Moonspear hello, 911, what's your emergency
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Because poking Amekaze about it seemed like a pretty bad idea, but Charon was worried nonetheless about her laxness when it came to the breeding season, Charon decided he'd seek out Speedy. He'd clicked well with her the first time they met, and he was pretty sure that she would be better able to convince Ame about the necessity of breeding soon. Perhaps it was better not to tell Ame the reasons behind it but still, his mate was more likely to listen to Speedy, who was a healer of sorts, than him. Perhaps he could ask Speedy if she'd do a check-up, too, just to be sure that Ame was healthy enough. Charon honestly had no idea how old Ame even was, but as age and his many scuffles in his life caught up with him he started to realise that age was a thing and Ame was definitely older than he, that much he knew. The little signs that she was growing older were lost on him so far; she'd always been this timeless beauty sort of wolf, so he only gave it thought now that he felt age and the strain of injuries tug at himself harder.

Charon waited at the rendezvous site around the mountain's base as he called for @Speedy. It wasn't snowing but the air was cold and there was snow laying over the field he looked out onto. It was the end of the afternoon and the sun started to set. At the end of the field was a slope that lead down into the forest at the mountain's base, which was a pleasant place to be when it snowed heavily; it provided much needed shelter.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Besides the fact that it was always way too cold, there was one thing Speedy really disliked about winter, and it was the fact that she couldn't gather herbs. She had always found it to be a peaceful and satisfying way to pass the time, so in the winter she always yearned for it to be spring again so that she could resume her most favorite task. Today, she had gone through her stores to make sure everything was still keeping adequately. Most of what she had seemed to be faring quite well, and she thought it must be due to how cold it was here in the mountains, which she considered a silver lining. Not that she disliked it here, more that she disliked the cold, which she would dislike no matter where she was. She only had to dispose of a few flowers that seemed to be teetering on the edge of being completely useless, and she thought that was pretty good considering she hadn't been able to collect anything fresh at least since the last full moon. 

She had emerged from her den with the intent to find maybe Slavik or Arcturus and see if she could talk them into playing or something, but Charon's call stopped her searching. It seemed important, and so, worried that something was wrong, she wasted no time tracking him down to the rendezvous site. A soft chuff announced her arrival, and she stopped in front of the alpha with a polite dip of her head in greeting. Good evening, Charon, she said first. Everything okay? the healer asked, concern crossing her face.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Speedy didn't take too long to arrive, a thing Charon appreciated: he'd had too much experience with calling for wolves who then didn't show up. She looked worried, bless her fragile soul, and Charon contemplated whether he'd tease her a bit and keep her in the dark about the fact nothing was wrong. But then he decided against it -- perhaps age had given him a little bit of wisdom, after all? -- and was quick to dispel her worry. Don't worry, nothing's wrong. He shook his head. It was a different sort of thing that had made him request her presence.

I was hoping for some advice. Their previous meeting had been more light-hearted, but for this one he wasn't planning anything of the sort. Last year this time Ame and I had already tied the knot on the next litter. She doesn't seem to be in a hurry, and, well, let's face it, she's getting old. Charon didn't mean it as crudely as it came from his mouth. Older, I mean -- she's still got a good bunch of years on her, no doubt. Thinking of Amekaze keeling over wasn't something he enjoyed doing. It's a bit of a touchy subject. I don't even really know how old she is, and I never cared, I mean, I don't care about that now... I just want to make sure she doesn't wait too long until her body can't handle it anymore or something. Maybe you, as a healer, could remind her of her duties? He looked at Speedy imploringly. He had no clue if Speedy knew anything about reproduction, but if she did, then she could surely help by doing a checkup and then mentioning it off-handedly or whatever.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Her expression relaxed as Charon assured her that nothing was wrong. The healer listened with quiet thoughtfulness as he explained his situation to her. It seemed he was having trouble understanding why his mate wasn't receptive yet this season. He brought up her age, and Speedy wondered if maybe that was the issue here. She let him finish speaking before she voiced any thoughts though. She could tell he felt strongly about this, and she formulated her words carefully, hoping to make it known that she was on his side just as much as she would be on his mate's side when she spoke with her. I don't mind talking to her at all, she answered first. She didn't think she could make Amekaze do anything she didn't want to do, but she could at least see if the alphess would confide in her at all. 

Has she said anything to you about it at all? she asked, wanting to get all the information straight before starting any kind of conversation with the other alpha about something as private as her age and the whether not it was affecting her ability to have more children this year.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Speedy said that she wouldn't mind talking to Ame, which was a load off Charon's mind already. He smiled appreciatively. Upon Speedy's question, he shrugged lightly. Sort of, he supposed, but not really. I'd been trying to prepare the birthing den, and she said it was early. She hasn't talked much about it. It's like she doesn't really see any rush herself. But then, he supposed that she didn't want to think of herself as old. And Charon knew better than to touch such subjects himself. That's why he put Speedy on the task.

