Duck Lake Tablespoon of honey
I'M JUST A BELIEVER THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Private 

Settling into Easthollow has been thus far uneventful, which the bearish wolf is grateful for. Drama is among the top items on his list of things he doesn't want to deal with. He knows his uncle is a magnet for it. Kaisyn always grumped about how much he hated it, too, but everyone knew his uncle loved attention. Evergreen is content to stay outside the spotlight. Boring, perhaps, as Thistle likes to tease.

That is why boring Evergreen likes to take part in boring activities like fishing.

He's perched on the edge of Duck Lake. Earlier, he cleared the spot so the surface isn't cover in ice. If the temperatures were kinder, Evergreen would be submerged in. For now, however, he makes do and lays in wait akin to a cat ready to pounce on its prey.
Working on wrapping up current threads!
139 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Chai was utterly exhausted. For weeks on end now, she found herself alone and totally lost. Many thousands of miles stretched between her and home. A place which she wasn't sure she'd ever see again. She thought she had been going the right way, hot on the trail of her brother. But somewhere along the way she must have made a wrong turn. Nothing looked familiar. Every scent was strange...made her skin prickle with uncertainty.

She was not afraid. Nor skittish. Just...reasonably cautious, thrust into a strange new wilderness she knew nothing about. Though she had picked up the scent of others of her own kind, finding them right now was not on her to do list. She needed to rest...to let her travel worn body recover.

Tucked in the relative safety of the arms of the Aspen grove, the fiery female sought refuge. Having managed to find a spot where the ground sloped to form a sort of cradling nook, she had curled into tight ball of disheveled fur. She had glimpsed the blue of the lake nearby, and was relieved to know that she had a reliable water and potential food source. Of course, there was always a flip side to every coin. The constant chattering of the ducks, the rustling of their wings and disturbances of the water was a pain in the ass. Just when she began to feel the tug of sleep, the foul would start up with their ruckus again. Lips twitching in annoyance, she bundled herself tighter, resisting the great urge to just charge forth and send the flock packing.

i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
The fish were sluggish in the icy depths; winter affecting them just as it affected the creatures above the water’s surface. Evergreen is ever patient, however, and awaited the few that would make the mistake of wandering too close to his self-claimed patch. He remains still, a task he excels in ever since he was but a wee pup. Some used to call him lazy.

His green eyes narrow down on a target; a decently-sized fish swimming slowly along the edges of the cracked ice. Younger Evergreen would have darted into the waters in excitement. Older Evergreen knew to stay. He waited, and waited. Until finally, he sees the opportunity he’s been waiting for. Darting forth with jaws agape, he plunges his forearms into the icy cold waters.

Teeth successfully dig into the fish’s side. Evergreen rears his head; the fish flails in futile attempts to flee. It slaps him in the cheek a few times, causing the bearish wolf to blink his left eye in beat, but he has it locked down. Eventually, it flails no more. Victorious, the Easthollow newcomer shimmies his way back to shore with a proud grin—unaware of the nearby company.
139 Posts
Ooc — Mai
A pair of russet ears flickered to life atop her skull. Her sides heaved in an exasperated little sigh. She had not picked the most ideal place to try and nap. Foolish of her in doing so, but her mind had hardly been on the suitability of the location. Her body had demanded rest, and she simply gave in.

The chatter of the ducks only grew more intense. And a new sound accompanied their voices. Splashing water...freshly disturbed. By something too big to be just a zealous duck enjoying itself. Annoyed but now fully resigned to the fact that she would not be getting a wink of sleep, she uncurled herself and stood up. 

She'd show those little buggers. Bursting through the patchwork of Aspen trees with the last of her energy reserves, she charged towards the lake and the noisy ducks within. Already alarmed by the wolf who had caught his fish, the last of them scattered up and away...out of reach as she charged elbow deep into the water. Shivering, she backed up, watching as the flock was sent packing. Her icy eyes softened, lips pulling in a frown. They were gone for now...but as was a shot at a meal.

i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
He nearly tips forward, as suddenly from the undergrowth behind him are fast footsteps. Ears swerve backwards, Evergreen feels his hair stand on end akin to a startled feline. The squawking ducks complain even louder, and the majority of the flock takes to the skies. (He doesn’t blame them, if he had wings, he’d take off too.) Out of reflex, he bites down harder on the fish in his jaws.

The bearish wolf must look comical with a fish flopping in his jaws and wide green eyes, as he stares at the russet streak that suddenly thunders into the water a few feet away from him. Any of the birds that attempted to flee into the water have now followed their companions to the sky.

