasso worth piece of art each night, Sanguinus only saw the stars veiled in darkness like they always were. Yet despite his lack of interest he listened to the questioned tossed his way and the words that quickly followed suit. He was not good with months or even the idea of time in general, he only knew the sun and moon and the four seasons that always came around every few full moons. 

But, in an attempt to learn something while given the opportunity, the paragon licked his lips and drew his head upward towards the sky. "I've heard of the constellation but do not know what it looks like or where it lies in the sky."
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Marruz nodded. He felt that he liked the wolf a tad more having found him to be receptive. He still kept his features stiff and dismissive.

"Look just below that last branch there," and he gestured with his snout for good measure. A particularly bright star flickered at the tip of a jutting branch. "You use Orion to keep your proportions straight. Just by seeing it, I know that Gemini is to the left and up."

He stared at the brilliance of the darkness; biding his time in the peace and serenity of the view. What he loved most was his insignificance beneath it.

"You're not a common stargazer, are you?" Marruz broke the silence with an obligatory tone. "Can you see the stars often from where you hail?" 

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
He followed the instructions given to him and eventually his gaze landed among Orion, although he had no idea when he did so considering he was still unaware as to what the constellation looked like. So while his inky companion shared more information, Sanguinus continued to peel through the sea of stars, searching for any clumps that looked like they belonged together. 

His tattered ear flicked atop his head when the obvious was pointed out, a quick snort following shortly behind. "I often trained under them when I was younger, though I was far too busy heeding the words of my mentor to truly admire their beauty." Astellapor was a place built to whip children into servants, leaving little time for anything other than brutal lessons. 
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Marruz thought it odd how the stranger spoke of his 'mentor'. He cast a fleeting glance at the man and expelled a flair of smoky air. There was no sympathy or, really, anything at all in his dispassionate orbs. He looked every inch the son of his cryptic father. 

Marruz returned his sights to the heavens; expression indifferent in the sober moonlight. "That is Canus Major - the star just beneath Orion. It is a bit brighter," he murmured, entranced by the sight. "And if you look closely, it makes the appearance of a running wolf." 

His face pacified, and it was the closest the boy truly ever could be to a smile. "Look. To the right is a collection of stars" - he lifted a paw and tried to outline what he was referring to - "use your mind and you can see two, long ears. The wolf is in pursuit of a hare. Not unlike yourself, he never catches it." And he put emphasis on that final portion just to spite the fellow adjacent him, and also to appease the ill feeling he had obtained.

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
Sanguinus did not mind the brief silence that followed his words, for his past was irrelevant and broken one too many ways to recall all together. "I see" he murmured when his starlit gaze fell upon the brighter orb, head turning to try an envision the picture painted in his head. The wolf was missing an ear along with the tip of his tail, but the overall image was there and the paragon was pleased with what he had done. 

The satisfaction lasted no longer than a minuted though, soured by the snarky comment of his companion. "Did whoever teach you about stars have such a lovely way with words as well?" He tossed back with a smirk and half laugh, his ego only slightly bruised. 
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Marruz's ear flicked at the male's words. Being in good spirits from the starry presence, however, the boy was willing to let the first retort that came to his mind dissolve on his lips. Instead, he shifted and resumed his phlegmatic disposition; tenebrous pelt shimmering an odd, crepuscular blue.

When he was satisfied that the stranger was well aware of the ineffectual impact of what he said, Marruz shrugged. "I taught myself," he replied flatly. "And I would consider my 'way with words' to be far from lovely." And while his second statement was true, the former was only half a shroud, for in reality it had been his mother who had first shown him the secrets of the dark.

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
Laughter was not a luxury the scarred man often got to indulge in but the words of his inky companion amused him and a gruff snicker spilled from his lips. "You think?" he asked, brow arching as the words left his mouth and a smirk split his jaws. 

It was a surprise he'd not yet felt the cool touch of teeth around his neck for young ones these days were so easily pushed over the edge and the subtle insults shared between them were often enough to irritate anyone into violence. So whether it be out of habit or some deep rooted good nature, Sanguinus aimed to disperse any ill will between them as he quite enjoyed the stranger's company despite him being rather perverse. "You're pretty good at stargazing kid, and I thank you for teaching me a bit of your craft."
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Marruz was not used to such cordiality. He cast his indigo gaze skeptically at the brute and traced the velvety stains encircling his nape. His tail flicked uncertainly; quietly rustling at the crisp undergrowth of the forest floor. 

For a moment he wasn't sure how to respond. He hated this. Everything about the situation was uncomfortable and so very unfamiliar. So, he kept his mouth shut for the longest time possible. Not an inch of his emotions leaked, but for the furrowing of his brow in minute pace atop his unwavering orbs. He stared hard at the moon and the belt of Orion, imagining that time had only skipped in heartbeats and he was just a couple of moons old. Imagined that this deferential wolf beside him was the wolf that sent him here. Imagined that he did not tremor.

"I know," Marruz finally muttered, scrunching his nose as though he detested the flavor of the statement. He then stood and shook out his Stygian pelt, stretching willowy pegs with decided grain. When he was content, he drew himself to his full height and faced the male in that laconic manner of his. He blinked and curtly dipped his head, gritting his teeth as he did so and not entirely certain why he felt obliged to do it at all. 

"You're welcome," he grunted. "I'm surprised you digested all of that... I would have thought the hare more apt for the job." And this was the closest the boy had come to a compliment in his short expanse of sunrises.

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"
98 Posts
Ooc — (►.◄)
The titan could not place what he felt in that moment but he knew it was deep-seated and personal, familiar in a certain sense one could only call deja vu. Perhaps in another life the two had met before and been companions or adversaries; he did not know which. He only knew in this brief wavering moment there was a kindling of something and he felt the desire to push for more of whatever it may be, but just as his lips parted the crisp declaration of the inky man broke the silence between them and retracted the words on the paragon's tongue. 

Maybe it was for the better.

"Perhaps we will meet again under the fall of night and you can teach me more of the stars" he began, gaze moving from the void of the boy's left eye to the sapphiric gleam of his right. "But until then" he let out in a raspy breath, moving a few paces in the direction of the swarthy youth. "I leave the hare to you." And with that he gave a final civilized dip of his maw before moving to begin his departure from the murky grove.  
3-3-3
9/10 threads
إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
104 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Marruz stood and stonily pinned his gaze toward the heavens, where the moon had shifted only slightly in its journey across the sky. His tail swayed ambiently in that odd way seen in small streams occluded by rocks, in which motion and quiescence aligned. For such a runner as he, the boy opted for little movement when in the presence of an audience. It was better that way...

When the wolf spoke, he stood especially still. And even when the man closed the distance, little by little, between them, he only blinked the indigo and moved the black eye. That was all he was willing to do. This wolf was scaring him, and he hated anything that frightened him; for there was little in the world that could do it anymore. 

The stranger spoke those final words and Marruz's heart was beating twice as fast as ever a run had cost him. He wanted to turn and face this foreigner - face this man that so reminded him of things he had lost. But to do so would be to lift the sky from his shoulders. 

The boy only lowered his head when he heard retreating pawsteps; exhaling in one, leaden sigh the air of the frightened. He sat panting in the moonlight, bewildered and full of rage at his own insolence. This was betrayal by any definition. And yet he remained in the clearing for quite some time after, staring at his paws. And when the sunlight poked its way through the towering trees, he wondered whether he might ever see the wolf again.

The world liked satire, it seemed, for Marruz. For when he finally stood, his ears perked at the rustle of foliage a few paces away. To his dismay, the hare emerged. And this time, it was not so fortunate.

ابن النجوم
"son of the stars"