It wouldn't hurt to do a check up, he decided. It was easier for a caretaker to do these things than a mate. Charon had never been good at being smooth about these sort of things. No doubt she would be on to him right away if he inquired about a fickle thing such as her age. As this was decided, Charon glanced up at Speedy and wondered out loud: How have you been holding up lately? He hadn't seen many of his pack's wolves of late. Some were out hunting for Revui, but some, like Satin or Llewellyn, he hadn't seen around much. Maybe it was just luck -- or lack thereof -- as their scents still lingered around the mountain. Even Speedy he had not seen that much, but it was good to know that she'd come when he called. Their last meeting had been pleasant, he remembered, and Charon really needed a friend. He could only hope she could be that, in time, rather than just 'the pack's medic'.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Hmm, Speedy said first with a small, pensive twist of her mouth. Well, I'll talk to her and hopefully find out what's going on, she answered with a thoughtful smile, happy to be trusted with such a sensitive task from her alpha. She hoped she wouldn't have to give him any bad news. She pushed the worrying thought from her mind, not wanting it to make her nervous about approaching Amekaze about something she may not be very keen on discussing, especially with someone she didn't know very well. It didn't matter though--Charon asked her to do it, and so she would do it. 

She smiled again at his next question. I've been okay, she answered. The blackfeather incident rarely terrorized her waking or sleeping moments anymore, although she continued to be worried about whether or not Revui was okay. I'm ready for it to be spring, she added, smiled growing. It was her favorite season. It was warmer, and the plants started growing again. She couldn't wait to see the mountain then.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon was glad that Speedy would talk about this with Amekaze, because he most certainly was way too cowardice to do so. And anyway, it seemed like the kind of subject that might be less sensitive coming from someone who was a healer of the pack. It was easier when your physician told you about fertility stuff than your partner, for sure. Thanks, he said and was glad that that weight was off his shoulders. He was looking forward to hear the outcome once it was done.

'Okay' wasn't the best, but considering it was winter that was pretty much good enough for Charon. He sympathised with her desire for spring, though mostly for different reasons: as leader Charon always felt more nervous in winter, when numbers were lower and the pups were barely a year of age, and the other factor was that he looked forward to becoming a father again. Either way, he nodded in sympathy and said, There's not a whole lot of great things about winter. But at least we're.. He looked thoughtful for a moment as he glanced at the sky. Halfway through, I'd say.

Really, there was only one thing that Charon really liked about winter. Only one good thing about winter, really... He wondered if Speedy would be up for a game, but she had seemed rather joking and bubbly when they'd first properly met, so, probably? And that's snow. Without further warning Charon batted a paw through the snow and threw a good dash of white fluff in the direction of Speedy's face. Because surprise starting of games gave a bigger chance at winning.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She had to agree that there were not really very many great things about winter. When he assured her that he thought they were about half way through the cold season, the empath smiled. She trusted his observation completely; he had been here surviving these winters long before she came, so she figured that probably made him an expert. She looked at him curiously when he stated there was something good about winter. She found that hard to believe. It was pretty she guessed, but spring was way prettier. He confusion only grew when he stated that reason was snow. She was about to ask what on earth could be good about snow, but she was interrupted by the something flying at her. The cold stuff landed right on her face, and she was briefly frozen with surprise, unsure at first what had even happened. When it registered, she laughed and gave Charon a playful glare. That's not very Alpha-like, she teased, shaking the snow from her fur. Grinning, she used her paw to send an unfortunately smaller pile of snow at him. Without looking to see if it even connected with Charon, she laughed again and took off running. If he wanted to throw more snow at her, then he would have to catch her first.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The serious bit of their meeting was over now, and Charon was ready for some fun. The whole thing with Ame was a little straining so honestly, Charon was glad to blow off steam for a bit.

A little bit of snow was sent back after Speedy sent a joking retort his way. Charon laughed as the joke and the dusting of snow hit him in the face. After shaking his head Charon looked up again to see Speedy dash off. With a playful growl rumbling in his throat Charon ran after Speedy, fully intent on catching her, and arrogantly thinking he could easily do so considering he knew his mountain so well. He growled, part of the game, as he ran after Speedy and jokingly commanded: By decree of the King of the mountain, I order you to stop!
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She grinned at his words, and a playful laugh escaped her as she stopped and turned to watch as he ran towards her. Well, if the king orders it, then I guess I have no choice but to obey, Speedy answered with faux-seriousness. Then she slid the front her body down in the snow, making a play-bow as as he neared. Her tail wagged excitedly in the air at the promise of play, especially at the idea of playing with Charon. Playing with those close to her was one of her favorite activities, but she honestly didn't expect to ever get to play with the seemingly very serious alpha, so she was pleasantly surprised with the direction this meeting was now heading. An exhilarated smile crossed the healer's face then as she waited to see what he would do next.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon hadn't actually expected Speedy to listen to his 'command'; he expected her to throw him a retort or just laugh at him and keep running, so admittedly when she played along and did stop he was surprised, though positively so. As she slid down into the snow in a play boy Charon slowed down his pace, coming to a halt in a pounce on the spot -- something that could only be described as a joyful jump in place.