Well, that’s an interesting hunting strategy…

He swallows, releasing a noisy breath through his nose—he hadn’t realized he was holding it. “... Hungry?” It sounds more like “huawngwy?”; muffled and distorted by the fish in his jaws. Evergreen blinks.
139 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She had been so caught up in driving the ducks away, that she didn't even notice the bear like wolf so close by. When his bulky brown form did catch her eye, she backed up, clearly startled. She had never seen a wolf of such massive stature. Even her father was smaller, and he had passed on his size to his sons. The memory of family made her heart flutter. 

Forgetting about the loss of what could have been lunch, Chai crouched low. Her ears folded back, tail slipping low to rest at her ankles. He could be a pack wolf for all she knew. He could have laid claim to this land and she may be trespassing without even knowing it. 

But... Her eyes flicked up, hanging on the fish in his jaws. Then he spoke...though the words were garbled around the freshly caught meat. Her russet ears lifted, eyes soft. He didn't seem fearsome. Chai remained alert. She had had a few close shaves with wolves who were seemingly nice at first, and then turned wicked. She liked to believe she was a good judge of character. "Uhmm...sorry...say again?" She managed shyly, but as politely as she could, subtly trying to point out the obvious.

i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
She looks just as surprised as he is, once she realizes his presence. It isn't a normal occurrence that someone... doesn't spot him beforehand. His massive size and round physique aren't exactly easy to hide. Nonetheless, Evergreen tries to calm himself and appear friendly. His tail gives a few wags, eyebrows furrowing briefly in concern. By her staring at the fish in his mouth, he must have assumed right. Evergreen makes a noise in the back of his throat that sounds like weird mix between a cough and choking. He lowers his head, dropping the fish on the shore between them.

Uh, sorry. That was rude of me to talk with my mouth full, the bearish wolf says, and follows it with an awkward chuckle. Are you hungry? This time he asks properly. Lifting his right paw, he nudges the fish in the russet wolf's direction. I don't know if you like fish, but... you can have it if you want.
139 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She realized that she had been staring. Perhaps a little too long. At the fish...and at him. Even his paws were huge! But...all put together, adding in what now seemed to be friendly vibes...it gave him an odd cuteness. He seemed to get her silent message and dropped the fish, leaving himself free to speak properly. Surprisingly, Chai expressed no further interest in his catch. Instead she shook her head, offering a soft little laugh. "Rude? That's nothing compared to what I've seen others do." She jested lightly.

Only when he nudged the fish towards her, did she give it a glance. Her pale eyes returned from it and back to him. "No, no I couldn't. It's your catch...you earned it." Chai simply just couldn't take what wasn't rightfully hers, though she appreciated the gesture. She shifted to face the lake, but didn't turn away from Evergreen completely. Now that, would have been rude. "I'm...more annoyed than anything." Her delicate brows furrowed. "Or I was." Realizing how that might sound, she hurriedly added. "N-not at you...the ducks." All I wanted was a nice relaxing nap..." Her shoulders sagged some as if to emphasize her tiredness. "I...didn't exactly choose the most peaceful of spots now did I?" She eyed him with an embarrassed little smile.

i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Chai is so cute!

Compared to what others have done? He furrows his eyebrows. Sure, it wasn't... huge, he supposes, but it's impossible to understand someone when they've got a mouthful of food. His mama taught him manners; he best use 'em. It makes him wonder and worry, however, about what she has experienced. No one deserves to be treated poorly, in his opinion.

It's cool, I want you to have it— He cuts off, allowing her to explain further. At first, he gives her his best puppy dog eyes. Had he be annoying? Then, all the more reason for him to give her the fish as an apology! He must be wearing his thoughts on his face, since a moment later she clarifies that it hasn't been him. The ducks were the true culprits. Oohhh... so that's why you, uh, charged out here. He says in realization, and nods his head. That makes sense now!

Yeah, He laughs. It's a bit too cold out here too for a nap. Evergreen sniffs, expecting to pick up the scent of other wolves on her. Unfamiliar with most packs, it's the easiest way to tell. You aren't a part of a pack? He frowns, nudging the fish with his paw again to move it closer to her. Here. I can catch another one.
139 Posts
Ooc — Mai
The bearish wolf was insistent. He wanted her to have his fish. But Chai just didn't feel right accepting it. As he gave her his cutest look, complete with sweet puppy eyes and all, she felt herself cave. Her shoulders slumped slightly as she sighed to herself, giving in. She was a little hungry and some nourishment after her tiresome travels would serve her well. 

"Umm...yeah." She admitted with a hint of embarrassment in her voice. Picturing herself bursting out of the tree line like that, ducks scattering to fly away in all directions. She must have looked so silly. "I was just so exhausted...any place sheltered would do. But...I'm awake now." She added with a laugh, letting her eyes linger back on the cluster of Aspen trees one more time.