For a moment he could be only Charon and not all the difficult things that clung to that, and just have some fun. His tail waved in a rare display of unbridled fun as Charon pawed at Speedy's lowered face. With a woof of excitement he then pounced at her, intending to bowl her over into the snow by putting his front legs on her right shoulder.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy couldn't help the excited laugh that rolled from her chest at his playful jump; she liked to see him let his guard down enough to play with her. She gently nipped in the direction of his paw when it came near her face, tail continuing to wag the entire time. And then he was leaping towards her, his front legs connecting with her shoulder and easily pushing her to ground. She was no match for his size and strength; she couldn't have resisted his push even if she wanted to. A soft giggle trickled from her as she met the snow, the force of the fall enough to emit a soft thump as she landed but not enough to cause any pain. She quickly turned her head in the direction of her alpha, waiting for his weight on top of her if he intended to pin her; if not, then she would swiftly hop to her feet and take off again.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
He easily managed to bowl her over, seeming to have the exact right momentum and timing in his favour. Charon grinned in satisfaction as he felt her weight crumple underneath his, having always been a rather competitive wolf. He stayed there for a moment, pinning her to the ground and pressing the front of his body against hers. Looks like I win, he said with a playful tone to his voice; poking to see if she would give up easily or if she would struggle or resist, in word or deed.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She couldn't do much under his weight except struggle and wiggle, but it was no use--she was trapped beneath his much larger form. She laughed a little breathlessly at his proclamation. This time, maybe, she replied. Maybe next time she would make him chase her a little; there was no way he could catch her if she took off. She may not be very big or strong, but she was pretty fast and she had yet to find anyone that could catch her in a game of chase. But next time, she said, wiggling once more under his weight. Next time, maybe i'll make it a little harder to catch me, the healer finished, laughing again. She wasn't quite so competitive; she mostly just like to play with her packmates, especially if she thought it helped take their mind off of whatever might be stressing them out.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
There was a spark of competition in her voice at first. Charon lingered a bit longer, to make her see that she'd really lost, but when her second statement came he laughed. Make it harder to catch you? What will you do, roll around in dead animals to make yourself more slippery and disgusting so I won't even want to wrestle you to the ground? Charon smirked at the thought (though it would be a very effective tactic, really). Then he let go of Speedy so she could get up again.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She quickly got to her feet, shaking out her coat once she was on all fours again. She turned to Charon, a playful smile on her face. I hadn't thought about that, she answered first, eyebrow raising in intrigue. But no, I mean that next time I won't even give you a chance to catch me, she said matter-of-factly, a slight shrug lifting her slender shoulder a little. He was much stronger than she was, but surely she was much faster--at least she hoped so now that she had opened her big mouth and stated as much. 

I like playful Charon, she said after a few moments. It's nice to see you not all serious, she continued, smiling still. She hoped she wasn't overstepping any boundaries by telling him that, but it was an honest observation, and she wasn't used to keeping things like that to herself. Plus, she hoped that he would seek her out in the future if he needed a break from being the alpha for a little bit.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Speedy reacted half-serious, half-playful to his silly suggestion, and he grinned. He'd had fun, he had to admit, and Charon enjoyed having fun. He just didn't get to have much of it these days.

Thanks, he said, the words coming out awkwardly. He opened his mouth, then closed it again and, eventually, confessed: It's nice to be not all serious. There was a warmth in his expression, and something strange and somehow good about sharing this with Speedy. There'd been a few like her before, and he wondered if Speedy was there to stay where the others had left. It was difficult making new friends knowing you might lose them again, and it was hard to give in to what others might perceive weaknesses. He and Ame had had fun, he vaguely remembered, but the last years they had mostly had parenting and ruling over the mountain on their agenda.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Wanna fade and have something more current? Maybe she can help cheer him up after his fight with Ame?

Well, you know where to find me if you ever need a break from being a leader, she offered, smiling once more. She had no plans to leave anytime soon. This time last year, she couldn't imagine being tied down by her loyalty to a pack but now, she couldn't imagine not having wolves to care for; it was her calling more than being a wanderer for sure, it had just taken her some time to figure that out. When gripped in the clutches of the interesting and addictive unknown that came with being lone and responsible for only herself, it was easy to forget the things that made her truly happy. 

She wagged her tail a little and looked in the direction of the borders. Do you want to do a patrol? the healer asked. I could tag along and keep you company, she offered next. Surely he had other things he needed to do that weren't playing with her.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon smiled too, glad that he had a back-up option on the mountain when duty was unfulfilling. He didn't voice it, but it was clear from his face that he very much appreciated these moments and this friendship.

That's a good idea, he replied when she offered company on the patrol. His tail wagged a friendly beat and Charon bumped his head against Speedy's shoulder as they made their way to the borders for a patrol. It was always better to patrol in good company than alone, after all.