Then he noticed, with a sniff, that she was pack less. Tawny ears perking up to life, she focused back on his vibrant green eyes, which she just now truly noticed. Delicate facial features soft as usual, Chai shook her head. "N-no. I broke away from my birth pack. I didn't have a whole lot of say." The way in which she said this, the tone in her voice, did not necessarily suggest that she had been forced to leave negatively. She kept the part about following her siblings trail out. "It's been several months...and I really got no clue where I am." She took her turn, sniffing the air. Unlike her, the male bore the scent of others. As he nudged the fish closer and offered to fetch another, Chai didn't protest this time. "Thanks. You are being awfully generous..." Leaning down she gave the silver scaled treat a once over with her nose, before stripping away a slice of flesh with her teeth. Swallowing, she said "Your pack...is it close by?"

i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
He sympathizes; life as a loner is difficult. Not long ago, Evergreen and his sister, Thistle, were in the very same shoes this woman is in now. His ears fold, eyebrows furrowing in concern at the mention of how exhausted she is. It's then that he thinks of how thankful he is that Thistle was there during such harsh times. Without her, Evergreen is positive that the challenge would have been that much worse.

It's okay, he says, trying to soothe her however he can. His voice soft. My sister and I left our family pack and traveled here recently, too. It's... called, uh... Heck now that she mentions it, he doesn't have a clue what the name is. OK, I don't actually know the names of the territories yet either. Evergreen chuckles shyly. At this rate, he is just happy he finally convinced her to eat. She needed it more than he did. His stomach might grumble in protest, but he has enough fat on him to last two winters, let alone one.

Oh! Yeah it is, he pauses, wearing a broad grin. It's called Easthollow, kind of similar to a family pack? The leaders are named Valette and Greyback, and they encourage everyone to do their part but they seem kind. For now, Evergreen is happy at least. Thistle seems content, too. If you'd like, I could take you there? So you could see it for yourself... Oh! I never introduced myself. I'm, uh, Evergreen.
139 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Peering towards him through glacial blue eyes, she cracked a sad little smile. So he had been travelling with his sister? Good for him...he had the advantage of not being alone. "At least you had family by your side." She took another bite of flesh, any accompanying bones easily crunching under her teeth. 

"Still new too huh? That's okay...the best thing you can do is get out and explore." She expressed her opinion. Staying in one spot in a wild land she didn't know certainly wasn't going to do any favors. And it wasn't like some stranger passing by would come searching for a lost soul like her. No one knew she was here. Except for the bearish wolf she was conversing with.

Attentively she lifted her head, eyes gleaming with interest and even...hope, as he offered the details about his pack. The darkened tip of her tail thudded gently against the ground. The thought of a pack...a harmonious one, from what he described, tempted her. Made her heart ache and yearn for the closeness of family again. But oddly, a part of her wasn't so sure. "Well...I won't mind taking a sniff around the area. Where is it? I'll check it out sometime." But I'll mind my manners. Chai had been raised to respect the property of others. She wouldn't infringe on a home that wasn't hers. "Evergreen..." She hummed thoughtfully, with a look to match. "That's...a nice name. I'm Chai."

i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
PP of @Thistle with permission from her rper. Thank you for the thread, Mai <3

Yeah, I agree, Evergreen says with a firm nod of his head; he is fortunate to have Thistle with him, and he does agree that getting himself out there more will help him settle. So far, it has been going swimmingly. After all, he has managed to join a pack, and the people he has met have all been kind. His tail gives a soft wag, happy to see the lone wolf enjoying the meal.

As their conversation transitions to Easthollow itself, the bearish wolf wishes it were possible to convince the russet woman to join them. It's difficult being on your own during the winter, and it seems obvious to Evergreen she is lonely without her family. He couldn't imagine traveling all this way without Thistle. Ears perking, his smile grows; Easthollow is just south of here, a bit east. You'll see this oddly shaped mountain range, and on the east side of it is the pack. If you come visit, I'll meet you... Or, uh, if you get lost, I'm usually around so... All she has to do is call for him, and he'll be there in a heart beat.

Finally, names are passed; hers is Chai. Thanks, Chai, I like yours too. It's nice to meet you— Evergreen cuts off as a howl sounds off nearby. He gives Chai a sheepish look. Uh, sorry. I gotta go... That's my sister, he explains, giving a quiet laugh. I'll see you around? With one last smile, the Easthollow wolf gets to his feet and trots in the direction the summons came from. Just what is Thistle up to now?